PDA

View Full Version : USPS Mail May Be Cut to 5 Days - Price of stamps up 2 cents.

Unspeaked
Jan 28, 2009, 03:56 PM
LINK (http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/92987/usps-may-cut-out-full-day-of-mail-delivery/Default.aspx)

USPS May Cut Out Full Day Of Mail Delivery

Neither rain nor sleet nor snow slows the United States Postal Service down, but a rising deficit may do the trick.
Postmaster General John Potter says the post office's financial situation could force the agency to cut a full day out of mail delivery each week.

Potter asked a congressional panel today to end the requirement that the post office deliver mail six days a week.

If the post office was to cut its delivery days, it would not necessarily cancel Saturday delivery. Previous studies have looked at the possibility of skipping some other day, such as Tuesday.

Rising costs and increasing use of e-mail lead to a $2.8 billion deficit in 2008.

PlaceofDis
Jan 28, 2009, 03:59 PM
makes sense to cut out a day really. i don't see any need to hold onto a six day delivery schedule any longer with email becoming more and more ubiquitous.

that said... i do not see the benefit of cutting out a day besides saturday simply for logistic purposes. talk about confusion...

EricNau
Jan 28, 2009, 04:00 PM
Tuesday? I suppose it's logical not to skip two consecutive days, but at the same time it would seem very odd not to receive mail on a weekday.

Can't say it would affect me much either way.

iJohnHenry
Jan 28, 2009, 04:05 PM
I agree, Tuesday??

"We" have been without Saturday delivery since (insert date here). (Don't remember.)

I don't perceive anything Earth-shattering to result if you give the letter carriers the week-end off. But Tuesdays would blow chunks, IMHO.

ucfgrad93
Jan 28, 2009, 04:12 PM
Cutting back Saturday delivery wouldn't be too bad.

GSMiller
Jan 28, 2009, 04:33 PM
They already get off practically every other Monday for a federal holiday, isn't that enough?

If they do this I will stop buying from merchants who ship their goods through USPS.

PlaceofDis
Jan 28, 2009, 04:35 PM
They already get off practically every other Monday for a federal holiday, isn't that enough?

If they do this I will stop buying from merchants who ship their goods through USPS.

really? one day matters that much?
/bewildered.

Eidorian
Jan 28, 2009, 04:46 PM
I need my Saturday delivery of Priority Mail. It's the biggest reason I pick the USPS over others.

GSMiller
Jan 28, 2009, 04:47 PM
really? one day matters that much?
/bewildered.

Why pay more for a service that's slower?

rdowns
Jan 28, 2009, 04:49 PM
Cutting out Saturday delivery probably wouldn't save them that much since they don't deliver to offices on Saturday. With less traffic, they likely deliver much more quickly on Saturday. Cutting out a day during the week would save them a lot more.

Tuesday wouldn't work because of 3 day weekends (that would mean businesses wouldn't get delivery for 4 days). Give them hump day off.

PlaceofDis
Jan 28, 2009, 04:53 PM
Cutting out Saturday delivery probably wouldn't save them that much since they don't deliver to offices on Saturday. With less traffic, they likely deliver much more quickly on Saturday. Cutting out a day during the week would save them a lot more.

Tuesday wouldn't work because of 3 day weekends (that would mean businesses wouldn't get delivery for 4 days). Give them hump day off.

they deliver to our office on saturday??

perhaps mondays would be the best. who knows. but i certainly see no reason to hold onto a six day delivery schedule.

i understand the desire for weekend delivery for some people. but UPS does offer it i know. and as for pricing afaik USPS is far cheaper with their flat rate shipping than UPS or FedEx any day.

iJohnHenry
Jan 28, 2009, 04:59 PM
Mondays sounds like a good solution. Give them a 2-day week-end, and, in case of stat Monday holidays, they could schedule the make-up day so as not to interrupt normal deliveries.

Gray-Wolf
Jan 28, 2009, 07:52 PM
They don't realize that every time they slap the american people in the face like this, we tend to take our business else where. Paying bills on line rather than mail ing it in and such.

How about cutting benefits to the carriers. Getting 6-7 weeks vacation a year is a bit much.

hayduke
Jan 28, 2009, 08:01 PM
Once a week would be fine. Anything that needs to go faster or on a special day would incur an overage fee. All I get most days is junk mail. I love the intertubes...

iJohnHenry
Jan 28, 2009, 08:05 PM
They don't realize that every time they slap the american people in the face like this, we tend to take our business else where. Paying bills on line rather than mail ing it in and such.

How about cutting benefits to the carriers. Getting 6-7 weeks vacation a year is a bit much.

So, you would be willing to work 6 days a week, assuming that you don't already.

Unspeaked
Jan 29, 2009, 10:19 AM
So, you would be willing to work 6 days a week, assuming that you don't already.

I'm sure many MacRumors members work at places that are open 7 days a week, but that doesn't mean they work 7 days a week.

I'm sure the vast majority of US Postal workers do 5 day weeks.

Gaelic2
Jan 29, 2009, 10:48 AM
Oh no!!! I'll have to wait out a whole weekend for my junk mail, misc ads for stuff I'd never buy and bills. Whatever will I do????:confused:

mkrishnan
Jan 29, 2009, 10:52 AM
that said... i do not see the benefit of cutting out a day besides saturday simply for logistic purposes. talk about confusion...

In some ways, I would actually prefer if they did cut out a day other than Saturday, if they had to cut. Right now, they're one of the major options to receive things like packages on Saturday, and Saturday is the only day I'm even remotely likely to be home when the mail comes.

The postal service is great, and I support them in wanting to get their budget balanced. I'd prefer if they could keep six days, though. We'll see....

iBlue
Jan 29, 2009, 10:56 AM
Tuesday. LOL!

In seriousness, it can't be that big of a deal to have a postal delivery day cut out, right?

Scooterman1
Jan 29, 2009, 11:12 AM
If he can't manage what he was hired to do, then get someone who can. It's been done in the past. The rest of the corporate world does it all of the time. I'm a retired Postal Worker. He also asked that Congress allow them to change the Postal Services sharing formula for Retired Health Benefits. Work for a company for 38 years, and then they want to tell you that what we promised, we no longer want to do. They want to take the best of the quasi-government that suits them, and ignore the ones that don't.

They don't get 6-7 weeks vacation per year. The most they can get after 15 yrs employment, is 26 days, or 8 hrs. per 80 hour pay period. And it takes 15 years to build up to that.

tobefirst
Jan 29, 2009, 11:34 AM
One of the main things keeping the post office alive is all the bulk mail. I'd sure like to see that one less day a week, but I'd really rather opt out of it altogether. Too bad there is no way to do that.

As it is, I see no problem with cutting delivery days to 5 days...except that would likely mean thousands of more jobs lost. ):

Mousse
Jan 29, 2009, 11:56 AM
it can't be that big of a deal to have a postal delivery day cut out, right?

This is a real boon to us debt dodgers with our traditional battle cry, "The check is in the mail.":D:D:p:o

Unspeaked
Jan 29, 2009, 12:13 PM
Somewhat ironically, Netflix announced yesterday that they were going to start shipping out DVDs on Saturdays (up until now, they've only shipped out M-F) to help get discs to customers faster.

Now they come to find out they might not be able to - or lose a weekday instead and be back to 5 shipping days.

Rt&Dzine
Jan 29, 2009, 12:40 PM
Why pay more for a service that's slower?

More? It's usually less.

IJ Reilly
Jan 29, 2009, 12:48 PM
For those who are interested in the history of these things, the US Post Office delivered mail twice daily until 1950. The same was true in the UK until quite recently I believe, but it seems the Post Office in Britain is also now talking about eliminating Saturday service. The volume of paper mail has dropped so substantially, it's virtually inevitable.

GoCubsGo
Jan 29, 2009, 12:50 PM
Honestly, if reducing post days from 6 to 5 allows workers to keep their jobs then I fully support it. I can wait an extra day for my bills to arrive.

DarthTreydor
Jan 29, 2009, 01:42 PM
i thoroughly support the idea. it's much better for the environment to get those gas guzzling mail trucks off the road another day of the week. i do think it should be saturday that gets cut however. c'mon, who wants to work on a saturday (coming from someone who does work saturdays)?

GSMiller
Jan 29, 2009, 02:10 PM
More? It's usually less.

For very small items, yes, but when I ordered my MacBook the guy used USPS to ship it and it costed about $50. Last week, I had to ship my iMac (easily weighs 3x as much as a MacBook) through FedEx and it was only about $20.

Unspeaked
Jan 29, 2009, 02:36 PM
For those who are interested in the history of these things, the US Post Office delivered mail twice daily until 1950. The same was true in the UK until quite recently I believe, but it seems the Post Office in Britain is also now talking about eliminating Saturday service. The volume of paper mail has dropped so substantially, it's virtually inevitable.

I may be wrong about this, but I thought the US postal service was at an all-time high for volume of mail delivered. That's why I was always surprised when I'd hear reports of how much money they're losing.

I think it was attributed to the increase in bulk (junk) mail and a sharp increase on packages (courtesy of eBay, Amazon and other online shopping sites) over the past several years.

For very small items, yes, but when I ordered my MacBook the guy used USPS to ship it and it costed about $50. Last week, I had to ship my iMac (easily weighs 3x as much as a MacBook) through FedEx and it was only about $20.

No, even very large items ship for next to nothing when using media and other "slow" options - options commercial carriers don't offer (for example, sending 6 or 7 hardcover books would probably cost well over $10 with UPS Ground, but only a couple of bucks with USPS Media).

Also, international shipping is usually less (even for packages) with USPS versus the others - although it can be argued that it's much safer to go with one of the competitors as they offer tracking services, and those increase the price of USPS international shipping significantly.

But you're right, the main advantage of the post office is for mailing letters and small items, and that's a hole that I doubt UPS or FedEx are eager to fill.

Still, the fact remains that for anyone looking to ship something - large or small, domestically or international - for as cheaply as possible, no one rivals the US postal service.

(Also, the figures you're quoting for the iMac and MacBook are surely for FedEx Ground (or at best 3 Day) versus USPS Priority Mail, not really the same tiers of service...)

IJ Reilly
Jan 29, 2009, 03:01 PM
I may be wrong about this, but I thought the US postal service was at an all-time high for volume of mail delivered. That's why I was always surprised when I'd hear reports of how much money they're losing.

I think it was attributed to the increase in bulk (junk) mail and a sharp increase on packages (courtesy of eBay, Amazon and other online shopping sites) over the past several years.

Potter attributed the Postal Service's $2.8 billion debt at the end of fiscal 2008 to decreased mail volume and higher costs. The service has been hit hard by an increase in e-mail usage. Mail volume dropped by 4.5%, or more than 9 billion items, last year, to about 202 billion items, according to the service.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-post-office29-2009jan29,0,373829.story

Unspeaked
Jan 29, 2009, 03:34 PM
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-post-office29-2009jan29,0,373829.story

Thanks for the link... So things are even worse than I thought!

Antares
Jan 29, 2009, 04:57 PM
I wouldn't want Saturday delivery cut. Cutting one of the weekdays would be better. If Saturday is cut, we would then have two consecutive days without mail delivery....which would be a major inconvenience. Not to mention, Saturday is the only day that many people can actually get into a post office, if they need to. Personally, the post office is not open yet when I leave for work in the morning and already closed by the time I get out of work. Unless I try trudging to one during lunch, I and many others would be SOL (especially people who don't have cars).

rdowns
Jan 29, 2009, 05:05 PM
They are not talking about closing post offices on Saturday. This is strictly mail delivery.

What I find interesting is finding all the 'digital' people here who are still so tied to the US Mail.

trule
Jan 29, 2009, 05:30 PM
from this link one gets the impression that the USPS is just after a bail out...of one kind or another.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/28/news/economy/postal_service/index.htm

simple solution is to raise the price of a stamp :eek:

but its just so much easier to have the Feds borrow the money from China and give it to the USPS, then debase the currency, and then no one has to pay extra for a stamp...the only problem is the Feds want to borrow so much that not even China has enough to lend...which means the only solution is for the price of a stamp to go up :D

Unspeaked
Jan 29, 2009, 05:39 PM
simple solution is to raise the price of a stamp :eek:

Yeah, just raise first class to $1 and be done with it. If that's not enough to get them in the black, they need some massive layoffs (starting with the Postmaster General).

IJ Reilly
Jan 29, 2009, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the link... So things are even worse than I thought!

Aren't they always?

iJohnHenry
Jan 29, 2009, 06:15 PM
Joe Public is greedy beyond belief.

$1 to deliver a letter is dirt cheap.

donga
Jan 29, 2009, 06:23 PM
i don't think you guys understand first class postage.

one thing is that legally it can't be raised any higher than last year's Consumer Price Index (3.8%) which is about 2 cents.

another thing is that business that are looking to keep people employed while keeping costs low would take a huge hit if it was raised to one dollar. Just because you can afford to send a snail mail letter for a dollar every once in a hilwe doesn't mean a business can afford to do that every month. businesses would certainly look to other means (email, etc.) besides mail, which would in turn mean even less revenue for USPS, etc.

donga
Jan 29, 2009, 06:25 PM
I wouldn't want Saturday delivery cut. Cutting one of the weekdays would be better. If Saturday is cut, we would then have two consecutive days without mail delivery....which would be a major inconvenience. Not to mention, Saturday is the only day that many people can actually get into a post office, if they need to. Personally, the post office is not open yet when I leave for work in the morning and already closed by the time I get out of work. Unless I try trudging to one during lunch, I and many others would be SOL (especially people who don't have cars).

I think they were proposing Tuesday as the day because it has the lowest volume. Most people pick up/send their mail on Mondays after the weekend and then Tuesdays tend to be a little slower. They'd keep Saturdays for the reasons you mentioned.

iJohnHenry
Jan 29, 2009, 07:14 PM
businesses would certainly look to other means (email, etc.) besides mail, which would in turn mean even less revenue for USPS, etc.

They keep trying that, but I resist.

I want paper, and that's the end of it.

Pass the extra costs on to me. That's fine. Let the user pay.

trule
Jan 30, 2009, 04:25 AM
i don't think you guys understand first class postage.

one thing is that legally it can't be raised any higher than last year's Consumer Price Index (3.8%) which is about 2 cents.

another thing is that business that are looking to keep people employed while keeping costs low would take a huge hit if it was raised to one dollar. Just because you can afford to send a snail mail letter for a dollar every once in a hilwe doesn't mean a business can afford to do that every month. businesses would certainly look to other means (email, etc.) besides mail, which would in turn mean even less revenue for USPS, etc.

Well, who is going to pay for the shortfall then? This is why the US is going broke, people don't seem to think they should have to pay full price for anything.

Laws, by their nature, can be changed.

Raising the price by 2 cents would fix the problem...however the USPS *really* wants to cut health benefit payments, and funny enough the Democrats want to introduce a federal/state run health system. Now, I don't want to comment that such a thing would be good or bad but you can see that a bigger game is being played here.

The even bigger question is where the Fed's think the are going to get the money for all of this?

thebassoonist
Jan 30, 2009, 04:32 AM
I think that this is a pretty good idea. But perhaps I am biased, because I receive little to no mail every day. Ha ha.

Unspeaked
Jan 30, 2009, 10:20 AM
i don't think you guys understand first class postage...

So what do they want, low margin and high volume or high margin and low volume?

Because it looks like they can't have it both ways.

Look, if what you say is right about postage being tied to the CPI (which I'm sure is true) then all it tells me is the USPS can't thrive even in a rigged system. By design, they have a monopoly on high volume bulk mail and small items like letters and they still can't make a profit?

Why not get rid of all these restrictions and let them see how they do in a truly free market? If $1 is too much for business to pay to send out their unwanted junk mail, then they should stop sending it. If $1 is too much for business to send out hard copies of documents, then (as another poster said) they should pass that cost onto the customers that want the service. If neither of these flies, then there's clearly something wrong with the system and maybe the USPS should not exist, or be completely overhauled into a different beast.

Even if it were to go away entirely, the existing carriers (or even a private startup) would fill in the gaps if there's truly a need or demand from the public - if there's a profit to be made. If not, then the entire concept of low cost, high volume mail must be inherently flawed.

But I truly doubt this. I'm sure the right person at the helm with the proper reorganization could have the United States Postal Service pulling in a profit in no time.

Scooterman1
Jan 30, 2009, 10:58 AM
Potter can make statements that, either aren't completely true, or completely leave out other important things. Mail Volume figures have been manipulated in the past. He says that he's put a freeze on raises. Well, the Supervisors yearly raises are geared on production on a personal, District, and National formula. What he isn't mentioning, is the Bonuses that are given out mostly yearly. And believe me, upper Management gets BIG ones. Another thing is that if they go to 5 day delivery, they have more workers available. The workers are now on staggered days off. If they all have the same days off each week, they then have more workers, so they can fire more people, lay them off, of let them go due to attrition. Email has been present for years now. It did not take a jump that big in one year. The fuel crunch hit everyone, but he's not blaming that. IMHO, I think he has another agenda. If he can get Congress to start making more different rules for the USPS than the quasi-government rules they now have to follow, it opens up the door for privatization. If that happens, we will lose the one thing that protects the privacy of our First Class Mail. The laws that prohibit people from opening it, AND making theft so much easier if it's handled by Private companies. Also, the past projections say that the price of First Class Postage will climb through the roof. Look at the postage in other countries. Also, the delivery time. Brazil privatized and none of the companies operate the same from company to company. It takes ages to move a letter, or package.
At the same time, NO other company in the U.S. is able to deliver to the Rural Addresses for the same amount of postage. No one is set up for that. Could you see FedEx or UPS delivering a letter in the country, or anywhere else for $.42? The Bulk Mail is what keeps the cost of First Class down. But they need to continue the service which they already have.

JoeG4
Feb 1, 2009, 09:41 PM
perhaps mondays would be the best. who knows. but i certainly see no reason to hold onto a six day delivery schedule.

Easy one: Public jobs. Every *@%# public office I call seems to NOT DO ANYTHING Friday because "it's almost the weekend", Monday because "that was a hard weekend", and Wednesday because "we have lots of meetings".
:D

They could just cut them down to 1 day a week *shudder*

Edit: You should see what our bankrupt town did, when you dial the non-emergency number for the police department you get an answering machine. Not bad for a city with 120,000 people! I've had to leave a message on it before, and got a canned response about 2 weeks later! *UGH*

Double Edit: I think USPS should deliver all 7 days of the week, period, and not charge extra for it.

alexlovesmacs
Feb 2, 2009, 01:25 AM
They should eliminate the USPS and our bills will be sent by email, all my bills are delivered by email.

SilvorX
Feb 2, 2009, 02:30 AM
In Canada it runs on a 5 day schedule for mail and we live fine with it. Hell won't be breaking loose if mail isn't delivered on saturdays. The idea of mail being delivered on a saturday is just weird to me. Many post offices still operate on saturdays (and even sundays), but the actual transport doesn't occur during that period.

But that's just a Canadian's perspective. Things are obviously somewhat different down in the USA ;)

Chundles
Feb 2, 2009, 02:35 AM
In Canada it runs on a 5 day schedule for mail and we live fine with it. Hell won't be breaking loose if mail isn't delivered on saturdays. The idea of mail being delivered on a saturday is just weird to me. Many post offices still operate on saturdays (and even sundays), but the actual transport doesn't occur during that period.

But that's just a Canadian's perspective. Things are obviously somewhat different down in the USA ;)

Same here, there are no deliveries, be they Australia Post or private courier on weekends.

Nobody gives a toss.

it5five
Feb 4, 2009, 06:02 PM
Potter can make statements that, either aren't completely true, or completely leave out other important things. Mail Volume figures have been manipulated in the past. He says that he's put a freeze on raises. Well, the Supervisors yearly raises are geared on production on a personal, District, and National formula. What he isn't mentioning, is the Bonuses that are given out mostly yearly. And believe me, upper Management gets BIG ones. Another thing is that if they go to 5 day delivery, they have more workers available. The workers are now on staggered days off. If they all have the same days off each week, they then have more workers, so they can fire more people, lay them off, of let them go due to attrition. Email has been present for years now. It did not take a jump that big in one year. The fuel crunch hit everyone, but he's not blaming that. IMHO, I think he has another agenda. If he can get Congress to start making more different rules for the USPS than the quasi-government rules they now have to follow, it opens up the door for privatization. If that happens, we will lose the one thing that protects the privacy of our First Class Mail. The laws that prohibit people from opening it, AND making theft so much easier if it's handled by Private companies. Also, the past projections say that the price of First Class Postage will climb through the roof. Look at the postage in other countries. Also, the delivery time. Brazil privatized and none of the companies operate the same from company to company. It takes ages to move a letter, or package.
At the same time, NO other company in the U.S. is able to deliver to the Rural Addresses for the same amount of postage. No one is set up for that. Could you see FedEx or UPS delivering a letter in the country, or anywhere else for $.42? The Bulk Mail is what keeps the cost of First Class down. But they need to continue the service which they already have.

Agreed. I'm a current USPS employee (I noticed you said you were retired), and I agree. Potter has been pushing privatization for a while now. We've had a lot of routes going contract/private in the Phoenix area as I'm sure it's happening all over the country, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is just another excuse for him to cut postal jobs. They have also been trying to push early retirement onto a lot of folks recently. I guess it didn't work.

Oh, and to the poster that thinks we get 8 weeks of vacation a year: I wish.

MacNut
Feb 4, 2009, 11:21 PM
They should eliminate the USPS and our bills will be sent by email, all my bills are delivered by email.Contrary to belief but some people don't have email. And how do you send a package through the internet?

DiamondMac
Feb 7, 2009, 10:04 PM
Eh, it probably wouldn't do too much of a hassle for me as I use UPS/FedEx for most documents because of the sheer stupidity of USPS workers and pathetic way they handle important packages.

Unspeaked
Feb 10, 2009, 03:05 PM
LINK (http://blog.shoeboxed.com/usps-jacks-up-price-of-first-class-mail-stamps/939/)

USPS Jacks Up Price of First-Class Mail Stamps

By DAN ENGLANDER

The United States Postal service announced price hikes for mailing services today, including a 2-cent increase in the price of a First-Class Mail stamp. Those stamps will be 44 cents with the price increase.

The changes will go into effect on May 11, which is in line with the annual review of postal mailing prices that are adjusted each may. The Postal Service estimates that this will cost the average household approximately $3 more per year for postage. In the statement released today, they made no estimation for how much this might effect small business or enterprise-level customers of the Postal Service.

“Whether you’re a consumer or run a business, the Postal Service continues to offer a good deal during a time when we’re all looking for ways to save,” said Stephen M. Kearney, senior vice president for customer relations in a statement. “Our range of shipping and mailing options and low prices make the Postal Service the smart and easy choice.”

Those wishing to get past the price increase may purchase Forever Stamps between now and May 10, which will be the same price as current First Class stamps, but will be usable when the price increase goes into effect on May 11. The USPS will likely issue 2 cent stamps for those with extra 42-cent stamps, as the Forever Stamps may not be that economical after all.

The Postal Service did not announce any additional mailing price increases today, but did note that the 17-cent additional ounce price for First Class Mail will remain in place, unchanged.

Eidorian
Feb 10, 2009, 03:13 PM
I only buy Forever stamps so it doesn't bug me. I still have plenty of them left.

Doctor Q
Feb 10, 2009, 03:17 PM
They should cut out the day that they bring the junk mail.

Wait, I changed my mind. They should skip the day that the bills come!

Seriously, if I were in charge I'd simply raise the price, yet again, and not cut service, but it's not going to have a huge effect either way.

Unspeaked
Feb 10, 2009, 03:19 PM
They should cut out the day that they bring the junk mail.

Wait, I changed my mind. They should skip the day that the bills come!

Seriously, if I were in charge I'd simply raise the price, yet again, and not cut service, but it's not going to have a huge effect either way.

I think the service cut is an idle threat, but (as they've already proven) the price increases are very real.