PDA

View Full Version : Digital TV transition wont be delayed


Mattzane15
Jan 28, 2009, 12:50 PM
http://news.aol.com/article/house-defeats-bill-to-delay-digital-tv/291909

Tilpots
Jan 28, 2009, 12:56 PM
http://news.aol.com/article/house-defeats-bill-to-delay-digital-tv/291909

Here comes trouble... Hell hath no fury like a redneck without TV.

zombitronic
Jan 28, 2009, 01:25 PM
About 6.5 million people, or about 5%, are not DTV ready. I don't understand the desire for a delay while the other 95% are ready.

I'm not even sure how accurate these numbers are. I've got my coupons but I haven't picked up a box yet. My main TV, however, has a DTV tuner. So am I included in the "not ready" crowd? Out of those 6.5 million people, I'm guessing a couple million are just procrastinators, like me.

Here's what I think will happen. The day it happens, journalists all over the country will get to write fluff pieces about how "Local idiot wakes up to snow... on his TV!" This day will be a record sale day for DTV boxes. About a week into the transition, most people will have their boxes and this news will be a thing of the past.

Here's what would happen if they delayed it by four months. The same thing.

MacNoobie
Jan 28, 2009, 01:38 PM
Lmfao who in this day and age ISN'T ready for DTV its 2009 for christs sake! people NEED to get with the program (no pun intended) and upgrade.

If an entire society was left at the pace that these people are going at for upgrading then we'd all still be in the stone ages still.

ChrisA
Jan 28, 2009, 02:14 PM
http://news.aol.com/article/house-defeats-bill-to-delay-digital-tv/291909

It's not that big of a deal. So what if the TV stops working. Most people would be better off without it. It's not like they are turning off heat or water.

My gues is that the people who need these boxes and don't already have them will not fully understand what's up untill the TVs go blank. Even then most of these guys will figure their set is broken and that they have to replace it. And "sure enough" they will be right. They will make the transition and still never understand.

ou lumberjack
Jan 28, 2009, 02:48 PM
It's not that big of a deal. So what if the TV stops working. Most people would be better off without it. It's not like they are turning off heat or water.

My gues is that the people who need these boxes and don't already have them will not fully understand what's up untill the TVs go blank. Even then most of these guys will figure their set is broken and that they have to replace it. And "sure enough" they will be right. They will make the transition and still never understand.

amen to that

iJohnHenry
Jan 28, 2009, 03:59 PM
If an entire society was left at the pace that these people are going at for upgrading then we'd all still be in the stone ages still.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g158/MouseMeat/Smilies/HelloSmilie.gif from the Stone Age.

Ours doesn't "kick-in" until 2011. :(

GSMiller
Jan 28, 2009, 04:36 PM
I wish they would just make the switch already and shut up about it. People lived without TV for billions of years, they can wait a few days until the cable guy hooks up their new service.

EricNau
Jan 28, 2009, 04:38 PM
Hooray! Four less months hearing about the "upcoming switch to digital"!

Schtumple
Jan 28, 2009, 04:40 PM
Our switch over is this year or 2012, either way, people have known about the switch over for what, 5 years now? At home we've already been through 2 set top boxes just waiting for the switch over to happen! Anyone that hasn't got the new box has had plenty of time to get around to this...

Eidorian
Jan 28, 2009, 04:46 PM
Been switched over for 9 months already. :rolleyes:

gkarris
Jan 28, 2009, 10:21 PM
What transition???

:D