PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer 6

arn
Jun 12, 2002, 05:59 AM
Those of you waiting for the next Internet Explorer release (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/05/20020522171655.shtml) may have to wait a bit longer.

Previously rumored to be holding up 10.1.5, IE 6 now appears to be pushed back a bit further... but does appear to come with significant speed and compliance improvements according to Think Secret (http://www.thinksecret.com/features/msieupdate2.html).

iGav
Jun 12, 2002, 06:09 AM
Bloody Microsoft......... :( :rolleyes:

As well as speed I hope they sort out the stability as well...... :rolleyes: :)

kainjow
Jun 12, 2002, 06:35 AM
Yes, I too just hope they sort out all the bugs and such. It's very buggy, but it's a great browser. Can't wait for v6! (maybe tabbed browsing will be incorporated!)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 12, 2002, 06:36 AM
Hmm, do you think the new Apple Ads helped MS *delay* the release? Ha. Figures. How long has 6 been available for the PC now?

Edge100
Jun 12, 2002, 06:48 AM
Who really cares. Even if Microsoft is "delayed" because of the recent Apple ads, it just shows how arrogant they are to think that what they do with their crappy browser has any impact on most Mac users.

Sure, I'd love to see a better IE. Its still necessary for some sites (banking, for one). But there are better alternatives, and most Mac users know it. Why doesnt M$ just get on with it already and win market share by actually having the BEST browser, rather than just by bullying people around. With Office, they can get away with it; Apple needs MS Office to attract PC users. But with browsers, sorry M$. You'll have to win that war on your merits.

britboy
Jun 12, 2002, 07:02 AM
It doesn't really concern me. For all i care, they could delay it till kingdom come, and i'd still be happy. Mac OS X has some very good browsers, all of which are ever improving. We're no longer dependant on m$ for anything resembling good browsing.

Microsoft probably delayed ie6 so that they can bloat it out some more.... :rolleyes:

mmmdreg
Jun 12, 2002, 07:09 AM
although I use Chimera for everything that doesn't need IE, I still like to be up-to-date at all times and that means having the best and latest software...so I want IE6 even if it just sits there gathering dust in my dock..

j763
Jun 12, 2002, 07:13 AM
M$ -- I don't want new features... I want your product to work as advertised. That is, it can use a IIS Proxy on a wintel network without crashing every 100KB of data loaded...

whawho
Jun 12, 2002, 07:18 AM
If it ends up being the best browser on the Mac than I will use it. I don't really care who makes the browser as long as it's the fastest and most complete.

McFreggle
Jun 12, 2002, 07:19 AM
Who cares when you have OmniWeb :D

k.

(On the other side... we still have to wait a long time for OmniWeb 5)

blogo
Jun 12, 2002, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by McFreggle

k.

Moxiemike
Jun 12, 2002, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Eple

I could live with IE being a *bit* slower in exchange for it not crashing so much. There are a lot of good features of it, but like you guys say, it's madddddd buggy.

I'd use OW full time if I could figure out how to get pop-up windows to work-- one of the main sites I have designed has pop up windows and they don't wanna work in OW.

it Sux.

m

Mr. Anderson
Jun 12, 2002, 08:37 AM
Well, if Apple puts .html compatibility into Sherlock3, then we might not need to worry about IE. That would be very cool.

chmorley
Jun 12, 2002, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Moxiemike

I could live with IE being a *bit* slower in exchange for it not crashing so much. There are a lot of good features of it, but like you guys say, it's madddddd buggy.

I'd use OW full time if I could figure out how to get pop-up windows to work-- one of the main sites I have designed has pop up windows and they don't wanna work in OW.

it Sux.

m
Try Mozilla 1.0. On my machine (and according to most here), it is much faster and much more stable than IE. Don't start with v1.1a, as people are reporting it is buggy.

We have lots of choices, and they are improving. However (and I hate to say this), none of them is as complete as IE 6 for the PC. Hopefully that will change before the end of the year.

Chris

drastik
Jun 12, 2002, 08:39 AM
Really, I couldn't care less. M$ can take a leap for all I care.

Now, that said, IE remains familier to every PC user in the land, M$ made ****** sure of that. One of the big apple push points for converts is ease of transition. It might benifit to have the updated version, but as long a M$ doesn't just drop support, I think it will be fine.

They're are better browsers, and people who know about them will use them, others will use IE, theres just no accounting for taste.

eyelikeart
Jun 12, 2002, 08:39 AM
well if there are no significant speed improvements...what are we waiting for...a new interface?!

I can wait... ;)

jamesbhai
Jun 12, 2002, 08:40 AM
is anyone surprised? does anyone care? okay, for some sites, but otherwise, microshaft can go jump off a bridge. did we expect them to put out a timely update to a product? those who use entourage but have no syncing conduits for another month sure don't. i just wish omniweb would hurry up too. give me good microsoft alternative and i'll take it.

Moxiemike
Jun 12, 2002, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by chmorley

Try Mozilla 1.0. On my machine (and according to most here), it is much faster and much more stable than IE. Don't start with v1.1a, as people are reporting it is buggy.

We have lots of choices, and they are improving. However (and I hate to say this), none of them is as complete as IE 6 for the PC. Hopefully that will change before the end of the year.

Chris

I hear ya on IE and its "completeness." I tried a combo of Mozilla, Chimera, Netscape and OW for awhile....it seemed that each one was missing something the other had, making me have to keep all of them on my machine... that was kinda annoying-- I'm a simple man, what can I say! :)

:rolleyes: :D

benjaminpg
Jun 12, 2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Moxiemike

it Sux.

m
Try opening the preferences and clicking on the Java Script button. Then select scripts are allowed to open new windows: always. This setting is supposed to disable pop up ad windows, but sometimes it gets in the way of other things. I hope this helps

Cappy
Jun 12, 2002, 11:20 AM
IE 6 on the PC might be "complete" as you put it but it is nowhere near as stable as IE 5.5sp1 and sp2 was under Win2k. I hate using IE6 on Win2k or WinXP.

Kid Red
Jun 12, 2002, 11:58 AM
Wake me up when it cocoa.

Also, if delayed because of Apple, I'd think it was because Apple didn't hold the release of 10.1.5 and not really because of the ads.

TechLarry
Jun 12, 2002, 12:00 PM
Frankly, who cares. Mozilla 1.0 is out and is working extremely well.

TL

TechLarry
Jun 12, 2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Hmm, do you think the new Apple Ads helped MS *delay* the release? Ha. Figures. How long has 6 been available for the PC now?

You know the old saying, be careful what you wish for :)

IE6 on the PC is the worst version I've ever used.

It is unstable, locks up constantly, it's not particularly fast, and there are other internal changes that are more of a problem than an improvement.

I still use IE 5.01 on all my PC's, except the one running XP. There, I have no real choice.

TL

TechLarry
Jun 12, 2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Cappy
IE 6 on the PC might be "complete" as you put it but it is nowhere near as stable as IE 5.5sp1 and sp2 was under Win2k. I hate using IE6 on Win2k or WinXP.

I hear ya!

IE 6 is TERRIBLE!

TL

Sun Baked
Jun 12, 2002, 12:20 PM
Mozilla 1.1a

A little more polished, sucks we've been waiting since that first ugly replacement after 4.7 to once again see this level of polish.

Still hate the non-Mac drawing routines they insist on using.

foofan
Jun 12, 2002, 01:16 PM
That company and browser seems to have gone down hill quick. I'm also surprised AOL hasn't switched all their software to use netscape. They paid tons of money for it.

gandalf55
Jun 12, 2002, 05:43 PM
Mozilla is pretty awesome. I use it a lot now instead of IE.

j763
Jun 12, 2002, 06:40 PM
chimera will be the way to go in a little while, once they sort out downloads...

King Cobra
Jun 12, 2002, 08:02 PM
Quite frankly IE would be the last browser on my list of browsers to use, in case my backup broswers are not working. I have not seen Ie to be fast at all, but I guess it depends on the computer and settings with each individual computer.

Besides, Mozilla 1.0 with the pinball theme looks way better than the Netscape 6.1/Mozilla theme. It's a bit more aqua and looks much more like OS X. But it's not like OmniWeb.

I'm glad Apple went with 10.1.5, instead of waiting for some IE update. And since IE 6 will be a while, I guess that says something about how Apple feels about waiting for things to get finished (by m$).

Fear the King.

Choppaface
Jun 13, 2002, 03:16 AM
IE 6 for mac would be great assuming they could get it up near the speeds that it runs in windows. IE has only crashed a couple times for me in either box, and contrary to what people say, mozilla is SLOWER than IE both on my mac and my PC.

eric_n_dfw
Jun 13, 2002, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Choppaface
IE 6 for mac would be great assuming they could get it up near the speeds that it runs in windows. IE has only crashed a couple times for me in either box, and contrary to what people say, mozilla is SLOWER than IE both on my mac and my PC.
Then I don't know what's wrong with your machine - Mozilla (1.0pr3) on my Dell laptop (750MHz P3 w/ 256MB ram) is as fast or faster than IE 5.5. At home, on my G4 400 Chimera is a little faster at rendering but much slower at starting up.

benjc
Jun 13, 2002, 01:46 PM
I've been using Mozilla now for quite a while as my primary browser because it's quite nice... particularly with tabbed browsing and excellent support of standards etc... I can trust it to render things properly across platforms etc... the same every time.

I just got 1.1a and it's awesome!!! Anti-aliased text that is beautiful, and it's actually faster... or so it seems. Maybe it's just so nice to look at that it feels that way, but it's by far the best browser out there right now. It just feels stable and fully functional.

I've used OmniWeb - pretty but useless because it sucks at any real site using javascript or anything... including any useful site I design -- IE which is very useable, but not that fun to use, ugly, and kind of sluggish -- Chimera which is coming along but not quite there, and Mozilla's interface is actually nicer, especially now that it has anti-aliased text -- and Opera... which well, isn't so great in my opinion...

Mozilla 1.0 and greater, especially the new 1.1a is the best I've seen, and it's the same on every platform you try it on, unlike every other iteration of a browser out there.

I've also attatched an image showing the pinball theme and anti-aliased text... it's nice :)

Inhale420
Jun 14, 2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by mmmdreg
although I use Chimera for everything that doesn't need IE, I still like to be up-to-date at all times and that means having the best and latest software...so I want IE6 even if it just sits there gathering dust in my dock..

why do you bother putting it in your dock?

Inhale420
Jun 14, 2002, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by McFreggle

k.

people like me who don't understand paying for something that you usually get for free.

Inhale420
Jun 14, 2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Well, if Apple puts .html compatibility into Sherlock3, then we might not need to worry about IE. That would be very cool.

i think you underestimate how much development effort it takes to make a good browser. that would be hard to achieve when it's part of a multi-functional app and you want all if it working properly. you're right that it would be cool though.

Inhale420
Jun 14, 2002, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by TechLarry
Frankly, who cares. Mozilla 1.0 is out and is working extremely well.

TL

i use mozilla as well, and guess what? if microsoft comes out with a better browser, i'm using it. hopefully they come out with outlook express for os x.

Inhale420
Jun 14, 2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Choppaface

i agree, on my pc mozilla is slower. i've never experienced ANY of the bugginess people have been talking about with ie 6. on my mac BOTH are slow as hell. i just happen to think that mozilla is the best overall. i like the mail client too.

chmorley
Jun 15, 2002, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Inhale420
i use mozilla as well, and guess what? if microsoft comes out with a better browser, i'm using it. hopefully they come out with outlook express for os x.
I'm with you on Mozilla/M$. I use Mozilla because it's the best option available today. If IE became usable (i.e., fast & stable), I would switch in a heartbeat. As much as I despise M$'s anti-competitive tactics, I am not willing to take a moral stand on free software if it affects my life.

You lost me on Outlook Express for OS X, though. What's wrong with Entourage? What does Entourage have that Outlook Express doesn't? I think Entourage was intended to be something between Outlook Express and Outlook for Win9x. It offers more features than the first, but less than the second. I doubt the MacBU is working on a scaled-down version of Entourage.

I think OE is dead on the Mac platform.

Chris

P.S., Choppaface--who commented on how fast Mozilla was on your computers? Most halfway intelligent folks here have accepted that different people get different results on different machines. I can't imagine anyone knows how software runs on your hardware but you.

mmmdreg
Jun 15, 2002, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Inhale420

why do you bother putting it in your dock?

because IE can be useful for somethings and my dock isnt exactly full..why not start a dock pics thread again and you'll see how full some are compared to mine..

Cloudscout
Jun 15, 2002, 10:30 AM
The new version is going to be released Monday (http://www.obzorg.org/archives/00000051.shtml) and it is going to be version 5.2, not 6.0 or 5.5.

AtlantaGuy
Jun 15, 2002, 04:16 PM
Atlanta's First Multiple Listing Service will soon go to a web-based system, but, until IE 5.5+ arrives, we Mac-users are out of luck. Of course, FMLS could not care less, since their tech support clowns claim there are only 4 Mac-based Realtors out of 15,000+ Realtors in our metro population of over 4 million. Idiots! Here's the result of trying to access www.mlxchange.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"Thank you for your interest in MLXchange

MLXchange was specifically designed for Internet Explorer versions 5.5 or greater. Your browser version is not supported. To download the latest version of Internet Explorer, visit the Internet Explorer Downloads Web site.

Once Internet Explorer is installed, you can go to the MLXchange site by typing http://www.mlxchange.com into the address bar.

MLXchange is the premeire web application that helps Realtors get the most out of their business."