PDA

View Full Version : Surveys: Women Know Little About Urinary Infections

wdlove
Mar 19, 2004, 08:36 PM
Some Patients Shun Treatment

BOSTON -- A pair of surveys show women who contract urinary tract infections don't know the risk factors or simple preventative strategies. Some even avoid medical treatment altogether.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/health/2926459/detail.html?treets=bos&tml=bos_health&ts=T&tmi=bos_health_1_12150103172004

briankonar
Mar 19, 2004, 10:28 PM
regular yogurt with live culture :D
crank yankers is great.

"It's my birthday! Yay!"

ffactory
Mar 20, 2004, 12:22 AM
BOSTON -- A pair of surveys show women who contract urinary tract infections don't know the risk factors or simple preventative strategies. Some even avoid medical treatment altogether.

But seriously, how many men know *poot* about it? I'd say based on conversations with friends, male and female, over the years, that women have been the only ones to have a clue-- unfortunately though this was usually after a bout of UTI. The news report referenced above could have gone on to warn that left untreated, a UTI can lead to kidney infection +more, but instead just leaves you wondering... hmph, editors.

wdlove
Mar 20, 2004, 01:27 PM
But seriously, how many men know *poot* about it? I'd say based on conversations with friends, male and female, over the years, that women have been the only ones to have a clue-- unfortunately though this was usually after a bout of UTI. The news report referenced above could have gone on to warn that left untreated, a UTI can lead to kidney infection +more, but instead just leaves you wondering... hmph, editors.

To the credit of the article it does give ways to prevent a UTI, which is the best. They also apply to men.

Only the same percentage know that simple precautions -- proper hygiene, emptying the bladder after intercourse, and plenty of fluids -- can prevent it.

Happy B-Day briankonar. Hope that you had a special day. Any Mac purchase?

rainman::|:|
Mar 20, 2004, 02:19 PM
women know little about their own bodies unless they go looking for answers-- the male-dominated medical and education systems give very poor answers. it's true on both sides of the spectrum, junior-high sex ed still uses line diagrams of genetalia, but the most many women get out of sex-ed is a sentence or two about yeast infections. it's quite abysmal.

of course, in a society that until 100 years ago didn't uniformly accept the existence of a female orgasm, what can be said. i'd hate to be a woman.

paul