PDA

View Full Version : Rubbing alcohol?

ivnj
Jan 23, 2009, 11:42 PM
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1804341&tstart=0

Saw this tip on apple forums. Got a used silver 2gb nano used on ebay. Click wheel not responding. How safe is the rubbing alcohol idea? Anyone else try this before? Or I have can of compressed air.

ivnj
Jan 24, 2009, 07:59 PM
I tried the compressed air and no good. So does the rubbing alcohol sound like a good idea or not?

StealthRider
Jan 24, 2009, 08:13 PM
Works fine for cleaning my stuff, just don't get too much on whatever you use to apply. Alcohol or not, you don't want anything dripping.

ivnj
Jan 24, 2009, 08:45 PM
Any special name brand I should buy or just regular rubbing alcohol. And is 10 drops too much.

spazattack674
Jan 24, 2009, 08:51 PM
I would assume that it's all the same, or they'd have to label it differently.
Usually what I do is apply it to a cloth, i don't really measure how much, just to dampen the cloth somewhat. But, like the above poster said, don't let it drip.

ivnj
Jan 24, 2009, 09:04 PM
So wipe over the click wheel or pour it down the connector and shake like the apple guy said.

ivnj
Jan 27, 2009, 11:16 AM
Ok, so I tried anyway. That totally worked. So now the click wheel works again. It started almost immediately working. But it was all blurry. Over night after I let it sit it works now. I can read the screen and get pased the language screen. But I still have isopropal rubbing alcohol left in the screen.

The nano is kinda air tight. So it's taking a lot longer to dry than I expected. So let it sit a few more days. Or instead a blowdrier with cold setting. Or another method.

What is the best way to let it finish drying.

StealthRider
Jan 31, 2009, 11:46 PM
Put it in a bag of dry rice, seal the baggie, and let it sit for a week - should dry it out completely :)