Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Not bad. I'm giving my replacement switcheasy one last try and then I'm moving onto greener pastures. ;)

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
well they do have black and white for non-color fans.

I looked but it did not mention anywhere how that case installs. Is it like a slider or does it snap?

genetic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
no it does not snap. its a silicon case, it just fits around the back of the phone. i had the regular white one, it fit perfectly, very tight on the phone.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
I'm getting that case in black. I wonder if it will fit with a best skin evet on the back of my phone. They are silicone but not the sticky floppy kind. These have minimal bend with a hard glossy exterior.

dauerhippo

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Ferris,

I can tell you with certainty that the solo DOES fit with the IS. I've used it with IS and now BSE. It works great.

Miker2k

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2009
Kind of spendy but I'm about to give up on my Capsule Neo...... I'll keep this one in mind.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
20.00 bucks I think is pretty cheap.

The case will scratch far less than any hard plastic, it will absorb shock better than hard plastic, and is easy to put in and take out. It also comes with a vanity kit.

I ditched my Neo a while ago, it is nice and great protection, but just too bulky for me. Currently I go naked with a best skin ever on the back but will use the Iskin when I use my phone at the gym.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
to it appears to be of the same or similar build as a more-thing HEX or Diamond series case.

I do find this one interesting, i'd like to hear what people think when they get theirs.

$20??? i see it for $29 and $32 FX

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
Got my black Iskin solo today, came fast as hell from aps pro store. This case is great. Excellent fit, feels slim and it's nice having a gloss black case that doesn't really scratch. This is my new favorite case, I didn't think my slider would be replaced.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Got my black Iskin solo today, came fast as hell from aps pro store. This case is great. Excellent fit, feels slim and it's nice having a gloss black case that doesn't really scratch. This is my new favorite case, I didn't think my slider would be replaced.

Pics if you can post is Ferris, that would be great! I can't seem to figure out the image at the aps pro store, there's like 2 line's at the back in a V-shape - what's that? So it's a silicon case which has a glossy color?

Chris Welch

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
New York
It's not silicon. It's a flexible type of soft plastic.

The most common complaint with the Solo case is that the headphone opening is somewhat misaligned.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
It's not silicon. It's a flexible type of soft plastic.

The most common complaint with the Solo case is that the headphone opening is somewhat misaligned.

It's not misaligned, it is cut to allow for L shaped headphones.

c4sp14nx

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2008
Pictures of iSkin Solo FX

Hi all,

I received my Solo FX from iSkin on Tuesday, and wanted to share some pictures. I've previously owned the SwitchEasy CapsuleNeo and the DLO HybridShell, and I'd say this case from iSkin is my favorite of the three.

The case is made from very flexible plastics, which has more of a "rubbery" feel but can't really be placed into the same group of cases as those made from silicone. If you've owned a SwitchEasy Rebel or Neo, imagine this case as a cross between the hard plastic and the soft condom: it holds its shape well but is extremely flexible. The construction quality is very nice and the fit is very tight. On the Solo FX, the design on the back is subtle and very nice.

A few observations:

1.) the tight fit of the case is nice insofar as very minimal bulk is added to the iPhone, but the downside is that the cut-outs for the headphone jack and camera can get stretched in such a way that they look mis-cut. Massaging the case to adjust the fit seems to fix the issue, as suggested in the included directions.

2.) the thin piece of plastic which covers the bezel at the bottom of the phone (but doesn't wrap around the phone due to a cut-out for speakers and port at the bottom) tends to get caught on its way into and out of my pocket, making me scared its going to tear off pretty soon. Maybe not -- the material seems nice -- but it still gives me a start whenever it happens.

3.) The power button, in particular, seems to offer very little tactile feedback when using this case. For whatever reason the volume controls seem to be better in this regard, even though they are also covered in the plastic case. I'm not too concerned about this -- I'd rather have the buttons protected, and as long as they still work I'm not unhappy -- but this may be a deal breaker for some folks.

I ordered the "Breeze" (blue) version of the Solo FX, which in-person looks to be a slightly greener shade of blue than the marketing photos would suggest. It still looks nice, in my opinion, but the photos on iSkin.com definitely are not representative of the actual color. Photos follow -- I apologize in advance that I am not a better photographer! By the way, the photos don't show the included "mirrored screen protector" because I hate it. I'm using the PS anti-glare and have no plans to change.

If anyone has any other questions about this case, I'd be glad to answer them.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 200
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 227
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 186

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
Well it does not seem to bad, could use a few tweaks. I do like the semi transparent look of the back. Your phone is white i noticed, the colors will appear different with a white vs. black phone, however i believe the pics on their site are not so "true" to the actual tone.

I think i am going to hold off on this one for a bit since i just got a candy shell which has the same "hard" buttons but they do still work.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
What tweaks does this case need?

To be honest, I think it is perfect for those looking for a non slider, slim profile and glossy finish that breaks away from the hard plastic mold.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
What tweaks does this case need?

To be honest, I think it is perfect for those looking for a non slider, slim profile and glossy finish that breaks away from the hard plastic mold.

well from c4sp14nx's thoughts....

-cutouts could be slightly better (but working the material seems to fix that)
-the bottom strip that is part of the speaker/mic cut out could stretch/pull/tear/break
-being on the thin side, i think they could have just cut the sleep and volume rocker, instead you get a hard non-tactile button.

messaging the material might suggest that the material would loose shape, hard to tell without testing how much it will hold.

I think it's a good case, dont get me wrong...but i am just not sure if i am sold on it.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
-cutouts could be slightly better - Yeah, it's a non issue. When the case is on even, the holes are how they should be. The headphone jack hole is larger for L shaped headphone plugs.

-the bottom strip that is part of the speaker/mic cut out could stretch/pull/tear/break- It is actually pretty thick because it curves down to cover the bottom. It isn't just a flat piece that covers the chrome, it actually bends down to cover some of the plastic. In all honesty, (and I think he would admit this) he is being paranoid, it isn't going to break. That piece is actually quite thick.

-being on the thin side, i think they could have just cut the sleep and volume rocker, instead you get a hard non-tactile button. It is thin, but it's not that thin. The buttons actually aren't hard, in fact after a few uses they move quite easily. Without the covers, it would be a little reach to access the buttons. I guess one could take a razor to the case and take care of the button covers. However I find them very easy to use, easier than say a Capsule Rebel.

messaging the material might suggest that the material would loose shape, hard to tell without testing how much it will hold. - This stuff is like a rubber plastic, it isn't going to stretch. I owned a Marware case just like this and beat the hell out of it and it never lost shape. When people say they message it into place, literally it is a slight push, it's not like you have to work the material into place. At least I haven't had to.

I'm not trying to sound like a fanboy for this case by any means, but really these are all non issues, just concerns that some people have for no reason.

c4sp14nx

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2008
I just want to quickly clarify my earlier comments in light of the dialogue that followed them.

It's important to understand the context in which I was being critical of the case, that being that this is my favorite case to date but acknowledging that it is not perfect. Then again, no case has been "perfect" yet...but this one's not too far of the mark for me.

To address a few specific concerns:

-cutouts could be slightly better - Yeah, it's a non issue. When the case is on even, the holes are how they should be. The headphone jack hole is larger for L shaped headphone plugs.

The holes are cut properly and the case fits well. The material the case is made from is a bit "grabby" -- that is, it clings some to the phone and, because the case is flexible, the holes can initially get pulled into an elongated shape that may appear like they were mis-cut. They aren't, and taking some care to adjust placement of the case fixes the issue.

-the bottom strip that is part of the speaker/mic cut out could stretch/pull/tear/break- It is actually pretty thick because it curves down to cover the bottom. It isn't just a flat piece that covers the chrome, it actually bends down to cover some of the plastic. In all honesty, (and I think he would admit this) he is being paranoid, it isn't going to break. That piece is actually quite thick.

Looking at my phone, this bottom strip starts at about 1mm from the top of the bezel at the bottom of the phone, and covers the bezel as it curves toward the bottom. This is by necessity...the dock port, speaker, and mic need to be left uncovered...and I am being paranoid. This area is the weak point on most case designs and is where my Capsule Neo broke entirely off.

-being on the thin side, i think they could have just cut the sleep and volume rocker, instead you get a hard non-tactile button. It is thin, but it's not that thin. The buttons actually aren't hard, in fact after a few uses they move quite easily. Without the covers, it would be a little reach to access the buttons. I guess one could take a razor to the case and take care of the button covers. However I find them very easy to use, easier than say a Capsule Rebel.

This is really a very minor issue, and I only mentioned it at all because I know some folks have previously expressed disappointment (with other cases) regarding lack of tactile feedback. In this regard, my old Capsule Neo bested this current case, but the issue isn't bad...and the buttons may well "soften" over time...I don't know.

messaging the material might suggest that the material would loose shape, hard to tell without testing how much it will hold. - This stuff is like a rubber plastic, it isn't going to stretch. I owned a Marware case just like this and beat the hell out of it and it never lost shape. When people say they message it into place, literally it is a slight push, it's not like you have to work the material into place. At least I haven't had to.

Massaging the case doesn't stretch it out or soften it...it really just allows minor adjustments to the placement due to the "grab" of the material. I don't think this will be an issue.

I'm not trying to sound like a fanboy for this case by any means, but really these are all non issues, just concerns that some people have for no reason.

Same here. Glad to answer any questions, though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.