PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS X 10.3.3 7F40 Seeded

MacRumors
Mar 10, 2004, 09:55 AM
Apple continues to seed newer builds of Mac OS X. The most recent build 10.3.3 7F40 was seeded last night with no known issues, according to MacNews.net.tc (http://macintosh.fryke.com/cgi-bin/macnews.cgi/2004/03/10#20040310_7f40_shortreport) -- who expects a final release "any day now".

Areas of major change include Core OS, Carbon, Cocoa, Graphics and Imaging, High Level ToolBox, Printing, and USB.

ImAlwaysRight
Mar 10, 2004, 09:56 AM
cool! keep 'em coming!

Ambrose Chapel
Mar 10, 2004, 09:57 AM
Hopefully this extensive pre-release work will stamp out any drive-erasing, startup-stopping, kernal panic-inducing bugs!

Mudbug
Mar 10, 2004, 09:58 AM
Neato!

what's a High Level ToolBox?

Photorun
Mar 10, 2004, 10:05 AM
Hmmm, close to final build and those new G5 rumors.... hmmm.

caveman_uk
Mar 10, 2004, 10:06 AM
Neato!

what's a High Level ToolBox?
It's on the top shelf of the racking...don't put heavy stuff in it as it could fall on your head.

Seriously, I'm glad they seem to be testing this update better than they seem to have before. Maybe we'll have less of the 'The update hosed my system' posts this time? No doubt someone will blame it for making their screen brighter, sound clearer, boot-up longer, safari icon bounce one time more, car breakdown, relationship breakup etc etc...

Wonder Boy
Mar 10, 2004, 10:10 AM
finally a new headline. its been ~26 hours since the last one.

nuclearwinter
Mar 10, 2004, 10:12 AM
this better fix networking. Dave 4.1.1 has been acting really funny lately and so has just the normal netorking. I work with PC's all the time and i need this feature to work smoothly.

Savage Henry
Mar 10, 2004, 10:17 AM
Hmmm, close to final build and those new G5 rumors.... hmmm.

These clues are beginning to piece together like an old episode of Columbo.

I reckons that some time in either the near, or distant future, they may, or may not, release some software upgrade, and or some hardware, either at the same time or with a time lag, or maybe both.

[I think I'm getting used to this rumours game!]

In seriousness, I'm reckoning it's hardware PM G5, on March 23rd, a week after this seed is released onto the public.

seven5
Mar 10, 2004, 10:25 AM
this better fix the stupid SMB browser. Im sick of it being broken. Its worthless, i've held off on upgradeing people at work to Panther because of this. Its cacheing is totally broken. If i let others use Panther, i'll be at their desk every day helping them connect to our servers.

I think they just plan on keeping it broken until 10.4, so Steve can come out and show us a new and improved version that actually WORKS, so we can say ooooh ahhhhh. They are running out of things to fix in Os X, so i think they are just adding new features that are broken, so that in revisions they can fix them and look like a new feature. iPhoto Rendezvous sharing anyone?

PlaceofDis
Mar 10, 2004, 10:27 AM
well lets hope this is released soon and that there are no problems with it :p

msconvert
Mar 10, 2004, 10:34 AM
I think they just plan on keeping it broken until 10.4, ....

Someone certainly is a glass-is-half-empty kind of person... :(

stoid
Mar 10, 2004, 10:35 AM
I hope this does fix a few problems. For me Jaguar was solid as a ROCK. Whereas Panther seems a bit rough and tumble.

Like I'm a pioneer back in the old west panning for gold.

eMacMan
Mar 10, 2004, 10:50 AM
Apple continues to seed newer builds of Mac OS X. The most recent build 10.3.3 7F40 was seeded last night with no known issues, according to MacNews.net.tc (http://macintosh.fryke.com/cgi-bin/macnews.cgi/2004/03/10#20040310_7f40_shortreport) -- who expects a final release "any day now".

Areas of major change include Core OS, Carbon, Cocoa, Graphics and Imaging, High Level ToolBox, Printing, and USB.

Do you guys know if the final 10.3.3 combo will install over 10.3.3 7F34? or Do I have to reinstall Panther in order to get the update? I hope not..
Thanks,

eMacMan :)

Ambrose Chapel
Mar 10, 2004, 10:52 AM
I hope this does fix a few problems. For me Jaguar was solid as a ROCK. Whereas Panther seems a bit rough and tumble.

i agree...panther has a lot of little things acting up for me, while jag was virtually problem free. fortunately none of the panther bugs are crippling, but it's still annoying (especially the dual disc images after burning in iTune). hopefully 10.3.3 will be the fix.

Trowaman
Mar 10, 2004, 10:54 AM
Maybe 10.3.3 will come out with a powerbook G5s!!!!! :D

What? Someone had to say it. . . . man, I don't even want a G5 powerbook yet, but it had to be said.

Linksgolfer84
Mar 10, 2004, 11:08 AM
Maybe 10.3.3 will come out with a powerbook G5s!!!!! :D

What? Someone had to say it. . . . man, I don't even want a G5 powerbook yet, but it had to be said.

No, it did not have to be said...

PDubNYC
Mar 10, 2004, 11:08 AM
Do you guys know if the final 10.3.3 combo will install over 10.3.3 7F34? or Do I have to reinstall Panther in order to get the update? I hope not..
Thanks,

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but if you don't know the answer to this question, perhaps you shouldn't be dicking around with a pre-release version of the OS.

That said, I would tend to think that the update should go over it, but I really do not know, that is just a guess.

seven5
Mar 10, 2004, 11:17 AM
Thanks,

i'm not sure, but dont install beta updates on your main system.. its just a bad idea...

thats what laptops are for :)

daveL
Mar 10, 2004, 11:31 AM
Thanks,

If you don't know the answer to this, you can't be getting the seeds from the ADC site, otherwise you would know about downgrading from intermediate seeds, before installing the new one.

dwsolberg
Mar 10, 2004, 12:37 PM
how everyone attacks the guy with a prerelease seed, like he committed some sort of moral atrocity. He just installed a pre-release seed on his system. He didn't steal anything -- just made himself vulnerable to some problems of his own choice. If you can't answer his question, do something postive rather than attacking others.

crees!
Mar 10, 2004, 12:56 PM
how everyone attacks the guy with a prerelease seed, like he committed some sort of moral atrocity. He just installed a pre-release seed on his system. He didn't steal anything -- just made himself vulnerable to some problems of his own choice. If you can't answer his question, do something postive rather than attacking others.

If he is an ADC member he would already know the answer and wouldn't have to ask it here. It's quite obvious he's not a member.

Dale Sorel
Mar 10, 2004, 01:06 PM
Maybe we'll have less of the 'The update hosed my system' posts this time? No doubt someone will blame it for making their screen brighter, sound clearer, boot-up longer, safari icon bounce one time more, car breakdown, relationship breakup etc etc...

Happens with every single update, doesn't it ;)

Matrix9180
Mar 10, 2004, 02:02 PM
Thanks,

IF you had LEGAL access to 7F40 (which would in turn also mean you had legal access to 7F34) you would also have access to reversioners which let you install the latest build...

daveL
Mar 10, 2004, 02:12 PM
The point is that the answer to the question requires him to have access to restricted files on the ADC site, which he clearly doesn't have. Furthermore, ADC members that do have access are not allowed to distribute those files due to NDAs. Obviously, someone isn't following the rules, otherwise the guy wouldn't have the seed to begin with, but what do you expect those of us that do follow the rules to do for him? I told him what the problem is, but I don't have a solution, other than to suggest he not install bootleg seeds in the future.

gopher
Mar 10, 2004, 02:54 PM
Thanks,

it is highly recommended if you are beta testing to start with a fresh copy. It is Apple's way of preventing pirates and people who broke their NDA from having full advantage of a beta. Especially those betas that have been floating about the net on Carracho and Hotline are all simply to sucker you in. So if you have it, don't talk about it and read the documentation that came with it. There is a reason why it is called non-disclosure.

daveL
Mar 10, 2004, 02:58 PM
Just wanted to say that my 1 GHz PB seems a bit snappier with the latest seed installed. Ya gotta love it!

cb911
Mar 10, 2004, 03:11 PM
eMacMan looks like he's gonna get and Apple branded pre-release eLawsuit on his ass. :p

i sure hope that the update is here really soon... can't wait for those networking fixes and improved games performance. :D

invaLPsion
Mar 10, 2004, 03:55 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is one of the most seeded and worked on patches I've ever seen come out of Apple. It seems to me that they want to get all the new bugs out for the new powermacs. Could this be the reason why there have been powermac and xServe delays? Because the patch has the required updates so the new hardware will work?

Yes, I think so.

Powermacs, xServes, and 10.3.3 will all be released together sometime this month.

fluidinclusion
Mar 10, 2004, 04:34 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is one of the most seeded and worked on patches I've ever seen come out of Apple. It seems to me that they want to get all the new bugs out for the new powermacs. Could this be the reason why there have been powermac and xServe delays? Because the patch has the required updates so the new hardware will work?

Yes, I think so.

Powermacs, xServes, and 10.3.3 will all be released together sometime this month.

That line of reasoning seems right-on to me.

mowogg
Mar 10, 2004, 06:05 PM
[QUOTE=Areas of major change include Core OS, Carbon, Cocoa, Graphics and Imaging, High Level ToolBox, Printing, and USB.[/QUOTE]
I hope that it fixes my monitor "out of range" issues with some full-screen games. I have had high hopes that each Panther update will fix this (didn't happen in 10.2.8 or below) but I'm not optimistic.

zync
Mar 10, 2004, 06:37 PM
Has anyone else experienced problems with the mic or line in not working on the 15" PowerBooks? I'm hoping it's just a software problem....I still need a screen replace (white spots and 2 are new in the side + 7 stuck pixels and counting....my display used to be one of the best but after a week of ownership it started going downhill) but I don't want them to have to replace my sound logic board as well :(

Steamboatwillie
Mar 10, 2004, 07:01 PM
this better fix the stupid SMB browser. Im sick of it being broken. Its worthless, i've held off on upgradeing people at work to Panther because of this. Its cacheing is totally broken. If i let others use Panther, i'll be at their desk every day helping them connect to our servers.

I feel your pain. My workaround is Applescript like this:

tell application "Finder"
open location "smb://User:Password@192.168.1.100/share"
open location "smb://User:Password@192.168.1.88/anothershare"
end tell

Click the script and the mounts magically show up on the desktop. It's a kludge but it works great!

crees!
Mar 10, 2004, 07:51 PM
Has anyone else experienced problems with the mic or line in not working on the 15" PowerBooks? I'm hoping it's just a software problem....I still need a screen replace (white spots and 2 are new in the side + 7 stuck pixels and counting....my display used to be one of the best but after a week of ownership it started going downhill) but I don't want them to have to replace my sound logic board as well :(

I take it you're still under your 1 yr AppleCare warranty if you're talking about the new Al PBs... I sent mine in for the same problem with the LCD. In the same day they received it, they fixed it and had already shipped it back to me. Now I call that service.

invaLPsion
Mar 10, 2004, 07:53 PM
If Powermacs, xServes, and 10.3.3 come out together this month then not only I, but MacOSRumors (yes MacOSRumors) will be correct. They predicted this over a month ago! :D

WM.
Mar 10, 2004, 10:48 PM
I hope that it fixes my monitor "out of range" issues with some full-screen games. I have had high hopes that each Panther update will fix this (didn't happen in 10.2.8 or below) but I'm not optimistic.
I don't know about that issue specifically, but I have heard that 10.3.3 will fix many/all of the problems that people have had with resolution and color depth switching under Panther. Since your games most likely are switching resolution and/or depth to use full-screen, I'd assume that this will be fixed.

WM

coumerelli
Mar 11, 2004, 12:09 AM
I take it you're still under your 1 yr AppleCare warranty if you're talking about the new Al PBs... I sent mine in for the same problem with the LCD. In the same day they received it, they fixed it and had already shipped it back to me. Now I call that service.

Yup. Same for me. And to help the original poster, I havn't had any problems with mine (sound).

And on topic - someone had a question about this being the 'most tested, most seeded' - not at all...remember all those almost weekly seeds for 10.3.0? Sometimes they were only 4 days apart in early oct. How cool was that?!?

zync
Mar 11, 2004, 02:09 AM
Yup. Same for me. And to help the original poster, I havn't had any problems with mine (sound).

And on topic - someone had a question about this being the 'most tested, most seeded' - not at all...remember all those almost weekly seeds for 10.3.0? Sometimes they were only 4 days apart in early oct. How cool was that?!?

Yeah the sound is probably only me....I was hoping it was software related...oh well when I get the time to ship this thing off for the screen problem I'll let 'em know about that too....kinda sucks though because that means they'll probably need access to my computer oh well...I'll give them a guest account....I think I'll use the hardware test CD I got with my computer to make sure....I tried once and it said nothing was wrong....oh well, maybe the line-in requires amplification for some reason, though it shouldn't....still wouldn't explain the mic not working though....hmmm...

bankshot
Mar 11, 2004, 03:01 AM

end tell

Click the script and the mounts magically show up on the desktop. It's a kludge but it works great!

I've been doing the same as well, and I added my script to my startup items. Except I don't put the password in the script, but let the Finder store it in my keychain.

One of the annoying "bugs" has been that the Finder does not store the Windows domain used to login to a Windows share in the keychain. We have several file servers at work that are in one domain, but we authenticate our Windows logins from another one. So of course the finder always assumes the login is from the same domain as the server, and it would always prompt me with the password dialog where I'd have to change it to the proper domain.

Then finally I discovered another trick to use with the above notation. You can add the domain to the smb: url as well:

smb://domain;user@host/share

Using that notation, storing my password in the keychain actually works. I've sent feedback to Apple, since that was NOT at all obvious! It should "just work." :cool:

wdlove
Mar 11, 2004, 11:01 AM
If Powermacs, xServes, and 10.3.3 come out together this month then not only I, but MacOSRumors (yes MacOSRumors) will be correct. They predicted this over a month ago! :D

I'm personally not going to count on this until it happens. Only time will tell. I still don't look for anything major till WWDC at the end of June. If something happens earlier then I can be pleasantly surprised.

ffakr
Mar 11, 2004, 01:58 PM
I just updated my ibook from an early 10.3.3 build to build 40 and the machine is dead. I get a kernel panic immediately after boot with a message about no driver for the machine ibook. Typical troubleshooting hasn't helped {param, single user mode...}
Unfortunately I'm home sick today so I don't have all the media I need. Hopefully I've got some panther disks in the truck.

stupid PC.. I can't even get Eudora working. I need my ibook.

gopher
Mar 11, 2004, 02:13 PM
I just updated my ibook from an early 10.3.3 build to build 40 and the machine is dead. I get a kernel panic immediately after boot with a message about no driver for the machine ibook. Typical troubleshooting hasn't helped {param, single user mode...}
Unfortunately I'm home sick today so I don't have all the media I need. Hopefully I've got some panther disks in the truck.

Now why am I not surprised. I warned against doing that. Using pre-release material can be hazardous to your health.

daveL
Mar 11, 2004, 03:11 PM

Did you use the "revisioner" to downgrade before you installed the latest seed? Also, I routinely fix permissions before I apply the update. I noticed when I was preparing to go from f38 to f40 that there were a large number of permissions repaired. Just a thought.

ffakr
Mar 11, 2004, 04:56 PM
Did you use the "revisioner" to downgrade before you installed the latest seed? Also, I routinely fix permissions before I apply the update. I noticed when I was preparing to go from f38 to f40 that there were a large number of permissions repaired. Just a thought.

There were a lot of permissions errors on the f40 install. Repairing them didn't hlep my kernel panic.
Oh well, this is what I get for flying fast and loose...

I tried a clean install (install and archive) with some old 10.2.3 install media and that isn't working either. I just did a core OS install and when I log in, it immediately dumps me to a console login.. no Quartz.

Guess I'll just have to wait till I get my 10.3 media from work.

Of course, I had to f' my machine up when I'm home sick.

jap4n
Mar 11, 2004, 06:35 PM

end tell

dude j00 are teh rulez!
good thinking :D

edit: ohhh... doesnt work. returns -error :( stupid fing

hrmm.. perhaps i should learn some AS

bankshot
Mar 11, 2004, 07:44 PM
edit: ohhh... doesnt work. returns -error :( stupid fing

This works for me:

try
mount volume "smb://domain;user@host/share"
end tell
end try

daveL
Mar 13, 2004, 02:05 PM
Nobody's posted this, yet, but 7F43 is now available on ADC.