Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blueribbonroy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
these instructions on this web site for ripping dvds have worked really great but today i did the movie the abyss and I cannot sink it to any of my ipods when I try it says "the movie the abyss cannot be played on this ipod. I have a touch and one of the square-ish nanos. what the heck is going on? thanks for the help!

blueribbonroy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
ok

cool im re doing the encoding task with ipod touch selected
I'll se how it goes ad get back to you all
later...
ok im back i used it and it worked like a charm, two more questions though. do I always have to use mac the ripper? and what do I do about DVDs of TV shows I tried to do a simpsons DVD and I only got one episode same with startrek what settings should I use to rip DVDs that have episode like that? thanks a lot for all the good help guys and girls!

blueribbonroy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
awesome

thatworked I should have known I was over looking something simple, two more questions though. do I always have to use mac the ripper? and what do I do about DVDs of TV shows I tried to do a simpsons DVD and I only got one episode same with startrek what settings should I use to rip DVDs that have episodes like that? thanks a lot for all the good help guys and girls!

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
No, you don't always need MactheRipper, Handbrake can read directly from the DVD.

In order to handle TV shows, use the queue. Choose the first title, give it a name and then press Add to Queue at the top. Repeat for every episode on the dis, then press start.

Buitenhuis

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2009
Handbrake

Use Handbrake and the setting for iPod.

I've converted DVD to .M4V format hoping the iPod will read but this is not the case. In Handbrake I can choose the output setting format: MP4 file but then the "iPod 5G support" box remains light (can not click). After the DVD is converted to M4V format, the iPod does not recognize the files and gives the error message: "..were not copied, because they can not be played on this iPod".

Did I do something wrong or do I have a problem with my iPod?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Which iPod preset are you using?

If you have the iPod 5G, then I believe you need to use iPod Low Res ...

Once you click on a preset, you do not need to change ANY setting, except the filename and where you want it saved.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
FairMount helps me out at times. It seems to fix ripping when the DVD maker puts bad sectors on the disc to thwart ripping. Maybe that's just paranoia from the issues I had with HandBrake due to a stupid custom preset, but I use FairMount all of the time now. It's ridiculous to see how many bad cells some of these discs have.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
cool im re doing the encoding task with ipod touch selected
I'll se how it goes ad get back to you all
later...
ok im back i used it and it worked like a charm, two more questions though. do I always have to use mac the ripper? and what do I do about DVDs of TV shows I tried to do a simpsons DVD and I only got one episode same with startrek what settings should I use to rip DVDs that have episode like that? thanks a lot for all the good help guys and girls!

Where is this setting, my wife is trying to put a movie on her Ipod Classic using handbrake also

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    135.1 KB · Views: 63
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.