PDA

View Full Version : Macworld Boston 2004 - 'Strong'

MacRumors
Mar 9, 2004, 05:42 AM
MacWorld.co.uk reports (http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/top_news_item.cfm?NewsID=8114) that Macworld Expo Boston is "shaping up to be a very strong show" according to its organizer -- IDG World Expo.

Macworld Boston takes place between July 12-15 and replaces the Macworld New York summer expo.

Apple, however, has announced (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/10/20021017120834.shtml) that they will not be participating in the Boston expo.

GroundLoop
Mar 9, 2004, 05:50 AM
With Apple not there, I don't see how it will be all that "strong".

Hickman

DaveGee
Mar 9, 2004, 05:57 AM
Being from the NY area I wasn't exactly pleased to see MW leave us (had to add this disclaimer first)... but that being said.

Was MW leaving NY and going back to Boston the 'real' reason Apple pulled out of the Summer bash or was is just 'good luck' on Apples part and they just used it as the excuse?

What say you?

Dave

ITR 81
Mar 9, 2004, 06:15 AM
Being from the NY area I wasn't exactly pleased to see MW leave us (had to add this disclaimer first)... but that being said.

Was MW leaving NY and going back to Boston the 'real' reason Apple pulled out of the Summer bash or was is just 'good luck' on Apples part and they just used it as the excuse?

What say you?

Dave

It was because of NY. I remember not long ago they(Apple) said it was because Boston is not a big enough market for them.

The only reason Macworld is doing it in Boston is because it's cheaper for them..but I'm not sure if it's worth it when Apple won't even show up.

JDOG_
Mar 9, 2004, 06:30 AM
Maybe Steve & Co. are fearful to leave the mild climate of Northern California for the bitter cold of Beantown.

What is "strong" without one of Steve's keynotes?

Blegh...

New iPod Mini color is all I'm guessing. ..maybe glow in the dark or fuscia :rolleyes:

PerMalum3
Mar 9, 2004, 06:38 AM
With Apple not there, I don't see how it will be all that "strong".

Hickman

I agree.

If "the innovators" are not at the show, how can there be many exciting new 3rd-party products?

Unless Apple has something big up their sleeve planned for a release a while before Boston...

MacRAND
Mar 9, 2004, 06:42 AM
MacWorld.co.uk reports (\"http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/top_news_item.cfm?NewsID=8114\") that Macworld Expo Boston is \"shaping up to be a very strong show\" according to its organizer -- IDG World Expo.
Macworld Boston takes place between July 12-15 and replaces the Macworld New York summer expo.
Apple, however, has announced (\"http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/10/20021017120834.shtml\") that they will not be participating in the Boston expo.While I would fly clear across country from Arizona to attend the Boston Expo this year, I've never felt excited about going to NYC. Don't know why; don't dislike NYC, just not interested in going there. Maybe it's because we've already seen the Statue of Liberty, Times Square, and graffit on the subway walls a million times on TV; so what's the big deal. Now, Boston...it has authentic Clam Chowda - how can NYC beat that?

Apple, Steve, stop being so Chicken Shi...of the Sea about the move to Boston. Face reality, this is a great opportunity to show off your Apple wares--hard & soft!
[damn but I loved saying that, cool huh?]
Or, is Steve paid by the Keynote and he's tired of showing off in front of a huge crowd of people.
Yeah, and Narcissists don't wear turtle necks or drink water out of plastic bottles while performing on stage.

Come on Apple, Let's be BIG about This
http://www.macplus.org/magplus/img/home2/services3.jpg
You can Come Too,
the Door isn't Closed!
http://a772.g.akamai.net/7/772/51/aca9fbeb05665d/www.apple.com/macosx/features/unix/images/darwinopen100803.gif
We know it's over Money
http://a772.g.akamai.net/7/772/51/29215716470a6f/www.apple.com/itunes/store/images/index99cents04282003.gif
...and Pride.
Don't be such a Piggie
http://a772.g.akamai.net/7/772/51/9ae100a119b98a/www.apple.com/itunes/store/images/piggy_bank_10152003.jpg
Grow Up! Live the iLife
in
BOSTON!
July 2004

fixyourthinking
Mar 9, 2004, 06:56 AM
I agree.

If "the innovators" are not at the show, how can there be many exciting new 3rd-party products?

Unless Apple has something big up their sleeve planned for a release a while before Boston...

The coolest announcements (in my opinion) are usually always from 3rd parties. (Pismo upgrades, EyeTV, the HP "see thru" scanner, digital cameras, cell phones, firewire to SCSI converters, etc etc)

Apple would be non existent if they weren't supported.

The reason the expo pulled out of New York is because of cost. It's ridiculous. Not only does one have to pay for a booth, but they have to pay unionized workers to help set it up. You can't even use your OWN workers to haul stuff in. Booths managed to creep up about 15% a year for 4 years straight, by the then; MORE than doubling what it cost in 1997 - now it's almost triple. (Close to $4500 per 10 sq ft) - think of how much this costs Sonnet (g4 upgrades/etc) or Adobe: you actually have some of the New York Expo built into the PRICE of the products you buy.

I personally think Boston is MUCH better place - there is a HUGE presence of Macs there and it is much more accessible for ALL of the big cities in the region. It's also a heck of a lot cheaper. Besides isn't Kizmit (the PowerBook G3 AI robot) nearby at MIT.

summitwynds
Mar 9, 2004, 07:37 AM
I am looking forward to going to the Boston Expo since it is only an hour from me. I sure wish Apple was going to be there, but I will still go to check it all out.

alset
Mar 9, 2004, 07:43 AM
First MW I ever went to was in Boston, and I loved it. That said, I doubt this will be much of a show without the big cheese. Picture this: You're IDG and you need to bring vendors and users to your event... You aren't going to advertise that it's shaping up poorly, are you? I would hope not.

Dan

edit - changed IDM to IDG - guess I my mind was elsewhere

AirUncleP
Mar 9, 2004, 08:09 AM
Strong without Apple?

That's like saying a chocolate chip cookie is strong
when it doesn't have any chocolate chips.

fixyourthinking
Mar 9, 2004, 08:31 AM
Strong without Apple?

That's like saying a chocolate chip cookie is strong
when it doesn't have any chocolate chips.

That was a good analogy but the reply (even though it wasn't a question) is:

"You'd still eat the cookie, right?"

Many events are held without the "reason for the event" having a presence.

Example: Star Trek Conventions rarely have anyone beyond the B List actors. At the last Star Trek Convention (didn't go and never have been) they previewed the BattleStar Galactica miniseries for sci fi. (They got to see it a week before everyone else)

Point is:

MacWorld Expo is more of a social gathering and edutainment about Apple BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY where Apple is going and how well they are supported and WHY YOU TOO should support them. Apple doesn't have to be there for people to show how well the platform is supported.

peterjhill
Mar 9, 2004, 08:45 AM
Boston is nice, but it is not New York. If Macworld wants to save money by moving, don't expect everyone to make the change.

Apple does have a legitimate reason not to go to save money. They spend a ton of money at the shows, and now with all the Apple stores, they can get a ton more exposure by doing events and telecasting them to the stores and web.

Counterfit
Mar 9, 2004, 08:50 AM
Boston is nice, but it is not New York. THANK GOD!!! :D Maybe Steve & Co. are fearful to leave the mild climate of Northern California for the bitter cold of Beantown. Actually, at that time of year it would be: "The stifling humidity of Beantown"

ps: GO SOX! :D

Frobozz
Mar 9, 2004, 08:54 AM
MacWorld.co.uk reports (http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/top_news_item.cfm?NewsID=8114) that Macworld Expo Boston is "shaping up to be a very strong show" according to its organizer -- IDG World Expo.

LOL!

You mean that the promoter of a show is promoting the show? Dear god, why don't they give up the charade. No one is going to the show, including vendors. Once it left NYC people stopped caring.

... and one last note. GO BO-SOX!

Frobozz
Mar 9, 2004, 08:59 AM
Point is:

MacWorld Expo is more of a social gathering and edutainment about Apple BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY where Apple is going and how well they are supported and WHY YOU TOO should support them. Apple doesn't have to be there for people to show how well the platform is supported.

Do you believe that, or simply WANT to believe that? This is an Apple expo, and the high number of visitors and vendors is in direct relation to Apple releasing new products at the show. With that gone, the Expo becomes something different like what you speak of.

Change is fine, but IDG needs to stop pretending this is a MacWorld Expo of years past. Ignoring the lack of vendors and anemic ticket sales isn't going to work.

Frobozz
Mar 9, 2004, 09:09 AM
I personally think Boston is MUCH better place - there is a HUGE presence of Macs there and it is much more accessible for ALL of the big cities in the region. It's also a heck of a lot cheaper. Besides isn't Kizmit (the PowerBook G3 AI robot) nearby at MIT.

I agree with your reasoning. Boston is a great town. But it doesn't have any advantages over New York, except for cost. Now, that IS a big reason. Don't get me wrong. I think the Unions in NYC have their heads so far up their arse that they haven't figured out that a couple interns and a retarded monkey could set up a booth for free. Hell, you could pay the intern $15 an hour and still have it cost around 1/50th of Union work.

Do you know what it takes to get a light bulb changed in a union building in NYC? 2 Guys, a half hour of paid labor for BOTH guys, a ladder, and a lightbulb. No joke. If you try to change it yourself and a Union guy is walking past you get in trouble.

Photorun
Mar 9, 2004, 09:09 AM
Well at least Jack from AtAT (http://www.appleturns.com) will be happy.

jemeinc
Mar 9, 2004, 09:27 AM
"Do you know what it takes to get a light bulb changed in a union building in NYC? 2 Guys, a half hour of paid labor for BOTH guys, a ladder, and a lightbulb. No joke. If you try to change it yourself and a Union guy is walking past you get in trouble."

That's no joke... The unions have basically taken Philly out of consideration for any convention, or large scale event... Companies can't afford to come here... The companies aren't even allowed to set up their own displays, no matter how simple... It could be a matter of unfolding two tables, putting a fresh cloth on it & plugging in some lightsó doesn't matteró the union HAS to assemble your display station... Usually over the span of 2 days, with a full crew....

I hope NYC changes this before it has the same effect it had on conventions coming to Philly...

benpatient
Mar 9, 2004, 10:41 AM
OH NO!!!

now we won't get to see Steve Jobs droll on for 45 minutes about how great all the stuff is that has been released in the last year, and then stun us all with some new iPod mini colors: Cranberry, Taupe, and *gasp* Neon Orange!

He probably would have announced a new version of iSync, too....

oh the things that might have been, if only the convention had been willing to pay the millions of dollars to be in new york...

Rocketman
Mar 9, 2004, 10:48 AM

Apple, however, has announced (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/10/20021017120834.shtml) that they will not be participating in the Boston expo.

Wouldn't it be phunnie if Apple announced the PBG5 about the time of the expo despite not "attending"?

Rocketman

Rye Brye
Mar 9, 2004, 11:07 AM
I think Steve Jobs has a New York fetish. (Look at how he dresses...) MacWorld New York has sucked. The Javats convention center is insanely expensive for exhibitors - in order to plug a cable into a wall you have to pay a union guy to do it for you. So the booths are smaller, the free stuff is far less, and the excitement level is really subdued.

Some of this may be the change in economy, but I remember that the two I went to right after they moved to NY and before 9/11 were crap. Not much fun at all.

No offense to NY, but the city is a stinky overpopulated trash pit. Boston at least has class. And as far as the market being different - I beg to differ. New York you will get the New York users. Boston you'll actually get people to travel. I know MANY local professionals in Vermont and around New England who no longer go to MacWorld because it was in New York and - quite frankly - sucked. Now that it's going to be back in Boston, I'll probably fly in from UT just to go to it.

Screw you Apple. They can have a big show without you. You'll just look stupid for not going. (I remember one year they said they weren't going to the expo... I think it was in NY, but I'm not sure - and when I got there they had a booth... it was just a small booth)

Ryan

wdlove
Mar 9, 2004, 11:26 AM
I'm really looking forward to MacWorld Boston. It will be the first event to open the new convention center near the harbor. My hope is that Apple will still change its mind.

dongmin
Mar 9, 2004, 11:29 AM
Las Vegas

wdlove
Mar 9, 2004, 11:33 AM
Las VegasThree words!

No thank you!

Bear
Mar 9, 2004, 12:09 PM
Well, based on Macworld NY 2003, if Boston is not nay better than that in 2004, I'm not sure a 2005 would make sense.

The 2003 NY show in a word sucked.

a17inchFuture
Mar 9, 2004, 12:11 PM
While I would fly clear across country from Arizona to attend the Boston Expo this year, I've never felt excited about going to NYC. Don't know why; don't dislike NYC, just not interested in going there. Maybe it's because we've already seen the Statue of Liberty, Times Square, and graffit on the subway walls a million times on TV; so what's the big deal. Now, Boston...it has authentic Clam Chowda - how can NYC beat that?

Apple, Steve, stop being so Chicken Shi...of the Sea about the move to Boston. Face reality, this is a great opportunity to show off your Apple wares--hard & soft!
[damn but I loved saying that, cool huh?]
Or, is Steve paid by the Keynote and he's tired of showing off in front of a huge crowd of people.
Yeah, and Narcissists don't wear turtle necks or drink water out of plastic bottles while performing on stage.

Come on Apple, Let's be BIG about This
http://www.macplus.org/magplus/img/home2/services3.jpg
You can Come Too,
the Door isn't Closed!
http://a772.g.akamai.net/7/772/51/aca9fbeb05665d/www.apple.com/macosx/features/unix/images/darwinopen100803.gif
We know it's over Money
http://a772.g.akamai.net/7/772/51/29215716470a6f/www.apple.com/itunes/store/images/index99cents04282003.gif
...and Pride.
Don't be such a Piggie
http://a772.g.akamai.net/7/772/51/9ae100a119b98a/www.apple.com/itunes/store/images/piggy_bank_10152003.jpg
Grow Up! Live the iLife
in
BOSTON!
July 2004

Wow dude, are you a cheerleader in your spare time?

gopher
Mar 9, 2004, 12:17 PM
Las Vegas

Well I don't see why they don't pick Washington DC? If Apple wants an inroad with the Federal Government and corporations, what better place to show than DC?

Sonofhaig
Mar 9, 2004, 12:46 PM
Actually, would Apple have anything to show even if they did go to Boston?
Besides Mini ipods? Boy do things seem kinda slow lately.

(Off Topic) Why hasn't the poll changed? When news is this slow, at least I like to do the poll....

kerryb
Mar 9, 2004, 01:44 PM
Maybe Steve & Co. are fearful to leave the mild climate of Northern California for the bitter cold of Beantown.

What is "strong" without one of Steve's keynotes?

Blegh...

New iPod Mini color is all I'm guessing. ..maybe glow in the dark or fuscia :rolleyes:

Dude have you ever been to Boston in July? It is in the northern hemisphere and has summer about that time, hot and sticky.

Frobozz
Mar 9, 2004, 01:57 PM
No offense to NY, but the city is a stinky overpopulated trash pit.

Yeah, how could we possibly take offense to that?

Look, there are two types of people in this world-- those that like cities and their social micro-climates, or those who do not. New York is an amazing place with a social scene that is unparalleled anywhere in the world. I run into models, actors, billionaires, and high powered contacts daily. I may not be a big player in "the game" but people are in New York to be a part of the game. That's what Jobs wants. New York is the crown jewel, like it or not. The majority of this nation's power and wealth is weilded in a couple square miles. Again, I'm not validating or refuting anyone's reaction or person preference to this-- but it's the truth.

I'm not going to argue with you about Boston vs. New York. I'm a New York (Manhattan) native who grew up in Upstate New York hunting, fishing, being outdoors, and in a different community altogether. I know what you're thinking about New York because I used to think it, too. Believe me... no one from Central new York _loves_ the city. :-) And I like the Boston Red Sox-- they're my favorite ball team. And you know what? I can take a 15 minute train ride to Yankee Staidium and secretly revel in a Yankees loss to the Bo-Sox on a half hour notice.

It ain't for everyone... but it's where stuff happens. That's why Jobs wants to be there.

Frobozz
Mar 9, 2004, 02:02 PM
Dude have you ever been to Boston in July? It is in the northern hemisphere and has summer about that time, hot and sticky.

LOL. I'm always suprised at how little people from opposite coasts know about each other's climates.

To back you up... Boston and New York are equally hot and sticky in July. In fact, I dare say it's dangerous for people with a heart condition to take the subway from late June to early September. It gets to 115 degrees in the subway and that's NOT with the humidity. Summer can be either beatiful or nasty in "the city." Some have pointed this out in previous posts. The only reprise you get from the humidity is by being near the edge of the island where you can pick up some breeze. Javitz isn't so bad because of that.

Macmaniac
Mar 9, 2004, 02:22 PM
The last few NY shows I went to were pretty dull, the Cube came out one year, the 17in iMac, and MWCE had nothing new or cool. The NY expo has become a disappointment fest, nothing cool or new comes out. I wish Apple would update more often, this is why we lose our market share. I mean a 1ghz G4 iMac for $1500? Thats a slap in the face.

rikers_mailbox
Mar 9, 2004, 02:51 PM
Macworld Expo Boston is "shaping up to be a very strong show" according to its organizer -- IDG World Expo.

Ummm, well, duh. Of course they say it's 'stong'. Do you honestly think they'd say "this year's expo is going to suck"?? It's like asking a used car salesman the condition of a car. . . there's only one answer he gives.

-rik

MacRAND
Mar 9, 2004, 04:04 PM
Yeah, how could we possibly take offense to that?
Look, there are two types of people in this world-- those that like cities and their social micro-climates, or those who do not. ...It ain't for everyone... but it's where stuff happens. That's why Jobs wants to be there.You have the dichotomy down right, except it's more specific:
Those who like New York City, and
Those who do not.

You live there, you gotta love it. NYC is energetic, interesting and even important. It's also expensive, overwhelming and rude. I understand working and living there. But, given the choice, why visit? Hey, I've also been to Little Rock, Arkansas, Juarez, Mexico, and Olongapo, Philippines, and don't want to go back there either.
There are 10,000 other places on this planet many of us would rather visit in person than NYC. Last summer I had the chance, but opted to enjoy the beach at Ocean City, NJ. Probably missed the experience of a lifetime, but I doubt it.
(I do like to see NYC on TV and in the movies, it's got character. If you see a TV or video camera, smile and wave - and when I see you in a video or movie, know that I will be waving back).

Boston does happen to be one of those cities at the top of my TO SEE LIST, along with Hong Kong, China, and Sasebo, Japan.

Sorry, no offense intended. :rolleyes: Really!

rotorblade
Mar 9, 2004, 04:43 PM
I'm going to MWB. I never spend more than 10 to 15 minutes in Apple's booth anyway, so I'll hardly miss them. I spend the majority of my time checking out the various offerings from vendors I might not otherwise see elsewhere. While I used to go to the keynote, the east coast keynotes have been dismal at best the past several years. Just as Apple claims they're saving money by not going to the expo, I'm saving money by not being tempted to attend the keynote. Works for Apple. Works for me.

IDG - - - - bring it on!

FuzzyBallz
Mar 9, 2004, 05:54 PM
What's the point of Macworld when there's no Apple giant stage in the center?

MacRAND
Mar 9, 2004, 06:23 PM
What's the point of Macworld when there's no Apple giant stage in the center?Well, according to Apple, there are some 23,000 reasons...
http://guide.apple.com/usgraphics/index_title_us.gif
...and I like a whole bunch of them. If I want to see Apple stuff, I can pick between 2 Apple Stores (Phoenix & Chandler) a couple of MacMedia stores, and 2 Fry's Electronics. But none of these stores will display the tons and tons of wares, soft & hard, that can be found at Macworld shows in Boston & San Francisco.

But, then I've see pictures of the H U G E San Francisco and Tokyo Apple Stores, but I've yet to see them in person.

usarioclave
Mar 9, 2004, 06:35 PM
Boston at least has class.

After living in Boston a few years, it's more accurate to say "Boston has a veneer of class". People in Boston can be just a venal as ones anywhere else...they just cover it up better by affecting a genteel appearance.

rdowns
Mar 9, 2004, 07:57 PM
THANK GOD!!! :D Actually, at that time of year it would be: "The stifling humidity of Beantown"

ps: GO SOX! :D

2 words, Alex Rodriguez!

MacRAND
Mar 9, 2004, 08:00 PM
After living in Boston a few years, it's more accurate to say "Boston has a veneer of class". People in Boston can be just a venal as ones anywhere else...they just cover it up better by affecting a genteel appearance.Damn, I didn't know y'all was from the South.
I thought Boston was Yankee country, north of the Mason-Dixon line.
Sure sounds all American to me, sport.

But there's a couple of things that Boston has that are never quite equaled anywhere else. Boston baked beans (including the candy covered peanuts [from Georgia, I'm sure] by the same name), them Celtics and the Byrd man, the Sox of course, and the incomparable Boston Pops. Best put-on for class I ever saw, and that's a fact. But if you put on enough class, some of it just might stick...like it does in Atlanta and Austin, Tulsa and San Diego, Seattle and Lincoln, shucks - all over this here fine country. Even them Cajun devils down in N'Orleans got class, especially them Ladies. No better Jazz no where, not ever. Ya' here?
Shucks, I do believe that New Yorkers even got class if ya gives 'em half a chance. Matter of fact, we all saw a lot of class amongst 'em back on 9/11, never forget that. :( No, sir. Never. :)

Ye'sir, Boston is a good place for an Apple meetin' come July.
See y'all there! And, bring a smile. ;) A bigger smile :D That's it.

Counterfit
Mar 9, 2004, 10:26 PM
2 words, Alex Rodriguez! Oh c'mon, they stuck him at third base just to avoid hurting Jeter's feelings. I mean really, A-Rod is the better shortstop, (Nomah is too, but that's another story :D) so wouldn't it make sense to have him at SS and Jeter at third? Besides, money doesn't buy World Series rings, good pitching does, and it seems like the Yanks have lost quite a bit of their pitching this off season.

And I too could go to a Sox game on short notice, about 90 minutes (At home I'm about an hour out by train or car) or 20 minutes (walking time from my dorm to Fenway.) the only problem is finding a ticket I could afford.

MacRAND: It's Bird ;) And yes, Nawlans has some mighty fine jazz, being the home of Louis and all... :)

rdowns
Mar 10, 2004, 05:26 AM
Oh c'mon, they stuck him at third base just to avoid hurting Jeter's feelings. I mean really, A-Rod is the better shortstop, (Nomah is too, but that's another story :D) so wouldn't it make sense to have him at SS and Jeter at third? Besides, money doesn't buy World Series rings, good pitching does, and it seems like the Yanks have lost quite a bit of their pitching this off season.

And I too could go to a Sox game on short notice, about 90 minutes (At home I'm about an hour out by train or car) or 20 minutes (walking time from my dorm to Fenway.) the only problem is finding a ticket I could afford.

MacRAND: It's Bird ;) And yes, Nawlans has some mighty fine jazz, being the home of Louis and all... :)

Ah, who cares? Just like razzing Sox fans. Besides, I'm a Met fan which, to try and make this on topic, is like being a Mac fan, always waiting. As a Sox fan, you know what that's like.

Oh yeah, Bill Buckner. :D

Savage Henry
Mar 10, 2004, 06:27 AM
Looking through my local newspaper, the venue for Macworld 2005 has already been reserved. Among the many benefits cited by the Macworld organisers for choosing Bramley Village Hall (http://www.waverley.gov.uk/villagehalls/index.asp#5) were:

reasonable number of parking spaces
modern kitchen and cloakroom facilities
no issues with festival unions
the main hall can seat up to 130 people!

Who needs New York when a small village outside Guildford in the UK can provide them with all this! ;)

bar italia
Mar 10, 2004, 08:34 AM
Damn, I didn't know y'all was from the South.
I thought Boston was Yankee country, north of the Mason-Dixon line.
Sure sounds all American to me, sport.

But there's a couple of things that Boston has that are never quite equaled anywhere else. Boston baked beans (including the candy covered peanuts [from Georgia, I'm sure] by the same name), them Celtics and the Byrd man, the Sox of course, and the incomparable Boston Pops. Best put-on for class I ever saw, and that's a fact. But if you put on enough class, some of it just might stick...like it does in Atlanta and Austin, Tulsa and San Diego, Seattle and Lincoln, shucks - all over this here fine country. Even them Cajun devils down in N'Orleans got class, especially them Ladies. No better Jazz no where, not ever. Ya' here?
Shucks, I do believe that New Yorkers even got class if ya gives 'em half a chance. Matter of fact, we all saw a lot of class amongst 'em back on 9/11, never forget that. :( No, sir. Never. :)

Ye'sir, Boston is a good place for an Apple meetin' come July.
See y'all there! And, bring a smile. ;) A bigger smile :D That's it.

Please stop. Your post are starting to creep me out.

uzombie
Mar 10, 2004, 09:09 AM
What's the point of Macworld when there's no Apple giant stage in the center?

Yeah, I agree. What's the Big Apple without Apple.

I'd say they forgot the word smell after strong. Boston is NOT the city that never sleeps. NYC has central transportation, where the "tunnel" project and traffic congestion to get into Boston (for us drivers) if farther than I'd like.

Face it, Apple should just merge in to the PC Expo and keep it coastal. But after you look at the costs of Seybold, PC Expo, Internetworld, ComDex, NAB, MWSF, DRUPA, Photoshopworld, FOSE, BioIT, MySQL Expo, WWDC...and international shows...why bother. And will Boston's new convention center not have union fees? Now, if Apple bought up the Javits...

I'd rather fly out to MWSF than go up to Boston. (Ya snobs!)

:D

Counterfit
Mar 10, 2004, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I agree. What's the Big Apple without Apple.

I'd say they forgot the word smell after strong. Boston is NOT the city that never sleeps. NYC has central transportation, where the "tunnel" project and traffic congestion to get into Boston (for us drivers) if farther than I'd like. www.mbta.com

chriscorcoran
Mar 10, 2004, 05:33 PM
Ok I am going to come out right and say it, I am pissed Apple isnt coming to Boston. Altough I am bias, I am from Massachuttess. I really wanted Apple to come Boston. I was in New York for the 1998 MacWorld (the one were the orginal iMac was introduced). But I was unable to attend and I really really wanted to go!

I was hoping Apple would reconsider and come back to its birthplace. I understand that Apple is fond of having MacWorld in New York but Boston is its true home and there is something to be said for coming home every once and a while...

PLEASE STEVE COME TO BOSTON FOR THE SUMMER!!!

chriscorcoran
Mar 10, 2004, 05:35 PM
Lets not forget the Big Dig is finished. Boston is stream lined. We have one the leading public transportation systems in the country.

gopher
Mar 10, 2004, 09:29 PM
Ok I am going to come out right and say it, I am pissed Apple isnt coming to Boston. Altough I am bias, I am from Massachuttess. I really wanted Apple to come Boston. I was in New York for the 1998 MacWorld (the one were the orginal iMac was introduced). But I was unable to attend and I really really wanted to go!

I was hoping Apple would reconsider and come back to its birthplace. I understand that Apple is fond of having MacWorld in New York but Boston is its true home and there is something to be said for coming home every once and a while...

Birthplace? Apple was founded by Steve Jobs and Wozniak in Palo Alto:

http://www.landsnail.com/apple/local/evolution/timeline.html

As for your outburst requesting Apple come to Boston this summer, you are directing it to the wrong board. Apple does have a direct feedback for marketing and product comments site here:

http://www.apple.com/contact/feedback.html

wdlove
Mar 11, 2004, 10:55 AM
Ok I am going to come out right and say it, I am pissed Apple isnt coming to Boston. Although I am bias, I am from Massachusetts. I really wanted Apple to come Boston. I was in New York for the 1998 MacWorld (the one were the original iMac was introduced). But I was unable to attend and I really really wanted to go!

I'm still having hope that Steve Jobs will change his mind and attend MacWorld Boston. I wonder if he realizes that transformation in Boston now the the Big Dig is almost completed. The elevated artery should be gone by then.

jsw
Mar 16, 2004, 11:18 PM
Strong SMELL from the "hawbor"...

Ah, I can tell you're not from the Boston area. Clearly, it's pronounced "hawbah". Any 'r' following a vowel is pronounced like a 'w' or 'h', as in "I'm driving my cah up to Bah Hawbah Maine to eat some lobstah."

jsw
Mar 16, 2004, 11:25 PM
I live in the Boston area now, but I'm no native. It's not a bad town, but I won't harp on how great it is, since, even living 20 miles away, I rarely drive into it. NY is both much better and much worse than Boston, depending on what you tend to like in a city. I like it, many don't.

Regardless, however, I just think it's a shame Apple won't have a presence at Macworld, no matter where it's held (NY, Boston, Peoria). I don't think we need to spend too much time debating on which is the better city for a convention. I think what's sad is that Apple can't even put up a booth at a Macworld convention. I can't help but think it's better for Apple to have a presence than to not have one.

Counterfit
Mar 17, 2004, 12:18 AM
Ah, I can tell you're not from the Boston area. Clearly, it's pronounced "hawbah". Any 'r' following a vowel is pronounced like a 'w' or 'h', as in "I'm driving my cah up to Bah Hawbah Maine to eat some lobstah." Pff, we all know the best lahbstah is in Ro Dylin'! :D

wdlove
Mar 17, 2004, 01:44 PM
I also think that we shouldn't discuss which is the better city. That both have their good points. I happen to enjoy the smell of the harbor. I live about 8 miles inland and often get to enjoy the ocean breeze and smell.

I have heard from others that think that in the end Apple and Steve will be in Boston this July. It would just not be good business to ignore such a large customer base.

Counterfit
Mar 17, 2004, 08:24 PM
I also think that we shouldn't discuss which is the better city. Im just engaging in some friendly banter :) That both have their good points. I happen to enjoy the smell of the harbor. I live about 8 miles inland and often get to enjoy the ocean breeze and smell. But they both have "hawbahs" :confused:

I have heard from others that think that in the end Apple and Steve will be in Boston this July. It would just not be good business to ignore such a large customer base. I hope they come. I almost got to see Phil Schiller speak about "Innovation at Apple" at MIT in November, but my class schedule got in the way. Then I thought "What could he talk about that I probably don't already know?"

wdlove
Mar 20, 2004, 11:40 AM
Im just engaging in some friendly banter :) But they both have "hawbahs" :confused:

I hope they come. I almost got to see Phil Schiller speak about "Innovation at Apple" at MIT in November, but my class schedule got in the way. Then I thought "What could he talk about that I probably don't already know?"

Counterfit did you receive an invitation to attend the Apple event at Harvard on Tuesday Apple 20th. If so do you plan to register and attend?

I registered last evening. Will have to wait for a return E.Mail to see if I'm accepted.

Counterfit
Mar 20, 2004, 08:40 PM
Counterfit did you receive an invitation to attend the Apple event at Harvard on Tuesday Apple 20th. If so do you plan to register and attend?

I registered last evening. Will have to wait for a return E.Mail to see if I'm accepted.Not yet, if it's coming. What's it about?

asif3
Mar 21, 2004, 02:58 AM
I live in the Boston area now, but I'm no native. It's not a bad town, but I won't harp on how great it is, since, even living 20 miles away, I rarely drive into it. NY is both much better and much worse than Boston, depending on what you tend to like in a city. I like it, many don't.

Regardless, however, I just think it's a shame Apple won't have a presence at Macworld, no matter where it's held (NY, Boston, Peoria). I don't think we need to spend too much time debating on which is the better city for a convention. I think what's sad is that Apple can't even put up a booth at a Macworld convention. I can't help but think it's better for Apple to have a presence than to not have one.

Apple in a booth? Over me dead body!

We all know what when Apple goes to town, they do it properly. Huge banners, big promo's, etc. I think it's all or nothing, they wont put a half-hearted apperance in cos it wont do much for their brand image.

wdlove
Mar 21, 2004, 12:38 PM
Not yet, if it's coming. What's it about?

TECH TALK CONTENT
------------------------------

During the Tech Talk, Apple technology evangelists will explore the
powerful technologies designed to take the Macintosh platform
through the next decade.

Agenda topics will include:

- Mac OS X Panther Technology Update:
A walk-through of the modular system architecture of Mac OS X,
explaining the latest developments in each of the major
component layers in the OS. The focus of this presentation is on
porting existing code to Mac OS X.

- The Power Mac G5 in Depth:
A discussion of the new Power Mac G5, focusing on technical
specifications, the PowerPC G5 architecture, and optimization
techniques for achieving maximum performance.

- Xcode Tools Overview:
A walk-through of the Xcode IDE and Apple's suite of robust
performance tools that ship with every Power Mac G5.

DATE AND LOCATION
Mac OS X and the Power Mac G5 Tech Talk
Cambridge, MA

Tuesday, April 20, 2004
5:30pm Registration
6:00pm-9:00pm Presentations

Harvard University Science Center
Lecture Hall A, 1 Oxford Street
Cambridge, MA.

Counterfit
Mar 21, 2004, 11:36 PM
Tuesday, April 20, 2004
5:30pm Registration
6:00pm-9:00pm Presentations

Harvard University Science Center
Lecture Hall A, 1 Oxford Street
Cambridge, MA. Well, I'd have to skip physics. And it's the week before exams. Guess I'll be a no-show :(

jazzmfk
Mar 22, 2004, 10:30 AM
(quote:)Do you know what it takes to get a light bulb changed in a union building in NYC? 2 Guys, a half hour of paid labor for BOTH guys, a ladder, and a lightbulb. No joke. If you try to change it yourself and a Union guy is walking past you get in trouble.

True story: My jazz band was asked to play for "the Today Show" in NYC. We were almost done setting up outside on the sidewalk (at some ungodly hour of the morning....) when the electric bass player was told that he couldn't plug his amplifier into the electrical outlet at his feet - he had to wait for an "electrical technician" to do it for him. The manager actually stood over the outlet to be sure we waited for the technician. What a joke.

MFK

themadchemist
Mar 22, 2004, 12:06 PM
I think Apple maybe just prefers to release its products at different expos and its big fuss over Boston was just an excuse to move toward WWDC and Seybold more. That way, it can appeal more to developers and IT people, the ones who will be essential for its invasion into the business market.

But who knows?! :confused:

kphinney
Mar 22, 2004, 12:17 PM
The Big Cheese not showing in Boston? No big deal, heck most of us expected that when we heard that MW was coming back.
After all, we still have the Linux Expo to look forward to -- and I'm sure there will be plenty of New Ideas then.

budgetconscious
Mar 25, 2004, 03:23 PM
It was because of NY. I remember not long ago they(Apple) said it was because Boston is not a big enough market for them.

The only reason Macworld is doing it in Boston is because it's cheaper for them..but I'm not sure if it's worth it when Apple won't even show up.

I don't know that I have a viable opinion, but I would have to disagree that Boston does not have a strong market for Apple. It's a creative nest-egg, and hosts over 40 colleges and universities within a 15-20 mile radius. With Starbucks on every corner and Wireless at the Libraries you get to see what choice people make and my guess is Apple has a 60/40 share of Acedemia in Boston. (okay, maybe a little ambitios)
So, I guess what I'm wondering... Is Apple backing out because they've already gained victory in Boston, making it foolish to invest all the money to come?
All speculation. When it comes down to it, the MacWorld expo is national publicity no matter where it's held. I tend to sway toward thinking the move is an excuse. But we shouldn't fault our friends at Apple too much, they have had a busy year. NYSE.com (aapl), the story is in the numbers.
Which leads to another question, what will those numbers look like after a no show in Boston? Which leads to yet another question, does not showing up minimize the damage they would otherwise incure if they show up without any major advancements?
But again, should we worry? It is only a matter of time before the introduction of the PowerBook G5, a product that seems to have Apple up against the wall to come up with some revalutionary solutions. And those solutions will happen.

Urdam
Apr 11, 2004, 03:49 PM
Good to hear