PDA

View Full Version : iStat for iPhone Coming Soon

MacRumors
Jan 15, 2009, 02:52 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/01/15/istat-for-iphone-coming-soon/)

TUAW profiles (http://www.tuaw.com/2009/01/15/first-look-istat-for-the-iphone/) the upcoming iStat (http://bjango.com/apps/istat-iphone/) iPhone application from Bjango (http://www.bjango.com), part of the team that released the original iStat applications (http://www.islayer.com/apps/) for OS X under the iSlayer name. iStat not only displays basic system and network information for your iPhone or iPod touch, but it can also communicate with desktops and laptops running the free iStat Server application to allow users to monitor system stats remotely.

The information that iStat for iPhone displays will be familiar to anyone who has used either iStat Pro or iStat menus. CPU usage, RAM stats, how much free space exists on your hard drive (or drives), network traffic and heat and fan speeds are all available. Especially useful for server administrators is the Uptime and Load reports.

You won't get details on stuff like battery usage or cycle number, nor can you view the individual processes, but you do get a nice overview of the status of your system.

iStat also offers Ping and Traceroute tools for assistance in diagnosing connection problems while on the go.

iStat Server is free, but requires the iPhone version of iStat to be of use. iStat should be appearing in the App Store soon at a promotional price of $1.99, discounted from the regular price of $2.99.

Article Link: iStat for iPhone Coming Soon (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/01/15/istat-for-iphone-coming-soon/)

alexbates
Jan 15, 2009, 02:58 PM
I lve the iStat widget. It's great when you don't want to wait for activity monitor to open. (which for some reason takes a long time for me)

I can't wait to see it on the iPhone!

Drumjim85
Jan 15, 2009, 03:03 PM
$2? ... part of my love for iStat is it's Free-ness.

Sky Blue
Jan 15, 2009, 03:04 PM

$2 is pretty cheap.

plumbingandtech
Jan 15, 2009, 03:06 PM

Part of my love of money is that is allows me to keep a roof over my head.

Full of Win
Jan 15, 2009, 03:13 PM
Wonder if they will report CPU and RAM usage on the iPhone? Don't know the limitation on background processes and such, but I'd like to know the resources used by Safari, iPod, ect...

Pring
Jan 15, 2009, 03:19 PM
I know how the "Free Memory" feature works but I can't see how they're possibly getting the other stats without using private APIs...

amac4me
Jan 15, 2009, 03:25 PM
This looks sweet!

Telp
Jan 15, 2009, 03:32 PM
I don't understand why there isnt background processess or battery information. There are apps now that show background processess and even show battery percent left.

NiteWaves77
Jan 15, 2009, 03:34 PM
Computers named after Futurama characters. Typical. :rolleyes:

speakerwizard
Jan 15, 2009, 04:06 PM
"i wonder if they will report CPU and RAM usage on the iPhone? "

what would be the point when 1 app runs at a time lol

Pring
Jan 15, 2009, 04:29 PM
"i wonder if they will report CPU and RAM usage on the iPhone? "

what would be the point when 1 app runs at a time lol

Apple's apps run in the background. It's only non-Apple apps that can't.

Me1000
Jan 15, 2009, 05:12 PM
I know how the "Free Memory" feature works but I can't see how they're possibly getting the other stats without using private APIs...

Wonder if they will report CPU and RAM usage on the iPhone? Don't know the limitation on background processes and such, but I'd like to know the resources used by Safari, iPod, ect...

RTA: no! :o

SFStateStudent
Jan 15, 2009, 05:27 PM
Battery usage and cycles used are pretty important stats that are not available? Why not? I wonder if their approval was dependent upon those stats being left out? It's a no-go for me...:eek:

BigTRQ
Jan 15, 2009, 05:37 PM
Battery usage and cycles used are pretty important stats that are not available? Why not? I wonder if their approval was dependent upon those stats being left out? It's a no-go for me...:eek:I think they are referring to looking at Mac systems, not the iPhone/iPod touch.

Highland
Jan 15, 2009, 06:03 PM
No private APIs are used in iStat.

I don't understand why there isnt background processess or battery information. There are apps now that show background processess and even show battery percent left.
This is version 1.0. Just like our other apps and widgets, iStat will be very aggressively developed.

I assume you're talking about background processes and battery info for the iPhone/iPod itself? Again, this is version 1.0. Stay tuned.

Keep in mind that the SDK places some limitations on what can be obtained. And as stated above, we don't use private APIs and don't intend to ever use them in iStat.

Fair call.

All our Mac apps and widgets remain free. We're also in the process of removing the ads from our site and changing a few aspects of our business model. More info here (http://islayer.com/news/?p=285). Basically, the free widgets were supported by ads and donations. We're removing the ads because we want to keep the site clean and we're now releasing some very reasonably priced, high quality iPhone apps. I don't think $2 is bad for the amount of work that's gone into this app, but the choice is entirely up to you if you think it's worthwhile.

Also, I hope you like iStat Pro, iStat Menus, Organized and our other Mac apps and widgets because they're good, not because they're free!

Telp
Jan 15, 2009, 06:29 PM
I assume you're talking about background processes and battery info for the iPhone/iPod itself? Again, this is version 1.0. Stay tuned.

Keep in mind that the SDK places some limitations on what can be obtained. And as stated above, we don't use private APIs and don't intend to ever use them in iStat.

I understand. I just downloaded an app the other day purely based on the fact that it gave the percentage of battery remaining. It also shows background processess (yes of the iPhone itself). I have been very happy with all your products and do plan on downloading this one when it becomes available.

twoodcc
Jan 15, 2009, 06:51 PM
i'm looking forward to this app. i wish it was free, but i might have to buy this one

BigTRQ
Jan 15, 2009, 08:05 PM
So what does "Coming Soon" mean? This is one app I've certainly been waiting for.

Maxington
Jan 15, 2009, 08:08 PM
Sweet App. I love the regular version for the mac.

Jack Flash
Jan 15, 2009, 08:11 PM
Can't wait! I've been meaning to donate to this developer for use if iStat and will definitely pick this one up. Hope the "free memory" function actually works!

alexbates
Jan 15, 2009, 10:37 PM
i'm looking forward to this app. i wish it was free, but i might have to buy this one

Yeah, I wish it was free. But knowing that it can also tell your computer processes, It will probably start off in the App Store atleast costing $2.99. I would guess it will cost $4.99 when its first released, just so the devs can make some good money off buyers that have to have it the day it comes out.

Telp
Jan 15, 2009, 10:41 PM
Yeah, I wish it was free. But knowing that it can also tell your computer processes, It will probably start off in the App Store atleast costing $2.99. I would guess it will cost $4.99 when its first released, just so the devs can make some good money off buyers that have to have it the day it comes out.

It'll be $1.99 US when it comes out and $2.99 after that. If they didnt tell us the pricing I would easily have believed you, it makes perfect sense.

Highland
Jan 15, 2009, 10:49 PM
So what does "Coming Soon" mean? This is one app I've certainly been waiting for.
It's been submitted to iTunes, so we're just waiting for the team there to work their magic and release it to the store.

It'll be $1.99 US when it comes out and $2.99 after that. If they didnt tell us the pricing I would easily have believed you, it makes perfect sense.
This is correct (and matches what we've written on the iStat page on our website (http://bjango.com/apps/istat-iphone/) :)

Watabou
Jan 16, 2009, 12:25 AM
As I have said before this app seems awesome. I just want to see an app that can monitor battery cycles on the iphone, if that is possible, without violating the SDK.

alphaod
Jan 16, 2009, 12:29 AM
Also, I hope you like iStat Pro, iStat Menus, Organized and our other Mac apps and widgets because they're good, not because they're free!

Some people are just cheap ;)

I can't speak for anyone else, but if you charged for iStat on the Mac, I'd pay for it.

Highland
Jan 16, 2009, 12:37 AM
As I have said before this app seems awesome. I just want to see an app that can monitor battery cycles on the iphone, if that is possible, without violating the SDK.
We'll see what we can do :)

Watabou
Jan 16, 2009, 12:42 AM
We'll see what we can do :)

Thanks! :D

aswitcher
Jan 16, 2009, 01:51 AM
Looks like another purchase :)

ltldrummerboy
Jan 16, 2009, 02:24 AM
I love devs that engage in the community and "aggressively" evolve their apps. I'll definitely be buying.

Pring
Jan 16, 2009, 03:57 AM
No private APIs are used in iStat.

By that do you mean no private frameworks included or that there are no calls to undocumented methods in public frameworks?

I'm interested from a technical perspective, not having a go :)

fishmoose
Jan 16, 2009, 03:59 AM
Add battery percentage and this will one of the best apps on the app store imho!
Will defiantly buy it!

Highland
Jan 16, 2009, 05:10 AM
Add battery percentage and this will one of the best apps on the app store imho!
We're investigating all kinds of things. I'll add your post to the tally for battery monitoring though.

By that do you mean no private frameworks included or that there are no calls to undocumented methods in public frameworks?
There's no undocumented methods in public frameworks used or private frameworks included. We're playing it by the book.

I love devs that engage in the community and "aggressively" evolve their apps. I'll definitely be buying.
Thanks. I'm not sure why everyone doesn't do it... we've had some amazing feedback from a lot of people about our apps. Not all of it is positive, but if it helps you build a better product, then a little criticism is the best thing in the world.

filmgirl
Jan 16, 2009, 09:31 AM
Bias alert: I wrote the article for TUAW

The app is seriously cool. The iPhone memory monitoring and the ability to get your UDID and MAC address and whatnot is very, very slick -- but the remote Mac monitoring and the traceroute and ping features really make it a solid, solid app.

I have a remote Leopard server that I don't have physical access to -- other than using the Server Tools Widget, I can't keep track of stats like load and uptime and process usage. With this I can.

My fiancee saw me playing with it Wednesday and he (again) cursed his decision to get the G1 instead of an iPhone. Android is loaded with potential, but stuff like this, which you would think would be the sort of tool on Android-devs radars, are nowhere to be found. He's getting an iPod touch as an engagement gift, just to stop the whining :p

The Bjango guys did a terrific job and I fully expect the app to just get better. As it stands, I'll repeat what I said on Twitter yesterday: this is the coolest iPhone app I've seen in a LONG time.

BigTRQ
Jan 16, 2009, 10:06 AM
Let's go App Store approvers! Approve this now! :)

And with Bjango (iSlayer), you know that we'll get quality updates, with things that only they can probably dream up.

segfaultdotorg
Jan 16, 2009, 10:17 AM
Agree with the above--I wish I knew the number of battery cycles my iPhone had gone through, in addition to other statistical information on the battery.

fishmoose
Jan 16, 2009, 12:18 PM
Agree with the above--I wish I knew the number of battery cycles my iPhone had gone through, in addition to other statistical information on the battery.

Yes it would be very helpfull information to have! Would really help you know when your iPhone's battery will die and it's time for a replacment.

DrBurkstrom
Jan 16, 2009, 01:40 PM
iStat is one of the very few genuinely useful dashboard widgets, very much looking forward to the iStat app and I'll definitely get it as I too have a couple of macs I don't have easy physical access to but I'd like to keep tabs on.

On that note... Is there anyone here more knowledgeable or better at google than me can tell me if there's anything similar to this that can keep an eye on a linux server?
Something that could display stats like these for a Debian or Ubuntu based web server would have a limited but fairly strong appeal. I'd certainly part with $5 or so if anyone feels like writing one!

Highland
Jan 16, 2009, 06:59 PM
On that note... Is there anyone here more knowledgeable or better at google than me can tell me if there's anything similar to this that can keep an eye on a linux server?
...maybe a future version of iStat?

I haven't seen any other iPhone app that will remotely monitor Mac or Linux in the way iStat does. There's a few remote desktop clients, but that's not really the same thing and not as well suited to a specific task like this. There's a few web-based remote monitors though.

WPeterson
Jan 17, 2009, 01:53 AM
cool app i must have when available. $1.99 is reasonable for me.

:cool:

tfskora
Jan 17, 2009, 09:13 AM
Come on apple, Approve this right now. Battery Cycles would be sweet.

Darkroom
Jan 18, 2009, 06:34 PM

developers are not personal servants. $1.99 is a steal for a useful application like that. seeing that you probably don't have a problem paying the same price for a pack of gum, you (and LOTS of other people who feel the same way) need to understand that it doesn't make sense for you to complain about the low asking price from developers...

it really blows my mind that so many iPhone owners demand free apps from hard working developers...
:(

MikePA
Jan 18, 2009, 07:00 PM
it really blows my mind that so many iPhone owners demand free apps from hard working developers...
Sometimes people mistake the App Store for government who gives them 'free' stuff. The concept that someone who works for a living actually creates the free stuff is foreign to them. :D

vestigo74
Jan 19, 2009, 10:39 AM
developers are not personal servants. $1.99 is a steal for a useful application like that. seeing that you probably don't have a problem paying the same price for a pack of gum, you (and LOTS of other people who feel the same way) need to understand that it doesn't make sense for you to complain about the low asking price from developers...

No kidding. What kind of person complains about having to pay $2 for something that a team of people spent months creating?

People will drop twelve bucks for a bag of popcorn in a movie theater... but two bucks for software? No chance. :rolleyes:

Edit: For awareness' sake... The only way we'll start to see legitimate applications that actually have a valid, every-day use, is if we start allowing developers to charge realistic prices for their work. Nobody's going to make full-fledged, professional software for the iPhone if people are going to bitch about having to pay $2 for it. Unless, of course, people actually want a phone that does nothing but make fart noises and lightsabre sounds.

Lara F
Jan 19, 2009, 11:22 AM
Seriously. It's getting really annoying to go through 200+ apps on appsniper and not find anything decent among the junk. :mad: A pricier app that's not a game will actually get my attention now.

irun5k
Jan 19, 2009, 03:04 PM
No kidding. What kind of person complains about having to pay $2 for something that a team of people spent months creating?

People will drop twelve bucks for a bag of popcorn in a movie theater... but two bucks for software? No chance. :rolleyes:

Well, I've also seen people carrying a presumably $4+ cup of Starbucks stiff a worker who helps them with their luggage. It goes beyond cheap- if they were cheap, they'd also avoid the $4 cup of coffee.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I rely on so few 3rd party apps for my iPhone that I'd gladly pay $10 for each of them if it meant they'd have more capabilities that are valuable to me. I've installed dozens of apps just to uninstall them soon after. Most of them just aren't things I'll depend on, the way I do Mobile Safari, Mail, etc.

iTeen
Jan 19, 2009, 03:14 PM
Sortof like this app:

Roadking
Jan 19, 2009, 08:18 PM
I would also pay $2 for this. Showing the battery % life would be an important addition to this app.

iphoneCraze1080
Jan 21, 2009, 03:08 PM
Hoping Apple would approve it soon..Was abt to buy Free Memory...but iStat seems much more complete...Thanks to the developers. Regarding people expecting it free...C'mon guys there should be some appreciation for the developers who actually get these things done for us, while all we do is complain about those missing features and pricing.

http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/01/15/istat-for-iphone-coming-soon/)

TUAW profiles (http://www.tuaw.com/2009/01/15/first-look-istat-for-the-iphone/) the upcoming iStat (http://bjango.com/apps/istat-iphone/) iPhone application from Bjango (http://www.bjango.com), part of the team that released the original iStat applications (http://www.islayer.com/apps/) for OS X under the iSlayer name. iStat not only displays basic system and network information for your iPhone or iPod touch, but it can also communicate with desktops and laptops running the free iStat Server application to allow users to monitor system stats remotely.

iStat also offers Ping and Traceroute tools for assistance in diagnosing connection problems while on the go.

iStat Server is free, but requires the iPhone version of iStat to be of use. iStat should be appearing in the App Store soon at a promotional price of $1.99, discounted from the regular price of $2.99.

Article Link: iStat for iPhone Coming Soon (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/01/15/istat-for-iphone-coming-soon/)

sfschier
Jan 23, 2009, 10:58 AM
Whoa...where did this one disappear too? I keep checking the App Store daily and no iStat for iPhone. Has anyone heard anything?

iphoneCraze1080
Jan 23, 2009, 11:17 AM
Whoa...where did this one disappear too? I keep checking the App Store daily and no iStat for iPhone. Has anyone heard anything?

Been waiting for a while...but there is nothing Bjango can do...cause they submitted to apple on 14th Jan..The wonderful Apps fate is in Apple's hands.

Telp
Jan 23, 2009, 11:33 AM

I hear you. I think I check the app store like every hour looking for this. It'll be here soon. Just not soon enough evidently.

BigTRQ
Jan 23, 2009, 12:05 PM
I hear you. I think I check the app store like every hour looking for this. It'll be here soon. Just not soon enough evidently.So it's not just me checking constantly for iStat for iPhone. I am following Bjango on Twitter, so I figure they'll put it out as fast as they can that the app is out.

velorapide
Jan 23, 2009, 10:11 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

It's available.

onfire4g05
Jan 23, 2009, 10:21 PM
here it is!!

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=303034517&mt=8

i can't buy it though, is that just a problem on my end?

edit: nevermind -- iTunes on my Mac wouldn't let me buy it, but App Store on my iPod did ... :)

Zadillo
Jan 24, 2009, 12:46 PM
Just bought it, very slick app. Frankly, the "free memory" ability alone would make it worth it to me; I don't really have much need for remote access to my Mac's stats, but I can see how that would be great as well if I needed it.

As others have mentioned, being able to view detailed battery information would be a nice bonus.

-Zadillo

Highland
Jan 24, 2009, 03:10 PM
Thanks everyone. It's so good to see this kind of support after the work that's gone info iStat.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

It's available.
Sure is! We're very happy to see it finally on the store.

As others have mentioned, being able to view detailed battery information would be a nice bonus.
Now we have version 1.0 released, we can start to look at things like that. :)

aswitcher
Jan 24, 2009, 03:24 PM
SNIP

Now we have version 1.0 released, we can start to look at things like that. :)

Knowing my Macs external IP address could be useful.

Edit
Just got it to work over 3G with port forwarding through the router and airport, very nice.

bbplayer5
Jan 24, 2009, 03:48 PM
5 stars!!!! Amazing app, just bought it.

werkedm3
Jan 24, 2009, 11:56 PM
Great app, but it won't show my time capsule disk on the HD section. Is it a problem with me? I know the iStat dashboard program works fine with it.

BigTRQ
Jan 25, 2009, 12:07 AM
Anyone want to help me figure out setting up static IPs and port mapping, so I can do the remote monitoring? The help page at Bjango gives a link to Portforward.com, but the info there is older than my set-up. I'm running Leopard, and an AEBS-n.

Thanks!

Habakuk
Jan 25, 2009, 01:54 AM
"Free Memory" triggered a soft reset on my mobile device (booting with Apple logo). iStat Server is working fine.

tosui
Jan 25, 2009, 11:13 PM
Considering that I've been using the free istat widget & istat menus, giving a measly $2 for having this info in my hand at all times was such a no-brainer that I shouldn't even be spelling this correctly!

My only suggestions - and they're cosmetic, really - are to 1) be able to change the name of the device from "my ipod" to either the device name or something I choose, 2) to rearrange the order of the sections (as some are more important to me than others), and 3) have an icon of the device for Touch/iPhones instead of a generic disc icon.

So, in conclusion, this app rocks! (And freeing memory took about 3 seconds for me.)

Habakuk
Jan 26, 2009, 01:43 PM
So, in conclusion, this app rocks! (And freeing memory took about 3 seconds for me.)

What I wrote before (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=6993370&postcount=62) was a first try directly after installing iStat - System Monitoring. Thanks for the heads-up, I dared a second try. In the meantime there were some bootings of the iPhone 16GB.

The first screenshot I made directly after launching and quitting the memory consuming game "SimCity". The second screenshot shows the results after iStat's "Free Memory".

tosui
Jan 26, 2009, 05:28 PM
I dared a second try.

Glad that it's working (mostly?). My numbers were even better - 17MB free before, and 44 MB free after! (I had been running many apps since my last reboot: Slotz, Edge, Zenbe, Spawn Illuminati, etc.)

Highland
Aug 27, 2009, 12:48 AM
iStat for iPhone 1.1 released!

Here's what's new:
- Removed Free Memory function (here’s why (http://bjango.com/help/istat/freememory/)).
- Added battery stats for iPhone/iPod touch.
- Added processes list for iPhone/iPod touch.
- Added the ability to sort the server list by name or auto.
- Added the ability to disable Screen lock.
- The email ID/Mac/both buttons now copy to the clipboard instead.
- Updated icon.
- Bug fixes.

Battery stats are the biggest new feature. We're now as good as any of the battery apps on the store.

iStat, an iPhone app by Bjango (http://bjango.com/apps/istat/)

http://bjango.com/images/apps/istat/iphone.png

hexonxonx
Aug 27, 2009, 12:56 AM
I got the nice update but there is no longer a free memory button?

Highland
Aug 27, 2009, 01:06 AM
I got the nice update but there is no longer a free memory button?
Sorry.

It's not our fault though—we were told we must submit an update with Free Memory removed or iStat would be taken off the App Store.

More info about it here (http://bjango.com/help/istat/freememory/)

hexonxonx
Aug 27, 2009, 01:11 AM
Sorry.

It's not our fault though—we were told we must submit an update with Free Memory removed or iStat would be taken off the App Store.

More info about it here (http://bjango.com/help/istat/freememory/)

My God, Apple makes no sense. Why did they allow the apps with the free memory function in them to start with then require them to be removed?

You have produced another excellent update and I hope you continue to do so in the future and I hope Apple keeps their nose out of things in the future, it's our phones, we paid for them.

ltldrummerboy
Aug 27, 2009, 01:27 AM
If I ask Apple for a refund, will they take back $1.40 that you earned from my purchase or will they just credit me $1.99 out of their pocket?

Because honestly, freeing memory was the primary reason I bought this app. I am disgusted with the ridiculous rules they are instituting for the app store.

Highland
Aug 27, 2009, 01:41 AM
If I ask Apple for a refund, will they take back $1.40 that you earned from my purchase or will they just credit me $1.99 out of their pocket?

Because honestly, freeing memory was the primary reason I bought this app. I am disgusted with the ridiculous rules they are instituting for the app store.

If you get a refund (I'm not 100% sure on the rules), then I believe Apple will take the full refund from the developer + their 30% commission.

So doing that will only hurt us.

ltldrummerboy
Aug 27, 2009, 01:55 AM
I think I'll ask for a refund and then just donate on your website. At least that way Apple isn't getting my $0.60 to cripple your app.

Look for a few bucks to come your way via PayPal.

Update: Apple will not issue a refund.

Highland
Aug 27, 2009, 02:24 AM
Thanks.

In other news: iStat Menus 2.0 is closer to being ready for release. :)