PDA

View Full Version : Could this replace the iSight?

Awimoway
Mar 6, 2004, 02:07 PM
Philips is demonstrating a new fluid lens camera technology that... mimics the action of the human eye using a fluid lens that alters its focal length by changing its shape. The new lens, which lends itself to high volume manufacturing, overcomes the fixed-focus disadvantages of many of today’s low-cost imaging systems.

The fluid lens measures a mere 3 mm in diameter by 2.2 mm in length, making it easy to incorporate into miniature optical products. The focal range provided by the demonstrator extends from 5 cm to infinity and it is extremely fast: switching over the full focal range is obtained in less than 10 ms. Controlled by a dc voltage and presenting a capacitive load, the lens consumes virtually zero power, which for battery powered portable applications gives it a real advantage. The durability of the lens is also very high, Philips having already tested the lens with over 1 million focusing operations without loss of optical performance. It also has the potential to be both shock resistant and capable of operating over a wide temperature range, suiting it for mobile applications. Its construction is regarded as compatible with high-volume manufacturing techniques.

http://palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=6605

I could easily see this being incorporated directly into display bezels of PowerBooks and perhaps even desktop displays as a way of bypassng the clunky clip-on iSights used now.

And if they ever make a video iPod (though I'm not holding my breath that we'll ever see one), you could slap one of these lenses on with little effort and add another dimension of functionality.

alset
Mar 6, 2004, 03:29 PM
I could easily see this being incorporated directly into display bezels of PowerBooks and perhaps even desktop displays as a way of bypassng the clunky clip-on iSights used now.

And if they ever make a video iPod (though I'm not holding my breath that we'll ever see one), you could slap one of these lenses on with little effort and add another dimension of functionality.

It's a nice thought, but I'm sure it's a long way off. Sounds expensive. One thing's for sure, though.... My kids are gonna have it way too good on the tech front. I'm actually jealous of them, until I remind myself that they won't have the appreciation for things like this that their parents will have. Damn kids. :rolleyes:

Dan

Dippo
Mar 6, 2004, 04:38 PM
It's a nice thought, but I'm sure it's a long way off. Sounds expensive. One thing's for sure, though.... My kids are gonna have it way too good on the tech front. I'm actually jealous of them, until I remind myself that they won't have the appreciation for things like this that their parents will have. Damn kids. :rolleyes:

Dan

Your kids will think that before the computer & cell phones, it was the dark ages...

As for the palm camera, I think it is a good idea, but I haven't known palm to come out with any new tech really ever....so it remains to see if we will ever see this camera in any product.

evoluzione
Mar 6, 2004, 04:39 PM
makes me wonder about all these techy genius people...all the best and most advanced designs appearing are simply based on the human body or whatever.

i hear stuff in the news about this big scientific breakthrough in the field of medicine/technology etc, and think to myself, well no ******. maybe things are too simple and too logical to consider further? i dunno, we sure as hell can learn ab lot if we just looked at the world around us once in a while.

having said that, it's sounds very cool, i can't wait!

Thanatoast
Mar 6, 2004, 07:41 PM
makes me wonder about all these techy genius people...all the best and most advanced designs appearing are simply based on the human body or whatever.

i hear stuff in the news about this big scientific breakthrough in the field of medicine/technology etc, and think to myself, well no ******. maybe things are too simple and too logical to consider further? i dunno, we sure as hell can learn ab lot if we just looked at the world around us once in a while.

having said that, it's sounds very cool, i can't wait!
It's not that scientists haven't been impressed with the natural world, it's that they haven't had the technology to replicate it, so they came up with the mechanical alternatives we're used to.

As for having this lense imbedded in the bezel of a screen, I think it would be kind of freaky to see my computer "focusing" on me. Brrrr. [Warning: This product not recommended for paranoid delusionals] "My computer is spying on me! I can see it watching while I type....."

G4scott
Mar 6, 2004, 08:12 PM
I don't think this is going to cost a whole lot, seeing as it's meant for small, cheap, consumer cameras...

It does sound promising, though...

wdlove
Mar 6, 2004, 09:43 PM
At this point I would prefer to stick with the iSight made by Apple. We have the iSight now.