PDA

View Full Version : Zune sales plummet by 54%

LaDirection
Jan 24, 2009, 09:27 PM
http://www.edibleapple.com/zune-sales-drop-by-54-down-100-million-from-last-year/

I didn't see it in the forums, sorry of someone else posted this before.

Schtumple
Jan 24, 2009, 09:29 PM
Well if they sold 20 last year, and only 11 this year, I mean, 54% makes it sound like there's a big difference :p

(I'm now very tired, and lacking good humor)

r.j.s
Jan 24, 2009, 09:29 PM
So ... they sold 7 instead of 13 this year?

Schtumple
Jan 24, 2009, 09:35 PM
Haha, I do believe we hiveminded there r.j.s

r.j.s
Jan 24, 2009, 09:39 PM
Haha, I do believe we hiveminded there r.j.s

I guess we did.

Melrose
Jan 24, 2009, 10:47 PM
Meh. squirting was just a fad. All 37 people jumped on the bandwagon but realized there was nobody to squirt with. (or is it squirt on?)

Abstract
Jan 24, 2009, 10:57 PM
People must have checked out The Social™, and walked out when they asked themselves, "The Social? What the hell does that even mean?"

r.j.s
Jan 24, 2009, 10:59 PM
People must have checked out The Social™, and walked out when they asked themselves, "The Social? What the hell does that even mean?"

I thought The Social™ ended a long time ago.

gkarris
Jan 24, 2009, 11:22 PM
An iPod Killer is about as relevant these days as an HD-DVD player - they both ain’t happenin’.

LOL... I like my HD DVD player (on my XB360)...

I think that Circuity City going out-of-business selling them at close-out should help Zune sales a little... :eek:

suburbia
Jan 27, 2009, 02:28 PM
Has anyone actually seen someone using this Zune??? Seriously.

és:
Jan 27, 2009, 02:30 PM

I've still yet to see a Zune in the flesh.

iPod killer No. 1987399388 - Fail.

Unspeaked
Jan 27, 2009, 02:38 PM
I've still yet to see a Zune in the flesh.

They're made out of flesh?

No wonder they don't sell so hot...

és:
Jan 27, 2009, 03:01 PM
They're made out of flesh?

Judging by the colour of the brown ones, I'm not sure it's flesh that they're made out of!

bigjnyc
Jan 27, 2009, 03:15 PM

Now that i think about it I dont think i have :eek: wow, what a failure of a product.

Unspeaked
Jan 27, 2009, 03:19 PM
Judging by the colour of the brown ones, I'm not sure it's flesh that they're made out of!

No one said anything about human flesh...

:eek:

Consultant
Jan 27, 2009, 04:19 PM
predicted.
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2007/11/22/why-microsofts-zune-is-still-failing/

Well even this zune fan gives up
"Zune Guy Getting Rid of Zune Tattoos, Probably Replacing Them With Something Equally Embarrassing"
http://gizmodo.com/5028294/zune-guy-getting-rid-of-zune-tattoos-probably-replacing-them-with-something-equally-embarrassing

Zune 2006: Fail
Zune 2007: Fail
Zune 2008: Fail

See a pattern here?

patrick0brien
Jan 27, 2009, 04:40 PM

-suburbia

I have, on a flight from Dallas to Chicago.

He also had a Blackberry, and a personal DVD player.

Struck me as a rabid antiAppler. The snarl on his face when everybody else around him whipped out their iPods at 10,000 feet was just icing at that point.

SpaceKitty
Jan 27, 2009, 05:42 PM
I saw a Zune once. The guy said he was using it because someone was giving them away for free at his school. That was a year ago and I haven't seen one since. I've seen lots of iPods though.

Oh and I saw a second one at Radio Shack, does that count?

Melrose
Jan 27, 2009, 06:08 PM
I saw a Zune once. The guy said he was using it because someone was giving them away for free at his school. That was a year ago and I haven't seen one since. I've seen lots of iPods though.

Oh and I saw a second one at Radio Shack, does that count?

I saw a cardboard one in one of those electronics departments. I was impressed with it's usefulness and reliability.

dmr727
Jan 27, 2009, 06:39 PM
I saw a cardboard one in one of those electronics departments. I was impressed with it's usefulness and reliability.

The battery life is pretty awesome too, I hear.

teflon
Jan 27, 2009, 08:00 PM
I have actually seen 3. One was the original, hugeass version. I saw it while I was I was in the airport. A guy was crouched on the ground using it, and I literally stopped in my track in surprise. I stood around the guy for like 5 minutes trying to not look suspicious while checking out the Zune. I was so curious because I have never seen one before in my life. The 2nd and 3rd one are the new ones (HD version, not flash). Those look much better and I was more prepared this time. Btw, I tried it out, and it just doesn't seem to be very intuitive :rolleyes:.

Dagless
Jan 28, 2009, 11:29 AM
I've not seen one but then again MS failed to even launch the product here. I know there's usually a gap between US and UK launch... But it's been 3 years so far!

I never wanted a Zune anyways. Heck I don't see any big reason to replace my 5.5G with a new iPod (even a Touch).

lsvtecjohn3
Jan 28, 2009, 11:41 AM
What I find funny is early last year Microsoft has said the Zune has sold over 2 million units. At CES 09 duning the keynote Steve Ballmer or someone said that Microsoft has sold over 2 million Zunes. What? Microsoft is still saying they sold 2 million units. So their saying they didn't sell any Zunes at all in 2008? I never seen anyone with a Zune how sad

dL.
Jan 28, 2009, 11:43 AM
I've never seen anyone with a Zune before. Only from Best Buy :D

dL

cecildk9999
Jan 28, 2009, 11:47 AM
My Dad got one before the ipod touches came out; he was a fan of the slightly larger screen at the time. But I think it has more to do with his personal vendetta against Apple (from over 20 years ago) that keeps him from buying an ipod than the fact that he actually likes the Zune. Speaking of the 'Social,' that reminds me of the wonderful picture that came with the original installer; what was going on with that one girl?

http://blogs.smh.com.au/mashup/images/zunephoto.jpg

Consultant
Jan 28, 2009, 12:06 PM
I have actually seen 3. One was the original, hugeass version. I saw it while I was I was in the airport. A guy was crouched on the ground using it, and I literally stopped in my track in surprise. I stood around the guy for like 5 minutes trying to not look suspicious while checking out the Zune. I was so curious because I have never seen one before in my life. The 2nd and 3rd one are the new ones (HD version, not flash). Those look much better and I was more prepared this time. Btw, I tried it out, and it just doesn't seem to be very intuitive :rolleyes:.

He was either trying to hide it, or got dizzy from trying to make it work.

What I find funny is early last year Microsoft has said the Zune has sold over 2 million units. At CES 09 duning the keynote Steve Ballmer or someone said that Microsoft has sold over 2 million Zunes. What? Microsoft is still saying they sold 2 million units. So their saying they didn't sell any Zunes at all in 2008? I never seen anyone with a Zune how sad

They count all the ones on store shelves or in landfills as "sold".

My Dad got one before the ipod touches came out; he was a fan of the slightly larger screen at the time. But I think it has more to do with his personal vendetta against Apple (from over 20 years ago) that keeps him from buying an ipod than the fact that he actually likes the Zune. Speaking of the 'Social,' that reminds me of the wonderful picture that came with the original installer; what was going on with that one girl?

Oh the pain! I've been tricked by MS again! (passes out)

gkarris
Jan 28, 2009, 12:19 PM

From all that "social" "squirting"... :eek:

;)

és:
Jan 28, 2009, 12:52 PM
Struck me as a rabid antiAppler.

Those guys are so sad. I know being a full on Apple fanboy is sad but being an anti-apple nut is really dodgy.

They buy a load of rubbish equipment, just because it's not apple and it's 5% cheaper and then slate Apple products. They really are sad.

velocityg4
Jan 28, 2009, 01:16 PM

She's in agony from using a Zune.

pilotError
Jan 28, 2009, 01:37 PM
Meh. squirting was just a fad. All 37 people jumped on the bandwagon but realized there was nobody to squirt with. (or is it squirt on?)

I heard it left a bad taste in their mouth...

pagansoul
Jan 30, 2009, 06:58 AM
I've seen them on display in Walmart, Bestbuy and the late Circuit City, never while walking down the street or at work or shopping in a Mall. I did see one once on a TV show but I don't remember what one. I see iphones and ipod earbuds all over the place.

Melrose
Jan 30, 2009, 09:00 AM
I see iphones and ipod earbuds all over the place.

Thy name is ubiquity. It's become so commonplace these days that you aren't considered 'well to do' if you have an iPod.

The thing that pushed the Zune down during it's fledgling youth is that Crash at the end of last year. Baaaaad press that made major headlines. That just voided the millions of dollars Microsoft spent on marketing, at least the eyes of people who are actually looking for a new PMP.

BornAgainMac
Jan 30, 2009, 03:12 PM
That photo ad from Microsoft is extremely funny. The squirting term was just as bad as the Zune name. Microsoft is rumored to be working on a new Zune this year. It might be like the iPod Touch and probably run Windows Mobile.

You know they have to be jealous of Apple with the opportunity to come out with Snow Leopard (optimized, no pressure from users), complete control of the software and hardware, iPod, and iPhone.

Schtumple
Jan 30, 2009, 03:16 PM
I don't I've ever seen a zune in my life, are they even on sale in the UK?

ucfgrad93
Jan 30, 2009, 03:40 PM

No, I think they are only sold in the U.S. and Canada, which is part of the problem.

numbersyx
Jan 30, 2009, 03:50 PM
I didn't think they had any sales to plummet from....

I've never seen anyone with the Zune....

Abstract
Jan 30, 2009, 03:58 PM
The thing that pushed the Zune down during it's fledgling youth is that Crash at the end of last year. Baaaaad press that made major headlines. That just voided the millions of dollars Microsoft spent on marketing, at least the eyes of people who are actually looking for a new PMP.

Yes, bad publicity amongst nerds......nerds who had already made up their mind on whether to give the Zune a chance or not 12 months before the crash. Personally, I don't believe that the crash affected Zune sales, although it would be a nice scapegoat for MS's next quarter financial report, when they need to report that Zune sales were lower than expected. ;)

I've never seen one in any country, even the ones that (I think) sell them.

Maybe she got squirted on, or wants to get squirted on?

Requirements: Person must be male, own a brown zune, and squirt acid that can blind a person and cause excruciating pain.

Melrose
Jan 30, 2009, 07:58 PM
Yes, bad publicity amongst nerds......nerds who had already made up their mind on whether to give the Zune a chance or not 12 months before the crash. Personally, I don't believe that the crash affected Zune sales, although it would be a nice scapegoat for MS's next quarter financial report, when they need to report that Zune sales were lower than expected. ;)

CNN isn't nerd-only.. I agree it was bad before the Great Zune Debacle of Late '08.. perhaps I misphrased my last statement... It certainly damaged their image for anyone currently looking for a PMP.

How do you say that? Pimp? P-M-P? Pump? Hmm...

thomahawk
Jan 30, 2009, 08:06 PM
oohh really the prices are down!??

maybe i'll buy a 120gb then :D

no really its cheaper and i need a bigger hard drive mp3/video player

SactoGuy18
Jan 31, 2009, 09:20 AM
The current Zunes are actually nice portable music players but they're still not as easy to use an iPod, especially the excellent click wheel control found on the iPod nano and classic models. And it doesn't help that the iPod ecosystem is so gigantic that Microsoft can't compete against this.

dam0dred
Jan 31, 2009, 10:46 AM

I work in downtown Toronto, I'm on the subway twice a day and see hundreds of people.

I have seen ONE Zune. I did a double take at the poor girl.

joepunk
Jan 31, 2009, 11:58 AM
I saw 2, possibly 3 zunes while working at Walt Disney World.

r.j.s
Jan 31, 2009, 01:41 PM
I used to work with a guy that had one, he swore it was 10x better than the iPod.

I think he was just saying that to make himself feel better.

Melrose
Jan 31, 2009, 04:09 PM
I used to work with a guy that had one, he swore it was 10x better than the iPod.

I think he was just saying that to make himself feel better.

That is the only reasonable, logical answer I'd say.

Dagless
Feb 1, 2009, 07:49 AM
Apple loyalist behaviour aside- Why would someone buy a Zune over an iPod?

(an actual honest question, MS didn't release it in the UK so I've not been able to use one)

ucfgrad93
Feb 1, 2009, 09:35 AM

(an actual honest question, MS didn't release it in the UK so I've not been able to use one)

I have never used a Zune, but I think one reason someone would choose it over an iPod is subscription based music. You pay a monthly fee of $15 and can download all the music you want. However, if you stop paying the monthly fee, you can't listen to the music anymore.

Abstract
Feb 1, 2009, 10:04 AM
Well I've rarely read anything bad about Zunes, to be honest. In most ways, they were as good as iPods, while also offering more features. In fact, most mp3 players are really good, if you ever read reviews. I guess it's hard to screw up a hierarchial menu-based mp3 player.

What the iPod has going for it is a strong brand image, and wide use of iTunes. Actually, I have lots of friends who just use Windows Media Player because that's what came with their system, and it plays music just fine.

Melrose
Feb 1, 2009, 01:12 PM
What the iPod has going for it is a strong brand image, and wide use of iTunes.

True dat - I'd add also the IMMENSE array of gadgets, add-ons and accessories that are iPod-only, including car makers advertising that the stereo in certain models comes iPod-ready.

'iPod' has nearly become synonymous with an MP3 Player, almost (well okay not quite but getting there) like Kleenex.

peapody
Feb 1, 2009, 03:23 PM
I haven't had the chance to read this whole thread, but I have went from Ipod 3g, 4g to zune 30 to ipod 5g to zune 80, to 5.5g, to 6g, and now I am going back to my zune 80. Sure the zune doesn't do things as well or as many things as the ipod - but the sound quality of and the UI of the zune is something that I dearly missed. If you guys haven't had the chance to listen to the zune - the headphone out is just really really good compared to the ipod headphone out. If you guys have had the chance to listen to the first gen shuffle - the sound quality of the zune is on par with that player. Sometimes I think it is a shame that people automatically go ipod...without testing and seeing what is really out there. The ipod though, is great for people who don't care.

Rodimus Prime
Feb 1, 2009, 03:45 PM

well like it or not WMP (Windows Media Player) has some features that are just really nice and in some ways a lot better than itunes. It works with Zune about as well as the iPod works with iTunes so neither has an advantage there.

I like how WMP can auto rate your songs based on how often they are played, how long they been in your library, how often they are skip and so on. This is a feature I wish iTunes would add is the option to let it auto rate your songs. For windows WMP can be put in the task bar and controls play, pause forward back are all able to be accessed. Both are advantage WMP.

As for handling the libary I personally like how iTunes work with it real time search something WMP just does not do.

For movies I sorry but iTunes sucks for playing movies and avi when compared to WMP.

Music I run iTunes and I think it handles it better I just wish it would copy some of the features. For playing movies and avi I think WMP is by far better than itunes.

Some it up taking away the iPod image factor I think it comes down to WMP vs iTunes in which people like better.

For me when I replace my iPod I will get another iPod just because I have stuff from the iTMS that I do not want to lose.

Abstract
Feb 1, 2009, 06:41 PM
True dat - I'd add also the IMMENSE array of gadgets, add-ons and accessories that are iPod-only, including car makers advertising that the stereo in certain models comes iPod-ready.

'iPod' has nearly become synonymous with an MP3 Player, almost (well okay not quite but getting there) like Kleenex.

You're absolutely right.

I have a Nokia 5800 XpressMusic/Tube/whatever. Good iPhone competitor. The typing is far superior (I send texts often), and things like the music player are as good as an iPod Touch or iPhone.

If you treat it like an isolated 'thing', they're about the same. However, if you take the entire spectrum of products and services available for the iPod into consideration, having an iPod would have been beneficial, even if the product itself isn't "better". That's what I miss about having an iPod.

If I had an iPod, I'd have iPod integration in the car. I don't care about iTMS or the accessories, since there aren't a lot of things to buy for an iPod touch anyway. I got the case, a useful headphone remote, and screen protector included with my Nokia. :) It can be connected to the Aux port, but I can't use the stereo to skip songs or anything. I need to use the touchscreen on my phone and do things from there. It's not a good solution. :o

I don't regret my purchase because it's better for things like typing, but there isn't a plethora of products and services to go with it.

SpaceKitty
Feb 1, 2009, 06:49 PM
Plus cars are even being sold now that are iPod capable. I have an '09 Chevy that has an iPod connector built in plus an AUX input on the face of the stereo. You would never hear of a car coming with a Zune connector, there just isn't enough Zunes around to make that wort it.

r.j.s
Feb 1, 2009, 07:22 PM
Plus cars are even being sold now that are iPod capable. I have an '09 Chevy that has an iPod connector built in plus an AUX input on the face of the stereo. You would never hear of a car coming with a Zune connector, there just isn't enough Zunes around to make that wort it.

Actually, I think there is a MS car system called Sync that works with the Zune.

Melrose
Feb 1, 2009, 08:08 PM

That may scare more people off than ramp up the sales..

Dagless
Feb 2, 2009, 06:37 PM
well like it or not WMP (Windows Media Player) has some features that are just really nice and in some ways a lot better than itunes. It works with Zune about as well as the iPod works with iTunes so neither has an advantage there.

Gah, yea, WMP. Damn I hate that thing. I used to use it relentlessly on the XP side of things but it was just way too bloated. I use Winamp for XP, iTunes in OSX.

I suppose that puts a stop to any Zune plans right there. My iTunes library is huge and I don't want to transpose it to WMP :o

DiamondMac
Feb 7, 2009, 10:05 PM
Not really a shock. I know 4-5 who got Zunes and most liked it at first but by now, all but 1 sold them and bought iPod's

Easier to use

SactoGuy18
Feb 7, 2009, 11:18 PM
Not really a shock. I know 4-5 who got Zunes and most liked it at first but by now, all but 1 sold them and bought iPod's

Easier to use

Having played around with the current Zune 16 GB, I can understand why. The click wheel interface of the current 4G nano and "6.5G" classic is much easier to use and master. :)

DiamondMac
Feb 7, 2009, 11:21 PM
Having played around with the current Zune 16 GB, I can understand why. The click wheel interface of the current 4G nano and "6.5G" classic is much easier to use and master. :)

Oh good god, no way. I will take the touch any day over the wheel of the Zune

sushi
Feb 7, 2009, 11:31 PM
I tried using a Zune at a store. Was not impressed with it.

I have seen very few in the wild in the past few years. Not surprised sales have dipped.

SactoGuy18
Feb 8, 2009, 12:02 AM
Oh good god, no way. I will take the touch any day over the wheel of the Zune

However, the iPod touch's interface is not as easy to master as the click wheel interface used on the nano and classic models.