PDA

View Full Version : Grateful Dead on iTunes

MacRumors
Mar 19, 2004, 12:08 AM
RockyMountainNews.com reports (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/music/article/0,1299,DRMN_54_2725821,00.html) that the Grateful Dead are in the process of placing their entire archive of live music on iTunes:

The Grateful Dead is still putting its own archive out. Besides standard CD releases, the Dead is finalizing a deal with Apple's I-Tunes to make every live note they've ever recorded available for download.

Trowaman
Mar 19, 2004, 12:11 AM
I think only one word, a word very often associated with Apple can describe this and that word is . . .

"cool." :cool:

besides that, is Napster or anyone else getting the goods as well?

MacNut
Mar 19, 2004, 12:12 AM
Great, now if we can only get the Beatles on iTunes

Engagebot
Mar 19, 2004, 12:14 AM
now only if downloads could be >128kbps...

i'm all for iTunes, but i can get new CD's at best buy on new-music-tuesdays for $7.99 a piece. then i can rip them however i see fit.

stoid
Mar 19, 2004, 12:14 AM
:eek: What new product is this?!? I-Tunes? Does that mean new PowerBooks this Tuesday?! :p I can't wait for Steve to tell us about this new I-Tunes and whether it will run on my MAC!!!

:rolleyes:

mvc
Mar 19, 2004, 12:17 AM
Great, now if we can only get the Beatles on iTunes
Before or after they finish suing Apple? :rolleyes:

BKB
Mar 19, 2004, 12:19 AM
i'm all for iTunes, but i can get new CD's at best buy on new-music-tuesdays for $7.99 a piece. then i can rip them however i see fit.

You can rip iTunes purchased music as you see fit also.

martman
Mar 19, 2004, 12:20 AM

Yes I would hope The Dead make sure that the music is a higher bit rate than 128.
Also this kinda sucks for those of us in Canada where we can't use the iTunes store.... :(

TyleRomeo
Mar 19, 2004, 12:21 AM

exactly, give us a choice between 128AAC and FLAC files so we can have uncompressed files. then i'd actually buy song from the store instead of just getting a couple of free ones becuase of pepsi

Tyler

warcraftmaster
Mar 19, 2004, 12:21 AM

hey dont tell everyone. but that is what i do.i got all my friends cds and now i got 4000 song in one week. all aac with no fair play crap :D

sparkleytone
Mar 19, 2004, 12:24 AM

the reason you can do this is BECAUSE of the new digital age of music. there was a time a very short while ago when $11.99 was a great price for a new release at Best Buy.

Some_Big_Spoon
Mar 19, 2004, 12:26 AM
You can rip iTunes purchased music as you see fit also.

You can, yes, but then you're getting a ripped rip, as it were. The quality, while "good enough" for most, is not getting the CD quality.

Here's my feeling.. You go to itunes, you know what you're getting into. It's not the CD, it's got DRM, it's iPod-centric.. if you don't like it, then you've got options.

I'm not saying that I'm not 150% in favor of better quality, less restrictions, etc., but cavet emptor.

b.k.jackson
Mar 19, 2004, 01:04 AM
Although not a big fan of their music, the GD were one of the big drawing points of the well, an early portal on the Internet.

http://www.well.com/aboutwell.html

Here's hoping that thier draw to iTunes is as big as their draw to early Internet pioneers was.

Brian

pascalpp
Mar 19, 2004, 01:53 AM
oh great, more bad music on iTunes.

jbrown
Mar 19, 2004, 01:55 AM
Looks like this puts us right back on track for the ol' magic 100 million mark ---- saved by the Deadheads!!! Come on you Deadheads! :D :D

big
Mar 19, 2004, 02:03 AM
all my music is starting to have pops and crackles in it, just in the last few days... I am rilly pissed, of course none of the music I bought has this issue... anyone else?

Savage Henry
Mar 19, 2004, 02:22 AM
Shortly after Steve announces the entire Grateful Dead catalogue availabilty, he'd better make sure he announces they are also available on the Europe iTMS ....

Grrr ... :mad: He better ....

Trimix
Mar 19, 2004, 04:48 AM
where do these people come from who vote this as NEGATIVE ?
it may not be everyone's taste of music, but is in this case MORE not equal to BETTER ? :)

AppleMatt
Mar 19, 2004, 04:52 AM
all my music is starting to have pops and crackles in it, just in the last few days... I am rilly pissed, of course none of the music I bought has this issue... anyone else?

Some people are reporting this after updating to 10.3.3.
Some of my ripped dvd's do it in QuickTime, so I've gone back to VLC.

AppleMatt

nagromme
Mar 19, 2004, 05:10 AM
If not... congratulations on taking the creative work of other people without compensating them for their work and art that you enjoy. I guess all that matters is not getting caught... so why do the right thing?

hey dont tell everyone. but that is what i do.i got all my friends cds and now i got 4000 song in one week. all aac with no fair play crap :D

virividox
Mar 19, 2004, 05:31 AM
dead heads will be happy, but then again most dead heads like to listen to it in pristine surroundings...maybe its for dead heads on the go :D

lind0834
Mar 19, 2004, 05:39 AM
I hope the Dead make a killing with this, and will push other groups to release huge catalogs of live stuff via iTunes. Just think if you could get all the live recorded Pearl Jam stuff. :D

daRAT
Mar 19, 2004, 05:42 AM
dead heads will be happy, but then again most dead heads like to listen to it in pristine surroundings...maybe its for dead heads on the go :D

My brother is a 'deadhead', therefore he has quite a collection of bootleg tapes. None of those tapes are at the quality the Itunes songs will be at, remember this will be from the GD, not from someones walkman plugged into a soundboard.

Also, the news scoop said all thier "live" music, which of course is the best :)

jcshas
Mar 19, 2004, 06:27 AM
I'm not a dead head, but I think this is big news, isnt it?

proglife
Mar 19, 2004, 06:53 AM
Very cool. Finally, the greatest rock and roll band of all time on iTunes. And a lot of material to boot!

My opinion on this, as I appear to be the resident MacRumors Deadhead:

BIG DEAL. This is not going to send any ripples through the Dead community, other than "oh...good for them". I'll show you why:

http://bt.etree.org

A massive amount of Dead shows, all distributed LEGALLY, in lossless FLAC or SHN at full-res.

I would be interested in studio albums at iTunes prices, but I like to have the artifact, not just the file. And as things stand, CD's sound better on a CD player than through your computer. Deadheads and audiophilia often go hand in hand. This will be great for college students driving Jeep Cherokee's with a Dave Matthews Band sticker on the back, but I think that's about it.

Sol
Mar 19, 2004, 06:54 AM
The significance of the Grateful Dead on iTunes news might be that more artists will release their obscure live recordings on the store. Of course this material would appeal most to the hardcore fans of any band so online distribution would be the ideal model for that market; it would be cheaper and more accesible than distributing on Compact Discs.

Les Kern
Mar 19, 2004, 07:05 AM
The significance of the Grateful Dead on iTunes news might be that more artists will release their obscure live recordings on the store.

I sure hope so... Actually I have grown to love the live stuff over studio, and success of the Dead on iTunes will hopefully prompt more artist to follow. (Of course to me it's a mystery why anyone would actually want ANY GDead music, but that's coming from a fervent Yes fan, so I guess I don't have a leg to stand on!)
As a sidebar, some of my most rabid PC-using friends are (gasp) admiring the company called Apple. The world is going crazy.

uv23
Mar 19, 2004, 07:13 AM
It's a sad state of affairs in rumor land when this sort of news makes page 1. I suppose we're desperate for anything from Apple these days, no matter how mundane. :)

Pablo
Mar 19, 2004, 08:26 AM
Give me Led Zeppelin and AC/DC and I'll be a happy man.

Foxer
Mar 19, 2004, 08:38 AM
These songs will only be downloaded in significant quantities if Apple begins to accept homemade Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches as payment.

The Dead could be the worst band ever ever. But that's just me. However, this is the right idea - there are many bands that I love, but i already have their catalogs on CD. I want obscure stuff, or a massive backcatalog of live stuff that I can't otherwise get. Deadheads win this round.

gwuMACaddict
Mar 19, 2004, 08:38 AM

give me a freakin break... i don't know what kind of music you prefer, but i would almost 100% gaurentee that the dead had some sort of influence on it... getting the dead on iTunes, esp with all of their live recording is excellent- not only to be able to get their music, but to encourage other artists to do it as well...

thegeek187
Mar 19, 2004, 08:41 AM
awsome this is good news....

keep on truckin boys...

Wonder Boy
Mar 19, 2004, 08:56 AM

why, did they announce more rap and r&b on the service?

the only announcement i see today is the addition of the dead. no right thinking person, with an once of respect for music as an art can think that the greatful dead are bad.

btw, i bought a greatful dead cd of the serive 2 months ago. what am i missing about the announcment.

sinisterdesign
Mar 19, 2004, 08:57 AM
These songs will only be downloaded in significant quantities if Apple begins to accept homemade Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches as payment.

exactly. i don't know what kind of bartering system steve has in mind, maybe "beads for bands" or "tokes for tunes"? Apple IS in california, people. (of course, i don't remember cuperinto being much of a liberal hotbead when i lived there)

no, i think this is a GREAT idea. as a couple have already stated, this would be the perfect venue to release libraries full of live shows. the Dead aren't at the top of my list for purchase, but what an easy way to make tons of live tracks available to the public.

...keep on truckin', steve...

mactastic
Mar 19, 2004, 09:12 AM
AWESOME! Not that I have a shortage of Dead already, but this will be a great addition. And for all those complaining about the sound quality, most of the live stuff is already not the greatest sound quality to begin with. My Dick's Picks albums all come with caveat emptor that tell you the CD won't sound like a studio album and don't expect it to. In many cases, the oxide had to be re-baked onto the tape to recover the show.

The good music continues on iTMS!

ldkaplan
Mar 19, 2004, 09:13 AM
I'd rather have a 128 bit AAC from the soundboard than a lossless copy from the taper section. Plus, it's not all that easy to find that one special show, even if you send queries to the taper forums. And not everyone (especially most Deadheads) are particularly capable of tracking down the .shn and converting them to .wav so they can put them on a CD or iPod.

I think this is targetting a different person than the diehard taper; and believe it or not, most Deadheads are not diehard tapers. Plus if this opens the door to download music by other bands, all the better.

I'm glad the Dead could finally get together on this (Phil wasn't all that keen on this if I remember). I just hope their policy for trading music recorded by fans does not change.

Very cool. Finally, the greatest rock and roll band of all time on iTunes. And a lot of material to boot!

My opinion on this, as I appear to be the resident MacRumors Deadhead:

BIG DEAL. This is not going to send any ripples through the Dead community, other than "oh...good for them". I'll show you why:

A massive amount of Dead shows, all distributed LEGALLY, in lossless FLAC or SHN at full-res.

I would be interested in studio albums at iTunes prices, but I like to have the artifact, not just the file. And as things stand, CD's sound better on a CD player than through your computer. Deadheads and audiophilia often go hand in hand. This will be great for college students driving Jeep Cherokee's with a Dave Matthews Band sticker on the back, but I think that's about it.

The_Wall
Mar 19, 2004, 09:15 AM
To me this is a great idea, and one which I wish many other bands would follow. Preferably DMB, Phish, O*A*R, Dashboard Confessional, and Blink 182 but that is just me. Anyone else think this would be good for Apple and the iTunes Music Store?

My reasoning is that I have gone to concerts by most of those bands and would love to have the show I went to see on my iPod and Powerbook. It's a great idea if Apple can pull it off.

The_Wall

Le Big Mac
Mar 19, 2004, 09:21 AM
Also, the news scoop said all thier "live" music, which of course is the best :)

"Every live note"? Won't that about double the number of songs available on iTMS?

kansast
Mar 19, 2004, 09:30 AM
Nothing left to do, but smile, smile, smile.... :-) :cool:

ThomasJefferson
Mar 19, 2004, 09:38 AM
Finally, the greatest rock and roll band of all time on iTunes.

O' Please. :rolleyes:
The Dead wouldn't know rock and roll if it hit them in the head.

Its like, to quote Ben Franklin ..."Calling and Ox a bull, he's greatful for the compliment, but would much rather have restored to him what has been wrongfully abused."

idkew
Mar 19, 2004, 10:05 AM
Now Apple can boast 100,000 more songs on iTMS!

proglife
Mar 19, 2004, 10:15 AM

Its like, to quote Ben Franklin ..."Calling and Ox a bull, he's greatful for the compliment, but would much rather have restored to him what has been wrongfully abused."

Yeah, you're right. Jerry would look silly in a black studded bannana hammock. But wouldn't it be cool, since the Dead had two drummers, to have TWO kickdrums with pentagrams?

ldkaplan, I can't agree with you. I'd take a good AUD recording over a 128 SBD anyday. I don't like my music to warble :)

ldkaplan
Mar 19, 2004, 10:27 AM
2 drummers, 2 guitars, 1 base, some keys and various reknown guests add up to rock and roll in my book. 3+ decades of sold out shows across the planet must mean they do it ok.

Of course, there is that old joke: What has 59 fingers and can't sing...The Grateful Dead.

GeeYouEye
Mar 19, 2004, 10:47 AM
I don't mean to say anything, but quite a bit of Grateful Dead music has been on iTMS for at least a month. Not much in the way of live recordings, if any at all, but a dozen albums at least.

sillycybin
Mar 19, 2004, 10:59 AM
I have 18 grilled cheeses already made to trade for GD music. Who wants one? two for five sounds about right. dank you very much.

boros
Mar 19, 2004, 10:59 AM
Smile, smile, smile ;)

10,000 hours of live music!

I'll definately need a bigger iPod...

kansast
Mar 19, 2004, 12:46 PM
2 drummers, 2 guitars, 1 base, some keys and various reknown guests add up to rock and roll in my book. 3+ decades of sold out shows across the planet must mean they do it ok.

Of course, there is that old joke: What has 59 fingers and can't sing...The Grateful Dead.

LOL, now that's funny! Granted they may not sing that well.. and I doubt any of them would argue with you.. and since when has rock N roll required someone to be a good singer :-)

Trowaman
Mar 19, 2004, 01:34 PM
This will be great for college students driving Jeep Cherokee's with a Dave Matthews Band sticker on the back, but I think that's about it.

Oh man . . . I am a college student driving a jeep cherokee with a DMB sticker on the back. Green Cherokee, '99, used, very nice Black sticker, barbed wire text, very nice :p

ThomasJefferson
Mar 19, 2004, 02:51 PM
Yeah, you're right. Jerry would look silly in a black studded bannana hammock. But wouldn't it be cool, since the Dead had two drummers, to have TWO kickdrums with pentagrams?

Now, Now .. Springsteen never had pentagrams and he rocks. I always found the Dead to be too mellow ...

joel8x
Mar 19, 2004, 05:15 PM
I protest. They were soooo boring. My old band had a song about the Grateful Dead callled "I'm not you". The song is very childish, but it still makes me smile when I hear it. Check it out here (http://eightbyseven.org/news/download.php?view.33).

kansast
Mar 19, 2004, 06:12 PM
I protest. They were soooo boring. My old band had a song about the Grateful Dead callled "I'm not you". The song is very childish, but it still makes me smile when I hear it. Check it out here (http://eightbyseven.org/news/download.php?view.33).

Might be showing my age a bit.. Sure.. you might could say GD was boring. . although I would disagree. But I'm not even sure what "I'm not you" is.... no discernible melody to be found.. and didn't understand the first word :-) but to each his own.

icsedge1
Mar 19, 2004, 06:22 PM

Yup...and you can find just about every live Pearl Jam track on there too. I have not used it myself (BT) but a guy at work burns up various shows for me. Saw Peral Jam @ MSG last fall, and had the show (straight off the board) 3 days later. :)

Sedge

SmyPh
Mar 20, 2004, 06:33 PM

the amount of cd's you can get at best-buy for 7.99 is by far less than the amount of music you can get on itunes for under it's best buy price. weak argument.

joel8x
Mar 20, 2004, 06:45 PM
Might be showing my age a bit.. Sure.. you might could say GD was boring. . although I would disagree. But I'm not even sure what "I'm not you" is.... no discernible melody to be found.. and didn't understand the first word :-) but to each his own.

:) Its mid-90's punk rock, so if you didn't get it and you are GD fan, than that's probably why (for the same reasons I don't get the Grateful Dead).

furthur
Mar 20, 2004, 08:35 PM
If you're not a fan of the Dead, at least be thankful for what they're going to add to iTunes by opening up the vault...

2,318 live concerts
37,118 songs

Considering the Music Store began with just 200,000 songs, that's a pretty substantial contribution from one band. And in the competitive arena with Napster and the others, the more songs Apple has to oiffer the better.

And if you are a fan of the boys...

What news! This is the entire Vault they're talking about! Pick a show... any show! Just want the Dark Star from 2/13/70? 99-cents please. And in most cases the quality is sure to be superior to what's out there. This is great news. Plus, if the Vault's going to be entrusted to anyone I feel pretty good about Steve Jobs being the man.

Nothing left to do but :) :) :)

solvs
Mar 21, 2004, 01:14 AM
For those complaining... you may not like GD music, but some people do. No one's forcing you to buy them. That would make this good news for those who are fans, and those who will be. If you don't like them, or don't care, why did you click on the link?

Some people just have to complain about nothing.

RandomDeadHead
Mar 21, 2004, 03:15 AM
Not possible.

Inspector Lee
Mar 21, 2004, 10:13 PM
The Dead could be the worst band ever ever.

I don't understand why everybody soils their sheets over The Grateful Dead. They are a psychedelic version of KISS - big image and mediocre talent (sans the Stanley/Simmons PR freak show). Track for track, album for album, concert for concert, The Grateful Dead are nothing compared to Jefferson Airplane. Garcia couldn't hold Grace Slick's jock. Obviously, I'd get in the sack with Slick before Garcia - that's a no-brainer - but I'd also hop in the sack with Kantner, Kaukonen, Casady, and/or Balin before I even so much as lit a smoke for Lesh and Hart. The latter are goose-eggs if you dig it.

And for all the "hotshots" out there, don't give me any of that "We Built This City" crap. Different personnel, different band, different era. Jefferson Starship's 1970 album "Blows Against The Empire" blows everything The Dead ever recorded out of the water.

Of course, more selections for iTunes is great no matter the artist. :D

sillycybin
Mar 22, 2004, 12:40 PM
yeah, thats why the Airplane would call Jerry into the studio to take care of the difficult guitar parts they couldnt handle, then thank him with a little blurb on the back of the record cover. Jorma is OK at best, but Jerry was the man. As far as guitar work is concerned, nobody compares to Jerry, past or present. Ive seen Jorma live many times, doesnt campare to Jerry on any level. The only other guitarist ive seen live that can do some seriously nasty stuff is Adrian Belew.
I doubt you ever saw the Grateful Dead, let alone your precious Jefferson Airplane, live in concert. So really, what are you talking about anyways?

jbschusty
Mar 22, 2004, 02:16 PM

Not really sure this guy knows anything about REAL music. Whaa, someone should take away your mac for being a derelict.

I will buy every Grateful Dead song, in my effort for iTunes to remain the leader in music downloads, and maybe they'll get some of that crap you like on there....whatever that may be. People like you make me not like NY.

pascalpp
Mar 22, 2004, 02:23 PM
give me a freakin break... i don't know what kind of music you prefer, but i would almost 100% gaurentee that the dead had some sort of influence on it...

yeah, all my favorite musicians were definitely influenced by the dead. "We definitely don't wanna sound like THAT."

seriously, though, i was just joking. certainly i don't like the dead much (i do like some of their shorter songs) but i recognize that lots of other people do and so of course their recordings would make a welcome addition to the itunes store library.

jbschusty
Mar 22, 2004, 02:24 PM
I don't understand why everybody soils their sheets over The Grateful Dead. They are a psychedelic version of KISS - big image and mediocre talent (sans the Stanley/Simmons PR freak show). Track for track, album for album, concert for concert, The Grateful Dead are nothing compared to Jefferson Airplane. Garcia couldn't hold Grace Slick's jock. Obviously, I'd get in the sack with Slick before Garcia - that's a no-brainer - but I'd also hop in the sack with Kantner, Kaukonen, Casady, and/or Balin before I even so much as lit a smoke for Lesh and Hart. The latter are goose-eggs if you dig it.

And for all the "hotshots" out there, don't give me any of that "We Built This City" crap. Different personnel, different band, different era. Jefferson Starship's 1970 album "Blows Against The Empire" blows everything The Dead ever recorded out of the water.

JEFFERSON AIRPLANE??? JEFFERSON AIRPLANE???

Ha, all i can say is I'm glad I didn't make that post in a public forum.

The Dead had/has the most loyal fans around the world. JEFFERSON AIRPLANE???

And LOOK at these #'s
Grateful Dead
2,318 live concerts
37,118 songs

Seriously, did you really even compare JA to the Dead? OMG You are such a fool.

jon snow
Mar 22, 2004, 08:32 PM
I do not post here that often. However, after reading your post I have to say it was one of the dumbest I have ever read. This thread is not about whether you like the Grateful Dead. I do, by the way. It was about the fact that they are about to add a huge collection of music that I do not believe has ever been available anywhere else. A catalog of music that you obviously do not care for but a great many people do. How you can compare the Jefferson Airplane, a band that as it was originally made up was around for a few years compared to a band that endured for more than 30 years and continuing. I like the Jefferson Airplane, however, anything post Airplane was pop junk. I think most people will agree that the Dead were never about studio albums. It was and still is about the show. Your rant was a waste of your time and that of every person that read it. Having said all that, being a proponent of free speech, I support your right to post.

Les Kern
Mar 22, 2004, 09:18 PM
...after reading your post I have to say it was one of the dumbest I have ever read.....Having said all that, being a proponent of free speech, I support your right to post.....

Not very nice.... but I'd have to agree overall.
Actually this whole thread is a waste. Music is so... personal. Some folks think I'm an idiot for being a huge Yes fan for 30 years. Of course, they themselves like fishing, Nascar, Jeff Foxworthy and fake wood panelling in their double-wide. :)

Inspector Lee
Mar 22, 2004, 09:18 PM
I do not post here that often. However, after reading your post I have to say it was one of the dumbest I have ever read. This thread is not about whether you like the Grateful Dead. Having said all that, being a proponent of free speech, I support your right to post.

24 hrs later and I've got the burn cream out. I fully understood the purpose of the thread when I posted yesterday and I sensed that some people (specifically Dead fans) were beginning to get a little worked up because the thread seemed to be moving away from the fact that they were releasing a massive archive of music to our beloved iTunes and turning instead towards a critique of their work. Being a rabble-rouser, I decided to stir the pot and it turned out to be a hornets nest. I think everybody needs to relax. 1-2-3-breathe...

jon snow
Mar 22, 2004, 09:32 PM
I support your right to be a rabble-rouser and I am very relaxed, listening to some Medeski, Martin and Wood on a nice pair of Senn. HD-650's. It doesn't get much better, well except maybe a Dead show.

24 hrs later and I've got the burn cream out. I fully understood the purpose of the thread when I posted yesterday and I sensed that some people (specifically Dead fans) were beginning to get a little worked up because the thread seemed to be moving away from the fact that they were releasing a massive archive of music to our beloved iTunes and turning instead towards a critique of their work. Being a rabble-rouser, I decided to stir the pot and it turned out to be a hornets nest. I think everybody needs to relax. 1-2-3-breathe...

rikers_mailbox
Mar 22, 2004, 10:13 PM
wouldn't someone *please* bring up the similarities between the Dead and Phish. i'm dying to rip into you. :D you'd be sooo wrong.

But seriously, Apple should hook up with http://livephish.com

At 9.95 for one live show that has (at the least) 14 songs on it. That's only .71c a song! There some profit to eat up there. And they also have amassed a HUGE collection.

-rik

jon snow
Mar 22, 2004, 10:21 PM
Other than a large group of followers, they are different bands, IMO. I enjoy both. Just saw Phish 12/29/03. Great show. Might as well add to that String Cheese Incident OTR downloads.

wouldn't someone *please* bring up the similarities between the Dead and Phish. i'm dying to rip into you. :D you'd be sooo wrong.

At 9.95 for one live show that has (at the least) 14 songs on it. That's only .71c a song! There some profit to eat up there. And they also have amassed a HUGE collection.

-rik

pascalpp
Mar 22, 2004, 10:24 PM
wouldn't someone *please* bring up the similarities between the Dead and Phish. i'm dying to rip into you.

i'll bite.

Phish sucks. The Grateful Dead also suck. But they're older, and some of them are deader.

Those are the main differences as I see it.

rikers_mailbox
Mar 22, 2004, 10:30 PM
i'll bite.

Phish sucks. The Grateful Dead also suck. But they're older, and some of them are deader.

Those are the main differences as I see it.
as I see it, you are wrong.

You like Apple, no?
And Apple likes Phish, see.
http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2003/08/phish/
Now you like Phish by the transitive property.

(resorting to childish comebacks) :)

sillycybin
Mar 23, 2004, 02:05 AM
Originally Posted by rikers_mailbox

wouldn't someone *please* bring up the similarities between the Dead and Phish. i'm dying to rip into you. you'd be sooo wrong.

-rik

confused as to what you mean by this post. I can find many similarities between the two bands, along with many differences. Ive seen both bands many many times (I saw Phish 14 times last year alone) and can say with certainty that Phish will never be able to put on a show as great as the Grateful Dead.

jbschusty
Mar 23, 2004, 09:25 AM
confused as to what you mean by this post. I can find many similarities between the two bands, along with many differences. Ive seen both bands many many times (I saw Phish 14 times last year alone) and can say with certainty that Phish will never be able to put on a show as great as the Grateful Dead.

Personally, I've never seen anything like Lemonwheel, not anything comparable. Dead is great, and I consider both bands to be the epitome of bands remaining true to phans, and not selling out just to make a weak buck off listeners, but to provide untainted, beautiful, improvasational music. Most importantly shaming every fool out there with and beat box and syntesizers.

I'm ready for them to release some of the live "High Profile" Phish shows, including LemonWheel. But, i guess that's wishful thinking, and I am overly satisfied with this new release. BTW -- LEMONWHEEL

DaNk yOu VeRy MuCh --

rikers_mailbox
Mar 23, 2004, 10:17 AM

You obviously read Rolling Stone, poor thing.

sillycybin
Mar 23, 2004, 11:15 AM
You obviously read Rolling Stone, poor thing.

NO! I dont read Rolling Stone! What of my statement leads you to believe such a thing? I most likely have seen many more shows (GD and Phish) than you, so if you want to have a serious conversation about this subject, we can spark one up on the lot next month in Vegas. That is if you are even going. you sound like a typical salty Phish head who never saw Jerry, but still wants to believe that Phish is the greatest thing ever. Well, sorry to burst your bubble but compared to the GD, Phish is very small. you poor thing, you will never even know.

sillycybin
Mar 23, 2004, 11:20 AM
Personally, I've never seen anything like Lemonwheel, not anything comparable.

Did you ever get a chance to see the Grateful Dead? If not, what are you talking about?

rikers_mailbox
Mar 23, 2004, 01:31 PM
NO! I dont read Rolling Stone! What of my statement leads you to believe such a thing? I most likely have seen many more shows (GD and Phish) than you, so if you want to have a serious conversation about this subject, we can spark one up on the lot next month in Vegas. That is if you are even going. you sound like a typical salty Phish head who never saw Jerry, but still wants to believe that Phish is the greatest thing ever. Well, sorry to burst your bubble but compared to the GD, Phish is very small. you poor thing, you will never even know.

ok ok, calm down. It was a joke. My apologies. Rolling Stone has gotten so inundated with the crap that's on radio that it gives better reviews to Justin Timberlake than the Dead, or Phish, or some other band that actually knows how to play music. I think you and I agree on that.

I'll be at Vegas. We can discuss more there.

-rik

formicahjones
Mar 24, 2004, 04:09 PM
Yes, there is a large quantity of live dead on the internet, for free, and not to mention the volume of material the band puts out on a regular basis.. the dicks pics, one from the vault, two from the vault.. ladies and gentleman..etcetc, but its all going to be in one place... saving many hours of searching for a particular show from multiple site's, and saving the fustration experianced when you do find that particular show yoou've been looking for, only to find it of horrible sound quality, incomplete, or other catastrophe.

My opinion: its about damn time!!

FMJ

jon snow
Mar 24, 2004, 07:19 PM
I agree, it will be great to have the entire catalog in one place. I get most of my live dead tapers that post shows on the internet. I also buy from the itunes music store. I have no problem buying the same music I used to get for free. Especially considering it will be from soundboard as opposed to a taper (not that they do a bad job) but the stuff from the vault has to be better quality. Does anyone know when this is supposed to happen?

Yes, there is a large quantity of live dead on the internet, for free, and not to mention the volume of material the band puts out on a regular basis.. the dicks pics, one from the vault, two from the vault.. ladies and gentleman..etcetc, but its all going to be in one place... saving many hours of searching for a particular show from multiple site's, and saving the fustration experianced when you do find that particular show yoou've been looking for, only to find it of horrible sound quality, incomplete, or other catastrophe.

My opinion: its about damn time!!

FMJ

pixiedave
Mar 31, 2004, 03:28 PM
do it

methodshop
Mar 31, 2004, 08:55 PM

you can do better than that. I buy used cds (~$2 to $8 each), rip them, and then sell them back to the same store. the cycle of music never ends.

http://www.methodshop.com/mp3/articles/iPodSupport.stm

Urdam
Apr 11, 2004, 03:24 PM
I agree