PDA

View Full Version : Epocrates Essentials Now Available for iPhone

MacRumors
Jan 23, 2009, 12:42 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/01/23/epocrates-essentials-now-available-for-iphone/)

Epocrates (http://www.epocrates.com) [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=281935788&mt=8)] has released version 2.0 of their free clinical reference application for the iPhone and iPod touch. The update brings several enhancements to their free offerings and adds compatibility with Epocrates Essentials, their subscription-based premium content.

Epocrates Rx (http://www.epocrates.com/products/rx/iphone.html), the free component to the application, offers a drug and formulary reference that includes identification, dosing, side effect, reaction, pricing and insurance information, as well as a drug interaction database. It also includes MedMath, a collection of over 35 medical calculators.

Epocrates Essentials (http://www.epocrates.com/products/essentials/iphone.html), now available as a one-year ($149) or two-year ($249) subscription, provides detailed, peer-reviewed disease information and treatment recommendations. It also provides information for interpretation of diagnostic and laboratory tests and data on over 600 alternative medicines.

Article Link: Epocrates Essentials Now Available for iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/01/23/epocrates-essentials-now-available-for-iphone/)

JP3G
Jan 23, 2009, 01:09 PM
You call that news-worthy?

EvanLugh
Jan 23, 2009, 01:11 PM

I do.

Diode
Jan 23, 2009, 01:25 PM
It's a good app. A lot of doctors I know use it ...

someone28624
Jan 23, 2009, 01:28 PM
I've been loving the free version. When I start my NP clinicals, I'll probably subscribe to the paid version.

.Andy
Jan 23, 2009, 01:35 PM
Most definitely. This is great news for those of us who use it/wish we had the $$$. Nice to have some serious professional productivity apps coming to the iPhone/touch platform.

MilesAhead
Jan 23, 2009, 01:48 PM

It's incredibly newsworthy if you are in health care. I would be willing to bet that Epocrates is responsible for selling more iPhones than any other single 3rd party app.

And unlike the the games you'll play twice then delete or the app that makes farting noises or lets you pretend to drink beer, this one is actually useful.

MBHockey
Jan 23, 2009, 01:54 PM

Yup.

bunit
Jan 23, 2009, 02:03 PM

Why yes I do!

wayland1985
Jan 23, 2009, 02:12 PM
It's incredibly newsworthy if you are in health care. I would be willing to bet that Epocrates is responsible for selling more iPhones than any other single 3rd party app.

And unlike the the games you'll play twice then delete or the app that makes farting noises or lets you pretend to drink beer, this one is actually useful.

X2...

I returned my windows mobile phone last year just seeing the Preview for Epocrates (When they demoed the UI on the iPhone). While you may look more professional with a Stylus in hand, using the Palm/WinMo version of Epocrates, the iPhone version is much easier to use... has a better layout... has better accessability.... takes advantage of the screen.... It's a great combo for health professionals like myself.

Eventually, I'll add the Lexi-Comp programs as well, making this probably one of the better on-the-fly medical resources out there.

Suddenly the iPhone is starting to look a little more "Professional"

brop52
Jan 23, 2009, 02:24 PM
Good news. Now all they need to do is update the iPhone so I can buy it some time before July when I start rotations.

Robbadore64
Jan 23, 2009, 02:37 PM

I'll go with No. ;)

Though I do like the app because I like to know what I'm ingesting.

Marzzz
Jan 23, 2009, 02:49 PM
I would be willing to bet that Epocrates is responsible for selling more iPhones than any other single 3rd party app.

Yep- when Epocrates became available, that was when I upgraded to an iPhone.

MarkMS
Jan 23, 2009, 02:52 PM
Ouch! I just paid for Epocrates Rx Pro for my new BlackBerry Bold. I knew I should have waited and got the iPhone.

And yes, this is news worthy. I use this app all the time!

nyctravis
Jan 23, 2009, 02:59 PM
Ouch! I just paid for Epocrates Rx Pro for my new BlackBerry Bold. I knew I should have waited and got the iPhone.

You can switch platforms for free

SFStateStudent
Jan 23, 2009, 03:24 PM
Gawd, now my iPhone tells me when I can get high? Oh, I meant medicated with prescription drugs... LOL :D

I would definitely buy this app if I were in the medical field/profession. :cool:

cschmelz
Jan 23, 2009, 03:35 PM

And yes, this is news worthy. I use this app all the time!

I got money back (actual REFUND) when I sold my palm devices and switched to the iPhone. Just cancel the Blackberry sub with them and use the credited dollars to get the iPhone subscription

MarkMS
Jan 23, 2009, 03:48 PM
You can switch platforms for free

I got money back (actual REFUND) when I sold my palm devices and switched to the iPhone. Just cancel the Blackberry sub with them and use the credited dollars to get the iPhone subscription

Thank you for that information. Had no idea I could do that.

imac9556
Jan 23, 2009, 03:58 PM
Newsworthy! My dad has been waiting to switch from the Windows Mobile Platform to the iPhone because Epocrates Essentials wasn't ported to the iPhone yet. Hes a doctor and sometimes uses it for references. And also being a medical student right now, this is great news for me too! Although, its a little expensive

rstone3
Jan 23, 2009, 04:28 PM

It's why I got my iPhone!

Flowbee
Jan 23, 2009, 04:56 PM
Yeah, but will it make fart sounds?

Lara F
Jan 23, 2009, 05:02 PM
I paid for Lexi Pediatrics last fall so will probably hold off on Essentials for the time being...but it's absolutely great for health care professionals to have it available. I'd estimate that half of the house staff at my institution have iPhones now, and this should encourage even more to switch.

At this point the only two things left I'd like to have for work/study would be an offline version of Up To Date and a Zitelli Pediatric Atlas app. :)

brop52
Jan 23, 2009, 05:45 PM
Newsworthy! My dad has been waiting to switch from the Windows Mobile Platform to the iPhone because Epocrates Essentials wasn't ported to the iPhone yet. Hes a doctor and sometimes uses it for references. And also being a medical student right now, this is great news for me too! Although, its a little expensive

There are a lot of 50% off coupon codes floating around the internet.

bainesajay
Jan 23, 2009, 08:23 PM
I am a Clinical Pharmacist and I have been using the free version for quite a while. Its okay... Its not comprehensive enough and does not give detailed information that I would not already know. Still waiting for that do it all easy to use all in one medical application.

I find Lexi's information too generic, I wish UpToDate would bring something soon.

STEVESKI07
Jan 24, 2009, 08:59 AM
I am a Clinical Pharmacist and I have been using the free version for quite a while. Its okay... Its not comprehensive enough and does not give detailed information that I would not already know. Still waiting for that do it all easy to use all in one medical application.

I find Lexi's information too generic, I wish UpToDate would bring something soon.

Maybe it's not comprehensive enough because you only had the trial version?

rjflyn
Jan 24, 2009, 12:44 PM
If your an MD, DO, RN, PharmD or what not and have a smart device and dont have at least the free RX on it dont even talk to me. While it may not be the most comprehensive all knowing app it does what it does the best. It has for several years and they give it away.

R

bainesajay
Jan 24, 2009, 11:15 PM
If your an MD, DO, RN, PharmD or what not and have a smart device and dont have at least the free RX on it dont even talk to me. While it may not be the most comprehensive all knowing app it does what it does the best. It has for several years and they give it away.

R

I am indeed running the current free one. I have been for a while. I do like it, don't get me wrong. But as someone who is both a clinician and IT professional, its not the ultimate program we all need.

I think eventually the eChart companies will come out with their own which can have patient labs and patient data in them and then mix with the reference programs. THis would be the ultimate program

Aries326
Jan 30, 2009, 07:53 PM
Definitely newsworthy. I will definitely get a copy when I start my job after residency. I'll let the company pay for it. In the meantime, the free version of ePocrates with my free medcalc does everything I need to do for now.

finalcut
Feb 3, 2009, 09:45 AM
A little bit too expensive for my needs. I like the free edition however
thanks to the devs

manhattanboy
Feb 3, 2009, 09:53 AM

Exactly, if the starter of this site wasn't a doctor then this wouldn't even make page 2...........
Doctors are horrible:eek::D

southerndoc
Feb 4, 2009, 01:30 AM
I'm having trouble where sometimes when I try to search for a drug, the keyboard doesn't pop up. Anyone else with this problem? I have the original iPhone 8GB.

nyctravis
Feb 4, 2009, 05:05 AM
I'm having trouble where sometimes when I try to search for a drug, the keyboard doesn't pop up. Anyone else with this problem? I have the original iPhone 8GB.

+1

Heart Break Kid
Feb 4, 2009, 08:56 AM

Incredibly so, for a medical geek like myself.

Now to get an app that would force my resident not to make me pre-round at 4:30 AM.

Xibalba
Feb 20, 2009, 11:37 PM
as a physician, i literally use this program all day long and am glad that the essentials version is now available. with the 50% off coupon, this program is quite affordable at just around $63 per year - not much over a buck per week. even if you don't have CME money in your contract for this program, that is still quite a deal.

i do find the program one of the slowest-running ones on the iphone and usually either restart the phone daily or use "freememory" or "istat" on a regular basis to keep epocrates up-to-speed.

yes, this happens quite often. i have found the quickest way is to tap formulary and then back to drug search and the keyboard works then.

ScutMonkey
Feb 21, 2009, 09:00 AM
Incredibly so, for a medical geek like myself.

Now to get an app that would force my resident not to make me pre-round at 4:30 AM.

LOL, I love this. When I was a resident I was not allowed to call the staff in the middle of the night unless we were going to the OR. I remember covering off on the CCU my first month as a resident and feeling like I didn't have a clue what I was doing, but knowing I had to deal with it all myself as I didn't have backup except in dire emergencies. Ah, good times.

Back on subject, I use Epocrates (the free version) all the time and I really like it. I still carry a small pocket drug guide for when the iPhone version gives me grief, but I know most of the drugs I order regularly anyway, so I rarely have to use anything but common sense and the Epocrates. It's a good little app.

Patillac
Mar 30, 2009, 05:59 PM
Hello all...

I have sporadic internet connection and was wondering if essentials is similar to the free version in that it is dependent on wi-fi or 3G connectivity, or is essentials a completely independent full program?? I hate carrying around the palm JUST for epoc but with wi-fi being so limited I need a full program - and I'd be happy to fork out the $150 if this is the case.

Thanks in advance!!

brop52
Mar 30, 2009, 06:47 PM
Hello all...

I have sporadic internet connection and was wondering if essentials is similar to the free version in that it is dependent on wi-fi or 3G connectivity, or is essentials a completely independent full program?? I hate carrying around the palm JUST for epoc but with wi-fi being so limited I need a full program - and I'd be happy to fork out the $150 if this is the case.

Thanks in advance!!

It's a full program that doesn't require internet.

Mahler12x
Apr 26, 2009, 05:28 PM
Don't pay full price for your subscription cuz there's a coupon code out there to get it for 50% off! I'm in nursing school and this program has been outstandingly helpful.

Code is: APA95014STU

techMD
Feb 12, 2010, 05:57 PM
Quick note, someone asked if epocrates essential requires a dedicated internet connection, and it doesn't, BUT, in order to view the pictures you do need an internet connection.

We have a full review (http://www.imedicalapps.com/2010/02/epocrates-app-review-iphone-medical-app-ipod-touc/)of Epocrates Essential on our site, iMedicalApps.com (http://www.imedicalapps.com). We also go through each version of Epocrates, breaking down the features offered with each price point.

tikidoc
Feb 13, 2010, 06:32 AM

Ha! I have the free version on my iPod touch, and like it a lot. I am still waiting for Verizon to get the iPhone though. AT&T just does not have good coverage in my area.

SRLMJ23
Feb 13, 2010, 06:58 AM
Definitely one of the best Apps on my iPhone. I'm a medical resident and I use this every single day I am at the hospital, also as a medical resident im still considered a "student" so I get a discount off the premium package.