PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Church Planned For Wales

themoonisdown09
Jan 13, 2009, 09:53 AM
Here is a snippet from the article:

Two Star Wars-loving brothers planning a Jedi church hope it will be much nearer than a galaxy far, far away.

Barney and Daniel Jones want fellow devotees to be able to join them close to their home on Anglesey.

Barney, 26 - or Master Jonba Hehol - and Daniel, 21 - Master Morda Hehol - head the UK Church of the Jedi, in honour of the film's good knights.

They say their services will include sermons on "the Force," light sabre training, and meditation techniques.

Hairdresser Barney became interested in the Jedi faith after 390,000 other Star Wars fans across England and Wales declared it as their religion on the 2001 census.

An internet campaign was fought to see Jedi officially included in the list and although this did not happen, collators included a special code to register the Jedis.

He said: "As children we always watched the Star Wars films anyway. We noticed that there were a couple of sites on the internet, Jedi church sites.

"We printed off a couple of sermons and did a sermon in our house for a couple of friends one night."

Barney and his musician brother Daniel, from Holyhead, help run four websites devoted to the development of the "faith".

They plan to go to the official opening of a Surrey-based branch or "chapter" of the UK Church of the Jedi in April, and hope to hire an Anglesey venue for their own services.

Already six followers regularly meet in north Wales to discuss setting up the "church".

Full article link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/7200531.stm)

Abstract
Jan 13, 2009, 10:18 AM
Yeah, but they're Welsh. Surely this fact takes any legitimacy away.

remmy
Jan 13, 2009, 11:26 AM
10 years from now it will be as big as scientology. And probably just as ridiculed.

atszyman
Jan 13, 2009, 11:29 AM
Call me when they start levitating stuff and building light sabres... I'll sign up then.

bartelby
Jan 13, 2009, 11:29 AM
10 years from now it will be as big as scientology. And probably just as ridiculed.

But a lot cheaper ...

dejo
Jan 13, 2009, 11:30 AM
I wanted to join but didn't have enough midi-chlorians...

SteveMobs
Jan 13, 2009, 11:32 AM
At least they'll openly admit this one is fiction. Haha, but it's all good.

Queso
Jan 13, 2009, 11:41 AM
Anglesey eh? Where else? :D

garybUK
Jan 13, 2009, 11:44 AM
Anglesey eh? Where else? :D

Must get boring out there on that little island :) Gorgeous place though.

yellow
Jan 13, 2009, 11:49 AM
Will their faith be stronger than the FSM?

Abstract
Jan 13, 2009, 12:34 PM
So it's Yoda versus Xenu for intergalactic and religious supremacy?

Consultant
Jan 13, 2009, 01:07 PM
I guess it's too cold to make crop circles right now. They need something to pass the time.

Call me when they start levitating stuff and building light sabres... I'll sign up then.

"New Toy Teaches You How To Wield 'The Force' Using Brainwaves Or Something"
http://www.geekologie.com/2009/01/zomg_new_toy_teaches_you_how_t.php

Jaffa Cake
Jan 13, 2009, 01:11 PM
10 years from now it will be as big as scientology. And probably just as ridiculed.I find your lack of faith disturbing.

atszyman
Jan 13, 2009, 01:22 PM
I guess it's too cold to make crop circles right now. They need something to pass the time.

"New Toy Teaches You How To Wield 'The Force' Using Brainwaves Or Something"
http://www.geekologie.com/2009/01/zomg_new_toy_teaches_you_how_t.php

Bah, concentrating to turn on a fan? I want to be lifting cars in the parking lot.

And I want a GodForce-damned light sabre.

XnavxeMiyyep
Jan 13, 2009, 02:31 PM
Just wait until Lucas sues them for copyright infringement!

Sun Baked
Jan 13, 2009, 02:32 PM
Got to be better than the other church of sci-fi, scientology. ;)

And those who mock the Jedi, will have their Dianetics book cut in half with a lightsaber.

barkmonster
Jan 13, 2009, 04:01 PM
Supernatural forces were the fascination thousands of years ago and it gave all those culturally irrelevant religions people still won't shut up or stop fighting over to this day a way of suckering people in with the fear of what might happen after death if you don't think like they do.

Plus, they could make May the 4th a bank holiday one day because of it :D

gkarris
Jan 13, 2009, 04:04 PM
I say throw these guys to the Lions... :eek:

;)

:D

waffle911
Jan 13, 2009, 06:15 PM
If you know where to look, there are some pretty damned good semi-functioning lightsaber replicas on the market, albeit without the actual ability to slice anything.

BornAgainMac
Jan 13, 2009, 07:11 PM
Too bad Jedi don't exist. It would be interesting to see how they would do in the middle east conflict. Also Klingons in the Middle East would be interesting along with the Borg, Sandpeople, Wookies, Vulcans, and some Stormtroopers.

atszyman
Jan 13, 2009, 07:38 PM
Too bad Jedi don't exist. It would be interesting to see how they would do in the middle east conflict. Also Klingons in the Middle East would be interesting along with the Borg, Sandpeople, Wookies, Vulcans, and some Stormtroopers.

Bah, you forgot everyones favorites... Ewoks and Gungans...:D

crain300
Jan 13, 2009, 08:03 PM
just wait until they die
big mistake

millerj123
Jan 13, 2009, 08:47 PM
just wait until they die
big mistake

Why? I suppose they have as much chance of becoming ghosts as anyone else.

Keebler
Jan 13, 2009, 09:28 PM
Why? I suppose they have as much chance of becoming ghosts as anyone else.

true except they'll be shimmering blue instead of white :D

Abstract
Jan 13, 2009, 10:06 PM
"I see darth people...."

Vivaldi
Jan 13, 2009, 10:34 PM
Had I been Welsh, I would most certainly join this church that would make me a Pastafarian, Pink Unicornian, and SubGenius member.

sushi
Jan 13, 2009, 10:36 PM
Funny story. Thanks for sharing.

So who's going to be Yoda? :p

iParis
Jan 13, 2009, 10:38 PM
I think I'm too old to start lightsaber training. :(

sushi
Jan 13, 2009, 11:01 PM
I think I'm too old to start lightsaber training. :(
But the Force runs through you, so it might be okay. :p

iParis
Jan 13, 2009, 11:08 PM
But the Force runs through you, so it might be okay. :p

You never know, if my midichlorian count is high enough.
Who knows, I may be the chosen one of the 21st century.

sushi
Jan 13, 2009, 11:35 PM
You never know, if my midichlorian count is high enough.
Off the scale I hear. :)

Who knows, I may be the chosen one of the 21st century.
So your son, will be the chosen one to bring balance to the galaxy. ;)

ziwi
Jan 14, 2009, 11:08 AM
So who's going to be Yoda? :p

No one - that is part of the allure - they would be worshiping Yoda as a diety not pretending to actually be him. ;)

kumbaya
Feb 3, 2009, 06:21 AM
<Welsh men's choir deep harmonic singing in the background>

"Iechyd da, Lord Vader!"

"Iechyd da, my Master!"

<clink>

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah... The Force is strong with this Otley O8 Ale (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champion_Beer_of_Wales)"

More drinking

"Hmm, I sense a disturbance in my bowels"

The Emperor zaps the door to the toilet; finishing his business he tries to flush unsuccessfully three times.

"Bah, this Jedi plumbing is pathetic! Send a disciple over to the Jedi Council on Coruscant and get me a new seat for my 'throne room'."

"Yes, my Master."

"Mwahahahahahahaha, MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!"

Darth Vader continues drinking the Welsh ale with a straw through his helmet grille...

<fade to black>

Don't panic
Feb 3, 2009, 08:05 AM
the basic disadvantage these start-ups have versus the other established market-dominating companies is that even if the principles are just as sound, current communication and record-keeping technologies prevent the necessary rapid mystification process.
not to mention that miracles need to be a whole lot more sophisticated than the old-time tricks.

ucfgrad93
Feb 3, 2009, 10:35 AM
Funny story, hopefully Lucas won't send a cease and desist order.

Jaffa Cake
Feb 3, 2009, 01:13 PM
Thinking about it, setting up a Jedi church would actually be quite a cheap enterprise for one thing, you wouldn't need extra land for a graveyard like a normal church. After all, whenever one of your congregation pops their clogs they'd just disappear into thin air meaning you don't have to find space to bury them.

Abstract
Feb 3, 2009, 02:10 PM
"Last guy to be attracted to his sister in a gold bikini is a rotten egg!!"