PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer 5.2 on Monday


arn
Jun 15, 2002, 10:54 AM
Obzorg.org (http://www.obzorg.org/archives/00000051.shtml) reports that Internet Explorer 5.2 for Mac OS X will be released on Monday:

As expected, the update will add Quartz text smoothing for 10.1.5 as well as various security enhancements. There are no major feture changes, though. With this update, the real focus was on improving performance.

britboy
Jun 15, 2002, 11:55 AM
At least they're doing *something* right, by concentrating on speed for the time being. As it is, IE has more features than the other browsers i use (chimera and omniweb). All it lacks really is the speed. Mind you, a slightly better-looking interface wouldn't go amiss :)

theranch
Jun 15, 2002, 12:07 PM
I'd like to be able to click on a link that is a download without using my control key. Ever since upgrading to 5.1.4 I can't just click on a link in a page that is a "download link"....sucks. This even messes up any type of download link. It's such a pain in the A**.
-my 2 cents

edesignuk
Jun 15, 2002, 12:14 PM
I would like IE to have the ability to stop popups ( JavaScript:window.open() ) like OmniWeb and Mozilla without having to disable JavaScript all together.

billiam0878
Jun 15, 2002, 12:18 PM
A speed boost is good enough me!

Bill

Kid Red
Jun 15, 2002, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by theranch
I'd like to be able to click on a link that is a download without using my control key. Ever since upgrading to 5.1.4 I can't just click on a link in a page that is a "download link"....sucks. This even messes up any type of download link. It's such a pain in the A**.
-my 2 cents

mmm, no problems here doing this of course I have a 2 button mouse.

bretm
Jun 15, 2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by theranch
I'd like to be able to click on a link that is a download without using my control key. Ever since upgrading to 5.1.4 I can't just click on a link in a page that is a "download link"....sucks. This even messes up any type of download link. It's such a pain in the A**.
-my 2 cents

I've got no problem doing this at all. I click, it downloads. Are you OSX?

F/reW/re
Jun 15, 2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by theranch
I'd like to be able to click on a link that is a download without using my control key. Ever since upgrading to 5.1.4 I can't just click on a link in a page that is a "download link"....sucks. This even messes up any type of download link. It's such a pain in the A**.
-my 2 cents
Just "ALT"+"mouseclick" on the link and the download starts :)

rainman::|:|
Jun 15, 2002, 01:47 PM
normally i would be glad about this, but as X has been updated, IE has continued to get less stable on my machine. with 10.1.5, it's just horrible. It'd be nice if IE 5.2 would fix these bugs, hangs, and occasional crashes, but i'm not holding my breath. If this update doesn't make things better, i'm swearing off IE for good...

:)
pnw

Rower_CPU
Jun 15, 2002, 02:04 PM
Speed is the main issue for me.

Maybe someday we'll see a Mac browser with the speed of Chimera and the compatibility and features of Mozilla.

Choppaface
Jun 15, 2002, 02:06 PM
I'm still seeing mozilla a lot slower than IE, and IE is pretty slow to boot (compared to IE on an XP box). yay for any speed bumps they can push :D

Originally posted by theranch
I'd like to be able to click on a link that is a download without using my control key. Ever since upgrading to 5.1.4 I can't just click on a link in a page that is a "download link"....sucks. This even messes up any type of download link. It's such a pain in the A**.
-my 2 cents

hold down option and then click the link. the download will be added to the download manager without interrupting you by bringing that window to the front

Nebrie
Jun 15, 2002, 06:16 PM
That's because IE on XP loads when windows boots.

firewire2001
Jun 15, 2002, 06:18 PM
That's because IE on XP loads when windows boots.

not only that, but the browser is implemented into their system giving it higher cpu priority in addition to msoft knowing the os, allowing them to optimize the programs they write..

this is why they had the lawsuits a few years ago.. but thats besides the point..

sparkleytone
Jun 15, 2002, 06:24 PM
it may still be a very young browser, but chimera is coming along by leaps and bounds. not only are the developers adding more features and plugins to the mix, but it just keeps getting even faster than before. the latest nightlies are astounding me with their stability and speed. i predict the death of the popularity of IE for Mac in the coming months.

blackpeter
Jun 15, 2002, 06:27 PM
I'm looking forward to this update and having a better overall browsing experience.

I also look forward to Mozilla surpassing IE as the best Mac browser, but untill that day comes, I'm forced to wait for MS updates...

Nipsy
Jun 15, 2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by verbose101
I would like IE to have the ability to stop popups ( JavaScript:window.open() ) like OmniWeb and Mozilla without having to disable JavaScript all together.

You will probably NEVER see this in an M$ browser unless legislation orders it. M$ realize that they can make alot more moolah from marketing consortiums, than by giving you the feature you want in a free program.

Your options will probably continue to be:
Buy OmniWeb
Accept the clunky chrome of Mozilla

With that said, having walked away from IE about 4 months ago (when Mozilla got stable enough to be a day to day browser), I have only met 4 or 5 sites so poorly written that Mozilla couldn't handle them. Aside from a few quirky things (usually the fault of lazy developers) it is damn near perfect at page rendering, layout, and composition. With 10.1.5 and Silk, if can AA text for you as well.

I've found that Chimera is still a bit immature, but will probably take over as my main browser when it is finalized.

Omniweb, iCab, & Opera all seem to lack in at least one of the following:
speed
stability
compatibility

I'm glad to see Mozilla finally out, because I've been writing good code for the last two years as a matter of principle, while watching a lot of developers do things the M$ way. Now they're all in a scramble to make things right for the pending AOL/Mozilla release, and I'm thinking of a vacation.

eunuchs
Jun 15, 2002, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Nipsy

With 10.1.5 and Silk, if can AA text for you as well.

I've found that Chimera is still a bit immature, but will probably take over as my main browser when it is finalized.


FYI, Mozilla 1.1a was quietly released this week with a bunch of features that didn't make it into 1.0 - including AA on OS X and extras like a download manager.

Agreed on the Chimera comment. Moz is great but suffers from the Emacs syndrome. Chimera is like the vi (maybe vim) of browsers to continue the text editor analogy.

Until Chimera is feature-complete, I'll use Moz and be perfectly content. =)

IE needs to come up with some big new features/performance improvements to count me as a user again. Cocoa-fication and some real multithreading would be a start. A better renderer would be a plus too.

Nipsy
Jun 15, 2002, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by eunuchs

IE needs to come up with some big new features/performance improvements to count me as a user again. Cocoa-fication and some real multithreading would be a start. A better renderer would be a plus too.

I think I'm Mozilla for life unless IE incorporates tabbed browsing, and pop [up/under] control. I don't think either is likely.

Now I want a Mozilla theme with tiny buttons in the Navigation toolbar, and a smaller url bar, so that my total chrome is 2x the size of the tab bar.

Dare to dream...

MusicMan
Jun 15, 2002, 10:20 PM
Check out Low-Fi...it's a version of the Classic Skin (with some changes) that's the size you're talking about.

http://www.deskmod.com/?show=showskin&skin_id=9402

Just a thought.

Daniel

syntax
Jun 15, 2002, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by eunuchs


FYI, Mozilla 1.1a was quietly released this week with a bunch of features that didn't make it into 1.0 - including AA on OS X and extras like a download manager.



Just to clarify, AA, as in anti-aliasing, is already implemented in Moz, as it is in any Carbon app -- it just happens to be QuickDraw AA as opposed to the superior Quartz AA.

Rajj
Jun 16, 2002, 12:51 AM
All I can say is: about Goddamn time!! :cool:

Choppaface
Jun 16, 2002, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by firewire2001


not only that, but the browser is implemented into their system giving it higher cpu priority in addition to msoft knowing the os, allowing them to optimize the programs they write..

this is why they had the lawsuits a few years ago.. but thats besides the point..

ya but it would be a good goal for the devs....a fast IE that isnt bound to the OS

jtrascap
Jun 16, 2002, 03:48 AM
I gotta say first, I love Mozilla. I love the speed of Mozilla (especially on ./) I probably have to reset my preferences twice a week to go back to Mozilla from IE...and then I set it back.

I run on an iBook, 12" screen, and I love SlashDock...runs in the dock, let's me know when to run to ./, CNN, etc... but when one selects an article to read, IE loads it in the frontmost window and Mozilla creates a new window. This creates a huge amount of clutter on the smaller iBook screen.

This is the single-most annoying aspect of using Mozilla on the Mac. The economy of screen estate is wasted on Mozilla (this also points to another Moz-Mac shortcoming - no hotkey for minimal window gadgets, like they do on the PC (f9) or the CMD-B switch on IE - I guess all Moz designers work on 21" monitors!)

Give me 1) the ability to direct URLS into the existing frontmost window or a background tab, and 2) a cmd-key to hide any/all of the toolbar/options for the browsers.

Then you'll kill IE for nearly all users!

kainjow
Jun 16, 2002, 06:44 AM
Have you guys downloaded the latest version of Netscape (7 I think)? It's a lot faster then 6. But....I'm going to be hanging out with IE for a while now unless Mozilla/OmniWeb/Chimera come out with a complete browser. But, IE really is the best I think. Yeah, it's buggy, but, it just feels right. I hate switching to new browsers because they don't know what they're doing to my webpages! Mozilla/Netscape still take minutes to load the app, and just creating a new window takes like 5 minutes. If Mozilla cut out Composer and the built-in mail app, it could load soo much quicker, and be soo much faster (also take out the built-in AIM client). If they did that, I'd most likely be a Mozilla user, but...that will probably never happen. So I'll be IE user and I can't wait til 6 comes out! Man, if they make IE look like Office (X version), it will be killer browser.

gopher
Jun 16, 2002, 09:03 AM
Post to: http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp?from=cu&fu=%2Fisapi%2Fgomscom%2Easp%3Ftarget%3D%2Fmswish%2Fthanks%2Ehtm

If you want to offer feedback for Netscape or Mozilla write the bug report to:

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/

eunuchs
Jun 16, 2002, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by jtrascap
I gotta say first, I love Mozilla. I love the speed of Mozilla (especially on ./) I probably have to reset my preferences twice a week to go back to Mozilla from IE...and then I set it back.

I run on an iBook, 12" screen, and I love SlashDock...runs in the dock, let's me know when to run to ./, CNN, etc... but when one selects an article to read, IE loads it in the frontmost window and Mozilla creates a new window. This creates a huge amount of clutter on the smaller iBook screen.

This is the single-most annoying aspect of using Mozilla on the Mac. The economy of screen estate is wasted on Mozilla (this also points to another Moz-Mac shortcoming - no hotkey for minimal window gadgets, like they do on the PC (f9) or the CMD-B switch on IE - I guess all Moz designers work on 21" monitors!)

Give me 1) the ability to direct URLS into the existing frontmost window or a background tab, and 2) a cmd-key to hide any/all of the toolbar/options for the browsers.

Then you'll kill IE for nearly all users!

Hit F11 whilst browsing in Mozilla to maximize and remove all superfluous chrome. It's nice if you're hurting for screen real-estate. (I'm not 100% sure this works on the Mac, haven't tried it there... but it does work on the PC).

As for opening two browsers when a link is clicked... Some apps don't seem to obey the browser preference in Internet Preferences... don't know why except for maybe bad programming. Write to the author!

theranch
Jun 16, 2002, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by bretm


I've got no problem doing this at all. I click, it downloads. Are you OSX?
Yeah...OSX.

eunuchs
Jun 16, 2002, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by kainjow
Have you guys downloaded the latest version of Netscape (7 I think)? It's a lot faster then 6. But....I'm going to be hanging out with IE for a while now unless Mozilla/OmniWeb/Chimera come out with a complete browser. But, IE really is the best I think. Yeah, it's buggy, but, it just feels right. I hate switching to new browsers because they don't know what they're doing to my webpages! Mozilla/Netscape still take minutes to load the app, and just creating a new window takes like 5 minutes. If Mozilla cut out Composer and the built-in mail app, it could load soo much quicker, and be soo much faster (also take out the built-in AIM client). If they did that, I'd most likely be a Mozilla user, but...that will probably never happen. So I'll be IE user and I can't wait til 6 comes out! Man, if they make IE look like Office (X version), it will be killer browser.

What the hell are you talking about?

Mozilla is a complete browser.
If Mozilla can't render your webpages, it's because YOU don't know what you're doing when you design them.
Mozilla does not take 5 minutes to open a new window.
There is no AIM client in Mozilla (Netscape adds this).


Next time, try actually using the product before you go ahead and knock it.

shadowfax0
Jun 16, 2002, 12:43 PM
I have to say I am VERY impressed with Moz. v.1.1a, it's very fast and stable. Only thing I have a problem with is the whole opening a new window thing, even though it CAN be helpful at times...but annoying at others (Like when using Slashdock :) ) and they really really have to improve the d/l thing, it should be like *gulp* IE 5, I think that's the best way for downloading, just a big list...etc etc. But IE is too Microsoft for me, and Mozilla is so good now that I don't think I will go back. I actually like Chimera more in ways, because I don't like the fact the in Mozilla it has it's own email and all that, I just want a web browser, nothing extra. So that's where Chimera comes in, I haven't d/la nightly build in some time, so I think I'm gonna go do that :D
BTW - If you ahve Mozilla get the theme/skin called "Pinball" It's kickas$

eunuchs
Jun 16, 2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by shadowfax0
I have to say I am VERY impressed with Moz. v.1.1a

-=snip=-

they really really have to improve the d/l thing, it should be like *gulp* IE 5, I think that's the best way for downloading, just a big list...etc etc.

shadowfax0, since you're using 1.1a, go under preferences, select Navigator->Downloads->Use Download Manager (or something such)... et voila, IE5-esque download manager... =)

shadowfax0
Jun 16, 2002, 08:08 PM
AHH! Perfection! :D Thanks an awful lot! Now if they only had tabbed browsing... heh heh

eunuchs
Jun 16, 2002, 08:16 PM
Are you asking if Mozilla has tabbed browsing?? Or are you being facetious? I'm hoping you know about the " Open tabs instead of windows for ... middle-click or ctrl-click (cmd-click) of links in a Web page" option under Prefs->Navigator->Tabbed Browsing

Don't make me hurt you... ;)

jaykk
Jun 16, 2002, 08:30 PM
The tabbed browsing takes new meaning for web bowsing.. this feature is so good, with background loading of pages.. This is how i browse the websites. I go to MacRumors main pages, CMD+Click on all the interested threads, it loads one by one in a new tab in the back ground, then finally move to one tab at time, read all at once. No going back and forth . I hardly use back button these days..i open everything in another tab.. dont leave the main page at all. its all in one window with different tabs.. it saves me a lot of time.. i do this with MacSurfer too.. best way to go through a list of links :)

jtrascap
Jun 17, 2002, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by eunuchs
Hit F11 whilst browsing in Mozilla to maximize and remove all superfluous chrome. It's nice if you're hurting for screen real-estate. (I'm not 100% sure this works on the Mac, haven't tried it there... but it does work on the PC).


Ja - It doesn't work. I was wrong about the F9 key - that's to make the Sidebar open and close (unknown from the menu) but F11 does nothing on the Mac.

Shoot - if I could just set my own keys for menu items... (hint, hint, hint)


As for opening two browsers when a link is clicked... Some apps don't seem to obey the browser preference in Internet Preferences... don't know why except for maybe bad programming. Write to the author!

I've added it to the Mozilla wishlist, but that was months ago, back at .91. I'm wondering about this, as if it's a system thing - I have to see if this happens with Chimera. Does this happen with Omniweb or Opera? Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?

crush7
Jun 17, 2002, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by verbose101
I would like IE to have the ability to stop popups ( JavaScript:window.open() ) like OmniWeb and Mozilla without having to disable JavaScript all together.

'Whow. Thanks for the hint. How is that done in Mozilla?

edesignuk
Jun 17, 2002, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by crush7


'Whow. Thanks for the hint. How is that done in Mozilla?
Just have a look in the the Mozilla preferences, its in there somewhere, I can't remeber where exactly and I'm not at home with my Mac to check, but it's not hard to find.

lsochrin
Jun 17, 2002, 08:01 AM
Mozilla, Chimera, Netscape. I have all 3 plus Omniweb and IE, and am totally confused at this point. Of the 3 "zilla" derivatives, can anyone explain why one versus the other two?

eunuchs
Jun 17, 2002, 08:46 AM
All the 'zillas use Gecko as their rendering engine. Gecko is a very fast, very accurate rendering engine and is really the reason any Moz has a chance of acceptance.

After that, the comparison breaks down like this:

Chimera = Gecko + Cocoa front-end
Only the renderer is Moz-based, the rest is native OS X

Mozilla = Gecko + XUL + OS-workability
To make Mozilla as cross-platform as possible, the entire Moz UI is custom - afaik, it uses virtually no platform-specific widgets. (I think there are exceptions, but they break cross-platform compatibility - witness the Aqua/Pinstripe theme). The problem is that this makes Moz a little sluggish... But then again, the developers of Mozilla see it as a platform for other applications, not a product... The tendency of Moz developers to throw in the kitchen sink is what has led to projects like Galeon and Chimera.

Netscape 6/7 = Mozilla + crap
Since a large proportion of Mozilla developers are actually in the employ of AOL/Netscape... it stands to reason that Netscape would like to benefit from the fruits of their labour... so every once in a while, Netscape branches from the Mozilla trunk, cleans up some stuff (most notably, they removed the checkbox for disabling Javascript pop-ups - though you can still enable this by hacking the prefs file) and throws in junk like the AOL IM client.

There you have it... a quick and dirty comparison...

bretm
Jun 17, 2002, 09:07 AM
I love tabbed browsing and the speed, but that's about it.

IE's bookmarking and orgainizing of bookmarks to me is much more elegant. The sidebar that slides out on the left is very straightforward.

The skinny little bar on the left bugs me in mozilla. As well, I'd like to drag whole folders up to the area above the tabs (where bookmarks resides). Can that be done? In IE it is so simple. Drag folders or links from anywhere to the area.

One site I built is semi-liquid. Kind of like apple. The menu bar stretches left and right to fill the screen. My little spin was that instead of centered, the left stretch is 33%, and the right stretch is 66%. IE 5 for mac is the ONLY browser that displays that correctly. IE for PC does not. So I give IE credit for displaying my pages AS DESIGNED.

Most of mozilla still looks and feels like OS9 to me too. Especially pop-up menus and right clicks (ctrl clicks for those of you without a 2 button mouse yet).

Speed is a negligible issue for me since I'm on fiber optic dsl, but I'd like to see tabbed browsing in IE.

my .02

chibianh
Jun 17, 2002, 09:10 AM
IE 5.2 is released...

firewire2001
Jun 17, 2002, 09:15 AM
IE 5.2 is released...

am i missing something? the site says only 5.1 is availible...

AlexMac
Jun 17, 2002, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by chibianh
IE 5.2 is released...

What lead you to post this? Where did you see/get it? Should an IE update not be provided though software update anyway?

Microsoft have never posted an IE for OS X on their website. Any deviation from the software update method might be seen as Apple starting not to endorse IE!

Alex.

chibianh
Jun 17, 2002, 09:48 AM
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/020617/sfm072_1.html

edesignuk
Jun 17, 2002, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by chibianh
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/020617/sfm072_1.html
Oh kool! :D
Can't wait to get home and get the update, see if it's any more stable than 5.1 :p

Rower_CPU
Jun 17, 2002, 09:55 AM
Weird...it's not up on Microsoft's Mac IE page yet either.:confused:

chibianh
Jun 17, 2002, 09:56 AM
i haven't seen it available for download anywhere either.. maybe sometime today??

AlexMac
Jun 17, 2002, 11:35 AM
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/DOWNLOAD/IE/ie52.asp

James.Paul
Jun 17, 2002, 11:39 AM
Its on versiontracker as well.

chibianh
Jun 17, 2002, 11:44 AM
any other changes besides this? the aa text is really nice and all, but is that it?

TechLarry
Jun 17, 2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by kainjow
Have you guys downloaded the latest version of Netscape (7 I think)? It's a lot faster then 6. But....I'm going to be hanging out with IE for a while now unless Mozilla/OmniWeb/Chimera come out with a complete browser. But, IE really is the best I think. Yeah, it's buggy, but, it just feels right. I hate switching to new browsers because they don't know what they're doing to my webpages! Mozilla/Netscape still take minutes to load the app, and just creating a new window takes like 5 minutes. If Mozilla cut out Composer and the built-in mail app, it could load soo much quicker, and be soo much faster (also take out the built-in AIM client). If they did that, I'd most likely be a Mozilla user, but...that will probably never happen. So I'll be IE user and I can't wait til 6 comes out! Man, if they make IE look like Office (X version), it will be killer browser.

Be careful what you wish for. You might just get it...

IE 6 on the PC is the most crash-prone, unstable, sluggish version of IE yet released for the PC. It truly is terrible. It also has some internal issues that break some previous features, and none of this is documented.

I dispise IE 6 on the PC, and I use 5.01 whenever I can, or at the most, 5.5SP2 (which I'm not real fond of either, but it's better than 6).

The last really _good_ performing version of IE on the PC was 5.01 on Windows 2000.

TL

AlexMac
Jun 17, 2002, 12:06 PM
Looks like Microsoft have really pushed the boat out on this one. (Note the heavy sarcasm!!!!)

Apart from the aa text (which I like!). Are there any improvements? I thought that they might have got round to using the aqua widgets for pop-up menus etc, but NO.

I find it VERY INTERESTING that this has not been provided by software update. This is major! If it is not going to be provided by software update, and it doesn't look likely at this stage, Apple don't seem to be 'pushing' IE anymore. Remember Microsoft has NEVER posted any OS X browser on their site.

Expect something major for Jaguar folks. Could this see the long awaited return of an Apple browser? The release date is not after the end of the Microsoft agreement for nothing!!! :D

Alex.

eunuchs
Jun 17, 2002, 12:40 PM
> The skinny little bar on the left bugs
> me in mozilla.

The first thing I do is turn this off.... not just minimize it. If you expand it to show the sidebar and then click the X at the top-right side of the sidebar, it goes away.


> One site I built is semi-liquid. Kind of
> like apple. The menu bar stretches
> left and right to fill the screen. My
> little spin was that instead of
> centered, the left stretch is 33%,
> and the right stretch is 66%. IE 5
> for mac is the ONLY browser that
> displays that correctly. IE for PC
> does not. So I give IE credit for
> displaying my pages AS DESIGNED.

With all due respect, this sounds like a design problem... I can design pages that display perfectly in Netscape 4.7. That the page will probably render differently on every single other browser is a given. It doesn't mean that Netscape follows the HTML standard to the letter and all the other browsers are broken.

If it were me, and the page I was designing only rendered properly on a single browser with a tiny percentage of total market share (IE for Mac can't possibly have more than 3%, since Mac users hardly make up for 3% of web users), I would think twice about my design.

However, I have a feeling I know what's causing the problem. Can you share the URL? If the HTML is indeed proper, I'll eat my words. If not, then perhaps I can help you make sure it renders the same on every other browser...

> Speed is a negligible issue for me
> since I'm on fiber optic dsl, but I'd
> like to see tabbed browsing in IE.

It's not about d/l speed... it's about rendering speed. Go to slashdot.org, pick an article with about 400-500 comments. Then change the display to Threshold: 0, Nested, Highest Scores First. IE for Mac will [B]literally[B] take minutes to render this page (on OS 9, good luck doing anything else in the meantime). Any other browser, IE for PC included, will render the page, all 700k of nested tables, in seconds.

Nipsy
Jun 17, 2002, 01:17 PM
Gotta love it, still can't render MSN:
http://www.martin.meidl.btinternet.co.uk/IE.jpg

Get your M$ fun here:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/DOWNLOAD/IE/ie52.asp

AlexMac
Jun 17, 2002, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Nipsy
Gotta love it, still can't render MSN:

Get your M$ fun here:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/DOWNLOAD/IE/ie52.asp

Don't be too harsh. Actually it renders perfectly for me;)

Alex.

eunuchs
Jun 17, 2002, 01:44 PM
Am I seeing things, or do you have the brushed metal look for your About dialog, Nipsy?

My build of 5.2 doesn't have it.

edesignuk
Jun 17, 2002, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by eunuchs
Am I seeing things, or do you have the brushed metal look for your About dialog, Nipsy?

My build of 5.2 doesn't have it.
He is most likely using an OS X theme program for the brushed metal effect.

Nipsy
Jun 17, 2002, 02:29 PM
Screen shot is not mine, I just thought it was humorous, and it is from a few hours ago, so the MSN page may have been played with a bit.

It renders okay on my machine, now that I tortured it with IE.

tjwett
Jun 17, 2002, 03:10 PM
OK. I just installed 5.2 and it does seem snappier but now everything looks blurry and lame. Anyone wanna tell me how to get this back to normal...

edesignuk
Jun 17, 2002, 03:14 PM
Check out this (http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=6525) thread, another thread on IE5.2.
In there you will find how to turn off text smoothing.

tjwett
Jun 17, 2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by verbose101
Check out this (http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=6525) thread, another thread on IE5.2.
In there you will find how to turn off text smoothing.

Thanks alot man. Much better now. IMHO that text smoothing looks like garbage. I could barely read the text on this page.

edesignuk
Jun 17, 2002, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by tjwett


Thanks alot man. Much better now. IMHO that text smoothing looks like garbage. I could barely read the text on this page.
Personally I can't stand it with it turned off, I just love the silky smooth text :D ...mmmmm...smoooooth...

tjwett
Jun 17, 2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by verbose101

Personally I can't stand it with it turned off, I just love the silky smooth text :D ...mmmmm...smoooooth...

I'd love it if it actually looked silky smooth. It just looks like it's out of focus to me. Maybe I'm missing something. I'm on a Tibook 550 with my res set to the highest setting. I noticed a DPI menu in the Languages/Fonts menu in IE Preferences. Mine is on 96dpi. What's yours? Does that have anything to do with it?

edesignuk
Jun 17, 2002, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by tjwett


I'd love it if it actually looked silky smooth. It just looks like it's out of focus to me. Maybe I'm missing something. I'm on a Tibook 550 with my res set to the highest setting. I noticed a DPI menu in the Languages/Fonts menu in IE Preferences. Mine is on 96dpi. What's yours? Does that have anything to do with it?
Yup, mine is 96dpi too, but I'm also running Silk 1.1. Maybe that would make a difference?

tjwett
Jun 17, 2002, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by verbose101

Yup, mine is 96dpi too, but I'm also running Silk 1.1. Maybe that would make a difference?

Now running IE thru Silk but it looks the same. Oh well. I think the smoothing just isn't my cup of tea.

edesignuk
Jun 17, 2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by tjwett


Now running IE thru Silk but it looks the same. Oh well. I think the smoothing just isn't my cup of tea.
That's a shame, it's probably the bigest update in 5.2, you probably needn't have bothered to upgrade from 5.1. lol :)
Still, never mind hey, I'm sure there are alot out there who do love it (like me ;))

tjwett
Jun 17, 2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by verbose101

That's a shame, it's probably the bigest update in 5.2, you probably needn't have bothered to upgrade from 5.1. lol :)
Still, never mind hey, I'm sure there are alot out there who do love it (like me ;))

You know what? I've been browsing around and I do actually see an improvement in a bunch of other sites. For some reason it's only the forum section of this site that looks funny to me. Maybe it's just the font they're using or something. Does the Quartz smoothing slow anything down? I'm a little fuzzy(no pun intended) on how it works.

edesignuk
Jun 18, 2002, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by tjwett


You know what? I've been browsing around and I do actually see an improvement in a bunch of other sites. For some reason it's only the forum section of this site that looks funny to me. Maybe it's just the font they're using or something. Does the Quartz smoothing slow anything down? I'm a little fuzzy(no pun intended) on how it works.
As far as I under stand, no, it shouldn't do.
The extra rendering work is left to the video card to handle which would of course find smoothing a little text a breeze :D So I shouldn't slow you down at all.
Correct me if I'm wrong anyone...