Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerBook User

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2003
I need some help hooking up a second hard drive to my friend's Blue and White Power Mac G3. I tried hooking a second IDE hard drive where the Zip drive would go (it had no Zip drive). When I tried stating up the computer, OS 9 froze during startup. In OS X, the computer was VERY slow, but the hard drive did not show up on the desktop. Both hard drives are in good working order. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance!

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
if the g3 is a rev 1 it wont work without an ata card (like tempo trio) if it's a rev 2 it will work as slave to the first HD don't put it in the zip bay put it on the bottom where the HD brackets are

KC9AIC

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
Tokyo, Japan or Longview, Texas
Make sure the drive is running as a slave and is connected as such. Changing a drive from master to slave is usually done using some shorting bar on the front, next to the connectors, or on the circuit board.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
it would be hard to put 2 drives on the same cable in a rev. 1 as there is no stacked bracket. there are only the flat brackets which take just 1 drive each. I have a rev. 2 and have the dual drive bracket so I run a master and slave in it off the factory cable and onboard ata/33 bus. the only way you could put 2 on the same cable in a rev. 1 is to get a long cable with lots of room between the 2 data plugs.

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
blue&whiteman said:
it would be hard to put 2 drives on the same cable in a rev. 1 as there is no stacked bracket. there are only the flat brackets which take just 1 drive each. I have a rev. 2 and have the dual drive bracket so I run a master and slave in it off the factory cable and onboard ata/33 bus. the only way you could put 2 on the same cable in a rev. 1 is to get a long cable with lots of room between the 2 data plugs.

You don't need a long cable. When I tried it out (just to see what would happen) when I had a blue and white, I just used a standard ide cable from my PC. Then put the hard drive right next to it. It seemed to work fine, and I had no proof of data corruption, but I disconnected it right after seeing that it did work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.