Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
A dual 750 for my 450 would be nice, but there is nothing in this about duals. Anyone know if they plan on providing Dual upgrades?

Zaren

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2000
Wow

Nice speed boost. The thought of a 1 Ghz Cube amuses me... wonder how well a machine like that would handle a heat increase from a faster CPU.
-----
Apple hardware still too expensive? How about a raffle ticket?

groov'

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2001
Netherlands
so ..... exit G4 1Ghz for Apple?

Powerlogic upgrade cards at 1 Ghz..... in july/august

Hmmmm .... sounds like Apple is going to jump easily over the 1 Ghz barrier ???

Is there hope for a G5 now?

synergy

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2002
Quit worrying about the G5. It will come when it comes.

Now having a G4 400 and the opportunity to upgrade my CPU. That means Apple has to put out some serious machine for me to want to buy a new box as opposed to upgrading.

Guess july will tell. :)

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Incredible, I can make beter deals here in Venezuela.

I had my G4 400, the guy at the store gave me a Dual 500, took the price off of the 400 and all I have to pay now (with credit btw) is $275 difference!

My new dual is Apple made, that means that I won't have problem with OSX reconizing the hardware.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Looks like the writing is on the wall folks.... In my eyes this pretty much seals the deal that Apple has something in the wings to REALLY impress at MWNY. Otherwise they'd never let this happen.

You gotta know Apple has a fair bit of say as to what PowerLogix can and can't do (in as far as getting CPU's from mot and/or support chips etc). I mean lets face it does anyone really think it took PowerLogix this long to come up with an upgrade path for G4 owners? I sure don't. Something else... Something political... was keeping them from doing it.

Well now it seems that political blockade has been removed and I highly doubt that the date at which the blockade is being been removed is a coincidence. More proof that the issues PowerLogix was having were 'political' and not 'technological' in nature.

Either way it's good news for the home team! (aka US!)

I've owned quite a few desktop Mac's from a Mac Plus to a Mac IIci to an 8500 to my current G4/450AGP with gobs of memory. As you can see I've never purchased the same CPU family twice and just can't seem to bring myself to do it now. I have a feeling many others feel the exact same way. I also think Apple knows this all too well.

Do I think we'll see the G5 this July? I dunno but if not I'm happy to see I now have a choice to use CPU upgrades to tide me over till it does ship. The fact that these CPU upgrades are finally gonna ship sure gives the 'pro-G5 @ MW' crowd a big shot in the arm.

Exciting times ahead...

Dave

MadDogg

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2002
Careful!!!

Be VERY cautious when dealing with this company. I have had to return defective cards and will never buy a PowerLogix product again. Customer service was rude and never fullfilled their promises. Stick with Sonnet or wait for Newer.

I'm out $$$ that I'll never see again. Live and learn.

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
By the sounds of it, guys, Sonnet will have upgrade cards out shortly.

The installation of the product sounds easy, and it appears as though PowerLogix has done little or no work to get these upgrade cards rolling.

Sonnet should be able to do the same.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
heat in a cube

Does anyone know how the heat on the G4 1GHZ would effect a cube? I am looking at one right now that my buddy is selling, and this would be a nice upgrade path, but, would the heat be an issue? How much heat does the 1Ghz put off compared to the 500 MHZ? Anyone know?

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I've always been a Sonnett fan myself...but this is still nice...

I wonder if I can conjur my boss to give me a "boost" in performance?

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
You know, those cube's didn't sell all that well when they first came out, but if I could upgrade one to a 1ghz apollo (which is supposed to be low heat right?), I'd pick one up off ebay in a new york minute.

Suddenly, one of my biggest beefs with Apple (as a former Apple basher), namely that Apple's couldn't be upgraded for sh*t, has gone out the window.

Pinch me or something...

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Originally posted by mcrain
You know, those cube's didn't sell all that well when they first came out, but if I could upgrade one to a 1ghz apollo (which is supposed to be low heat right?), I'd pick one up off ebay in a new york minute.

Suddenly, one of my biggest beefs with Apple (as a former Apple basher), namely that Apple's couldn't be upgraded for sh*t, has gone out the window.

Pinch me or something...

Pinch. he.he. I am really thinking about getting this cube that my friend has. It has less than 20 hours of use. 1.5 gig, 60 gig HD, 32 MB radeon, and G4 500 with the CDRW built in. It also has a 17 inch Apple studio display all for 1500. yep, I am going to call him and tell him that I want it.

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
Upgrading the Cube to 1GHz might prove difficult, as it sounds like the only upgrade for PowerMacs with a 100MHz system bus will be a 750MHz chip.

If you look at it like this:

750 = 7.5 x 100
1000 = 7.5 x 133

So, Cube owners may only be able to push their Cubes to 750MHz, especially when one considers the writing style of the press release. The article seems shady on details, so I wouldn't expect a Cube upgrade beyond 750Mhz, at least for a while.

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
cool

I just picked up a G4 400 off a friend who's moving to Chile. (He went out and got a new iPod and 800 TiBook, like the jerk he i... Oh, sorry.) Anyway, putting ina serious upgrade would be nice, since it has a ton of drive space and I want to use it for some video.

One thing though, I love dearly my old Pismo Firebook, I've even taken the loving care to paint it in snazy camo style. Its still great for browsing and my script writting, and its the best portable DVD player of all time (S-Video output). That said, does anyone, anywhere know of a possible upgrade. I've been told there is a RAM imaging problem. I don't know what this means, but I'd love to put some power in the machine.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Pinch. he.he. I am really thinking about getting this cube that my friend has. It has less than 20 hours of use. 1.5 gig, 60 gig HD, 32 MB radeon, and G4 500 with the CDRW built in. It also has a 17 inch Apple studio display all for 1500. yep, I am going to call him and tell him that I want it.

Aw, BTTM, you really shouldn't buy that just for 'lil ol me... *blush* thanks!!

Just kidding... the cube is one cool looking machine, and with the boosted speed (if possible) will make it really nice.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Originally posted by mcrain

Aw, BTTM, you really shouldn't buy that just for 'lil ol me... *blush* thanks!!

Just kidding... the cube is one cool looking machine, and with the boosted speed (if possible) will make it really nice.

Even if it doesn't it is the coolest Mac ever in my opinion. It has everything it will need to run 10.2 well, so I think that I am going to go for it.

rugby

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
chicago
Go here: http://www.sonnettech.com/product/encore_st.html and click the link at the bottom that says

†Note: There is a compatibility issue with a part used in some of these machines; please read the online support page for more details.

if you have a certain version of G4 dual cpu's will NOT work, no matter what you try.

Originally posted by mymemory
Incredible, I can make beter deals here in Venezuela.

I had my G4 400, the guy at the store gave me a Dual 500, took the price off of the 400 and all I have to pay now (with credit btw) is $275 difference!

My new dual is Apple made, that means that I won't have problem with OSX reconizing the hardware.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Originally posted by rugby
Go here: http://www.sonnettech.com/product/encore_st.html and click the link at the bottom that says

†Note: There is a compatibility issue with a part used in some of these machines; please read the online support page for more details.

if you have a certain version of G4 dual cpu's will NOT work, no matter what you try.

Thanks for the heads up on that rugby. Well, I am going to do a little research and see if the cube could take the heat. I saw on the screen savers once that a guy had modified his cube to a dual 500. That was nuts.

meta-ghost

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2002
San Francisco
Originally posted by rugby

Yes, but that is Sonnet. Will this be the same with PowerLogix?

Skandranon

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2002
North Carolina
Yeow!

Dude. My shao's gonna be so pimped out. And here I was, preparing to send my G4 400 off to PowerMax. Nevermind. A jump to 750 Mhz is exactly what I need right now. And for under $500? Let me at it.

:cool: :D :cool: :D :cool: :D :)

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
I definitely wouldn't mind a power boost for my Cube, especially if it had an L3 cache...

Wish I had the money to get one!

ThomasB

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2001
Originally posted by badtz
would a single 1ghz be faster than a dual 500mhz [bus =100] in programs that are multi-threaded well?

Yes. Definitely.

I'm looking forward to people selling their old 667-800's on eBay.

-Thomas

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2001
Montgomery, AL
About upgrading The Cube

As a cube owner, I can tell you ALL ABOUT upgrading the cube. My 450 is a great little box, but I've looked into the dual 500s and found that the heat increase is within tolerable specs with a modified heatsink. It's at the high end, granted, but it will be fine. Here's the interesting part. The cube has a mounting bracket in its internal base for an 80mmx80mmx15mm fan, and there is a power lead for the fan on the logic board. It's n easy install compared to the CPU upgrade, which isn't that hard itself. Put the fan in with a Radeon and Dual 500s and you get an op temp of around 10 degrees C, which I think we'd all agree is GREAT. A 2000 rpm fan can't even be heard above the Radeon or GeForce3 fan, either. It's a great solution to the heat problem that Apple obviously expected to have to deal with one day.

P.S.-I'm holding out for dual 800s. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.