Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Being from the NY area I wasn't exactly pleased to see MW leave us (had to add this disclaimer first)... but that being said.

Was MW leaving NY and going back to Boston the 'real' reason Apple pulled out of the Summer bash or was is just 'good luck' on Apples part and they just used it as the excuse?

What say you?

Dave

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
DaveGee said:
Being from the NY area I wasn't exactly pleased to see MW leave us (had to add this disclaimer first)... but that being said.

Was MW leaving NY and going back to Boston the 'real' reason Apple pulled out of the Summer bash or was is just 'good luck' on Apples part and they just used it as the excuse?

What say you?

Dave

It was because of NY. I remember not long ago they(Apple) said it was because Boston is not a big enough market for them.

The only reason Macworld is doing it in Boston is because it's cheaper for them..but I'm not sure if it's worth it when Apple won't even show up.

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
Must be the cold...

Maybe Steve & Co. are fearful to leave the mild climate of Northern California for the bitter cold of Beantown.

What is "strong" without one of Steve's keynotes?

Blegh...

New iPod Mini color is all I'm guessing. ..maybe glow in the dark or fuscia :rolleyes:

PerMalum3

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2003
Brian Hickman said:
With Apple not there, I don't see how it will be all that "strong".

Hickman

I agree.

If "the innovators" are not at the show, how can there be many exciting new 3rd-party products?

Unless Apple has something big up their sleeve planned for a release a while before Boston...

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
Macrumors said:
MacWorld.co.uk reports that Macworld Expo Boston is \"shaping up to be a very strong show\" according to its organizer -- IDG World Expo.
Macworld Boston takes place between July 12-15 and replaces the Macworld New York summer expo.
Apple, however, has announced that they will not be participating in the Boston expo.
While I would fly clear across country from Arizona to attend the Boston Expo this year, I've never felt excited about going to NYC. Don't know why; don't dislike NYC, just not interested in going there. Maybe it's because we've already seen the Statue of Liberty, Times Square, and graffit on the subway walls a million times on TV; so what's the big deal. Now, Boston...it has authentic Clam Chowda - how can NYC beat that?

Apple, Steve, stop being so Chicken Shi...of the Sea about the move to Boston. Face reality, this is a great opportunity to show off your Apple wares--hard & soft!

[damn but I loved saying that, cool huh?]​
Or, is Steve paid by the Keynote and he's tired of showing off in front of a huge crowd of people.
Yeah, and Narcissists don't wear turtle necks or drink water out of plastic bottles while performing on stage.

Come on Apple, Let's be BIG about This
services3.jpg

You can Come Too,
the Door isn't Closed!
darwinopen100803.gif

We know it's over Money
index99cents04282003.gif

...and Pride.
Don't be such a Piggie
piggy_bank_10152003.jpg

Grow Up! Live the iLife
in
BOSTON!
July 2004

fixyourthinking

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Greenville SC
Apple is not just Apple Computer

PerMalum3 said:
I agree.

If "the innovators" are not at the show, how can there be many exciting new 3rd-party products?

Unless Apple has something big up their sleeve planned for a release a while before Boston...

The coolest announcements (in my opinion) are usually always from 3rd parties. (Pismo upgrades, EyeTV, the HP "see thru" scanner, digital cameras, cell phones, firewire to SCSI converters, etc etc)

Apple would be non existent if they weren't supported.

The reason the expo pulled out of New York is because of cost. It's ridiculous. Not only does one have to pay for a booth, but they have to pay unionized workers to help set it up. You can't even use your OWN workers to haul stuff in. Booths managed to creep up about 15% a year for 4 years straight, by the then; MORE than doubling what it cost in 1997 - now it's almost triple. (Close to $4500 per 10 sq ft) - think of how much this costs Sonnet (g4 upgrades/etc) or Adobe: you actually have some of the New York Expo built into the PRICE of the products you buy.

I personally think Boston is MUCH better place - there is a HUGE presence of Macs there and it is much more accessible for ALL of the big cities in the region. It's also a heck of a lot cheaper. Besides isn't Kizmit (the PowerBook G3 AI robot) nearby at MIT.

summitwynds

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2004
MA
I am looking forward to going to the Boston Expo since it is only an hour from me. I sure wish Apple was going to be there, but I will still go to check it all out.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
First MW I ever went to was in Boston, and I loved it. That said, I doubt this will be much of a show without the big cheese. Picture this: You're IDG and you need to bring vendors and users to your event... You aren't going to advertise that it's shaping up poorly, are you? I would hope not.

Dan

edit - changed IDM to IDG - guess I my mind was elsewhere

AirUncleP

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2002
USA
Cookie Monster

Strong without Apple?

That's like saying a chocolate chip cookie is strong
when it doesn't have any chocolate chips.

fixyourthinking

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Greenville SC
Good analogy but the reply is

AirUncleP said:
Strong without Apple?

That's like saying a chocolate chip cookie is strong
when it doesn't have any chocolate chips.

That was a good analogy but the reply (even though it wasn't a question) is:

"You'd still eat the cookie, right?"

Many events are held without the "reason for the event" having a presence.

Example: Star Trek Conventions rarely have anyone beyond the B List actors. At the last Star Trek Convention (didn't go and never have been) they previewed the BattleStar Galactica miniseries for sci fi. (They got to see it a week before everyone else)

Point is:

MacWorld Expo is more of a social gathering and edutainment about Apple BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY where Apple is going and how well they are supported and WHY YOU TOO should support them. Apple doesn't have to be there for people to show how well the platform is supported.

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Boston is nice, but it is not New York. If Macworld wants to save money by moving, don't expect everyone to make the change.

Apple does have a legitimate reason not to go to save money. They spend a ton of money at the shows, and now with all the Apple stores, they can get a ton more exposure by doing events and telecasting them to the stores and web.

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
Macrumors said:
MacWorld.co.uk reports that Macworld Expo Boston is "shaping up to be a very strong show" according to its organizer -- IDG World Expo.

LOL!

You mean that the promoter of a show is promoting the show? Dear god, why don't they give up the charade. No one is going to the show, including vendors. Once it left NYC people stopped caring.

... and one last note. GO BO-SOX!

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
adzoox said:
Point is:

MacWorld Expo is more of a social gathering and edutainment about Apple BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY where Apple is going and how well they are supported and WHY YOU TOO should support them. Apple doesn't have to be there for people to show how well the platform is supported.

Do you believe that, or simply WANT to believe that? This is an Apple expo, and the high number of visitors and vendors is in direct relation to Apple releasing new products at the show. With that gone, the Expo becomes something different like what you speak of.

Change is fine, but IDG needs to stop pretending this is a MacWorld Expo of years past. Ignoring the lack of vendors and anemic ticket sales isn't going to work.

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
adzoox said:
I personally think Boston is MUCH better place - there is a HUGE presence of Macs there and it is much more accessible for ALL of the big cities in the region. It's also a heck of a lot cheaper. Besides isn't Kizmit (the PowerBook G3 AI robot) nearby at MIT.

I agree with your reasoning. Boston is a great town. But it doesn't have any advantages over New York, except for cost. Now, that IS a big reason. Don't get me wrong. I think the Unions in NYC have their heads so far up their arse that they haven't figured out that a couple interns and a retarded monkey could set up a booth for free. Hell, you could pay the intern $15 an hour and still have it cost around 1/50th of Union work.

Do you know what it takes to get a light bulb changed in a union building in NYC? 2 Guys, a half hour of paid labor for BOTH guys, a ladder, and a lightbulb. No joke. If you try to change it yourself and a Union guy is walking past you get in trouble.

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
South Jersey
"Do you know what it takes to get a light bulb changed in a union building in NYC? 2 Guys, a half hour of paid labor for BOTH guys, a ladder, and a lightbulb. No joke. If you try to change it yourself and a Union guy is walking past you get in trouble."

That's no joke... The unions have basically taken Philly out of consideration for any convention, or large scale event... Companies can't afford to come here... The companies aren't even allowed to set up their own displays, no matter how simple... It could be a matter of unfolding two tables, putting a fresh cloth on it & plugging in some lights— doesn't matter— the union HAS to assemble your display station... Usually over the span of 2 days, with a full crew....

I hope NYC changes this before it has the same effect it had on conventions coming to Philly...

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
OH NO!!!

now we won't get to see Steve Jobs droll on for 45 minutes about how great all the stuff is that has been released in the last year, and then stun us all with some new iPod mini colors: Cranberry, Taupe, and *gasp* Neon Orange!

He probably would have announced a new version of iSync, too....

oh the things that might have been, if only the convention had been willing to pay the millions of dollars to be in new york...

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Macrumors said:
MacWorld.co.uk reports that Macworld Expo Boston is "shaping up to be a very strong show" according to its organizer -- IDG World Expo.

Macworld Boston takes place between July 12-15 and replaces the Macworld New York summer expo.

Apple, however, has announced that they will not be participating in the Boston expo.

Wouldn't it be phunnie if Apple announced the PBG5 about the time of the expo despite not "attending"?

Rocketman

Rye Brye

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2003
Utah
MWNY sucked, MWBoston Rules

I think Steve Jobs has a New York fetish. (Look at how he dresses...) MacWorld New York has sucked. The Javats convention center is insanely expensive for exhibitors - in order to plug a cable into a wall you have to pay a union guy to do it for you. So the booths are smaller, the free stuff is far less, and the excitement level is really subdued.

Some of this may be the change in economy, but I remember that the two I went to right after they moved to NY and before 9/11 were crap. Not much fun at all.

No offense to NY, but the city is a stinky overpopulated trash pit. Boston at least has class. And as far as the market being different - I beg to differ. New York you will get the New York users. Boston you'll actually get people to travel. I know MANY local professionals in Vermont and around New England who no longer go to MacWorld because it was in New York and - quite frankly - sucked. Now that it's going to be back in Boston, I'll probably fly in from UT just to go to it.

Screw you Apple. They can have a big show without you. You'll just look stupid for not going. (I remember one year they said they weren't going to the expo... I think it was in NY, but I'm not sure - and when I got there they had a booth... it was just a small booth)

Ryan

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I'm really looking forward to MacWorld Boston. It will be the first event to open the new convention center near the harbor. My hope is that Apple will still change its mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.