Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
1) speed bump/new features in the current G4 laptops?

2) a dual G4 processor model(s)?

3) G5 laptop?

thoughts?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Re: what do you think will happen with apple laptops this spring?

---

Expect some problems with yield during the .09 transition, seems Apple is about due for their next MHz drought -- wounder how long it'll last.
attachment.php

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
I read this in Forbes earlier today:
The reason Apple hasn't updated the product line is simply because they are clearing stock. Once all the laptop stock is gone, they will drop the iBook and the PowerBook and exclusively produce desktops. "Laptops are for PC users," said Apple CEO Steve Jobs said, "Apple needs to concentrate on creating an amazing line of desktop computers. If people want a laptop, I hear IBM's Thinkpad is pretty darn good!"

Please note: The above text is a joke.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....I suspect we may see a slight speed-bump of the G4 Powerbooks very soon, then the G5 'books in the fall...just my guess anyway....oh yeah!

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says....I suspect we may see a slight speed-bump of the G4 Powerbooks very soon, then the G5 'books in the fall...just my guess anyway....oh yeah!

I think it's probably more likely that Apple will go another 3-4 months with the current line-up and then put out the PowerBook G5. They went that long with the last generation of 15" TiBooks, and I could see them waiting that long again. Plus, I just don't see the point speed-bumping the current line to 1.5 GHz when the G5 is so close. Who would buy it when it's obvious that the G5 must be coming to the pro laptops soon. I just hope that all of this happens soon, because Apple also needs to update the iBook soon. Come to think of it, they also need to update the PowerMac and the eMac, too...

Opteron

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2004
South Australia
The G5 is a must, AMD has 64-bit chips in laptops (at very reasonable prices)
Warrior-NT.gif
(I'll be getting one of these)

The G4 is dieing, I WANT IT DEAD

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
jefhatfield said:

3) G5 laptop?

thoughts?

Spring, USA spring...mmm...I suspect minor G4 upgrade. No way a dual.
G5, not until at least Summer unless they are working miracles.

I want my G5PB! :mad:

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
aswitcher said:
Spring, USA spring...mmm...I suspect minor G4 upgrade. No way a dual.
G5, not until at least Summer unless they are working miracles.

I want my G5PB! :mad:

working miracles is something apple does from time to time...imac, ibook, osx, tibook, G5

if they did it more, they would catch the pc world in terms of speed and price

that being said, i think the 12" inch powerbook is a great machine dollar for dollar and it's light and thin

if not this spring, then perhaps summer sometime...i can't imagine waiting until christmas season

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'm expecting a new G4 PB sometime after 27/3. Possibly on 30/3 because it's a Tuesday ;)

Edit: Forgot my justification. There are several promotions expiring on the 27th (cheap memory upgrades in the US, $99 iPods in NZ, and something in Australia too IIRC).

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
We'll probably see a speed bump for the current line up in April or early May. The specs could look like this:

12"
1 GHz G4 (or 1.25, if feasible heatwise)
256 MB RAM
60 GB HD
64 MB MB ATi Radeon 9600
Airport Extreme ready
Combo or Superdrive

15"
1.25 GHz G4
512 MB RAM
60 GB HD
64 MB ATi Radeon 9700
Airport Extreme ready
Combo
Backlit keyboard optional

15"
1.33 GHz G4
512 MB RAM
80 GB HD
128 MB ATi Radeon 9700
Airport Extreme built-in
Superdrive
Backlit keyboard

17" 1.42 GHz G4
512 MB RAM
80 GB HD
128 MB ATi Radeon 9700
Airport Extreme built-in
Superdrive
Backlit keyboard

Prices: same for the 12", $100-300 less for the other models.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Zaty said:
We'll probably see a speed bump for the current line up in April or early May. The specs could look like this:

SNIP
17" 1.42 GHz G4
512 MB RAM
128 MB ATi Radeon 9700
Airport Extreme built-in
Superdrive
Backlit keyboard

Prices: same for the 12", $100-300 less for the other models.

This would be a nice line up, but a G5 chip would make it excellent. Four RAM slots to boot.

An OEM deal with the new Office package would also help them compete with the PC laptop market - who all support cheap Office packages...

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
win_convert said:
What do you think that the price drop will be on the current model PBooks when the new ones came out.

Hard to say as I am new to Macs. It maybe that G5s are signficantly more expensive and the G4s only drop say 10%. It maybe that sales and deals try to run them out before the G5PBs appear to clear inventory lines...

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
The G4 is fine for the powerbooks until a more powerful mobile G5 cpu is available. It is probably just another year to 18 months before a killer G5 powerbook is available. Use a desktop G5 or G5 imac for your heavy processing tasks and use your powerbook for lighter tasks. PC laptops aren't that fast compared to PC desktops and they tend to be larger and have a noisy fan. I would rather have a sleek powerbook that is reliable and quiet and at least as powerful as a eMac at a price under $2,000. Good enough for general tasks.

Opteron

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2004
South Australia
BornAgainMac said:
The G4 is fine for the powerbooks until a more powerful mobile G5 cpu is available. It is probably just another year to 18 months before a killer G5 powerbook is available. Use a desktop G5 or G5 imac for your heavy processing tasks and use your powerbook for lighter tasks. PC laptops aren't that fast compared to PC desktops and they tend to be larger and have a noisy fan. I would rather have a sleek powerbook that is reliable and quiet and at least as powerful as a eMac at a price under $2,000. Good enough for general tasks.

I think your talking about an iBook.
The PB is supposed t be for "power" users. The G5 is a must.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
jefhatfield said:

3) G5 laptop?

thoughts?

I think you'll just see a speed bump in the G4 processor. It will probably be to 1.5 GHz with the 200 MHz FSB. A G5 PowerBook is out of the question for now even though many hope for it. The G5 produces way too much heat, and uses too much power right now. If you don't believe it uses that much heat...just look at the size of the heatsink on the PowerMac G5. Its basically as tall as the PowerMac is wide. I'm betting you won't see a G5 laptop until very late this year or early next year (MWSF '05).

The 15" and 17" laptops will probably run at 1.5 GHz while the 12" PowerBook will run at 1.33 GHz.

The iBook might see a slight speed bump up to maybe 1.25 GHz on the higher end with the lower end staying the same at 1 GHz.

When the PowerBook does go G5 then I think you'll see the iBook use this new G3 processor running at about the same speeds it has now, but with a 400 MHz FSB and Apple will just market it as the next generation G4. This chip should also be used in the eMac as well.

I just remembered Steve Jobs saying that we will see some cool new things with the G5 chip later this year! So maybe a G5 PowerBook is on the horizon, but I still think it won't be until very late this year, say late October early November.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.