Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
At least they're doing *something* right, by concentrating on speed for the time being. As it is, IE has more features than the other browsers i use (chimera and omniweb). All it lacks really is the speed. Mind you, a slightly better-looking interface wouldn't go amiss :)

theranch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Atlantic City area
downloads...

I'd like to be able to click on a link that is a download without using my control key. Ever since upgrading to 5.1.4 I can't just click on a link in a page that is a "download link"....sucks. This even messes up any type of download link. It's such a pain in the A**.
-my 2 cents

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I would like IE to have the ability to stop popups ( JavaScript:window.open() ) like OmniWeb and Mozilla without having to disable JavaScript all together.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Re: downloads...

Originally posted by theranch
I'd like to be able to click on a link that is a download without using my control key. Ever since upgrading to 5.1.4 I can't just click on a link in a page that is a "download link"....sucks. This even messes up any type of download link. It's such a pain in the A**.
-my 2 cents

mmm, no problems here doing this of course I have a 2 button mouse.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002

-my 2 cents

I've got no problem doing this at all. I click, it downloads. Are you OSX?

F/reW/re

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2001
Norway

-my 2 cents
Just "ALT"+"mouseclick" on the link and the download starts :)

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
normally i would be glad about this, but as X has been updated, IE has continued to get less stable on my machine. with 10.1.5, it's just horrible. It'd be nice if IE 5.2 would fix these bugs, hangs, and occasional crashes, but i'm not holding my breath. If this update doesn't make things better, i'm swearing off IE for good...

:)
pnw

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Speed is the main issue for me.

Maybe someday we'll see a Mac browser with the speed of Chimera and the compatibility and features of Mozilla.

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA

I'm still seeing mozilla a lot slower than IE, and IE is pretty slow to boot (compared to IE on an XP box). yay for any speed bumps they can push :D

-my 2 cents

hold down option and then click the link. the download will be added to the download manager without interrupting you by bringing that window to the front

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
That's because IE on XP loads when windows boots.

not only that, but the browser is implemented into their system giving it higher cpu priority in addition to msoft knowing the os, allowing them to optimize the programs they write..

this is why they had the lawsuits a few years ago.. but thats besides the point..

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
it may still be a very young browser, but chimera is coming along by leaps and bounds. not only are the developers adding more features and plugins to the mix, but it just keeps getting even faster than before. the latest nightlies are astounding me with their stability and speed. i predict the death of the popularity of IE for Mac in the coming months.

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
I'm looking forward to this update and having a better overall browsing experience.

I also look forward to Mozilla surpassing IE as the best Mac browser, but untill that day comes, I'm forced to wait for MS updates...

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by verbose101
I would like IE to have the ability to stop popups ( JavaScript:window.open() ) like OmniWeb and Mozilla without having to disable JavaScript all together.

You will probably NEVER see this in an M$ browser unless legislation orders it. M$ realize that they can make alot more moolah from marketing consortiums, than by giving you the feature you want in a free program.

Your options will probably continue to be:
Buy OmniWeb
Accept the clunky chrome of Mozilla

With that said, having walked away from IE about 4 months ago (when Mozilla got stable enough to be a day to day browser), I have only met 4 or 5 sites so poorly written that Mozilla couldn't handle them. Aside from a few quirky things (usually the fault of lazy developers) it is damn near perfect at page rendering, layout, and composition. With 10.1.5 and Silk, if can AA text for you as well.

I've found that Chimera is still a bit immature, but will probably take over as my main browser when it is finalized.

Omniweb, iCab, & Opera all seem to lack in at least one of the following:
speed
stability
compatibility

I'm glad to see Mozilla finally out, because I've been writing good code for the last two years as a matter of principle, while watching a lot of developers do things the M$ way. Now they're all in a scramble to make things right for the pending AOL/Mozilla release, and I'm thinking of a vacation.

eunuchs

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2002
Calgary, AB
Originally posted by Nipsy

With 10.1.5 and Silk, if can AA text for you as well.

I've found that Chimera is still a bit immature, but will probably take over as my main browser when it is finalized.

FYI, Mozilla 1.1a was quietly released this week with a bunch of features that didn't make it into 1.0 - including AA on OS X and extras like a download manager.

Agreed on the Chimera comment. Moz is great but suffers from the Emacs syndrome. Chimera is like the vi (maybe vim) of browsers to continue the text editor analogy.

Until Chimera is feature-complete, I'll use Moz and be perfectly content. =)

IE needs to come up with some big new features/performance improvements to count me as a user again. Cocoa-fication and some real multithreading would be a start. A better renderer would be a plus too.

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by eunuchs

IE needs to come up with some big new features/performance improvements to count me as a user again. Cocoa-fication and some real multithreading would be a start. A better renderer would be a plus too.

I think I'm Mozilla for life unless IE incorporates tabbed browsing, and pop [up/under] control. I don't think either is likely.

Now I want a Mozilla theme with tiny buttons in the Navigation toolbar, and a smaller url bar, so that my total chrome is 2x the size of the tab bar.

Dare to dream...

syntax

Suspended
May 8, 2002
Originally posted by eunuchs

FYI, Mozilla 1.1a was quietly released this week with a bunch of features that didn't make it into 1.0 - including AA on OS X and extras like a download manager.

Just to clarify, AA, as in anti-aliasing, is already implemented in Moz, as it is in any Carbon app -- it just happens to be QuickDraw AA as opposed to the superior Quartz AA.

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
Originally posted by firewire2001

not only that, but the browser is implemented into their system giving it higher cpu priority in addition to msoft knowing the os, allowing them to optimize the programs they write..

this is why they had the lawsuits a few years ago.. but thats besides the point..

ya but it would be a good goal for the devs....a fast IE that isnt bound to the OS

jtrascap

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2001
The only reason I keep using IE...

I gotta say first, I love Mozilla. I love the speed of Mozilla (especially on ./) I probably have to reset my preferences twice a week to go back to Mozilla from IE...and then I set it back.

I run on an iBook, 12" screen, and I love SlashDock...runs in the dock, let's me know when to run to ./, CNN, etc... but when one selects an article to read, IE loads it in the frontmost window and Mozilla creates a new window. This creates a huge amount of clutter on the smaller iBook screen.

This is the single-most annoying aspect of using Mozilla on the Mac. The economy of screen estate is wasted on Mozilla (this also points to another Moz-Mac shortcoming - no hotkey for minimal window gadgets, like they do on the PC (f9) or the CMD-B switch on IE - I guess all Moz designers work on 21" monitors!)

Give me 1) the ability to direct URLS into the existing frontmost window or a background tab, and 2) a cmd-key to hide any/all of the toolbar/options for the browsers.

Then you'll kill IE for nearly all users!

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Have you guys downloaded the latest version of Netscape (7 I think)? It's a lot faster then 6. But....I'm going to be hanging out with IE for a while now unless Mozilla/OmniWeb/Chimera come out with a complete browser. But, IE really is the best I think. Yeah, it's buggy, but, it just feels right. I hate switching to new browsers because they don't know what they're doing to my webpages! Mozilla/Netscape still take minutes to load the app, and just creating a new window takes like 5 minutes. If Mozilla cut out Composer and the built-in mail app, it could load soo much quicker, and be soo much faster (also take out the built-in AIM client). If they did that, I'd most likely be a Mozilla user, but...that will probably never happen. So I'll be IE user and I can't wait til 6 comes out! Man, if they make IE look like Office (X version), it will be killer browser.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.