PDA

View Full Version : Folding Cracks the top 100

buffsldr
Jun 12, 2002, 04:18 PM
Nice job, gents. We are now in the top 100. MC and Rower pushed us there! now, let's get everyone involved and take top 10 in 6 months

Rower_CPU
Jun 12, 2002, 04:37 PM
You were the one who started things off, buffsldr, so props to you as well.

Our next big target is MacCentral.com...we should pass them later this month!:D

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 12, 2002, 04:50 PM
well i tried seti first because well its the home town boys but it doesnt seem to be very stable. so maybe i will try folding...

spuncan
Jun 12, 2002, 04:51 PM
I'm switching to X (hopefully permanently) so I'll be able to help u guys. Now all I need to find is another 10gigs of storage to back stuff up on. :-/

mc68k
Jun 12, 2002, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by buffsldr
Nice job, gents. We are now in the top 100. MC and Rower pushed us there! now, let's get everyone involved and take top 10 in 6 months
So humble! You carried the team for a long time and are still a MAJOR contributor. Thanks for all your help. :)

Please join us, every WU helps! Thanks for the pledges, AL and spuncan, do appreciate it! We could use your help to pass MacCentral.

kishba
Jun 12, 2002, 05:09 PM
ok i just joined up! i'll have my g4 867 processing as much as possible... i'd have my g3 powerbook do some... but it probably wouldn't help much ;)

here's to beating those silly maccentral dudes

mc68k
Jun 12, 2002, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by kishba
ok i just joined up! i'll have my g4 867 processing as much as possible... i'd have my g3 powerbook do some... but it probably wouldn't help much ;)
Ooh, 867...thanks kishba.

Their (Stanford) spec for their WU benchmark is a PIII 400. If your PB could run folding, then it will help us, too. FYI, make sure to hide (not minimize) your graphic window if your running the graphical client.

kishba
Jun 12, 2002, 05:18 PM
i had a few problems with the graphical one so i switched to the terminal one... hopefully it works out better...

i'll try to get my laptop up later tonight :)

heck i'm sure i could find a pc at work for this too... we'll catch up in no time :)

mc68k
Jun 12, 2002, 05:26 PM
Seems the folding drug has hit you too... :D

I look at every machine now as a potential folding victim. Many have fallen into my clutches. :) Unfortuneately, mostly PC's due to Stanford's lack of insight (OS 9 version :mad: ).

merman637
Jun 12, 2002, 05:30 PM
im not sure that i 100% understand the purpose behind this, however i joined the team also...i assume processing power helps?!...what about a DP800???...anything to help the macrumors team....

kishba
Jun 12, 2002, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by merman637
im not sure that i 100% understand the purpose behind this, however i joined the team also...i assume processing power helps?!...what about a DP800???...anything to help the macrumors team....

ooohhh yeah!

we'll definitely be in the top 10 if we can get some more dual systems in here :)

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 12, 2002, 05:40 PM
can someone email me the terminal version, i cant uncompress what i download (this is not a good first impression). grrr

mc68k
Jun 12, 2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
can someone email me the terminal version, i cant uncompress what i download (this is not a good first impression). grrr
It's not a bin compressed, but a binary executable. You have to make it executable by doing a chmod +x on it.

Here's (http://folding.stanford.edu/OSX/OSX.html#console) a link to the install instructions.

Thanks for your interest in our effort. :)

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 12, 2002, 05:56 PM
ok i feel positively stupid. got it to work. argh.

so how do i know its working though?

ca

kishba
Jun 12, 2002, 06:02 PM
ok i feel positively stupid. still cant get it to work in the terminal though. their directions suck.

type this in the terminal:

chmod +x FAH2Console-v219-OSX.bin

then type:

./FAH2Console-v219-OSX.bin

that's exactly what i did and it then asked a few questions (username, the number of the group--macrumors is 3446) and then it took off (i assume... although i still haven't appeared as member of the team according to their site)

hope that helps!

kishba
Jun 12, 2002, 06:04 PM
ok i feel positively stupid. got it to work. argh.

so how do i know its working though?

ca

hehehe... i'm not sure if mine is working yet either... i assume that once i finish a unit it will tell me or i will show up as a member of the macrumors team... hopefully :)

Taft
Jun 12, 2002, 06:04 PM
OK here are the instructions in Taft-speak. Maybe they'll help.

1. Download the terminal version from their website.
2. Move the file to your Applications folder via the Finder.
3. Open your terminal program.
4. At the command line, type 'cd /Applications'. (If you put the file somewhere else, use that path instead.)
5. Type the command, 'chmod 755 FAH2Console-v219-OSX.bin'.
6. To run the program, type './FAH2Console-v219-OSX.bin'

For added convenience, I've done the follwing to make starting Folding easier...

1. Type 'sudo ln -s /Applications/FAH2Console-v219-OSX.bin /usr/bin/folding'
2. Now when you run folding, simply type 'folding' no matter where you are! (You will have to run the 'rehash' command in any open terminal windows to make the change take effect.)

Taft

mc68k
Jun 12, 2002, 06:05 PM
Try this:

o Open Terminal
o type in chmod +x
o Physically drag the FAH2...bin onto the terminal window (this should type in the pathname for you)
o make a new folder and drop it in there (the console version creates a lot of extraneous files)
o then drag the now executable FAH2...bin file onto the terminal window

You can also use this (http://macaddict4life.dhs.org/folding_control.php) beta app from MacAddict4Life that someone wrote to do terminal work for you.

Seems that Taft had replied, thanks. Maybe my instructions will fill in any gaps, though Taft is quite the Unix nerd. :)

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 12, 2002, 06:08 PM

hehehe... i'm not sure if mine is working yet either... i assume that once i finish a unit it will tell me or i will show up as a member of the macrumors team... hopefully :)

yes it just stops after saying parameters...

when seti was running i could tell because i could feel the machine working. but folding isnt giving me any feedback.

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 12, 2002, 06:11 PM
well assuming this is working i must say that i feel like quite a traitor. of course despite going to berkeley ive always had a softspot in my heart for stanfurd. had a frog named stanfurd when i was little (of course another frog named berkeley ate him...)

mc68k
Jun 12, 2002, 06:12 PM

when seti was running i could tell because i could feel the machine working. but folding isnt giving me any feedback.

AL, it is working right?

The graphical and console versions run the same IF you have the graphical client window HIDDEN, not MINIMIZED. This will tell you percentage, if you prefer. The cconsole client has a -vebosity switch, but I cranked it to the max, 9, and it did nothing. The console version is very weak on letting you know anything.

You can also try that beta app that runs on top of the console version a few posts above.

kishba
Jun 12, 2002, 06:14 PM

[23:10:05] parameters work/wudata_01.prm
[23:10:05] - Writing "work/wudata_01.key": (overwrite)successful.

that's what mine outputs before saying... nothin

my cpu monitor shows the whole cpu being used though... i just quit the terminal and ran the app again and it started all over (or so i assume because it still says its completed 0 frames and has 500 remaining...)

can someone who's been using the terminal version spread some light on this? i'd like to know my machine is actually doing something useful....

mc68k
Jun 12, 2002, 06:16 PM
Type in top into the terminal and look for the Core_65.exe process. Than look for the percentage of CPU that the process is using.

Type in q to quit out of top.

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 12, 2002, 06:17 PM
well i downloaded and launched the graphical client (this is worse than the terminal, who are the idiots at stanfurd programming these things?) and went to display protein since this seems to be the only option. it shows a protein "no news is good news" and 0.0% progress.

so is the terminal app not doing anything?

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 12, 2002, 06:21 PM
ok just checked top and core65.ex is using 88% of my cpu. thats with mozilla, itunes, photoshop, dreamweaver, mail, and adium running. kinda weird i cant feel it running, but thats fine by me. just wish it would make some progress.

mc68k
Jun 12, 2002, 06:22 PM
well i downloaded and launched the graphical client (this is worse than the terminal, who are the idiots at stanfurd programming these things?) and went to display protein since this seems to be the only option. it shows a protein "no news is good news" and 0.0% progress.

so is the terminal app not doing anything?
Each percent takes a while to complete, depending upon which protein they give you to fold. But it will take a while before you will see any percentage appear.

Did your .bin app launch? If so, it's running, and that's about as much info as you'll get out of it. The Winblows DOS version gives more info, unfortunately.

Also, the console and graphical versions run off different files. The files for the graphical client are encapulated in the .app, whereas the ones for the console client are not. So even if you did have work done with the console, it would not show up in the graphical, or vice-versa.

mc68k
Jun 12, 2002, 06:26 PM
ok just checked top and core65.ex is using 88% of my cpu. thats with mozilla, itunes, photoshop, dreamweaver, mail, and adium running. kinda weird i cant feel it running, but thats fine by me. just wish it would make some progress.

That's because it uses your idle CPU time.

kishba
Jun 12, 2002, 06:27 PM
how do you quit the terminal app and save the data you've been working on ?

mc68k
Jun 12, 2002, 06:29 PM

Use this beta (http://macaddict4life.dhs.org/folding_control.php) to enable both the processors on your DP rig. It's a button that doesn't seem to have an switch equivalent.

mc68k
Jun 12, 2002, 06:31 PM
how do you quit the terminal app and save the data you've been working on ?
You can send an interrupt to the OS by typing ctrl-C. You can only save frames that you have completed, so you'll kick back to the one that you last started if you quit.

mc68k
Jun 12, 2002, 06:49 PM
Seems that the verbosity switch does have a small effect.

Try this: launch the .bin with the switch -verbosity 9

That should pop up some more text in your console:
Protein: proteinAg29a (or whatever you're folding)
-Frames Completed: X, Remaining: 100
-Dynamic Steps Required:XX0000
That way, every time you relaunch the binary, you get which frame you're on. Just don't do it often, as it doesn't save anything between frames. I don't think this tells you what frame you're on, like the DOS version does by default, but we all know where their development efforts are. :)

Hope this helps.

j763
Jun 13, 2002, 01:00 AM
save yourselves the hastle with the Terminal and get Folding Control (http://macaddict4life.dhs.org/folding_control.php). You don't need to run UNIX commands on it or put up with it using your resources to map all the proteins on your screen.

Falleron
Jun 13, 2002, 03:15 AM
Sorry guys, I have gone back to SETI for a while! I will continue the hunt for maccentral when the new client comes out that is Altivec optimised! My Dual 1Ghz will be screeming along on that.

Dr. Distortion
Jun 13, 2002, 06:22 AM
People, I've told you this before:

please get Folding Control from http://macaddict4life.dhs.org
it will automatically download the cli version of f@h, install it, and add it to the crontab so it auto-starts after a reboot. It will also install 2 f@h cores for dual processor machines.
The simple gui will show you the progress of each f@h core, and it will let you set up user and team details.

Happy Folding :)

oh, you might want to take a look at my folding stats, user name = drdistortion

Rower_CPU
Jun 13, 2002, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Distortion
People, I've told you this before:

please get Folding Control from http://macaddict4life.dhs.org
it will automatically download the cli version of f@h, install it, and add it to the crontab so it auto-starts after a reboot. It will also install 2 f@h cores for dual processor machines.
The simple gui will show you the progress of each f@h core, and it will let you set up user and team details.

Happy Folding :)

oh, you might want to take a look at my folding stats, user name = drdistortion

So why don't you leave the MacAddict4Life team and come help us out?:p

lordsinforge
Jun 14, 2002, 04:20 PM
Alright, I got a PeeCee sitting on my dest at work, and seeing how I don't use it much (I just use my iBook) I figgure I'll turn it into a dedicated macrumors machine, It's only a PII but every bit right.
I also have a p4 comming soon so I may run folding on that and use the p2 for seti, try and help out both the teams.

Hey, I gotta find a use for the damn things anyway right? :p

LordSin

kishba
Jun 14, 2002, 04:32 PM
hey mc68k... how many machines do you have running folding... you have contributed so much that i'm curious..

Rower_CPU
Jun 14, 2002, 04:52 PM
Everyone who is using the Folding Control, make sure you have entered your user and team designation or else your units are going to the MacAddict4Life team.

kishba-
If you look on mc68k's stats page you can see that he is running around 30 CPUs...I should know, he's running it in our lab.:D

Ensign Paris
Jun 14, 2002, 05:04 PM
Anyone ever thought of going onto the Apple seti@home group? they seem to be doing pretty well.

Ensign

TypeR389
Jun 15, 2002, 01:06 AM
Ok, have one CPU doing Seti, one CPU doing folding...

merman637
Jun 18, 2002, 03:10 PM
ive done several work units now and still im not listed as a member of group 3446 ...what gives!??...am i doing something wrong?...under my prefs pane im setting my group # to 3446 and still no member???any help me out?

Rower_CPU
Jun 18, 2002, 03:18 PM
ive done several work units now and still im not listed as a member of group 3446 ...what gives!??...am i doing something wrong?...under my prefs pane im setting my group # to 3446 and still no member???any help me out?

Looks like you're there to me:

kishba
Jun 18, 2002, 03:23 PM
too bad i haven't shown up.. i've had one unit done for at least 2 days now....

mc68k
Jun 18, 2002, 05:42 PM
They had major server problems yesterday…but other than that, it sounds like your having a problem there.

What kind of app did you use to run folding? Are the username/team correct? Did it confirm completion and did they send you another protein? I'd give it one more day, then I'd say they didn't get it for whatever reason.

kishba
Jun 18, 2002, 05:53 PM
i'm using the folding control program and my username and group number are correct

i was sent another protein (i'm pretty certain... i can't remember the exact name of the one before.. i could be wrong)

i'll keep hoping... :) i have a few more units almost done (from other machines) hopefully they get sent in

jelloshotsrule
Jun 18, 2002, 05:57 PM
i just got like 3 done the last night and today... seems to have been big pointers too. they were the ones i wanted done a few days ago, but oh well..

keeeeeep it up!

mc68k
Jun 18, 2002, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
i just got like 3 done the last night and today... seems to have been big pointers too. they were the ones i wanted done a few days ago, but oh well..

keeeeeep it up!
I saw your score shoot up, good work. :) Your efforts are appreciated.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 18, 2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by mc68k

I saw your score shoot up, good work. :) Your efforts are appreciated.

thanks cap'n.. ha

yeah, i guess i've been getting the huge 5 pointers lately. it's good, but i recently had to relocate my system and so i had about 3 days down. and now i am planning a reformatting so that will take me down for a day probably. but til then, fold on!

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 18, 2002, 07:17 PM
well after 6 days and three times restarting my protein i finally finished my first WU! woohoo! one problem... i seem to have restarted the same protein. im tired of 601 proteinA. been there done that. fourth time now. im thinking about quitting. this is just stupid and way too much trouble. if stanfurd is too stupid to write a proper app then they can do without my cpus. can you tell imfrustrated?

jelloshotsrule
Jun 18, 2002, 07:20 PM
well after 6 days and three times restarting my protein i finally finished my first WU! woohoo! one problem... i seem to have restarted the same protein. im tired of 601 proteinA. been there done that. fourth time now. im thinking about quitting. this is just stupid and way too much trouble. if stanfurd is too stupid to write a proper app then they can do without my cpus. can you tell imfrustrated?

what problems have you had? i haven't had any problems in the course of my folding.

what up wit dat?

i've done a bunch of the same proteins but it's not that big a deal. still helps and counts. i don't really get much excitement out of which protein i'm working on, so whatever they give me is fine with me.

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 18, 2002, 07:54 PM
well i had to restart the protein several times since i moved from the terminal app to folding control and had my computer crash once while folding control was running as well.

i assumed since i was running the same protein that it was the same unit. i guess it doesnt work that way. seems kishba is also doing 601 proteinA. stupid protein. grrrr!

well ill crank out another unit of 601 proteinA and if i still dont get any credit im quitting.

kishba
Jun 18, 2002, 07:59 PM
well i had to restart the protein several times since i moved from the terminal app to folding control and had my computer crash once while folding control was running as well.

i assumed since i was running the same protein that it was the same unit. i guess it doesnt work that way. seems kishba is also doing 601 proteinA. stupid protein. grrrr!

well ill crank out another unit of 601 proteinA and if i still dont get any credit im quitting.

i completely agree with you... i'm about ready to give up too

Rower_CPU
Jun 18, 2002, 08:05 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you guys are having so much difficulty.:(

You will probably get the same protein several times, it happens. ProteinA's are the worst, but they give you some good points if you complete them fast enough.

I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of improvements we get with v.3...

mc68k
Jun 19, 2002, 05:17 PM

i completely agree with you... i'm about ready to give up too
Well, you showed up on the server with 2 units. I don't know if this was your first protein, but you're on the site now. As for AL, he hasn't showed up yet. I've had the most problems with Folding Console/Control on the Mac, so I usually go Graphical w/the graphics hidden, so I can see my progress.

I haven't had any problems with the graphical client for mac, so that's what I'd recommend if you do continue to help us. :)

merman637
Jun 20, 2002, 11:16 AM
:p :p :p
man this thing is a hoss!
#31--->#20 in one night...hehehe
dp800
lookout #9 here I Come!!!
ive got the dp folding control installed and also am running the gui downloaded version
...does that make sense?
anyway im working on 3 protiens at a time....hehe

jelloshotsrule
Jun 20, 2002, 08:25 PM
:p :p :p
man this thing is a hoss!
#31--->#20 in one night...hehehe
dp800
lookout #9 here I Come!!!
ive got the dp folding control installed and also am running the gui downloaded version
...does that make sense?
anyway im working on 3 protiens at a time....hehe

that's what i'm doing too. with dp 800.

good luck catching the big dogs though... actually, you won't.

but it doesn't hurt to try.. haha. i used to be like second or third. then rower and mc68k got their whole freaking lab going.. but it's better this way.

also. great to see that we passed the commies! ie, the russians... yes!

mc68k
Jun 20, 2002, 09:20 PM
also. great to see that we passed the commies! ie, the russians... yes!
That subject opened itself up for many jokes today. Funny how Mother Russia is so cold, you think more people there would be into folding.

LOL, the Cold Folding War…

Yeah w/o the lab, I'd only be running ~6 computers 2 of them my own. So I look up to you guys tht are just running your home machine faithfully. I'm testing out the new beta 3.0 for X, before it expires on 6/24 on my s900 beast.

It gave me another proteinA :( Oh well maybe it'll be faster in straight Darwin overnight..

Off to ResEdit my 7.5 suitcase resources for my upcoming 'tar.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 20, 2002, 09:38 PM
Off to ResEdit my 7.5 suitcase resources for my upcoming 'tar.

it's funny, if you posted more often in the community area, i'm sure you'd be the biggest nerd. instead you let your boss take all the heat.

next time i have a problem i'm coming straight to you. nerdboy.

let me ask you this. any reason not to run folding the way i run? ie, 2 units in folding control and one under the graphical client? all at once... on a dp 800?

stalin and lenin have a secret underground computer network doing mass folding....

mc68k
Jun 21, 2002, 05:58 PM
it's funny, if you posted more often in the community area, i'm sure you'd be the biggest nerd. instead you let your boss take all the heat.Well, I'll have some time coming up, so we'll see. I know the community forum is where I'll find you...
next time i have a problem i'm coming straight to you. nerdboy.I'm honored, I guess.:)
let me ask you this. any reason not to run folding the way i run? ie, 2 units in folding control and one under the graphical client? all at once... on a dp 800?Yes. You have 2 processors and you are running 3 cores, so therefore one of your processors is running double duty. There is no reason for this since that just makes the WU take longer.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 21, 2002, 09:00 PM
Well, I'll have some time coming up, so we'll see. I know the community forum is where I'll find you...

I'm honored, I guess.:)

Yes. You have 2 processors and you are running 3 cores, so therefore one of your processors is running double duty. There is no reason for this since that just makes the WU take longer.

is that some sort of cheap shot like i have nothing useful to say about macs??? ha

good.

ok, so essentially it's the same as running just the 2... so from now on i guess i'll just run folding control... thanks dawg

Draft
Jun 22, 2002, 11:02 AM
MacRumors is moving up the ranks. We're already to 75! I hope that we continue on at the same pace.

Draft

mc68k
Jun 22, 2002, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Draft
MacRumors is moving up the ranks. We're already to 75! I hope that we continue on at the same pace.
The lab I'm running here with Rower is for education at a univ, so we'll prob just run the screensaver when the semester starts. But as for our current pace, It should continue til the end of the summer.

I'm really happy how quickly our team has moved up the ranks. We should pass Apple pretty soon. :)

Tiauguinho
Jun 22, 2002, 05:46 PM
Ohhhhh man... We're going to pass the MOTHERSHIP!!!!!!

hehehehehheheheheh

PyroTurtle
Jun 25, 2002, 08:03 PM
i'm in

mc68k
Jun 25, 2002, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by PyroTurtle
i'm in
Cool. Nice long post. :)

If you need any help, feel free to ask. Welcome to the team..

oddfuzz
Jun 25, 2002, 08:35 PM
If anybody ends up reading this, i would appreciate the help. Anyway, I downloaded the Folding screen saver and decied i want the Command Line or text version (whatever it is) but i can't trash the screen saver. i tried looking for an answer all over the folding page and groups but it seems no one else has this problem (or wants to uninstall the screen saver) so i've come to the place where i'm sure i can get an answer. the only file giving me trouble the the "Folding@home.saver" file in the screen savers folder of my library directory. when moving it anywhere, it says "the operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items." however, i am the only user of this computer and therefor should be the admin, correct? When i getinfo for the file and look at privileges, the owner is system and group is admin. i know i'm being kind of pickie, but i want this pesky thing off my computer. also i've trashed everything else so when i select it as my screen saver i get a kernel crash complete with black and white text. While this is pretty cool (i've never gotten X to do it untill now), i'd feel safer with the issue resolved. anyway, thanks a lot for anyone who comes along and reads this.

PyroTurtle
Jun 26, 2002, 01:23 AM
easy way is to go through OS 9 and trash it there, otherwise you can use the terminal and CHOWN it

Beej
Jun 26, 2002, 01:54 AM
OK, you can boot into 9, or you have a couple of other choices.

1. Log in as "root" with your normal password. Trash the screensaver (don't do anything else, you can kill your system!) log out and log back in like normal.

2. Open the Terminal, type "sudo rm [pathname]" where [pathname] is the path to the screensaver - probably ~/Library/Screen\ Savers/Folding@Home.saver. You'll have to enter your password after typing that.

G'luck!

Beej
Jun 26, 2002, 01:57 AM
And while I'm here...

MR - Team Folding: 72 and climbing rapidly
Mothership: 63 and climbing slowly

madamimadam
Jun 26, 2002, 02:10 AM
I will admit now that I have not read 50% of the posts here due to time restrictions. I did not even know Fold@Home existed and I am going to do the switch from SETI

Is there a program like the one for SETI to start the terminal version instead of opening a shell? I like having the % showing in my dock

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 26, 2002, 02:43 PM
well you should have saved yourself some time and actually read this thread. its mentioned a number of times as well as linked to. but if you ddnt read then you missed all of my bitching so thats cool. The application is called folding control (http://macaddict4life.dhs.org/folding_control.php) and runs the command line client but provides a cocoa window to see progress and enter your name and team number. It also has support for dual processors. what it does not do is give any information in its dock icon or actually give you a numerical %, it just gives a progress bar. also teh sneaky bastards who created it put their own team number in so if you dont put the MR team number in there you will be working for the enemy.

TypeR389
Jun 26, 2002, 03:15 PM
Sweet, looks like have passed everyone who played around and gave up, or has really slow machines. I am at #13 now, and that is running this while running SETI as well...(I have almost 800 seti units already) and on PC to boot!

quickly ducks and PC flames...or maybe that is just my processor heating up! ;)

Draft
Jun 26, 2002, 04:49 PM
We're already to 71 and Apple fell a spot to 64. We're closing on them quickly!

Draft

oddfuzz
Jun 26, 2002, 04:53 PM
Thanks a lot Beej. Boot in 9, why didn't i think of that?!?

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 27, 2002, 02:59 AM
well i finally finished my first WU in my own name. i shall toil in obscurity no more!

and i discovered something pretty cool. you can actually figure out what some stuff about your protein and your work unit.

Project 111
Projects 111, 112, 113 and 114 analyze folding of the Staphylococcal protein A, a 3-helix bundle protein. Protein A is usually bound to the bacterial membrane, and is an important target for antibodies. Here we study folding of protein A and several of its variants. These proteins are the biggest molecules we have ever simulated- however, experiments tell us they fold extremely quickly. We have set the deadline for returning WUs to be 9 days.
here linky linky linky... (http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/projectpage?q=111)

thats pretty cool. Seti doesnt give you information about the aliens you are spying on.

Beej
Jun 27, 2002, 03:12 AM
thats pretty cool. Seti doesnt give you information about the aliens you are spying on. Hmmm... if we knew about the aliens we were spying on, we wouldn't need SETI! :p

AmbitiousLemon
Jun 27, 2002, 03:18 AM
what are you talking about? seti isnt trying to find aliens. its trying to spy on them. how do you think we got zelcro? where do you think Thermus aquaticus came from?

if you think zlecro was invented here on earth when someone took a good hard look at those burs that stick to your socks then you are mistaken. and if you think T. aq came from hot springs then you have been fooled. really now.

[is he kidding? i dont know. stupid lemon]

beatle888
Jun 27, 2002, 03:27 AM
what the heck is this thread about?:confused: :eek: :cool:

Draft
Jun 27, 2002, 07:48 AM
70th place, and still counting. Keep up the good work. We'll catch Apple in no time.

Draft

mc68k
Jun 27, 2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by beatle888
what the heck is this thread about?:confused: :eek: :cool:
It started by buffsldr when we cracked the top 100. That was when our team was smaller. Since then we've gained a lot of new members and have climbed to a position to overtake the mothership. As threads most often do, this one has gone in a different direction.

Good work team. A special thanks to all the new members. :)

mc68k
Jun 27, 2002, 04:21 PM
Here (http://folding.stanford.edu/psummary.html) is a link to a daily updated page on Stanford's current projects. It tells you the projects' number, WU, name, #atoms, deadlines, credit, and description. A must for any hardcore folder. All I ever get are proteinA's on the macs— maybe Stanford knows something we already do. :)

I wasn't going to post the link, but since AL expressed interest, here you are.

pgwalsh
Jun 28, 2002, 02:02 PM
I joined the folding last week and have a question about WU's. My computer crashed and when I restarted it the Folding program downloaded a new WU, but marked the old one as completed on my computer. Now my computer shows 2 more WU's than what's on the website. Is there something I can do to change this? Not that it's that important, but it just seems odd.

The computer is WXPPro. I'll add my mac when I switch to OS X.

:confused:

Tiauguinho
Jun 28, 2002, 02:36 PM
HEHEHEHE!!!

One more proteinAg29a done! More points to our team!!! Received ProteinA now... lets do some more folding!!!!

madamimadam
Jun 30, 2002, 06:54 PM
WOOHOO, I am in the game now.... watch out "Go Navy!", Team Folding is gonna woop yo a$$

firewire2001
Jun 30, 2002, 07:17 PM
WOOHOO, I am in the game now.... watch out "Go Navy!", Team Folding is gonna woop yo a$$

whatcha talking about bubba? im kinda lost.. "Go Navy"?

madamimadam
Jun 30, 2002, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by firewire2001

whatcha talking about bubba? im kinda lost.. "Go Navy"?

"Go Navy!" is the team above Macrumors... "Team Folding" is 69 and "Go Navy!" is 68.

madamimadam
Jul 1, 2002, 07:11 PM
Shi te, 3 places over night

mc68k
Jul 1, 2002, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by madamimadamtimallen
Shi te, 3 places over night
Another few places and we'll have Apple! The teams seem to come in clumps. A big pause and then we're like Anakin in a pod race. The teams will start spacing out pretty soon, then we'll have to wait ~1 week to move anywhere.

madamimadam
Jul 1, 2002, 07:22 PM

Another few places and we'll have Apple! The teams seem to come in clumps. A big pause and then we're like Anakin in a pod race. The teams will start spacing out pretty soon, then we'll have to wait ~1 week to move anywhere.

I think it is pretty safe to say that even with the brilliant work you and Rower have been doing we will never have the number 1 slot. :)

Number 2, however, is achievable in the extra long term.

I might go back to school so I can set up a few folding labs
:)

mc68k
Jul 1, 2002, 07:29 PM

I think it is pretty safe to say that even with the brilliant work you and Rower have been doing we will never have the number 1 slot. :)

Number 2, however, is achievable in the extra long term.

I might go back to school so I can set up a few folding labs
:) If they made a OS 9 client, we'd be way up there with another ~40 macs. I think a lot of other labs are still running 9 for compat reasons and Stanford is losing out beacuse of this.

I think in the long term we could be in the top 30, but we'd have to get more members beacuse school starts in the fall and our labs get used. Maybe just screensavers…

The folding turnout recently has made me very hapy. :) Keep up the excellent work.

madamimadam
Jul 1, 2002, 07:38 PM
If they made a OS 9 client, we'd be way up there with another ~40 macs. I think a lot of other labs are still running 9 for compat reasons and Stanford is losing out beacuse of this.

I think in the long term we could be in the top 30, but we'd have to get more members beacuse school starts in the fall and our labs get used. Maybe just screensavers…

The folding turnout recently has made me very hapy. :) Keep up the excellent work.

I know what you mean, while I am not talking lab size, I have 7 machine here that I can process on (the others are laptops that get moved around and I have not got access to) the only problem is that only 3 machines are on OS X. Lucky for me, one is a DP 500 so I have 4 processers but that is SO far below max ability of the office.

backspinner
Jul 2, 2002, 05:59 PM
I guess that by now we took the place of team Apple...

madamimadam
Jul 2, 2002, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by backspinner
I guess that by now we took the place of team Apple...

One place to go

kishba
Jul 2, 2002, 06:21 PM

One place to go

we're soooo close!!!

just a few more units!!!!

darn i need to find more computers ;)

mc68k
Jul 2, 2002, 06:25 PM
Our ascent is delayed…waxing the lab floors tonight…all computers must be off…so I'll just have ~10 folding here.

backspinner
Jul 3, 2002, 08:42 AM
check this out, we slowed down a little:

mc68k
Jul 3, 2002, 11:42 AM
The lab is up again…we should be passing them tonight, but hopefully sooner. My DP Gig has two more coming by this afternoon.

Waxing the floors couldn't have come at a more worse time. :(

littlejim
Jul 4, 2002, 01:10 AM
7.00 GMT ... 62nd place and we've passed big brother!!

Great start for 4th July celebrations over in the US eh?!

littlejim a.k.a. CaptainPovey

jelloshotsrule
Jul 4, 2002, 08:26 AM
should be 10 more points coming from me sometime today.... word

Tiauguinho
Jul 5, 2002, 05:10 AM
Starting to fold on my new PowerMac G4 1Ghz!! It's going to help it's Ti brother!!! We may count on more units per week!

Tiauguinho
Jul 5, 2002, 01:59 PM
I´ve downloaded the folding control app, installed it, etc etc etc. But then I needed to shutdown the and i selected stop folding and quit the app. Now i can't find the app! Where is it? how do I launch it again? Where is the folding control Icon?

Thanks in advance!

mc68k
Jul 5, 2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Tiauguinho
I´ve downloaded the folding control app, installed it, etc etc etc. But then I needed to shutdown the and i selected stop folding and quit the app. Now i can't find the app! Where is it? how do I launch it again? Where is the folding control Icon?

Thanks in advance! Have you tried doing a search? You can use sherlock or my personal favorite EasyFind (http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=11706&db=mac). When you do find it I suggest you leave it in your dock so you don't lose it again— just quitting out of the app does not make it disappear off your system.

Taft
Jul 5, 2002, 02:28 PM

Thanks in advance!

When you downloaded the app, did it come on a disk image (a .img file)?? If it did, you could have been running the app directly from the disk image which would be closed when you restarted.

Taft

Tiauguinho
Jul 5, 2002, 02:43 PM
Thanks Mc68k and Taft!

The app isn't here! So, Taft you're right, I don't remember from where I was runing but the only explanation is that I was running it directly from the disk image.

I'll download it again...

Thanks for your help

littlejim
Jul 5, 2002, 05:34 PM
Has anyone else started folding a new protien type? My machines have been working (usually) on 'proteinA' or 'protien 601' up until yesterday, each taking a while to process but giving 5 points.

But now all my machines (DP1Ghz, G3-400, Pentium 400) seem to be working on type 'p13x_yABCunf' each completing in next to no time, but only giving fractions of points?

Is this related to me getting my old PC folding?

BTW. It's great to see so many new names joining over the last week or so. Hope everyone catches the bug as much as I have :)

-------------------------------------
littlejim a.k.a. CaptainPovey

kishba
Jul 5, 2002, 06:16 PM
i've been seeing many oddly named proteins now as well...

i wish i understood exactly what i was doing and what i was doing it to... hehehe ;)

mc68k
Jul 6, 2002, 01:24 AM
I made a thread about it with a link…

Basically, I think they focused their efforts on mainly proteinA's for a while and are now shifting focus elsewhere. The link has point values and explanations for most of the proteins…

Most of them are less than 5 points per WU though…

Tiauguinho
Jul 6, 2002, 04:46 AM
I'm processing two new proteins as well, named 198 p138_1L2Ynative and 201 p139_1L2Yunf. I've noticed that they processed much faster than usual, but didn't finished yet to see how many points do they give.

sluthy
Jul 6, 2002, 05:11 AM
I'm guessing my 500MHz G3 iMac with a dialup connection can't help in any signifigant way?

mc68k
Jul 6, 2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by sluthy
I'm guessing my 500MHz G3 iMac with a dialup connection can't help in any signifigant way? There are two times that the folding client connects to the internet: When you launch the client and when it finishes a work unit.

So the answer to your question would be yes— you would have to be connected to the internet during these two times. Otherwise your computer does not have an active network connection. A 500 MHz g3 would help us out a lot as it is a fast machine for folding. I have a B&W G3 OC'd to 500 mHz and my s900 at home is OC'd to 510mHz and these machines are great folders.

concrete
Jul 7, 2002, 11:35 PM
I've joined the folding@home with my brand new emac and my old PIII 500. After a few days it looks like my pentium is a lot faster than my emac which is a bit frustrating to see.

I thought that my emac would be a lot faster than my 2 year old computer...

can anyone explain

buffsldr
Jul 7, 2002, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by concrete
I've joined the folding@home with my brand new emac and my old PIII 500. After a few days it looks like my pentium is a lot faster than my emac which is a bit frustrating to see.

I thought that my emac would be a lot faster than my 2 year old computer...

can anyone explain

First, allow me to welcome you and both your computers to the team. Second, not all work units are the same. Some finish faster than others (even on the same machine). I am not saying which of your computers is faster because i dont know. The more difficult the work unit the more points you get.

Good luck.

AmbitiousLemon
Jul 8, 2002, 02:28 AM
it is also a case of software. the windows folding software is a version ahead of the mac software, and the new pc software saw great improvements in performance over the previous version. also the folding software does not use altivec, which essentially means your processor has been castrated. unless mac's get some better folding software the pcs will always be faster.

madamimadam
Jul 8, 2002, 02:34 AM
it is also a case of software. the windows folding software is a version ahead of the mac software, and the new pc software saw great improvements in performance over the previous version. also the folding software does not use altivec, which essentially means your processor has been castrated. unless mac's get some better folding software the pcs will always be faster.

What are you folding on AL??? You are taking a while to move past one WU

AmbitiousLemon
Jul 8, 2002, 02:44 AM
333mhz g3 powerbook lombard

800mhz g4 imac

933mhz g4 powermac

madamimadam
Jul 8, 2002, 02:51 AM
333mhz g3 powerbook lombard

800mhz g4 imac

933mhz g4 powermac

Jesus man, you should be kicking my arse... what is up????

AmbitiousLemon
Jul 8, 2002, 02:57 AM
ive been donating my units to other team members. just did the one wu in my own name so i would feel like part of the team with my name up there.

madamimadam
Jul 8, 2002, 03:03 AM
ive been donating my units to other team members. just did the one wu in my own name so i would feel like part of the team with my name up there.

OOOHHHH... you are SO nice
What possessed you to be so kind to others?
;)

pgwalsh
Jul 8, 2002, 11:52 PM
We're now down @ 60 and moving. I just added today a PIV 1.8 Ghz and soon a 1.7 Ghz. However there's a couple people that are smoking along with all 5's. What are you running?

mc68k
Jul 9, 2002, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by pgwalsh
We're now down @ 60 and moving. I just added today a PIV 1.8 Ghz and soon a 1.7 Ghz. However there's a couple people that are smoking along with all 5's. What are you running?
There are currently no proteinA's that yielded 5 points a piece. This was about all I was getting on my faster Macs and many of my PC's for a long time.

Now that they have discontinued that protein family, most proteins aren't woth very much anymore— the highest being 4.2.

From my experience, any Mac over 500 MHz (g3/g4 doens't matter) should get decent proteins. All of the PC's I have run are 1GHz, so I can't say much there.

I won't speak for the other people here, but I know that the higher-end G4's get the big proteins every time. And many here are running only a few machines, so they probably get the bigger proteins every time.

warrenpeace
Jul 9, 2002, 06:29 PM
I have no idea what y'all are talking about.

Is there a site for this contest?

Rower_CPU
Jul 9, 2002, 06:36 PM
Here's the thread that arn started for the team:
http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=4632

All the info's in this forum, just read a little...

[edit: as for the contest, you can see team rankings on this page:
http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/searchteamstats

We're currently in 60th place.:) ]

resm
Jul 9, 2002, 08:48 PM
I am using my iMac 800

the first 3 units I finished where all 5 pointers and took me each 3- 4 nights to finish.

I use no aircon during day time since I am at work, so that is a bit to warm for my baby and I let it rest.

Now I'm getting smaller units (about 2 points) but they finish very fast.

merman637
Jul 10, 2002, 10:53 AM
what are you folding on j763?......ive been competeing with you for a while now for 12th place.....im using a DP 800 at work....folding control is on 24-7 but im sure while im working it doesnt get as much work done.....BTW people...if you close down classic mode when your computer is idle, you will get better performance out of folding control....As to seeing info about each protien.....this is a very cool feature i have seen at the website.....folding.stanford.edu.......Now if I could just understand what the crap they are talking about :confused: :D

merman637
Jul 10, 2002, 10:57 AM
forgot to post my info on proteins and why they are not all Protein A's.......the site says that they come up with proteins to be folded and then set a time table for them to be folded....once that time has passed they move on to other proteins, thus the different funny named ones....if your interested in what protein you happen to be folding got to the website...it will teel you what the protein is....what it does....and how long it should take to fold.....I wish they would get rid of those pesky "test" proteins.....im on a mission for society here! dont give me a "test" give me real stuff.....:D

backspinner
Jul 11, 2002, 07:21 AM
We passed the 10000 score border!

littlejim
Jul 11, 2002, 08:42 AM
We passed the 10000 score border!
And we should be in the top 50 in a few days!

------------------------------------
littlejim a.k.a. captainpovey

backspinner
Jul 11, 2002, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by littlejim

And we should be in the top 50 in a few days!

Not if we continue to get negative results...

littlejim
Jul 11, 2002, 11:13 AM

Not if we continue to get negative results...

Yep ... I'm stealing work units back and donating them to Apple Computer Inc. team. I feel sorry for them ...
No idea what that figure is. How the hell can I earn negative units?

----------------------------------------

pgwalsh
Jul 11, 2002, 11:46 AM
Backspinner,
Where did you get that table from? What's the link page?

pgwalsh @ 7 and moving.

littlejim
Jul 11, 2002, 01:10 PM
Backspinner,
Where did you get that table from? What's the link page?

pgwalsh @ 7 and moving.
The main page is here (http://www.statsman.org/folding2stats/html/)

From there, you can examine each team in detail.

------------------------------------

5th place ... and falling (if my negative scores continue)

mc68k
Jul 11, 2002, 03:48 PM
Our lab here has had 2 network outages and 2 power outages!!

Then we have another network outage scheduled on Sat! How's a man supposed to fold??!!??

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

pgwalsh
Jul 11, 2002, 05:22 PM
Our lab here has had 2 network outages and 2 power outages!!

Then we have another network outage scheduled on Sat! How's a man supposed to fold?

Well, time to bust out the calculator, pencil and paper. :p

madamimadam
Jul 12, 2002, 01:11 AM
A high-performance computing solution is needed when the amount of time required for a single task to complete becomes unacceptable.

Many scientists are trying to understand how a linear molecule folds itself into a three-dimensional structure. Studying how a protein folds provides insight into how proteins work--such as how hemoglobin is able to fold and surround an iron molecule in order to carry oxygen through the body. Protein folding experiments are very computationally intensive. A single protein folding experiment on a 1 GHz Power Mac G4 can easily take several days. It would be ideal to speed up this process to a more reasonable amount of time, say 1 hour. This would require an HPC solution. Currently, the most cost-effective method of creating an HPC solution is with a cluster of off-the-shelf and readily available computers. This type of cluster accelerates the process by working cooperatively on the same computationally intensive task. The task of computational protein folding is considered tightly coupled, since each part of the simulation affects other parts of the simulation.

# Meta computing. This solution involves the use of available distributed computing resources for high-throughput solutions. Familiar examples are SETI and Folding@Home--Stanford University's (Pande Group) distributed simulation project to determine how proteins assemble themselves. These solutions require specialized application software, and the volume of processing depends entirely on the number of resources available.

MacFocus
Jul 12, 2002, 02:24 AM
I,ve joined!

After just reading Macrumors.com for a long time, I tought it was a good idea to help you all with the folding thing. So from now on my G4/533 will be folding 24/7, 365 days a year.

Happy folding...

Tiauguinho
Jul 12, 2002, 04:30 AM
Welcome MacFocus!!!

Glad to see that we have a new and excited member on our team! Happy Folding and welcome to the boards!

MacFocus
Jul 12, 2002, 04:43 AM
Welcome MacFocus!!!

Glad to see that we have a new and excited member on our team! Happy Folding and welcome to the boards!

Thanks,

Now I just hope that i'm actually folding...
There's nothing happening yet.
I'll be patient.

Tiauguinho
Jul 12, 2002, 06:30 AM
MacFocus

It'll take some time until it shows some progress.

BTW, are you using the Graphical Client or the Folfing Control? If you're using the graphical client, I recommend you to use the Folding Control because it's faster.

You can find it in here.

http://macaddict4life.dhs.org/folding_control.php

mc68k
Jul 12, 2002, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by MacFocus
I,ve joined!

After just reading Macrumors.com for a long time, I tought it was a good idea to help you all with the folding thing. So from now on my G4/533 will be folding 24/7, 365 days a year.

Happy folding... Thanks for donating your machine to our cause!!! Your efforts are appreciated. :)

pgwalsh
Jul 12, 2002, 06:52 PM
When I joined the Macrumors folding team we had 90 active processors. I looked today and we have 158. I joined about a month ago. IT would be neat if we could break 200 active processors.

I hope you all have a good weekend. I think I'm going clubing in SF. There's a lot of little Windows users out there that need a good bop on the head.

kishba
Jul 12, 2002, 11:06 PM
When I joined the Macrumors folding team we had 90 active processors. I looked today and we have 158. I joined about a month ago. IT would be neat if we could break 200 active processors.

if i'm lucky and can get around a few issues with security software and a very irritating firewall i will help bring us up past that 200 until school starts... but i can't really promise...

anyways we're just shooting up the list and soon we'll be in the upper 50... maybe by that time we can start a new thread... this one is becoming quite large ;)

mc68k
Jul 13, 2002, 01:41 PM
When I joined the Macrumors folding team we had 90 active processors. I looked today and we have 158. I joined about a month ago. IT would be neat if we could break 200 active processors.Some of those processors aren't "real". They're duplicates processors on machines where we imaged a lab here, thus changing the client ID. Changing the unique client ID makes a new active processor and ups the count. Expect that number to go up again when we reimage the lab here and then go back down when the two week cycle for active processors retires the old ones.

jelloshotsrule
Jul 13, 2002, 07:16 PM
the number of processors skyrocketed recently, when i added my parents' imac to work for the cause

oh wait.

Rower_CPU
Jul 13, 2002, 09:47 PM
Ha. Every CPU counts.

Just cause we're running 40 or so doesn't mean you should feel any less special.:p :D

mc68k
Jul 14, 2002, 12:49 AM
the number of processors skyrocketed recently, when i added my parents' imac to work for the cause

oh wait. Your contributions are even braver than ours! I know of the parents' wrath here when they found out about my "folding". You giveth all that is at your disposal, and I admire that. I think those ambitions are shared, judging by many replies here.

Now that my s900 "broke" they shant be complainin' na mur. All I have is a 7200 here to check my mail. :(

jelloshotsrule
Jul 14, 2002, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Ha. Every CPU counts.

Just cause we're running 40 or so doesn't mean you should feel any less special.:p :D

i didn't.

til you said that
jerkass

yeah, it's my parents. but my mom only uses it really. and mainly for just email/web/text docs and whatnot.... so it doesn't matter. nothing big enough that folding would suck up all their power. of course, i leave all her apps going, so it's not at top speed. but oh well. better than nothing

ps. rower- i hate you

Rower_CPU
Jul 14, 2002, 02:18 AM
ps. rower- i hate you

Ha! Good! I never liked you anyway...pederast!

pgwalsh
Jul 14, 2002, 08:39 AM
ooh! aah! We've now made it to number 50. We be jamming.

jelloshotsrule
Jul 14, 2002, 08:55 AM
Ha! Good! I never liked you anyway...pederast!

wow, that's not cool..... i had to look it up though

pederast
n : a man who has sex with a boy [syn: paederast, child molester]

jerkass

Rower_CPU
Jul 14, 2002, 12:54 PM
wow, that's not cool..... i had to look it up though

pederast
n : a man who has sex with a boy [syn: paederast, child molester]

jerkass

Glad to enlighten you in some way.:rolleyes:

Just in case anyone is confused, jello and I are joking around, as we sometimes do. This is not serious.

jelloshotsrule
Jul 14, 2002, 01:56 PM
Glad to enlighten you in some way.:rolleyes:

Just in case anyone is confused, jello and I are joking around, as we sometimes do. This is not serious.

i think the people in this forum don't care enough to bitch and whine about us joking around and being so "exclusive"...

so it looks like team folding will hit a huge wall at the 45 spot.... where there's a huge difference between 44 and 45.... 2600 points or so.

then again, with the parents' imac going now....... no one can stop us!

kishba
Jul 14, 2002, 02:09 PM
then again, with the parents' imac going now....... no one can stop us!

forget that! i just got my powerbook g3 400 back... now we're cooking ;)

madamimadam
Jul 14, 2002, 04:40 PM

forget that! i just got my powerbook g3 400 back... now we're cooking ;)

On a more serious note - ;) - I just wish they had an OS 9 version so I could get the SETI machines at work running as Folding machines.

mc68k
Jul 14, 2002, 06:29 PM

On a more serious note - ;) - I just wish they had an OS 9 version so I could get the SETI machines at work running as Folding machines. I second that motion. Its because they only have to recompile from the Linux version of the client. I guess classic develpoment is too much for them. It's a damn shame, we'd be 20 places higher for sure.

thoule123
Jul 15, 2002, 04:02 PM
FYI- Folding is not a multithreaded app. Once it is running on a Dual Processor machine, you still may have lonely CPU cycles. I have a second install (so the ID's are different) running, then just start it twice.

btw- can I use the same username on different machines? As long as they have different ID's right...?

mc68k
Jul 15, 2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by thoule123
btw- can I use the same username on different machines? As long as they have different ID's right...? Yes. The client ID, as you may know, is a unique identifier for that one processor, assigned by the servers at Stanford automatically.

A WU has one name and one team associated with it. Your name + team determines where the credit for that WU goes (anonymous if default). You can use the same client ID, but the WUs processed would only show up under 1 processor, even though you are using 2.

For any machine (mac, pc, and linux) running version 2 of the client, the client ID is stored in the client.cfg file. In version 3 for the PC, it is stored in the registry.

AmbitiousLemon
Jul 16, 2002, 02:31 AM
well i havent checked out the info on any of the new proteins but i just tried, and it seems none of them have any information posted about them like the proteinAs did. ive done 130s 140s 310s 900s 260s and none of them have any information available in the same manner the proteinAs (110s) did. so whats up?

mc68k
Jul 18, 2002, 02:56 PM
well i havent checked out the info on any of the new proteins but i just tried, and it seems none of them have any information posted about them like the proteinAs did. ive done 130s 140s 310s 900s 260s and none of them have any information available in the same manner the proteinAs (110s) did. so whats up? Did you check this (http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/allprojects#143) page? They seem to have info for all of the current proteins.

Falleron
Jul 18, 2002, 03:21 PM
You guys have been doing really well while I have been away! Top 50 now!

AmbitiousLemon
Jul 18, 2002, 07:40 PM
so the mac os version of folding has been updated to 3.0. my question is, for those of us running folding control, how do we get it to download the new application?

madamimadam
Jul 18, 2002, 10:02 PM
MacFocus

It'll take some time until it shows some progress.

BTW, are you using the Graphical Client or the Folfing Control? If you're using the graphical client, I recommend you to use the Folding Control because it's faster.

You can find it in here.

http://macaddict4life.dhs.org/folding_control.php

I wanted to check to see if there was a new version of the control to go with the new version of folding@home but the site is dead.

madamimadam
Jul 18, 2002, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Falleron
You guys have been doing really well while I have been away! Top 50 now!

We should be 43 by the end of the month

AmbitiousLemon
Jul 18, 2002, 10:26 PM
ive got another question. im wondering how much slower is the screensaver version than the console version. im thinking of switching some of the machines to the screensaver version but not if i will see a significant drop in productivity.

mc68k
Jul 19, 2002, 12:38 AM
ive got another question. im wondering how much slower is the screensaver version than the console version. im thinking of switching some of the machines to the screensaver version but not if i will see a significant drop in productivity.
I love this thread. :) It's funny what it's titled and what we've been asking in it. Anyways, I'm too lazy to change it too.

To answer your question, apps like SETI and folding are based on processor time. Each process that is run by the OS takes up some percentage of the processor's overall workload.

With Folding you have the Core65.exe process that takes up all idle CPU time. With all other factors being equal the binary controlling the Core65 process. is the variable.

With the console version hidden, and terminal running, you are using the least resources. With the graphical client hidden you use almost the same resources (a little higher according to FAQs). With the screensaver version, you are displaying graphics to the screen, which by looking at the graphical version through top, always takes away cycles from Core65.

Judging through top with graphics displyed, it has taken anywhere from ~1-15% (constantly variable) of my overall pocessor cycles. Unless some factor is different with the OS when running in screen-saver mode, that app keeps taking away a little at a time. You could study for a while the average draw of graphics through top and come up with a percentage. You could also then take this percentage and multiply it with some output figure. That would give you the amount lost due to graphics. If it's taking, say, 6% on average to display graphics, then that's 6% that could have been used to go through frames. That is my logic.

If you could turn off the graphics, then it would be virtually the same as the other two. Graphics seems to be the only detrimental factor.

So it's not an incredible amount, but over time it could be. I tend to set the screens to go into powersave mode, and let console or graphical (hidden of course) run in the background). This gives me piece of mind that I did not waste any of the computer's resources.

mc68k
Jul 19, 2002, 12:42 AM
so the mac os version of folding has been updated to 3.0. my question is, for those of us running folding control, how do we get it to download the new application? If their site is down any longer, I will try to come up with a solution for Folding Control users to use FAH3. It should be as easy as replacing the controlling binary and the Core binary, unless FAH3 has different implementation.

This bears further investigation. I'm sure MacAddict wants to retain their posterity, so we should see a solution soon.

Tiauguinho
Jul 20, 2002, 10:51 AM
Do you guys know if the Version 3 of f@h is altivec enabled??

jelloshotsrule
Jul 20, 2002, 11:03 AM
Do you guys know if the Version 3 of f@h is altivec enabled??

and also, does anyone know if there's a folding control for v. 3 in the works?

Rower_CPU
Jul 20, 2002, 02:28 PM
tiauguinho-
According to everything I've heard, yes it is. I can't seem to find any documentation on the Folding site right now. I'll let mc68k confirm.

jello-
They haven't released it yet. It also sounds like they've changed the way the program works making it more difficult to run a GUI and CLI version simultaneously (for those with DP machines), since I guess they store their work in the same directory now. Running 2 CLI versions should still work nicely.

mc68k
Jul 20, 2002, 06:10 PM
Do you guys know if the Version 3 of f@h is altivec enabled?? It's just an updated client, not core. The core that the developers say is Alitivec/SSE aware is called Gromacs. The current F@H core is not based off gromacs and very slightly changed from the previous version. It's always best to upgrade, but you won't see major speed increases.

I would like to wean you all to pure console, F_Control is really unecessary.

AmbitiousLemon
Jul 20, 2002, 06:36 PM
unnecessary? i tried the console first and it sucked. you couldnt see progress. you couldnt start and stop easily. it was like runnning blind. very annoying.

so gromacs is altivec aware. any indication if this will be ready anytime in the near future? kinda sucks that all the macs are basically castrated.

mc68k
Jul 20, 2002, 06:45 PM
unnecessary? i tried the console first and it sucked. you couldnt see progress. you couldnt start and stop easily. it was like runnning blind. very annoying.

so gromacs is altivec aware. any indication if this will be ready anytime in the near future? kinda sucks that all the macs are basically castrated.
The PC's are equally as castrated as well. Sucks more for the researchers.

Console ouputs to the screen and mirrors the screen output to a file called FAHlog.txt. The internal workings are mirrored in your work folder in a file called logfile_0x.txt, where x is your currnet WU. All you have to do is make a link to this file and open it up when your curious. As to which WU you're on, you can see that from the main home screen. To me, an app running an app running a core is sort of ridiculous, but I guess that's partially the fault of Stanford (they do have a graphical client that's basically the same as F_Control).

Start stop is ^C or ^Z for suspend, then last command in history or fg, respectively. I guess it takes some getting used to. I wouldn't want to wait around for those MacAddict4Life people to come up w/something.

My computer's been broken, so I haven't been able to read the boards that the Folding team runs. There are a few of them linked to on the main site. I will tell you more info when I have more time to research it myself.

physicaldrummer
Jul 21, 2002, 03:37 PM
I can't wait to join! Right now all I have is an old 8600/250 with a dial-up that probably can't help much, but when I go to college in sept. I will be getting a PowerMac (maybe a 1.2GHz DP if they are out by then) and a 500-600MHz iBook, so I will definitely help. I need my scholarship money to buy the computers so sorry I can't join just yet...

kishba
Jul 24, 2002, 01:32 PM
well i finally tricked my workplace's firewall into letting folding through... this means i have a total of ~35 computers running right now with folding (at work... i have a few @ home still)

this is very good for our team :)

the computers aren't incredibly fast (just p3 500's), but every little bit counts

i'll see if i can bring up another lab later... i will only be able to leave the computers running folding until august 20ish because that's when school starts and my supervisor isn't too keen on running folding all the time

buffsldr
Jul 24, 2002, 01:44 PM
Great work, Kishba. You are correct, every little bit does count. Anyone else notice how many mac teams are in the top 60? Go macs!

mc68k
Jul 24, 2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by buffsldr
Great work, Kishba. You are correct, every little bit does count. Anyone else notice how many mac teams are in the top 60? Go macs! 6 teams, that's 10%! The mac teams have quite a presence, and our team hasn't found our "true" ranking yet. :D

Sadly, most machines I'm running are PC's for a mac team. :eek:

kishba
Jul 24, 2002, 04:21 PM
6 teams, that's 10%! The mac teams have quite a presence, and our team hasn't found our "true" ranking yet. :D

only 2 of the 30 some computers running with my username are macs's.... my macs don't do much folding by themselves because i'm usually doing actual work with them ;)

madamimadam
Jul 24, 2002, 06:00 PM
6 teams, that's 10%! The mac teams have quite a presence, and our team hasn't found our "true" ranking yet. :D

After getting pissed off with Folding Control after is suddenly stopped working on a couple of machines after the upgrade to 3.0 was released (Go figure, I thought it would still work fine but on the old core) I have followed your words of wisdom and started core 3 on terminal only.
:) ;) :D

mmmdreg
Jul 27, 2002, 09:06 AM
let's try and be the best Mac team out there..well at least in the top 5 (are we there yet?)

Rower_CPU
Jul 27, 2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by mmmdreg
let's try and be the best Mac team out there..well at least in the top 5 (are we there yet?)

Looks like we're 5th among Mac teams...unless I left someone out:
18 - MacAddict4Life
23 - Team MacOS X
25 - Team Macphilez
32 - Team MacNN
44 - MacRumors.com - Team Folding

Tiauguinho
Jul 27, 2002, 05:07 PM
We made it!!!! We are now 44th in the team ranking! 10418,7 left to catch Team MacNN!

Way to go Team!

kishba
Jul 28, 2002, 09:35 PM
hey fellow folders...

i just found a way to use the latest folding client (v3) on the mac and STILL see the progress of your protein WITHOUT running the folding @ home control...

i'm using a program called DesktopConsole that overlays any text file/log over your desktop (you can download the program from versiontracker.com)

i set up the program to overlay the FAH's log and it now displays "Finished a frame (XX)" on my desktop!!

very cool, very efficient, and a great time saver

madamimadam
Jul 28, 2002, 11:19 PM
I am having a lot of trouble with the terminal on multiple processors

I have installed the app twice, both in my user folder but one in a folder called "Folding@Home" and one in a folder called "Folding@Home2".

The first app is "OSX-3.0" and the second is "OSX2-3.0".

When I load them both the terminal says they are both processing the same work unit BUT the CPU monitor says 100% on both processors.

YAY - That makes 500 messages

Rower_CPU
Jul 28, 2002, 11:34 PM
I am having a lot of trouble with the terminal on multiple processors

I have installed the app twice, both in my user folder but one in a folder called "Folding@Home" and one in a folder called "Folding@Home2".

The first app is "OSX-3.0" and the second is "OSX2-3.0".

When I load them both the terminal says they are both processing the same work unit BUT the CPU monitor says 100% on both processors.

YAY - That makes 500 messages

Folding@Home 3 places all your work in ~/Library/Folding@home, so that's why you're working on the same unit...but as long as both CPUs are crunching away on it, then it comes out even. 2 WUs at regular speed is the same as 1 at 2x the speed.:)

Nice 'tar...is that the Rendezvous logo?

madamimadam
Jul 28, 2002, 11:40 PM

Folding@Home 3 places all your work in ~/Library/Folding@home, so that's why you're working on the same unit...but as long as both CPUs are crunching away on it, then it comes out even. 2 WUs at regular speed is the same as 1 at 2x the speed.:)

Nice 'tar...is that the Rendezvous logo?

Thanks... yeah, it is the Rendezvous logo but I have to make it bigger... i will do another render tonight or something.

I was worried they would clash if they are working on the same unit.... I'll start off the 2nd processor again, then
:)

littlejim
Jul 30, 2002, 09:06 AM
I've just seen, there is a new version of Folding Control that offers F@H 3 compatability At Version Tracker (http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=14331&db=macosx)

And BTW - Way to go kishba! We're going to need every WU we can get ... looks like there are a couple of other fast moving teams coming up on the rails ...

---------------------------------

kishba
Jul 30, 2002, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by littlejim
And BTW - Way to go kishba! We're going to need every WU we can get ... looks like there are a couple of other fast moving teams coming up on the rails

well i had to take the lab of 30 computers offline because of a summer school activity... i won't have time before school starts to get it up again... that means i only have 7 computers at work running now... and 2 at home

sorry guys :(

Rower_CPU
Jul 30, 2002, 10:09 AM
well i had to take the lab of 30 computers offline because of a summer school activity... i won't have time before school starts to get it up again... that means i only have 7 computers at work running now... and 2 at home

We feel your pain here in our lab as well, we've had workshops running for the last two weeks, and our ouput is pretty low right now.

We'll get 4 more good weeks in August, but when school starts up in September...:confused:

mc68k
Jul 30, 2002, 11:07 AM
…but when school starts up in September...:confused: Pray to the screensaver gods that they will grant us much downtime and idle-ness. No more console. :(

Our team (and output sometimes) has more than doubled since I've been aboard. At least we'll stay within the top 100.

madamimadam
Jul 30, 2002, 06:31 PM

Can you set up the screen saver???

7 + 2, or 9, is a lot of computers, all the same... you are a HUGE help to the cause. Every machine makes a difference....

I think I should start promoting World Vision or something
ROFLMAO

kishba
Jul 30, 2002, 07:02 PM

Can you set up the screen saver???

7 + 2, or 9, is a lot of computers, all the same... you are a HUGE help to the cause. Every machine makes a difference....

I think I should start promoting World Vision or something
ROFLMAO

well it wouldn't help any... the security software reboots the computers every 90 minutes (when it's idle) and completely resets it back to an image... and i can't store FAH on the network because not everyone would have access to the same folders, etc

oh well

pimentoLoaf
Aug 2, 2002, 03:05 PM
After racking up 860 SETI wu's, I think I'll wait until the folks at Berkeley start using southern hemisphere data from the Parkes Observatory in Australia before I crunch anymore alien signals. Which means...

I'VE REJOINED F@H !!!

I have a different name, though, as I was an old Genome@Home (http://genomeathome.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/userpage.pl?q=ef2000_typhoon) user.

And I'm tossing in my Mobile Pentium II @ 366 MHz into the enterprise, as well, having downloaded the new 3.0 client -- which runs about as fast as my 500 MHz iBook's client.

Graphical non-screensaver for both.

Rower_CPU
Aug 2, 2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by pimentoLoaf
After racking up 860 SETI wu's, I think I'll wait until the folks at Berkeley start using southern hemisphere data from the Parkes Observatory in Australia before I crunch anymore alien signals. Which means...

I'VE REJOINED F@H !!!

I have a different name, though, as I was an old Genome@Home (http://genomeathome.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/userpage.pl?q=ef2000_typhoon) user.

And I'm tossing in my Mobile Pentium II @ 366 MHz into the enterprise, as well, having downloaded the new 3.0 client -- which runs about as fast as my 500 MHz iBook's client.

Graphical non-screensaver for both.

Welcome to the team!:)

Our labs will return to full strength next week, so we should be seeing a good upswing of output.

Keep at it folks, we should take 44th place soon, but 43 and 42 are over 1000 and 2000 points away, respectively...we're in for the long haul.:D

Tiauguinho
Aug 2, 2002, 03:22 PM
Welcome back to the team PimentoLoaf!

I think that we need a strategy to bring more and more people to our team.

What do you guys think that we should do?

pgwalsh
Aug 2, 2002, 03:27 PM

Keep at it folks, we should take 44th place soon, but 43 and 42 are over 1000 and 2000 points away, respectively...we're in for the long haul.:D
On the Statsman page we're already 44th place. We bounced around a little I think Lucidsoft sneaked by us recently.

Rower_CPU
Aug 2, 2002, 03:30 PM
On the Statsman page we're already 44th place. We bounced around a little I think Lucidsoft sneaked by us recently.

I go by the Folding home page, which includes the "no team" team...but either way you shake it, the next two teams will take a while to pass.

Tiauguinho
Aug 4, 2002, 06:45 AM
Guys we need to speed up! We have the TAB Folding Team right behind us!

We need more users to help us!

Rower_CPU
Aug 4, 2002, 02:08 PM
Guys we need to speed up! We have the TAB Folding Team right behind us!

We need more users to help us!

Actually, we just passed them for 43rd.:)

The Statsman page ( http://statsman.org/folding2stats/html/ ) shows a lot of info as far as rate of scoring goes.

There are two teams that are in position to pass us in the next month or two:
StorageForum.net - 2,040.92 points per week - 45th place
Team Austech.Info - 2,002.70 points per week - 48th place

We're averaging 1309.08 points per week right now, but hopefully we'll pick back up this next week once I get the lab running at full steam again.:)

Tiauguinho
Aug 4, 2002, 02:40 PM
Rower

What kind of strategy should we have to bring more users to our team? Do you think that we should create a new Thread bringing attention to Folding@home and how to join? We are 43rd in the teams ranking and that is very good!! We are all doing a good job, specially you and mc68k! But we need more "new blood" in our team. Do you have any sugestions? Do you agree with the new thread idea?

Rower_CPU
Aug 4, 2002, 02:59 PM
I think a new thread is a great idea...especially since this one is pretty old/long, and no longer applies to our current ranking.

I think our success has brought a lot of new members, but a little reminding and information couldn't hurt.:)

Tiauguinho
Aug 4, 2002, 03:41 PM
Ok! Can you make a new thread, explaining folding@home, our team and our rank?

Rower_CPU
Aug 4, 2002, 03:45 PM
Will do.:)

madamimadam
Aug 6, 2002, 12:19 AM
I have been looking into dual processing FAH 3.0 and it seems that it is just not possible. Even Folding Control says that multiprocessing has been disabled for reasons that are the fault of FAH.

When you have 2 processors working on the same WU you just end up destroying the information in the WU.

Rower_CPU
Aug 6, 2002, 12:23 AM
I have been looking into dual processing FAH 3.0 and it seems that it is just not possible. Even Folding Control says that multiprocessing has been disabled for reasons that are the fault of FAH.

When you have 2 processors working on the same WU you just end up destroying the information in the WU.

That's really f'ed up....I thought that at least if both CPUs were crunching the WU it would at least go twice as fast...Stanford better get their crap together and fix this bug.:mad:

madamimadam
Aug 6, 2002, 12:27 AM
There is hope, though, I am running one copy of version 3 and one copy of the previous version (2.11???) and since they both save the work ect. in different places everything works ok.

The old one is available at the top of:
http://folding.stanford.edu/release/

pimentoLoaf
Aug 13, 2002, 10:28 PM
In case you're wondering about some of the science of crunching proteins, this:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/bioskills/chapter/ch01.html

will give a good introduction.

mc68k
Aug 14, 2002, 02:46 PM

I ran 2 FAH's successfully on a DP GIG QS. You just have to have 2 seperate folders with duplicate contents, except for the client.cfg file.

Process:

o Download F@H Console
o Open terminal
o chmod +x the F@H binary
o create 2 new folders, F@H1 and F@H2
o drop the binary in F@H1
o change directory to F@H1
o excecute binary in F@H1
o wait 'till it dowloads core, and starts folding
o ^C the binary to terminate execution
o drag the binary and newly created core file to F@H2
o open new terminal window
o change directory to
o excecute binary in F@H2

Unfortuneately, F@H3 stores the files in your /Users/[username]Library/Folding@home subdirectory. So if there's only one location for the config files, then you can't create multiple client ID's. So if you want multiprocessing bad enough, then get F@H2. It's pretty much the same thing.

jelloshotsrule
Aug 14, 2002, 02:48 PM
welcome back charlie.....

how was the trip, how's the computer? etc.

having a dual 800 i have yet to switch to fah3 and i guess i probably won't unless there's a folding control for it with dual support.... hmm

mc68k
Aug 14, 2002, 02:57 PM
welcome back charlie.....

how was the trip, how's the computer? etc.

Not bad. Thanks for the welcome, jimbo. Glad to be back in action. Probably the last family vacation I will go on. 9 days is enough for me. Ironically enough my "new" 9600/300 came the day I left, so it was taunting me from afar the whole time, beckoning me. But now we're together again, making music to the tune of 10.2. Gonna throw some U160 SCSI in there. Have had it up to here with EIDE cheap crap (controllers and drives included). Time to get some real hardware.
having a dual 800 i have yet to switch to fah3 and i guess i probably won't unless there's a folding control for it with dual support.... hmm Good idea. There's really not that much that's different AFAICT except for a few minor things. I liked being able to fiddle around with the innards at my liesure.

jelloshotsrule
Aug 14, 2002, 03:44 PM
Not bad. Thanks for the welcome, jimbo. Glad to be back in action. Probably the last family vacation I will go on. 9 days is enough for me. Ironically enough my "new" 9600/300 came the day I left, so it was taunting me from afar the whole time, beckoning me. But now we're together again, making music to the tune of 10.2. Gonna throw some U160 SCSI in there. Have had it up to here with EIDE cheap crap (controllers and drives included). Time to get some real hardware.

9 days is a long time for sure...

please explain the u160 scsi vs eide.... for me and any other non nerd... i'm sure there's at least one other on here.. ha.

word.

Rower_CPU
Aug 14, 2002, 03:47 PM

please explain the u160 scsi vs eide.... for me and any other non nerd... i'm sure there's at least one other on here.. ha.

word.

Sorry, you're the only one, it's not worth our time.:rolleyes:

jelloshotsrule
Aug 14, 2002, 04:05 PM
unlike you, row-nerd, mc68k's cool

and he'll teach me.

jackass

mc68k
Aug 14, 2002, 04:06 PM

word. Well, the big difference in the SCSI interface is that it is multithreaded. Meaning that it takes a load off the CPU and is well suited for multiple devices. EIDE is CPU intensive and only handles two devices per channel.

SCSI HDDs are fast and reliable, albeit expensive. IDE HDDs are cheap, slow and generally sh|tty.

The only reason IDE exists is because of mass distribution of computers. Apple was all over the SCSI scene for many years until they had to compete with the PC market. Then SCSI was a BTO option. Then the ultimate insult:Xserve is RAID EIDE. That's not a true server. No wonder there's status lights everywhere— it's full of EIDE drives waiting to throw bits into a black hole!

Summary: SCSI good. EIDE bad.

Rower_CPU
Aug 14, 2002, 04:09 PM
Well, the big difference in the SCSI interface is that it is multithreaded. Meaning that it takes a load off the CPU and is well suited for multiple devices. EIDE is CPU intensive and only handles two devices per channel.

SCSI HDDs are fast and reliable, albeit expensive. IDE HDDs are cheap, slow and generally sh|tty.

The only reason IDE exists is because of mass distribution of computers. Apple was all over the SCSI scene for many years until they had to compete with the PC market. Then SCSI was a BTO option. Then the ultimate insult:Xserve is RAID EIDE. That's not a true server. No wonder there's status lights everywhere— it's full of EIDE drives waiting to throw bits into a black hole!

Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!

Our precious secrets!!! You must not distribute them to the ignorant non-nerds!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

jelloshotsrule
Aug 14, 2002, 04:11 PM
scsi drives also are faster... at least they can be... right? ie, up to like 15000rpm and whatnot..?

just curious, what type of stuff are you doing that the hard drive speeds and whatnot will affect it that much?

i could see doing video and audio and all that...

and scsi drives generally aren't as big (obviously more money/gb, but also not as big in general, right?)

how much would it cost to set up a couple scsi drives with my dp 800?

teach me senor charles.

ps. told you so rower... no wonder i hate you

pgwalsh
Aug 14, 2002, 04:13 PM
and your opinion on firewire drives?

mc68k
Aug 14, 2002, 04:29 PM
scsi drives also are faster... at least they can be... right? ie, up to like 15000rpm and whatnot..?Yes, they come in 7200, 10K, and 15K speeds.

just curious, what type of stuff are you doing that the hard drive speeds and whatnot will affect it that much?
I want speed dammit.

i could see doing video and audio and all that...I mostly am interested in the access times being fast and the drives having a 5 year warranty. That means quality construction.

and scsi drives generally aren't as big (obviously more money/gb, but also not as big in general, right?)True, the ones that most people buy are 18 and 36 GB and cost a lot. But for mass storage, I have EIDE drives. I'm mostly interested in my OS being on the U160 drive.

how much would it cost to set up a couple scsi drives with my dp 800?
Retail 29160N card is ~300. Retail 18GB 15K Cheetah is ~215-270.
eBay prices are significantly cheaper. I would not buy new retail products. Go used to save $. The cards are more to worry about then the drives because of the 5 yr warranty. I would look for a shrink-wrapped box on the card.

I just bought a ATA/133 drive for my Acard 133 controller, but it had major problems. So if I can't have 133, I want 160. I've had to reformat my drive too many times. I'm at the point where if reliability means paying a little extra, then I'll pony up.

Beast, I want my machine to be a beast.

mc68k
Aug 14, 2002, 04:41 PM

and your opinion on firewire drives? FireWire is a serial PnP interface. It is good for cameras and quick PnP storage.

As for it being a high-end powerful interface, it isn't. The overhead of the PnP functionality increases with the more drives that you add. For HDDs, a powerful 7200 EIDE drive bottlenecks through the chipset and bandwith limitations inherent in the interface. For quick backup purposes, FiWi is a good solution. For amateur to prosumer video editing, it is a good solution.

For anything high bandwith, it's slow. The standard was prob invented in the mid 90's and the connector is 5 years old and running. It's time for something new.

USB— replacement of ADB and serial connectors
FiWi— replacement of external SCSI connector
IDE— replaced SCSI for cost reasons
SCSI— continues to be refined and fully backwards compatible

jelloshotsrule
Aug 14, 2002, 04:57 PM
so say i got a card and the drive.... i'd be able to boot from that external drive then i assume?

i had a scsi card with my old computer but got rid of it... just figured it was a thing of the past pretty much... hmm. ahh well

don't have the cash to do that type of upgrading now. but when i do, i'll check the specs on the end line for the rotary girder with you. thanks for the info

ps. that was a tommy boy reference. pay no attention

mc68k
Aug 14, 2002, 05:05 PM
so say i got a card and the drive.... i'd be able to boot from that external drive then i assume?SCSI at this point is all internal. Devices that used to be SCSI external are now FiWi.

i had a scsi card with my old computer but got rid of it... just figured it was a thing of the past pretty much... hmm. ahh wellFor most people it is. The card you threw away prob was a SCSI-1 or 2 which are pretty much useless now, save legacy comapt.

SCSI will be here for years to come as a rigid reliable standard. It is far from obsolete.

jelloshotsrule
Aug 14, 2002, 05:12 PM
SCSI at this point is all internal. Devices that used to be SCSI external are now FiWi.

so you have the scsi card in a pci slot? or is there some other place it goes? again, pardon my ignorance.

and you just get rid of the 'normal' internal drive(s) and use the scsi in its place eh?

mc68k
Aug 14, 2002, 05:19 PM
so you have the scsi card in a pci slot? or is there some other place it goes? again, pardon my ignorance.Yes, they have 32-bit and 64-bit wide PCI cards. They're compatible in a 66MHz PCI slot too.

and you just get rid of the 'normal' internal drive(s) and use the scsi in its place eh? Yes, or you can keep both. Your choice.