PDA

View Full Version : Google Sync Beta Now Available for iPhone

cpnotebook80
Feb 9, 2009, 12:07 PM
Anyone checked this out yet.
Also, i use nuevasync and since it does the same, wondering if it shows the icals or gcal colours in iphone too
http://www.google.com/mobile/apple/sync.html

Nuevasync has been doing the same and push too
https://www.nuevasync.com/

its early to tell if there is any big different between the 2

dpassen1
Feb 9, 2009, 12:15 PM
A step in the right direction but why isn't e-mail pushed?

cpnotebook80
Feb 9, 2009, 12:19 PM

Not sure, i know google will deploy it one day and it should have been done long time ago.
Maybe this google sync is a good thing.

Shoesy
Feb 9, 2009, 12:52 PM
using Exchange, wirelessly pushes changes from your Google contacts and calendar

(via waxy.org)

http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/2009/02/google-sync-beta-for-iphone-winmo-and.html

Now remind me again what I actually use mobile me for?

CrzyCanuck72
Feb 9, 2009, 01:01 PM
I really hope this means push gmail is coming soon

apeacock
Feb 9, 2009, 01:02 PM
If only they could do Exchange push mail with that... anyone know if it's coming from Google? This seems like a really good first step, but not anything extraordinary (since NuevaSync can already do contacts/calendar)

Shoesy
Feb 9, 2009, 01:06 PM

Now that would be cool.

Exley
Feb 9, 2009, 01:08 PM
Wow that looks really cool! Ive also been using Nuevasync to sync my calender but would feel a little better not having to route it through a third party. Hopefully they will implement push e-mail through this system.

MacRumors
Feb 9, 2009, 01:19 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/02/09/google-sync-beta-now-available-for-iphone/)

Google today announced the release of a beta version of Google Sync for iPhone (http://www.google.com/mobile/apple/sync.html). Google Sync serves to automatically synchronize Gmail contacts and calendar entries between a user's Google account and their mobile device. Originally released last year for the Blackberry, today's beta release extends the functionality to the iPhone and Windows Mobile devices, as well as providing contacts-only synchronization for SyncML (http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=98258)-compatible devices.Synchronize your contacts. Get your Google contacts quickly and easily to your iPhone. With Sync, you can have access to your address book at anytime and place that you need it.

Get calendar alerts. Using your iPhone's native calendar, you can now access multiple Google calendars, and be alerted for upcoming appointments with sound or vibration.

Always in sync. Your calendar and contacts stay synchronized whether you access them from your iPhone or from your computer. Add or edit contacts or calendar entries right on your device or on your Google account on the web.Importantly, Google notes that enabling Google Sync will erase any existing contacts and calendar data on the mobile device, so users should be sure to back up any needed data. Google also notes several limitations (http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=139635) present in the beta version.

Article Link: Google Sync Beta Now Available for iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/02/09/google-sync-beta-now-available-for-iphone/)

TheSpaz
Feb 9, 2009, 01:22 PM
Now that would be cool.

If Apple allowed this... nobody would use Mobile Me.

CrzyCanuck72
Feb 9, 2009, 01:25 PM
They 'allow' push yahoo...

TheSpaz
Feb 9, 2009, 01:26 PM
They 'allow' push yahoo...

As far as I know, Yahoo doesn't sync your Calendars and Contacts over the air.

apeacock
Feb 9, 2009, 01:29 PM
There isn't anything to allow from Apple - this is simply Google implementing the direct push/activesync protocols from Microsoft. It's the same thing the Zimbra people do.

matperk
Feb 9, 2009, 01:32 PM
Hmm. Looks like it uses activesync to sync everything. Seems like there will be push gmail in the near future...

rikers_mailbox
Feb 9, 2009, 01:36 PM
Hmm. Looks like it uses activesync to sync everything. Seems like there will be push gmail in the near future...

My thought exactly. I'm also thinking this will have some nice tie-ins with 10.6 iCal and AddressBook.

Now if only iPhone would support multiple ActiveSync, Google Cal and/or iCal accounts. My work uses ActiveStink and Out/Rage (our nickname for Outlook/Entourage) that occupies my iPhone calendar. (edit: and no, I do not want to pay $$ for MobileMe. Most of the functionality I want from MM I can get for free by being savvy with 3rd party options.)

Rat-Boy
Feb 9, 2009, 01:41 PM
Has anyone tried this?

Is it a true two way wireless sync just like MobileMe is for Calendars and Contacts?

cotxia
Feb 9, 2009, 01:43 PM
Has anyone tried this?

Is it a true two way wireless sync just like MobileMe is for Calendars and Contacts?

I have it set up and am playing with it as we speak. It is indeed a true two way sync, and seems to work flawlessly so far. Big kudos to Google for getting this out!

PoitNarf
Feb 9, 2009, 01:46 PM
I'd love to try it out, but my work email account already uses the 1 and only allowed Exchange configuration in the iPhone Mail app.

Rat-Boy
Feb 9, 2009, 01:53 PM
I have it set up and am playing with it as we speak. It is indeed a true two way sync, and seems to work flawlessly so far. Big kudos to Google for getting this out!
So basically, this does what NuevaSync does but it is made by Google instead.

Sweet.

I hope email is next.

I guess my only question now is, if you have Push turned on for this, but NOT email, does it still eat a man's battery up. :D

smtty00
Feb 9, 2009, 02:03 PM
Does anyone have any ideas on how to get my iPhone calendar colors to match those of the Google calendar itself?

Or at least to be able to manipulate those on my phone so I can control which color goes with which calendar?

petermcphee
Feb 9, 2009, 02:04 PM
This would a be a killer app for the iPhone. What's more, it would likely be low-cost or free. Talk about market share!

apeacock
Feb 9, 2009, 02:07 PM
For those having issues getting multiple calendars to sync from google apps for your domain (this is a copy/paste from my answer on the google mobile help forums):

Go to m.google.com, then tap "configure for your domain" at the bottom, then hit the sync button, then hit the button for for google apps - then you can edit your calendars that sync.

mmccaskill
Feb 9, 2009, 02:08 PM
I still really love the syncing of my Keychain and Safari bookmarks. I also like the MobileMe gallery LNF.

macfan881
Feb 9, 2009, 02:10 PM
The early Nail in the coffin for Mobile Me. just wait till there mobile storage comes out then there really is no point to mobile me.

cpnotebook80
Feb 9, 2009, 02:12 PM
Wow that looks really cool! Ive also been using Nuevasync to sync my calender but would feel a little better not having to route it through a third party. Hopefully they will implement push e-mail through this system.

Yes, i prefer a direct sync to my ical and address books without using google besides mobileme is too pricey for me.
for now, i just use ical and never look at gcal.I dont sync my contacts in fear that one day all will be lost.lol

apeacock
Feb 9, 2009, 02:18 PM
The early Nail in the coffin for Mobile Me. just wait till there mobile storage comes out then there really is no point to mobile me.

I have a feeling that once google gets push email out for this (if they do, hopefully), people will start migrating en masse away from MobileMe - you can already replace it with free services for the most part, such as google mail/contacts/calendar, dropbox for files (2 Gb limit though, but it works perfectly) and Flickr for photo sharing. I personally use JungleDisk for backup, though that is less than free. Flickr also works great for photo sharing.

And, on the plus side with google, you can use your own domain name (a huge reason why I don't use mobileme - I can't migrate the whole family domain onto it and don't want to set up forwarding for various reasons).

Rat-Boy
Feb 9, 2009, 02:22 PM
This works great and it is FAST.

I made a change to an existing calendar on Google, clicked on the calendar iPhone icon and the change was there literally that fast.

Thank you Google!!

kmcrawford
Feb 9, 2009, 02:24 PM
This works well. My only complaint is with the iPhone only supporting one exchange account. I had to delete my work exchange account to get my personal google calendar.

Rat-Boy
Feb 9, 2009, 02:26 PM
I believe Google has a stand alone calendar sync program that can sync Google to Outlook

Not sure if you can use both in tandem or not though.

bier-meister
Feb 9, 2009, 02:27 PM
Do contact groups get synced using this method? or are all contacts synced to one big group?

wiruzik
Feb 9, 2009, 02:29 PM
I would like to discover what port does it use.. It should be 443 or 80.. Does anybody try it please?

jashsayani
Feb 9, 2009, 02:33 PM
Excited to try it out :)

Here's a link to Google Sync video and iPhone setup page: http://theifoneblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/sync-your-iphone-with-google-sync.html

rogersmj
Feb 9, 2009, 02:43 PM
I see lots of people reporting that it works, but it's not doing anything for me. It wiped out my contacts and calendar (as I expected), but it won't push anything onto the phone!

OK there MUST be something wrong with my phone, Nuevasync did this exact same thing and I thought it was just their service but now I'm getting the same behavior with Google. The Exchange account seems to verify OK, but no data EVER shows up on the phone! Does anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently you have to explicitly enable mobile syncing in the admin panel for your Google Apps domain. Would have been nice to have that in the documentation somewhere, maybe right next to where it says yes Sync supports Google Apps for Your Domain!

megagoune
Feb 9, 2009, 02:51 PM
For those having issues getting multiple calendars to sync from google apps for your domain (this is a copy/paste from my answer on the google mobile help forums):

Go to m.google.com, then tap "configure for your domain" at the bottom, then hit the sync button, then hit the button for for google apps - then you can edit your calendars that sync.

Thanks! I was getting desperate for a moment :)
If only when I go to m.google.com it would stop using Russian as a default language.
But anyway, this is working well for me now. I think I will stop using nuevasync.

Rychiar
Feb 9, 2009, 02:54 PM
id be scared to touch this. my gmail contacts are a mess, i sure as hell dont want them overwriting whats already on my phone. if it just went the other way fine:confused:

str1f3
Feb 9, 2009, 02:56 PM
I still really love the syncing of my Keychain and Safari bookmarks. I also like the MobileMe gallery LNF.

i like mobile myself but foxmarks just announced support for safari (http://blog.foxmarks.com/ (http://http://blog.foxmarks.com/)) and you can get 1password for $30 or $40 buck for life and it has 256 bit encryption with an iphone app.

with google's exchange and with snow leopard's upcoming exchange support
apple is going to have a hard time with mobileme unless they introduce something revolutionary.

lazyrighteye
Feb 9, 2009, 02:57 PM
I was getting all excited until the erases current Contacts and no push gmail part.
Dang.

runplaysleeprun
Feb 9, 2009, 02:57 PM
So I've got all my contacts from gmail and my google calendars on my phone, but my regular contacts are all gone. How do I get them back? When I connect to iTunes, it says these things are being handled over the air.

?

yetanotherdave
Feb 9, 2009, 02:58 PM
Anyone else getting this? :S

Smith288
Feb 9, 2009, 02:59 PM
If your phones not syncing, try going to m.google.com/sync and click on your iPhone device in the Manage Devices screen. Check the 5 you want to show. For some reason, mine was unchecked.

ArtursBoy
Feb 9, 2009, 03:00 PM
Just the thing I've been waiting for, so far it is working with no problems. Lets hope "push" will soon be enable.

Topper82
Feb 9, 2009, 03:05 PM
NuevaSync users beware!! Google Sync does not currently allow multiple calendars to be sync'd. I'm sure this will be fixed shortly but I'm sticking with NuevaSync for now! Nice effort Google but c'mon! I know NuevaSync isn't a giant corporation but surely you've seen their website...

runplaysleeprun
Feb 9, 2009, 03:07 PM
I didn't see this anywhere, but I believe you need at least 10.5 to make this work. I'm running 10.4.11 and there is no option in Contacts to sync with Google in iTunes. A little digging led me Apple's site, which lists this feature requiring Mac OS X 10.5.3.

Is there anyway around this? As it stands, I have none of my original contacts on my phone, only Gmail ones. Ditto for calendars.

question fear
Feb 9, 2009, 03:10 PM
I was getting all excited until the erases current Contacts and no push gmail part.
Dang.

Yea...that's actually a limitation due to exchange, since it has to set up everything fresh. It's a bigger issue if you have exchange set up for work, since you can't have two exchange accounts on one device.

However, IIRC you can back up your contacts with an iTunes sync, set everything up via google, resync to iTunes and your contacts should then arrive with google.

I'll give it a shot tonight on my winmob phone and report back on how it does.

Shoesy
Feb 9, 2009, 03:11 PM
So I've got all my contacts from gmail and my google calendars on my phone, but my regular contacts are all gone. How do I get them back?
?

You remember that back up all your data thing google said every step of the way? Add that in using the address book import utility A - G.

http://bborofka.com/A_to_G/A_to_G.html

websyndicate
Feb 9, 2009, 03:15 PM
Anyone else getting this? :S

Thats why I didnt want to use this feature yet. I will go for push email but Im not touching my contacts or calendar anytime soon. I prefer BusySync work very good and the colors sync over. Mobile Me is great. I have not had any issue with it. Other than iDisk sucks which I dont use. I think people that Migrated over from .Mac to Me might of had an issue.

rogersmj
Feb 9, 2009, 03:16 PM
NuevaSync users beware!! Google Sync does not currently allow multiple calendars to be sync'd. I'm sure this will be fixed shortly but I'm sticking with NuevaSync for now! Nice effort Google but c'mon! I know NuevaSync isn't a giant corporation but surely you've seen their website...

Yes they do...it's documented, just not in the basic step-by-step.

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=139206&topic=14252

I've got multiple calendars syncing through Google now.

The Stig
Feb 9, 2009, 03:18 PM
Sorry Google, but I'm not going to delete my work e-mail that runs through Microsoft exchange, because I use that for it's calendar/contacts/e-mail just to get my e-mail calendar/contacts which are all on my moblieme account anyway.

What I've done is I've got my google account auto forwarding to my moblieme account which pushes to my iPhone and then I respond with my gmail account. So there you go, I've pretty much already have push gmail, it works pretty much the same, it doesn't take long to auto forward my e-mail to moblieme.

I'll looking forward to true push gmail, but really Google, this is nothing by a work around, it is hardly a service, but nice work around for some users who don't already use an exchange account, but I'm sorry Google, I'm not going to delete it just for you.

The Stig

dranakin
Feb 9, 2009, 03:18 PM
http://www.google.com/mobile/default/sync.html

Anyone try this out yet?

andyblila
Feb 9, 2009, 03:21 PM
I am wondering if we are able to "Push" sync with both Google and MobileMe? Does anyone know? I would love to sync over the air with both.:confused:

Shoesy
Feb 9, 2009, 03:23 PM
nice work around for some users who don't already use an exchange account, but I'm sorry Google, I'm not going to delete it just for you.

I guess not everybody gets paid as much as you do for being the UK's top superstar driver, so having this all happen for free would win over the extortionate amount you (and I by the way) pay for a mobile me account!

p.s. give Clarkson a slap from me will ya ;)

Topper82
Yes they do...it's documented, just not in the basic step-by-step.

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=139206&topic=14252

I've got multiple calendars syncing through Google now.

Got it! Sorry, I didn't see that doc until just now. You would think that would be an automatic thing but I guess not...Thanks!

room237
I'd really like to have my calender synced, but I prefer my iPhone to sync with my computer's contacts despite being able to use A to G to move my numbers into Google. This is disappointing.

ntrigue
Feb 9, 2009, 03:24 PM
This works great and it is FAST.

I made a change to an existing calendar on Google, clicked on the calendar iPhone icon and the change was there literally that fast.

Thank you Google!!

It works two-way?! Perfect :)

Shoesy
Feb 9, 2009, 03:26 PM
I'd really like to have my calender synced, but I prefer my iPhone to sync with my computer's contacts despite being able to use A to G to move my numbers into Google. This is disappointing.

Should work fine as long as you are running leopard (as far as I understand).

Kevlar
Feb 9, 2009, 03:28 PM

Go into the mail setting in your iphone then the account, and change On -> Off for contact syncing.

kas23
Feb 9, 2009, 03:28 PM
I wonder if it will just sync Google Calendar? I don't want it to sync my contacts because I don't keep those on Google.

dvanwinkle
Feb 9, 2009, 03:29 PM
Yeah, I have tried this. It works as expected but there are a couple problems.

1.) You can only have one exchange account on your iPhone, so if you have an exchange account already set up, you are screwed. I have one set up for work, that only syncs my email, but I can't use this to sync my contacts and calendar.

2.) This doesn't allow you to sync your email using push yet, which isn't a big issue, but it would be nice.

3.) You can already sync your contacts through iTunes, just not by push. This isn't that big of an advancement if you don't use the Google Calendar (which I do, so this would be really sweet if the iPhone allowed more than one exchange account just with different features enabled)

It would be really sweet if they set this up as a free MobileMe (.mac) replacement, but we all know Apple would never allow that.

-Dan
danvanwinkle.com

dvanwinkle
Feb 9, 2009, 03:29 PM
I wonder if it will just sync Google Calendar? I don't want it to sync my contacts because I don't keep those on Google.

Yes, you can just sync the calendar. You select your features when you set it up. Only select calendar.

S Brake
Feb 9, 2009, 03:31 PM
Is there a way to set up google sync without wiping out all my iPhone contacts?

cjandnw
Feb 9, 2009, 03:37 PM
So far so good.

TheMBC
Feb 9, 2009, 03:39 PM
Does this mean you have to have the Business Data Plan?
Probably not... but just asking since it's using Microsoft Exchange :D

*tries it out*

sneeks
Feb 9, 2009, 03:42 PM
I can't get it to verify my account despite my login and password being correct. Having read it does not support push email has removed the need to get this working anyway.

daihard
Feb 9, 2009, 04:04 PM
Yeah, I have tried this. It works as expected but there are a couple problems.

1.) You can only have one exchange account on your iPhone, so if you have an exchange account already set up, you are screwed. I have one set up for work, that only syncs my email, but I can't use this to sync my contacts and calendar.
I was really excited about Google Sync until I realized it uses Exchange ActiveSync. I, too, have my Exchange set up for work (mail and calendar), which means I can't use Google Sync even though I only want to sync with Google contacts that way.

I wonder if Apple will ever allow multiple Exchange accounts set up on the iPhone in the future?

reubs
Feb 9, 2009, 04:07 PM
What I want to know is if this allows for a two-way synced Google/iCal calendar to be manipulated on an iPod touch.

Here's what I mean: If I have an iCal calender on my home laptop and a Google Calendar on my office PC that I have synced to my iPod touch, can I manipulate that calendar on my iPod touch to have it reflect changes on Google Calendar.

Does this new system still only allow for read-only two way synced calendars on the iPhone and iPod touch?

Rat-Boy
Feb 9, 2009, 04:11 PM
If you want to sync you Google contacts and calendar, and you are not currently using Exchange, then yes, this is awesome.

I have been using it for a few hours now it it has worked flawlessly.

I also use the Google Calendar Sync program on my PC to sync with Outlook. I have this set up as one way since I just use Outlook as kind of a backup in case of data loss on the Google web site.

Rat-Boy
Feb 9, 2009, 04:34 PM
Thats why I didnt want to use this feature yet. I will go for push email but Im not touching my contacts or calendar anytime soon. I prefer BusySync work very good and the colors sync over. Mobile Me is great. I have not had any issue with it. Other than iDisk sucks which I dont use. I think people that Migrated over from .Mac to Me might of had an issue.
No, I didn't migrate, and MobileMe continues to suck rotten eggs.

The email on the web site is atrocious and just refreshes when it wants. Even in the middle of a 500 character email I was trying to compose.

Google blows MobileMe out of the water performance wise.

Rat-Boy
Feb 9, 2009, 04:35 PM
I'd really like to have my calender synced, but I prefer my iPhone to sync with my computer's contacts despite being able to use A to G to move my numbers into Google. This is disappointing.Then turn off the contacts part of the Google sync and just sync the calendar.

Seems simple enough to me.

What am I missing? :confused:

Rat-Boy
Feb 9, 2009, 04:37 PM
I'll looking forward to true push gmail, but really Google, this is nothing by a work around, it is hardly a service, but nice work around for some users who don't already use an exchange account, but I'm sorry Google, I'm not going to delete it just for you.

The Stig
Wait, this isn't a service because the IPHONE is LIMITED to one Exchange account per phone?

That doesn't make any sense to me what so ever as it seems the iPhone is the item with the limitation.

This service is awesome.

And it will get better if they start supporting push email as well.

AGSHender
Feb 9, 2009, 04:57 PM
The good: finally being able to get my Google Calendar and Gmail contacts onto my iPhone in the native apps and not through the web interface that makes me log in frequently and doesn't let me change anything.

The bad: I can't use it because my one allowed Exchange account is my work email.

Booooo, Apple. Let me use more than one Exchange account!

daneoni
Feb 9, 2009, 05:24 PM
Couldn't get it to work. It keeps asking me for a password.

kugino
Feb 9, 2009, 05:44 PM
it works great...and push is awesome. i'm glad i didn't renew .mac a couple of months ago. with BusySync and this google sync service, i don't have to rely on itunes except for safari bookmarks, which i don't care about that much.

being able to get podcasts over the air also obviates the need for itunes sync.

the only think i don't like about this sync is that calendar colors aren't consistent from google calendar to ical. might have to go and change the colors in google calendar now.

Tymmz
Feb 9, 2009, 05:59 PM
Just tried it, but since calendars and contacts don't sync properly I got rid of it straight away.

But a good start.

audioteknika
Feb 9, 2009, 06:17 PM
Goodbye NuevaSync ?

Guess these guys will turn off the plug soon..

CBJammin103
Feb 9, 2009, 06:17 PM
Wait, so if I use this to sync my Google Cal to my iPhone with push-able updates... I lose the ability to sync iCal to my iPhone AT ALL?

Am I correct..? Wow... :confused:

zub3qin
Feb 9, 2009, 06:24 PM
Can someone who knows Google Cal syncing help?

a) I have my work Exchange email account on my iPhone.
b) I have a separate private gmail account on my iPhone.
c) I want to keep my private iPhone calendar (iCal) separate from my work calendar which is on Outlook (others have access to my work calendar).

Questions:
1) Is there any way to get my work exchange calendar PLUS my private iCal calendar on my iPhone? I want to do this so that my private stuff stays local to my iPhone and Mac, and not sync'd to my work exchange account. Does Google Cal syncing allow this via multiple calendars somehow?

If not,
2) Is there any way to get my private iCal sync'd to my iPhone via Google Cal syncing? I heard something about only one exchange account is allowed on iPhone, so does that mean that if I am using an Exchange WORK account for email, only that work calendar can sync to my iPhone?

Thanks!

PurrBall
Feb 9, 2009, 06:46 PM
Wait, this isn't a service because the IPHONE is LIMITED to one Exchange account per phone?

That doesn't make any sense to me what so ever as it seems the iPhone is the item with the limitation.

This service is awesome.

And it will get better if they start supporting push email as well.

Yes, and we'll only have to flip the Mail switch and boom :D

I don't know if this is Google or the software on my device, but I have to re-launch the contacts app for it to update.

kugino
Feb 9, 2009, 06:51 PM
Wait, so if I use this to sync my Google Cal to my iPhone with push-able updates... I lose the ability to sync iCal to my iPhone AT ALL?

Am I correct..? Wow... :confused:

i believe this is correct. the google questions list says that once you do the push sync, you will not sync calendars via itunes.

i use busysync for this...it will sync with my google calendar. so now, when i do calendar updates on the phone, it goes iphone->gcal, then gcal->ical via busysync.

kas23
Feb 9, 2009, 07:07 PM
Couldn't get it to work. It keeps asking me for a password.

Exact same thing happening to me. I wonder what we are doing wrong. btw, I am just trying to sync my calendar only, not my contacts. I wonder if this has anything to do with it.

CBJammin103
Feb 9, 2009, 07:11 PM
i believe this is correct. the google questions list says that once you do the push sync, you will not sync calendars via itunes.

i use busysync for this...it will sync with my google calendar. so now, when i do calendar updates on the phone, it goes iphone->gcal, then gcal->ical via busysync.

Well. I gave this a try, and it seems to work... but BusySync isn't very "seamless" feeling yet. It's a great effort, but sometimes it seems like syncs take a couple minutes to "take effect." I just don't want to edit a calendar event in iCal and thoughtlessly close my computer before it updates the GoogleCal event accordingly.

Deleting events, in particular, seems to be clunky like this. However, I must concede that once iCal and Google Calendar are synced by BusyCal, the iPhone follows rather instantly, even on my Edge connection.

Saladinos
Feb 9, 2009, 07:38 PM

Not true. You can sync your iCal with Google Calendar (via CalDAV - check out Google's Calaboration tool to set it all up). The tool basically sets up iCal's in-built CalDAV support, which syncs updates as you make them (so it's like push).

Once you've done that, drag and drop your events from your current calendar in to the new Google one. You can create multiple calendars from Google's web app, but you'll need to run calaboration again to add them (best to add the calendars on the web, then calaborate them all at once). Once you've set up the multiple calendars, you'll need to visit m.google.com/sync on your iPhone and select the calendars to sync with it (5 maximum, which is apparently a limit of the iPhone, not something imposed by Google).

So it goes iCal -> Google Calendar -> iPhone. And it's all really snappy.

I've been using it since it was released earlier today, and so far it's great. Just purged my contacts on the web and synced with Address Book. Apparently google keeps those contacts and the people you occasionally email separate (in the corporate address book), so your contact list doesn't get filled.

Having some issues syncing the pictures from my address book contacts, but it appears that's an issue with Address Book's sync functionality. Going to try A to G.

Rat-Boy
Feb 9, 2009, 07:49 PM
Just tried it, but since calendars and contacts don't sync properly I got rid of it straight away.

But a good start.Can you be more specific so your post is helpful to others?

It is working flawlessly here.

rlb4
Feb 9, 2009, 07:53 PM
Is there any reason to use Nuevasync now? Don't they do the exact same thing.?

Rat-Boy
Feb 9, 2009, 07:54 PM
Is there any reason to use Nuevasync now? Don't they do the exact same thing.?Yes, they do the exact same thing, but they claim email is coming.

We shall see.

rlb4
Feb 9, 2009, 07:57 PM
Yes, they do the exact same thing, but they claim email is coming.

We shall see.

Don't you think Google will add Gmail push to this also?

Rat-Boy
Feb 9, 2009, 08:03 PM
Don't you think Google will add Gmail push to this also?
I pray for this every night.

But if Nueva can do it, I dont see why Google cant.

rlb4
Feb 9, 2009, 08:12 PM
So basically only one can be used, you have to choose Nuevasync or Google Sync but not both? Now if Google would make a really good "to do" app all would be complete.

kugino
Feb 9, 2009, 08:21 PM
Not true. You can sync your iCal with Google Calendar (via CalDAV - check out Google's Calaboration tool to set it all up). The tool basically sets up iCal's in-built CalDAV support, which syncs updates as you make them (so it's like push).

Once you've done that, drag and drop your events from your current calendar in to the new Google one. You can create multiple calendars from Google's web app, but you'll need to run calaboration again to add them (best to add the calendars on the web, then calaborate them all at once). Once you've set up the multiple calendars, you'll need to visit m.google.com/sync on your iPhone and select the calendars to sync with it (5 maximum, which is apparently a limit of the iPhone, not something imposed by Google).

I've been using it since it was released earlier today, and so far it's great. Just purged my contacts on the web and synced with Address Book. Apparently google keeps those contacts and the people you occasionally email separate (in the corporate address book), so your contact list doesn't get filled.

Having some issues syncing the pictures from my address book contacts, but it appears that's an issue with Address Book's sync functionality. Going to try A to G.
right, caldav is a good option...doesn't have all the functionalities of busysync, but it's free. i just use busysync b/c i've had it for awhile now and it works great.

QuarterSwede
Feb 9, 2009, 08:22 PM
But does it go the other way around?

I want it to go iPhone > Google Calendar > iCal

Since I have my iPhone on me all the time I almost never use iCal to input my events into my calendar. Of course if it syncs both ways that would be ideal.

Also something I really, really don't like. From Google's Known Limitations (http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=139635) page:
* Limited Contact Information
The iPhone can synchronize up to 3 email address. Phone number synchronization is limited to 2 Home numbers, 1 Home Fax, 1 Mobile, 1 Pager, 3 Work (one will be labeled 'Company Main') and one Work Fax number.

And something else. You can't sync nicknames and a lot of other specialty fields. I use those a lot, especially for my family (ex. My mother is "Mom").

kas23
Feb 9, 2009, 09:32 PM
So basically only one can be used, you have to choose Nuevasync or Google Sync but not both? Now if Google would make a really good "to do" app all would be complete.

Don't like Google Tasks?

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/tasks-paper-vs-iphone.html

reubs
Feb 9, 2009, 09:37 PM
But does it go the other way around?

I want it to go iPhone > Google Calendar > iCal

Since I have my iPhone on me all the time I almost never use iCal to input my events into my calendar. Of course if it syncs both ways that would be ideal.

Also something I really, really don't like. From Google's Known Limitations (http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=139635) page:

And something else. You can't sync nicknames and a lot of other specialty fields. I use those a lot, especially for my family (ex. My mother is "Mom").

My question exactly. If I can't go from the iPod touch-->Google Calendar-->iCal there's no reason for me to go with this, and paying for Mobile Me is still my best option.

kugino
Feb 9, 2009, 10:07 PM
My question exactly. If I can't go from the iPod touch-->Google Calendar-->iCal there's no reason for me to go with this, and paying for Mobile Me is still my best option.

it should. as long as you can go from ipod touch->gcal (which you can do via the new google sync), caldav will do the gcal to ical sync.

websyndicate
Feb 9, 2009, 11:15 PM
No, I didn't migrate, and MobileMe continues to suck rotten eggs.

The email on the web site is atrocious and just refreshes when it wants. Even in the middle of a 500 character email I was trying to compose.

Google blows MobileMe out of the water performance wise.

Dont get me wrong I really wish I could have my stuff on my Mac just sync so perfect to Google better yet just be on google. Yea I noticed today MobileMe loves to refresh when it wants. Gmail is far superiour in a million ways. Since I only have about 150 contacts I dont seem to have any problems.

I use services like Back2MyMac a lot, Sync Services is great. I sync all what and more so easily for me without me thinking. Seems like a lot of services are replacing each MobileMe service slowly.

I guess I could wish for something like Google Cloud in the Pref.pane and all my worries would be gone. :)

Push Gmail and Im sold

websyndicate
Feb 9, 2009, 11:16 PM

If you have a mac I highly suggest BusySync. Works Flawless.

CBJammin103
Feb 10, 2009, 12:47 AM
Okay, so updates:

iPhone <---> Google Cal syncing works seamlessly, immediately, and easily. No problems here with changing events, creating events, or deleting events.

It appears so far to me that using CalDAV to sync your iCal to a Google Calendar is also pretty immediate. Changes are pushed from iCal ---> Google and synced every __ minutes from Google ---> iCal.

This means that making a change in iCal will be pushed to your Google account and iPhone essentially immediately. Making a change on your iPhone will push to Google and then sync shortly to iCal. Seems like a decent solution to me!

What I've done is copy my iCals to Google Calendar, then synced them back through CalDAV. Seems to have done the trick! The only LIMITATION I've encountered is this: you can only sync 5 Google Calendars to the iPhone with the Exchange service. For me this is something of a problem... we'll see how it works out.

KiwiLee
Feb 10, 2009, 02:50 AM
Set this up couple of hours as very keen to try it with my Mobileme account expiring in 10days and not sure i wan tto renew, this could be great for me.

Problem, cant get my contacts to sync? What am i doing wrong?
Ical <> Google <> Iphone works great and fine (after setting up caldav)

But, contacts isn't syncing at all, its set ot in itunes, set to in iphone, and i think set in Mac os Address Book, but sure i done something wrong? Cant seem to find much info on setting the contacts up..

KiwiLee
Feb 10, 2009, 03:49 AM
Still trying to fix this, update:

Iphone <> Google works fine it seems, but nothing will sync either way to "Address Book" on my Imac ? I tried it first with the "Synchronise with Google" option, and then even tried the "Exchange" option but neither seems to have any affect whatsoever :(:(

Is this working for other?

Cybbe
Feb 10, 2009, 05:36 AM
How does this work with Address Book? For me, accuracy of the local contacts are more important than my online Gmail contacts.

zub3qin
Feb 10, 2009, 05:48 AM
If you are using an exchange email account for syncing just email (work) can you use the google exchange sync as well to sync the iCal gogle calendar? Or are you stuck with only one exchange account n the phone and therefore you can only sync the work calendar?

Okay, so updates:

iPhone <---> Google Cal syncing works seamlessly, immediately, and easily. No problems here with changing events, creating events, or deleting events.

It appears so far to me that using CalDAV to sync your iCal to a Google Calendar is also pretty immediate. Changes are pushed from iCal ---> Google and synced every __ minutes from Google ---> iCal.

This means that making a change in iCal will be pushed to your Google account and iPhone essentially immediately. Making a change on your iPhone will push to Google and then sync shortly to iCal. Seems like a decent solution to me!

What I've done is copy my iCals to Google Calendar, then synced them back through CalDAV. Seems to have done the trick! The only LIMITATION I've encountered is this: you can only sync 5 Google Calendars to the iPhone with the Exchange service. For me this is something of a problem... we'll see how it works out.

fa.ce
Feb 10, 2009, 06:00 AM
I actually use MobileMe and sync google calendar through BusyMac.
Is it possible to use both mobileme and google sync togheter (deleting busymac) to sync both iCal and Google contacts / calendar ?

spazzcat
Feb 10, 2009, 06:28 AM
Does this work better then Spanning Sync? Spanning Sync offend duplicates my contacts with drives me nuts.

Rat-Boy
Feb 10, 2009, 07:28 AM
Does this work better then Spanning Sync? Spanning Sync offend duplicates my contacts with drives me nuts.So far, it is working better for me than all the others I have tried.

NuevaSync
MobileMe

It is working better and with less bugs than either of those for me.

kdarling
Feb 10, 2009, 08:04 AM
Google is feeling the pressure of Microsoft.

MS is about to let their "My Phone" site loose, which is their version of MobileMe.

I love all the competition, except now I'll have to decide which one to use. Apple isn't free; too bad for them. Google is fine, except now they'll know way too much about me; not sure I like that. Do I embrace the devil to get what I want? Hmm.

danredwing
Feb 10, 2009, 08:55 AM
Funny, I just discovered Nuevasync last week and was pretty excited.

This is going to sync my iphone calendar directly with Google. Cool. I already use Busysync to line up iCal and GCal so my calendar is backed up on my machine.

It is also going to sync my contacts with Google. The problem is that although I can dump my contacts into Google, using A-G, I don't believe that there is any sync option that will keep my contacts updated with Address Book on my mac...and becaues Exchange is turned on, there is no syncing with iTunes manually...unless I leave the contacts Exchange syncing turned off on the iPhone.

Does anyone else not like this option? It is just a little disconcerting that my contacts aren't backed up on my machine physically.

Dan

Habakuk
Feb 10, 2009, 10:02 AM
Problem, cant get my contacts to sync? What am i doing wrong?
Ical <> Google <> Iphone works great and fine (after setting up caldav)

But, contacts isn't syncing at all, its set ot in itunes, set to in iphone, and i think set in Mac os Address Book, but sure i done something wrong? Cant seem to find much info on setting the contacts up..

Still trying to fix this, update:

Iphone <> Google works fine it seems, but nothing will sync either way to "Address Book" on my Imac ? I tried it first with the "Synchronise with Google" option, and then even tried the "Exchange" option but neither seems to have any affect whatsoever :(:(

Is this working for other?

How does this work with Address Book? For me, accuracy of the local contacts are more important than my online Gmail contacts.

You have to visit your gmail (email) account (Google account) even if you don't have activated a gmail email address. Look there for "Contacts". Import your Mac's Address Book manually with an *.abbu-file (German-language Mac, I didn't need "A to G").

When I start "Contacts" on the iPhone I have an empty address book. But there is an icon at the top: "Groups". In the groups list you'll find your Exchange account name. Tap on it. Now you can search all your contacts and you'll get the data. I've added a test contact in gmail's contacts and it will be "searchable" in iPhone's contacts within 30 sec. A sync in the other direction did not work.

I am not sure if it is intended that way but anyway - you can find your contacts.

mattwolfmatt
Feb 10, 2009, 10:29 AM
I wonder how long it will be "beta." Gmail's been beta for like 5 years now. I remember paying $3 for a gmail invite on ebay. Now it's free for everyone. Ah, supply and demand, I love you.

Tymmz
Feb 10, 2009, 10:40 AM
Can you be more specific so your post is helpful to others?

It is working flawlessly here.

Sure.

Some contacts got split up in several, because Google is limited to a certain amount of phone numbers per contact, profile pictures are not synced and not all of my calendars synced either.

TwiceNightly
Feb 10, 2009, 11:04 AM
Any news on battery life yet?

I currently have my Google sync on "manual" and want to switch it to push, but does that affect the battery life hugely?

reubs
Feb 10, 2009, 11:21 AM
Let me see if I understand this correctly.

Google can sync a calendar with an iPhone/iPod touch over the air using Microsoft's exchange servers. This means that such a calendar would be read/write, correct?

From there, that calendar can be synced up with iCal on the desktop side using Google's Calaboration, correct?

In theory, this should make it such that any changes that are made on the iPod touch/iPhone will be pushed to the Google calendar via the exchange servers, and from there the Google calendar will update on iCal. At that point, any changes made to said calendar in iCal would be synced up with the iPhone/iPod touch, right?

natasha69
Feb 10, 2009, 11:32 AM

For google aps, I got a message that says "sync has been disabled for your domain". Help the dummy here please. For the life of me I cannot find the sync setting for my domain under google aps. I'm a premier user, so I'm not sure if that changes what control panel I see or not.

Thx in advance.

Habakuk
Feb 10, 2009, 11:35 AM
Let me see if I understand this correctly...

Right. Any change you do in one of the three calendars (iCal/Mac, Google Calendar, Mobile Calendar/iPhone) will sync immediately with the other two calendars. Over the air without USB cables and without iTunes.

natasha69
Feb 10, 2009, 11:41 AM
I actually use MobileMe and sync google calendar through BusyMac.
Is it possible to use both mobileme and google sync togheter (deleting busymac) to sync both iCal and Google contacts / calendar ?

the question, is why would you use mobileme then. i have mobileme as well.

if googlecalenders syncs to your phone
you use googlecalendars as your web calendar tool
you can sync ical to googlecalenders for your mac

why even use mobileme calendars?

natasha69
Feb 10, 2009, 11:48 AM
For google aps, I got a message that says "sync has been disabled for your domain". Help the dummy here please. For the life of me I cannot find the sync setting for my domain under google aps. I'm a premier user, so I'm not sure if that changes what control panel I see or not.

Thx in advance.

Ok, I answered my own question.

For Google Apps, you have to login to your dashboard. Then click on MOBILE. Only in that sub menu do you see a checkbox to enable Google Sync for Mobile. Click on that.

Then go to m.google.com via your mobile device. On the bottom there is a google aps button. Enter your domain. Then click on the sync setting up top for your domain and you can configure it to what you need.

Rat-Boy
Feb 10, 2009, 11:56 AM
Sure.

Some contacts got split up in several, because Google is limited to a certain amount of phone numbers per contact, profile pictures are not synced and not all of my calendars synced either.Thanks.

Yea, on the limitations page, it says it is limited to 6 phone numbers.

As far as Calendars and Pictures go, I don't use but one calendar and no pictures, so I wouldn't have noticed that.

So there is one advantage in MobileMe's favor currently.

Habakuk
Feb 10, 2009, 12:17 PM
I don't know if it has been mentioned before but after following this Google Calendar help document Get Started with CalDAV (http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=99358#ical) (then "Enable Google Calendar in Apple's iCal") I could easily put my Mac's iCal into the fabulous and very new Microsoft Google Live Sync Cloud. As I wrote before (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=7085297&postcount=111) - any change in one of the three calendars will sync wireless to the others (with the known limitations). And snappier as you'll find the plug of your USB cable ;-)

I've added an event in my Mac's iCal (BTW works with FlexCal but not with the Widget QuickCal and you have to choose the sync calendar) and it showed up within seconds in my iPhone's Mobile Calendar (even some seconds earlier than in Google Calendar where you have to hit refresh). This is very usable and seems to work better than Contacts Sync.

reubs
Feb 10, 2009, 12:36 PM
Great to know. Looks like I know what I'll be working on this evening after work!

KiwiLee
Feb 10, 2009, 12:39 PM
You have to visit your gmail (email) account (Google account) even if you don't have activated a gmail email address. Look there for "Contacts". Import your Mac's Address Book manually with an *.abbu-file (German-language Mac, I didn't need "A to G").

When I start "Contacts" on the iPhone I have an empty address book. But there is an icon at the top: "Groups". In the groups list you'll find your Exchange account name. Tap on it. Now you can search all your contacts and you'll get the data. I've added a test contact in gmail's contacts and it will be "searchable" in iPhone's contacts within 30 sec. A sync in the other direction did not work.

I am not sure if it is intended that way but anyway - you can find your contacts.

Thanks, but thats not my problem. I got all my contacts "transfered" all fine to all apps and devices. But if i add a test contact on iphone, it only appears on the google web, it does not push to my Home Desktop, and vice versa, if i add a contact on desktop, it doesn't push anywhere at all. The connection between Web and Iphone is great and fast. But my "Address Book" App on Mac just doesn't seem to be talking to anything..? :(

Holy the Goalie
Feb 10, 2009, 01:13 PM
Will Google Sync copy additional contact fields to gmail, like birthdays, etc? It doesn't seem like it would, since I haven't found a "birthday" field in gmail.

Assuming that gmail can't handle birthdays, can I sync my contacts with gmail (thereby erasing all my contacts on my phone and replacing them with my gmail contacts), add birthdays/additional fields, and have my iPhone retain those additional fields during subsequent over-the-air syncs?

This is a little new for me, and I'm kind of a tech retard, so if I made any incorrect assumptions, please let me know.

CBJammin103
Feb 10, 2009, 02:55 PM
If you are using an exchange email account for syncing just email (work) can you use the google exchange sync as well to sync the iCal gogle calendar? Or are you stuck with only one exchange account n the phone and therefore you can only sync the work calendar?

Good question... I don't know, I don't have an Exchange Server for work, this is my first experience with MSExchange. I have a suspicion that the answer is that you are stuck with only one exchange account for everything (i.e., you can't use different Exchange accounts for different services as of now).

I think the inability to sync to both Exchange and iCal/Address Book is a big hole in the feature set here, personally.

nippyjun
Feb 10, 2009, 03:00 PM
How can i use google sync to keep my outlook 2007 contact lists on 2 different pc's synchronized with eachother and my iphone.

Or is there another suggestion on how to keep them synchronized.

I currently use google calendar sync to keep my outlook 2007 calendars on my 2 pc's synced.

It's the contacts that i've been unable to figure out an easy way to sync.

Thanks.

ntrigue
Feb 10, 2009, 03:28 PM
I played with this yesterday and I am confident that it may replace MobileMe. Funny thing; the colors do not coordinate between Calendar.app and Google Calendar.

Personally, the bookmarks syncing is an important component of 'push' for me. On average I add 5 bookmarks per day.

GMail in actuality is 'push' enough for me. Many suggest that it contacts the IMAP server every three minutes.

I would love to eliminate the $99/year MobileMe as I haven't utilized the photo uploads as much as I expected.

Slurpy2k8
Feb 10, 2009, 10:32 PM
I spent a couple hrs yesterday setting this up, and cleaning up my gmail contacts in preparation. This is awesome- unlike mobile-me, it has worked flawlessly so far, with contacts syncing flawlessly and instantaneously.

Apple can screw off with mobileme being a premium service. This stuff should be free, and I appreciate that Google has pulled this off. I'm trying to research the best way to get ical+addressbook to also sync in this fashion- but if not, its no big loss. Since I'm always in gmail, this solution makes the most sense. This has definitely replaced itunes contact/calendar syncing for me, and I'm thankful for it.

reubs
Feb 10, 2009, 11:14 PM
Is anyone else getting the notice that your account may not be able to send or receive e mails?

Edit: I'm an idiot; I guess this is b/c it's not yet ready to sync with e mail?

Also, what's the drawback if I choose not to sync contacts up with this and opt to keep my Address Book synced up on my Mac instead?

snowpuff
Feb 11, 2009, 12:32 AM
long time lurker... first time poster

i have set this up and have found it to sync photos as well (from google contacts --> iphone or iphone --> google contacts) contrary to a previous poster's observation

i have been set up for 2 days now and FWIW i have seen lag of between almost instantaneous to 90-120 seconds for a contact to sync

calendar syncing has been even better with lag of always less than 10 seconds in my experience

KiwiLee
Feb 11, 2009, 12:37 AM
Thanks, but thats not my problem. I got all my contacts "transfered" all fine to all apps and devices. But if i add a test contact on iphone, it only appears on the google web, it does not push to my Home Desktop, and vice versa, if i add a contact on desktop, it doesn't push anywhere at all. The connection between Web and Iphone is great and fast. But my "Address Book" App on Mac just doesn't seem to be talking to anything..? :(

100s of people trying this out, nobody please ? :confused:

iWoz
Feb 11, 2009, 04:59 AM
Does it make sense to stay with MobileMe if you have a mac? ie Ical/mail/iphoto

reubs
Feb 11, 2009, 09:03 AM
Another issue: is anyone getting "Calendar not available" when trying to sync up a calendar? I exported my iCal calendars to import into Google, but only one of them would sync up.

Any ideas?

Rat-Boy
Feb 11, 2009, 09:20 AM
Another issue: is anyone getting "Calendar not available" when trying to sync up a calendar? I exported my iCal calendars to import into Google, but only one of them would sync up.

Any ideas?Did you go to http://m.google.com/sync in your Safari browser on the iPhone and specify which calendars to sync?

You have to physically tell it to sync the 4 other option calendars or it only sync's the default.

I would bookmark this page on your phone.

reubs
Feb 11, 2009, 09:30 AM
I guess I posted that in the wrong place. It's actually on the Google Calendar end; it's nothing to do with my iPod touch.

When I create a calendar in Google and try to import events from another calendar, I get a message saying, "Calendar is not available at this time. Please try again later." I've been trying again later since last night!

Thanks, though, for the heads up about the m.google page.

ksmith80209
Feb 11, 2009, 10:18 AM
Since google sync uses Exchange, does it then allow you to accept meeting invitations from your iPhone? One of my big gripes is that a client will send me a meeting invitation and when I view it on the iphone, I can't view the meeting details or accpet/decline the meeting. I've heard that if you use Exchange (I use imap) this isn't an issue. Any idea if using google sync "corrects" this?

Rat-Boy
Feb 11, 2009, 10:55 AM
Since google sync uses Exchange, does it then allow you to accept meeting invitations from your iPhone? One of my big gripes is that a client will send me a meeting invitation and when I view it on the iphone, I can't view the meeting details or accpet/decline the meeting. I've heard that if you use Exchange (I use imap) this isn't an issue. Any idea if using google sync "corrects" this?Check the known limitations page:

Looks like there are a few issues with recurring events and what not, but that it simply doesn't work or that you can't accept and decline.

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=139635&cbid=10m4dfg4wtn7t&src=cb&lev=answer

ksmith80209
Feb 11, 2009, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the info!

dvkid
Feb 11, 2009, 01:20 PM
Did you go to http://m.google.com/sync in your Safari browser on the iPhone and specify which calendars to sync?

You have to physically tell it to sync the 4 other option calendars or it only sync's the default.

I would bookmark this page on your phone.

I'm having issues with this part of the process. When I login all I get is a page giving me some info about what Sync does and a link with instructions on how to setup Sync on my desktop.

I think the problem is my Google account username and my Google Apps login (for my domain) are the same... Any idea how to get around this?

dvkid
Feb 11, 2009, 01:41 PM
I'm having issues with this part of the process. When I login all I get is a page giving me some info about what Sync does and a link with instructions on how to setup Sync on my desktop.

I think the problem is my Google account username and my Google Apps login (for my domain) are the same... Any idea how to get around this?

Did more digging and figured out that it had to do with my Google Account versus my Google Apps for Your Domain username. However, this still doesn't fix my problem of not being about to login to m.google.com/sync. Anybody else done this?

Diaresi
Feb 11, 2009, 02:09 PM

Not sure, i know google will deploy it one day and it should have been done long time ago.
Maybe this google sync is a good thing.

Now that would be cool.

If Gmail isn't being pushed on your iPhone, that is PURELY Apple's fault. I use a N95 8GB which is using Gmail on IMAP whereby email is pushed (as far as I can guess using the IMAP idle command or something similar). Email is instantly delivered and if i delete a message in Mail.app my phone instantly lights up and the message is removed from my inbox.

In other words, blame Apple. Not Google.

dvkid
Feb 11, 2009, 02:19 PM
In other words, blame Apple. Not Google.

Google has outwardly stated that push email is not available on Sync for the iPhone and iPod Touch. This is not because push is purely not available on the iPhone (Microsoft Exchange and Yahoo both offer it) but because Google's implementation of ActiveSync isn't setup to allow it yet.

Keep in mind, Google has different implementations of software for different hardware. Not every feature can be made available for every type of hardware at the same time, but that certainly doesn't make it Apple's fault.

dvkid
Feb 11, 2009, 03:48 PM
Found the answer thanks to a user on the Google Admin forums.

Visit m.google.com on your iPhone and tap "Configure Your Domain" at the very bottom.

Enter your Google Apps domain and click Go. This will bring up buttons to specific services for your domain. Click "Sync" and you end up at the same page as if you'd browsed to m.google.com/sync, except this time you're asked to login with your Google Apps account as opposed to your regular Google Account.

Works like a charm!

reubs
Feb 11, 2009, 04:53 PM
Has anyone had trouble importing an iCal calendar into Google? I keep getting notices saying that Calendar is not available, but I can't imaging it's getting hammered with requests.

Would someone at least try to import an iCal calendar in to see what happens?

Diaresi
Feb 11, 2009, 06:26 PM
Google has outwardly stated that push email is not available on Sync for the iPhone and iPod Touch. This is not because push is purely not available on the iPhone (Microsoft Exchange and Yahoo both offer it) but because Google's implementation of ActiveSync isn't setup to allow it yet.

Keep in mind, Google has different implementations of software for different hardware. Not every feature can be made available for every type of hardware at the same time, but that certainly doesn't make it Apple's fault.

IMAP is not Google Sync, Exchange or ActiveSync. It is IMAP4. A standard. Of which part of it is the idle command (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAP_IDLE). I haven't found anywhere on Google where they say they support this, but it sure works on my phone and so should work on any device that supports IMAP.

http://img.skitch.com/20090212-kgxea15k8ky61872uxd71km18r.jpg

That's Mail.app on a Mac. Which means it shouldn't take a few mins to put it on the iPhone. But of course you wouldn't pay for MobileMe now would you... :rolleyes:

Rat-Boy
Feb 11, 2009, 07:07 PM
IMAP is not Google Sync, Exchange or ActiveSync. It is IMAP4. A standard. Of which part of it is the idle command (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAP_IDLE). I haven't found anywhere on Google where they say they support this, but it sure works on my phone and so should work on any device that supports IMAP.

http://img.skitch.com/20090212-kgxea15k8ky61872uxd71km18r.jpg

That's Mail.app on a Mac. Which means it shouldn't take a few mins to put it on the iPhone. But of course you wouldn't pay for MobileMe now would you... :rolleyes:
If that is supposed to be a setting on the iPhone, well, it isn't anywhere that I see in the mail app setup for my GMail.

It has the IMAP Prefix setting, but nothing about an IDLE anything.

Bummer.

zub3qin
Feb 11, 2009, 08:37 PM
I am a happy Mac, iPhone, iLife user.

But doesn't this Google Sync, iCal, caldev stuff seem very windows-like? Since when do you need to read tons of posts on forums to get an iPhone/mac app to work? Nobody seems to know everything about how to set this up or how it works.....

I'm waiting for a bit until this becomes more Apple-like and easier to set up.

QuarterSwede
Feb 11, 2009, 08:57 PM
If that is supposed to be a setting on the iPhone, well, it isn't anywhere that I see in the mail app setup for my GMail.

It has the IMAP Prefix setting, but nothing about an IDLE anything.

Bummer.
That's what he's saying. GMail supports IMAP IDLE but the iPhone doesn't. The strange thing is that the iPhone does support Yahoo push. I don't see why they wouldn't add IMAP IDLE as well. It's what, a few lines of code, if that.

All I know is that it's pissing me off that Google keeps half-assing features like this. I'm greatful they added Exchange support but not allowing you do sync with your local address book as well is just asinine. I can say that I'm glad they finally got Calendar syncing right. Collaboration is nice but it's only one way. Also, why they heck can't they get Calendar colors right? Come on Google. This is almost as bad as MobileMe.

Rat-Boy
Feb 11, 2009, 09:01 PM

But doesn't this Google Sync, iCal, caldev stuff seem very windows-like? Since when do you need to read tons of posts on forums to get an iPhone/mac app to work? Nobody seems to know everything about how to set this up or how it works.....

I'm waiting for a bit until this becomes more Apple-like and easier to set up.Took me 2 minutes to set it up. Much shorter than MobileMe as I didn't have to put in my Credit Card info.

Not sure how much easier it could be.

Of course, I refuse to use an email client program and that monkey wrench is probably what makes it seem hard to configure.

rhett7660
Feb 11, 2009, 09:04 PM

I'm waiting for a bit until this becomes more Apple-like and easier to set up.

You could always go the MobileMe route? It is very easy to setup etc. You just have to be willing to pay for it. The stuff here is free and it is basically doing the same thing as MobileMe is with the exception of push email.

twoodcc
Feb 11, 2009, 09:09 PM
glad to see this available for iphone

Habakuk
Feb 12, 2009, 07:17 AM
Sorry it's just a Google translation (http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Frossau.wordpress.com%2F2009%2F02%2F10%2Fgoogle-sync%2F&sl=de&tl=en&history_state0=) of my German-language report (http://rossau.wordpress.com/2009/02/10/google-sync/):

Our almost two year old MacBook Pro in the editorial office experienced its second or third OS-X-Total crash, and indeed for the first time ever revealed - that since a few days pimped with Google Sync/Google Calaboration - iCal showed a degree of uncertainty. Shortly before the screenshot (see attachment) with the iPhone camera could be shot (the system was very slow, the fan ventilated at full speed), a few deeply buried iCal dialog boxes complained on some "calendar, which could not be found". After another ten minutes of fruitless efforts was the last conclusion of wisdom, to press the main button at the top right of MBP for longer than six seconds... There was fortunately no loss of data (also in the crash log is after the reboot nothing), and now everything seems again to run as if nothing had happened.

At this point was again stressed that the new features to beta versions. So if you are in an absolutely safe working OS X, you should steer clear of it for the moment.

pito189
Feb 14, 2009, 04:47 PM
The speed at which everything syncs is great but I've seen a drastic drop in my battery life so I've decided to turn it off.

Also what is the point of getting all your contacts erased from the phone when you turn syncing off, that seems asinine to me?!

dvkid
Feb 15, 2009, 11:56 AM
Also what is the point of getting all your contacts erased from the phone when you turn syncing off, that seems asinine to me?!

That's not necessarily being done on purpose, its just how Exchange works out. If you're getting information from your desktop but want to get info from your server, it erases the information placed by the desktop. Otherwise, you'd end up with duplicates and it'd be quite messy.

Habakuk
Feb 15, 2009, 12:40 PM
OS-X crash

I think I know what the reason was. After establishing Google Sync, Microsoft Exchange and Google Calaboration I registered an E-Mail address at Google Mail. This triggers an automatic change of all Google Apps settings including Google Calendar. The google-synced iCal has to be informed via "Settings - Accounts" then (change user data) otherwise it will search the calendar infinitely and pop up message windows.

When the user doesn't react to those windows because they are buried under 30 instances of other programs it will end with something like a loop and the machine goes hot, becomes slow and unsafe.

KiwiLee
Feb 28, 2009, 06:55 PM
I still cant get my apple address book to sync with google contacts?
Does is even work ?

reubs
Mar 1, 2009, 08:04 AM
I had a solution for this the other day, but I forgot to bookmark it. Let me see if I can make sense of it for you...

Open up Preferences in Address Book.
Under the "General" tab, click Exchange.
Type in your user name and password for Google Mail, and then put

"http://www.google.com/a/google.com"

in the Outlook Web Access server.

That should set you up. I think it's worked for me to this point, but I haven't been keep a keen eye on it b/c I don't use my Mac address book all that often.

calebb0917
Mar 1, 2009, 03:28 PM
Is it just me or is GoogleSync basically the same thing as MobileMe but free? I dont really see why people would pay for MobileMe when GoogleSync is the same thing except for the push email and its free. Anybody agree?

TheJackal
Mar 11, 2009, 04:47 PM
I had a solution for this the other day, but I forgot to bookmark it. Let me see if I can make sense of it for you...

Open up Preferences in Address Book.
Under the "General" tab, click Exchange.
Type in your user name and password for Google Mail, and then put

"http://www.google.com/a/google.com"

in the Outlook Web Access server.

That should set you up. I think it's worked for me to this point, but I haven't been keep a keen eye on it b/c I don't use my Mac address book all that often.

Isn't working for me....still no contacts in my Address Book! :(

ROM3000
Mar 26, 2009, 08:33 PM
Does anyone know if you can sync just your google calender and keep your contacts seperate, so you don't lose any contact information. Thanks.

Habakuk
Mar 27, 2009, 06:44 AM
Does anyone know if you can sync just your google calender and keep your contacts seperate, so you don't lose any contact information. Thanks.

Yes you can. By not-doing ;) In iTunes, click in the left row on your device iPhone, main window, tab "Infos": Just don't change anything under "Contacts" and it will sync your Contacts like before via USB cable even if you turn on Calendar for being synced via MS Exchange.