PDA

View Full Version : G5 Sphere???

geeman
Nov 27, 2001, 07:57 AM
Has anyone heard about a "G5 Sphere", which uses an AirPort 2 card to transmit video signals wirelessy? Or have I been had? Can send the link to anyone who's interested.

Cheers,

GeeMan

Foocha
Nov 27, 2001, 08:08 AM
Yup, I've heard of it. It runs OS XI which uses a revolutionary new 3D user interface called Solar. It also uses Newton's hand writing recognition system, and has a detatchable Web tablet.

It comes with a free Apple PDA called iPad which uses technology Apple has aquired from its recent purchase of Adobe, Palm, Handspring and Microsoft.

geeman
Nov 27, 2001, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Foocha
Yup, I've heard of it. It runs OS XI which uses a revolutionary new 3D user interface called Solar. It also uses Newton's hand writing recognition system, and has a detatchable Web tablet.

It comes with a free Apple PDA called iPad which uses technology Apple has aquired from its recent purchase of Adobe, Palm, Handspring and Microsoft.

Have a look at http://www.theapplecollection.com/design/macproto/g5sphere.html

Falleron
Nov 27, 2001, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by geeman
Has anyone heard about a "G5 Sphere", which uses an AirPort 2 card to transmit video signals wirelessy? Or have I been had? Can send the link to anyone who's interested.

Cheers,

GeeMan

I think you have been had!!! Ok, it looks cool but where would the expansion come from?? Maybe a new cube though??

Foocha
Nov 27, 2001, 08:56 AM
Interesting that one of the links on that page links to another page called "spoof.html"

Falleron
Nov 27, 2001, 08:59 AM
I think that if it was an actual picture of a future product Apple would have dealt with it! I have seen this picture in the past before.

mnkeybsness
Nov 27, 2001, 09:50 AM
keep dreaming guys

mymemory
Nov 27, 2001, 11:41 AM
That "Sphere" is as useless as the cube, only the cube was real... a real failure.

Just imagine the room in your desk for that thing. If you move it a bit and one of the leg fall out of the table, the whole world is gonna breake a part.

Please quit adding comments about such cheap post.

akuma
Nov 27, 2001, 12:01 PM
That sphere was made in program called Bryce (perhaps you've heard of it) and like others have said, I think you've been had.

As far as the cube being a failure....

My cube seems to function properly and have had exactly zero problems with it.

The failure part of the cube was brought about by its high price and biased journalism.

It wasn't a failure as a computer, but rather it failed as a commodity.

evildead
Nov 27, 2001, 12:14 PM
The sphere was an old spoof.. phots have been arround for like 6 months If I can remember right...

The Cube was the best computer no body used..

I kinda wanted one.. but it just was too expensive for me at the time.. plus not very expandable.

I hear now they are displayed in museums.

SPG
Nov 27, 2001, 12:57 PM
Wow! My office is a museum? I got a cube for the office as a second graphics/web design machine and it's worked great. It was a deal too when i got it...too bad they didn't debut at those prices.
Thankfully the only expansion we've ever needed for it has been very easy over firewire...zip, scanner, HD.
And oh yeah, compared to the bees nest that the studio is with all the scsi arrays and G4 towers and decks buzzing the cube is an absolute joy to sit there and hear the music without noise.
Failure? Not for me.

Falleron
Nov 27, 2001, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by SPG
Wow! My office is a museum? I got a cube for the office as a second graphics/web design machine and it's worked great. It was a deal too when i got it...too bad they didn't debut at those prices.
Thankfully the only expansion we've ever needed for it has been very easy over firewire...zip, scanner, HD.
And oh yeah, compared to the bees nest that the studio is with all the scsi arrays and G4 towers and decks buzzing the cube is an absolute joy to sit there and hear the music without noise.
Failure? Not for me.

As you said, its a great machine but it was a little too overprised when it came out! Oh well, maybe a return someday!!

SPG
Nov 27, 2001, 01:27 PM
I don't think that we need to re-introduce the cube, but I hope that Apple learns from it. I still don't consider the cube to be a failure, just unpopular with consumers. Apple is very good at breakthrough design, and I hope that they don't hold back on the new products just because everybody has picked the cube as the number one target to say anything bad about Apple.
Bring on the new designs, think different and all that, and keep the innovations coming.

SPG
Nov 27, 2001, 01:29 PM
SPG You are an idiot!
How could it not be considered a failure if in fact you say that it was unpopular with consumers?

SPG
Nov 27, 2001, 01:33 PM
Well, SPG I'll tell you.
The design was a success.
The engineering was a success.
The cube was a thing of beauty.
Silence.
G4 speed.
Firewire.
Small size.
Easy Ram upgrade access.
The public just wasn't ready for it, and honestly I think they were scared of it.

SPG
Nov 27, 2001, 01:35 PM
Okay SPG, It was a nice machine, but how could it be a real pro computer if you couldn't put in another card for say, SCSI connection, or second monitor support?

SPG
Nov 27, 2001, 01:39 PM
I don't think it was meant to be the Pro machine for everyone, SPG. It didn't replace the G4 tower did it? All the things you could ever want were still available in the Tower, but for some who wouldn't need those things or had another tower it was great.
Apple's real misstake was assuming that people would pay a premium for advanced design. If it were considered another option that was priced a little lower and had lower sales objectives, the cube would have been considered a great sucess and marvel of design.

spikey
Nov 27, 2001, 01:49 PM
And the fact that the cube was overpriced.

Falleron
Nov 27, 2001, 02:12 PM
What needs to happen is that the PowerMacs need to become slightly more expandable (say 1 extra pci slot) then produce a "cube like" computer that has a greater expandability than the previous cube (say 1/2 pci slots). That would suit most comuter users!

spikey
Nov 27, 2001, 02:16 PM
And reduced prices.

Disdain
Nov 27, 2001, 02:23 PM
keep dreaming guys

isn't that what pl said about the G5 chip hmmmmm

Falleron
Nov 27, 2001, 02:26 PM
We all want cheaper computers

spikey
Nov 27, 2001, 02:28 PM
A spherical computer???
Oh bloody hell, what sort of a ********d up idea is that.

Falleron
Nov 27, 2001, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by spikey
A spherical computer???

Well, it would certainly get noticed!

spikey
Nov 27, 2001, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Falleron
Originally posted by spikey
A spherical computer???

Well, it would certainly get noticed!

As you watch it roll across your desktop, yes.

Falleron
Nov 27, 2001, 02:54 PM
ha ha until it goes smash!!

SPG
Nov 27, 2001, 03:23 PM
Not as bad as a beige box that goes crash everyday.

SPG
Nov 27, 2001, 03:24 PM
Hurry! Hurry! Hurry! Step right up folks and see the amazing Jobzini brothers with their brand new deathdefying G5 cube juggling! Thousands of dollars of unexpandable microprocessing machines in the air all at the same time!

Just as likely a scenario as the G5 sphere itself.

rekras
Nov 27, 2001, 05:02 PM
while on the subject of g5 case designs, i think the case will retain most of it's height but it will be considerably thinner, maybe a cylinder or a monolith type deal, who knows. with apples engineering ability i wouldnt be suprised if the unit is half of it's originally size while still retaining it's expandability. as long as the case doesnt keep the same design with a new color (g4 quicksilver) i think i'll be happy. what do u guys think...?

Purdue CS
Nov 27, 2001, 08:49 PM
nonononono

please no. dont say that. the current G5 design may be quite nice BUT ITS OOOOOLLLDDD. its basically the same Yosimte styling with a few smoothed edges here and there. whats better than new industrial design coming out of apple (aside from a pda) ???

everybody hold hands and say it with me...

WE WANT NEW G5 CASES.

jefhatfield
Nov 27, 2001, 11:56 PM
...at least for professional mac users

but for home mac users like me, 900 MHz G3 or G4 entry level or even a gigahertz would be really cool

...my 300 MHz ibook is getting old and even if i up the ram to 288, os x will not work very fast and efficiently with photoshop and illustrator

so i am stuck with os 9 and the older style mac computing which isn't bad as long as i don't crash

you unix running, os x crowd will be complaining for another six months until all the bugs are ironed out but after that, os x will definitely be the standard for all mac home and pro users

[Edited by jefhatfield on 11-28-2001 at 01:13 AM]

jefhatfield
Nov 28, 2001, 12:07 AM
...even if it takes one more year for the bugs to be out and apps to be native for os x, i believe it is still worth all the trouble

i don't think any ground from apple's five percent will be lost since microsoft has really gone into some strange territory with their xp and their unconventional install and register procedure, which by the way, i think they will change if they want to continue to sell their new flagship operating system

many mac and pc users like me who do both will simply have to get new machines and that is all she wrote...sub-four hundred megahertz machines just don't cut it anymore

Disdain
Nov 28, 2001, 03:14 AM
hmmmm spg and Falleron must have 50% of the posts in here hehe

Falleron
Nov 28, 2001, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by Disdain
hmmmm spg and Falleron must have 50% of the posts in here hehe

Not quite

SPG
Nov 28, 2001, 01:46 PM
Nope, not yet.

SPG
Nov 28, 2001, 01:46 PM
Still not quite 50%

SPG
Nov 28, 2001, 01:47 PM
Whew, there it is 50% of pointless posting! Weeeeeee!

Disdain
Nov 30, 2001, 12:58 AM
'Whew, there it is 50% of pointless posting! Weeeeeee!'

lol

Falleron keep posting you are almost at member status :)

Falleron
Nov 30, 2001, 02:33 AM
Its about time, member sounds a lot better than Junior Member!!

ThlayliTheFierce
Nov 30, 2001, 02:35 AM
A new G5 case would be cool, but since it's aimed at professionals who probably don't need to have their attention grabbed, the G5 itself will be enough of a sell.

ThlayliTheFierce
Nov 30, 2001, 02:36 AM
But not as good as Senior Member.

ThlayliTheFierce
Nov 30, 2001, 02:36 AM
Speaking of that, jef, when do you expect to reach demi-god member status?

Falleron
Nov 30, 2001, 02:38 AM
True, true... I will get there 1 day! I have read this forum for a long time but only recently started posting.

jefhatfield
Nov 30, 2001, 11:49 AM
was started by blakespot, who in his bio, simply put God

...so after that i think some posters were wondering what happened after that magic number of one hundred and senior status was reached (which is still a very hard number of posts to reach)

i only got there when i basically lost my fear of getting pummeled by spikey, mymemory, or john123 ; and lost the fear of saying something wrong...which is OK because as a tech, every time i learn something, i translate that into income

would 200 posts make one a mac god on macrumors? at that time, i think spikey, kela, and john 123 were the post leaders

then came 300 for spikey and me

then came 400 for the two of us

now it's a two way race for 500 but i think blakespot and arn won't really notice until we get enough traffic to fry their servers like what happened to jerry yang and david filo when they were "kicked" off the stanford campus because their pet idea, which became yahoo was taxing the university's resources (so says the press which likes to embellish things)

from what i gather, neither jerry nor david finished their studies then, they were in the process of become multi-millionaires (or more) and by the time yahoo was established, they could have easily wrote a check and bought the computer science department of Stanford or...at least given them more servers as a donation (which i wouldn't be suprised if they gave back to the "farm")

jefhatfield
Nov 30, 2001, 12:04 PM
i bet if steve jobs mentioned the name blakespot at the next mwsf, most of the audience would know what he was talking about

...i certainly know that the phrase appleinsider.com would be known by everybody there...i think from what i remember, they leaked the "cube" to the outside world

unless anyone here knows of anybody who knew about the cube before them

...when i first heard the cube rumor, i thought it was the most outrageous rumor i have ever heard on the internet

spikey
Nov 30, 2001, 12:25 PM
Does anyone know if SJ looks at these boards?

I doubt any1 will get to demi-god status unless they do more for this than post things.

jefhatfield
Nov 30, 2001, 12:41 PM
here's what would be good

...if one of us got hired by apple and made us the most up to date rumor board on the net

...but i am sure us, appleinsider, macosrumors, ibookzone, and the register all have at least one apple employee or employee spouse/family member/friend as registered members/guests

i am sure steve jobs looks as these boards right before his big speeches at macworld and seybold

...i know i would so i could make last minute changes of my presentation and maximize impact by knowing what the audience knew already

when steve jobs offered the original ibook, the 2x2 matrix made it extremely obvious he would offer an imac portable with cute colors...i mean, what else would he offer? duh.

the cube and the ipod blindsided me and i was very impressed...oh, i just saw an ipod for the first time in person and that thing is much more impressive in person than the photographs make it look

go out and check one out...it is amazing!

SPG
Nov 30, 2001, 01:46 PM
The who-posted-more thing is kind of fun as a diversion, but let's not get too carried away.
I really don't think that Steve Jobs hsa the time to check the boards himself unless he cruises through at home for a chuckle in his spare time. Believe it or not the mac community as a whole doesn't log onto the boards too often. My cousin had to replace her G3 tower that UPS smashed and went out and bought the top of the line G4 the day before MW and the Quicksilver release. She didn't even plug it in by the time the new ones were on the showroom floor and she had no idea that there would be new machines coming.

SPG
Nov 30, 2001, 01:48 PM
By the way...here it is... Post #200 Whoo! Whoo!
And the content of thte post? NONE!

akuma
Nov 30, 2001, 02:36 PM
Damn, I remember at one point I had more posts than you....;)

anyway, congratulations

SPG
Nov 30, 2001, 03:31 PM
I think I just have more time than you right now, don't worry once production ramps up again I will have almost no presence here.

akuma
Nov 30, 2001, 05:41 PM
haha, work does indeed get in the way of other things way too much, doesn't it? :)

[Edited by akuma on 12-01-2001 at 11:46 AM]

crassusad44
Nov 30, 2001, 08:32 PM
For all of you guys talking about who post the most, and who does not.
Well. This is my first post!!!!!!!!!! (and it does not even make sense...)

akuma
Dec 1, 2001, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by crassusad44

Welcome aboard, crassusad44.

mnkeybsness
Dec 1, 2001, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by crassusad44

no one gives a flying f---

mnkeybsness
Dec 1, 2001, 07:15 PM
i hate to pull a jeff and post twice in a row, but why do you even care how many posts you have? usually post number tells everyone else how helpful you are.....but in this forum, it's more the more posts, the bigger jerk-off you are.

and i do realize that thisis my 182 post

Obsidian
Dec 1, 2001, 07:43 PM
Ill have to try that:

"Windows is crap, buy a mac!","Windows is crap, buy a mac!","Windows is crap, buy a mac!","Windows is crap, buy a mac!","Windows is crap, buy a mac!","Windows is crap, buy a mac!","Windows is crap, buy a mac!"

lol.

The manage approaches you and says: ill give you a g5 when they come out if you promise not to ever come back!

(you had been caught doing it 17 other times!)

heh, wouldnt that be nice? :)

jefhatfield
Dec 2, 2001, 12:06 AM
i will pull a "jeff" and post so i can pass up spikey with this post

monkeybusiness, congrats on 200 in advance, you will be only one of half a dozen or so (that i can think of) out of nearly three thousand posters since the beginning

and btw, it's jef

AmbitiousLemon
Dec 2, 2001, 12:51 AM
:) wow, never seen a thread this side-tracked. Personally i love the way you guys all congratulate eachother on your post#s. When i saw a that the thread on the G5Sphere had grown to 3 pages i was pretty shocked (that picture has been floating around for a long time).

But wondering about the whole G5 thing, im beginning to get this sinking feeling about a G5 in january. I dont work in any stores but i havent noticed the typical shortage of powermac (which seems to be happening with the imac now). And also its less than a month away and our office still doesnt have one, which seems really odd. Im hoping for an annoucement in january and shipment in march, and i think thats being kinda glassishalffullish.

Obsidian
Dec 2, 2001, 02:05 AM
I posted a big paragraph here on this thread (as far as i can remember) about the future of computers like the cube, and i cant find it anywhere!
arg, it took me a long time to type that!

Lost: big post

Reward: none

Please help find

mnkeybsness
Dec 2, 2001, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by jefhatfield
i will pull a "jeff" and post so i can pass up spikey with this post

monkeybusiness, congrats on 200 in advance, you will be only one of half a dozen or so (that i can think of) out of nearly three thousand posters since the beginning

and btw, it's jef

don't congratulate me, i don't give a rats arse how many posts i have.

crassusad44
Dec 2, 2001, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Obsidian
Ill have to try that:

"Windows is crap, buy a mac!","Windows is crap, buy a mac!","Windows is crap, buy a mac!","Windows is crap, buy a mac!","Windows is crap, buy a mac!","Windows is crap, buy a mac!","Windows is crap, buy a mac!"

lol.

The manage approaches you and says: ill give you a g5 when they come out if you promise not to ever come back!

(you had been caught doing it 17 other times!)

heh, wouldnt that be nice? :)

It's really funny. Trust me. To tip it off, hide SimpleText, and watch the sales clerk go mad...

Well, since I don't want to be remembered as the newbie-poster with nothing to say, and since this is a G5 (well, sort of) thread...
I would guess that Steve Jobs is pushing Motorolla really hard right now to have the G5 ready for a MWSF debut. First off all, if the G5 is anyting near what the rumor want it to be, Jobs could put that mhz myth to a rest (although 1.6 GHz is a lower number than 2 GHz). Also, with a supercharged G5, Apple could attract new customers, like 3D pros, who need a powerful and robust system. We already have Maya, Lightwave and Cinema XL (and some say we'll soon have 3D Studio Max), and an advanced and modern high-end OS. What we need now is a high-end system (like the G5). Of course I can only speculate whether or not we will see a G5 in January, but Apple really needs to get far beyond 867 MHz, and fast. A G5 would make graphic/music/3D pros fry their credit cards on the spot, and I would probably have to go to that PC-store 17 times in a row... :)

As for that G5 sphere thing. It would be really cool to watch an Apple comercial with a G5 rolling from one side of my TV-screen to the other. Now THAT would be a supercomputer to go... :D

Falleron
Dec 2, 2001, 05:24 PM
I thought that that message ("PC's are c##p") was already done on all pc's by default!! After all, you get that silly windows startup screen in which the OS has not changed in the last 5 years (well, not much anyway!)

Foocha
Dec 2, 2001, 05:47 PM
Hello? What about the happy Mac icon on the Mac boot screen?

Falleron
Dec 2, 2001, 05:52 PM
Well..... Its a mac so its Ok!! (Poor argument but true) Microsoft has to find something to copy!! Dont they?

Foocha
Dec 2, 2001, 06:05 PM
Microsoft have copied Apple on many occasions - and they lack Apple's cool, stylish qualities. It has to be said though, that Apple has copied Microsoft a few times as well. Here are some examples:

- arrow on shortcut icon v. arrow on alias icon
taskbar v. dock
- previewing graphics in My Computer v. previewing graphics in the Finder
- showing mounted volumes in My Computer v. showing mounted volumes in the finder window, not the desktop
- browser metaphor for My Computer v. browser metaphor in Finder
- Building a NT as a next gen operating system v. Building OS X as a next gen operating system

There are plenty more, but I guess I won't make myself popular by pointing them out ;)

crassusad44
Dec 3, 2001, 03:02 AM
Apple may have copied M$ a couple of times, but Apple do not only copy, they make the ideas better and cooler. The dock is much more handy than the taskbar (once you get used to the dock), and so on.
When M$ is copying others, they try to make things similar to the original thing. When Apple is copying others, they take the good ideas and make them better. That's a big difference.

Foocha
Dec 3, 2001, 03:13 AM
No doubt about it - Microsoft are the worst for copying. The cheapest stunts they've pulled (recently) are:

- Adding an X to their product name
- Including an OS 9 style Rubber Duck in their XP login screen icons
- Calling their new GUI Lunar (hmm, sounds somehow familiar)
- Rounded corners on the tops of the Lunar windows

Looks like someone at Redmond is indulging Cupertino in the sincerest form of flattery!

Falleron
Dec 3, 2001, 04:50 AM
Actually, I believe that the Windows Explorer/task bar was copied from the neXT system which is where microsoft copied it from! Apple bought the rights to use it!!

Foocha
Dec 3, 2001, 05:23 AM
Task bar - the strip at the bottom, has been with Windows right from the start - before Next I think. Tool bar in the finder is an interesting point. I wonder how long it will take for Windows to copy Column view?

Falleron
Dec 3, 2001, 08:10 AM
Well, the idea of the windows explorer (having columns) was definatly created first by neXT. I am not so sure about the task bar though! Anyway, its about time Apple "borrowed" some good ideas from windows (it does not have many really though). Microsoft has always done it to Apple!!!

akuma
Dec 3, 2001, 09:59 AM
Task bar - the strip at the bottom, has been with Windows right from the start - before Next I think. Tool bar in the finder is an interesting point. I wonder how long it will take for Windows to copy Column view?

The task bar was copied by Microsoft from NeXT. So NeXT had it first...

From an ArsTechnica article:

"Like the Windows Taskbar before it (and the NeXT Dock before it), the Mac OS X Dock will undoubtedly evolve. And like the Taskbar, I suspect that the Dock's UI flaws will be largely ignored by the average personal computer user."

http://www.arstechnica.com/reviews/01q2/macos-x-final/macos-x-8.html

Also many people (falsely) claim that the macOS was "stolen" from xerox. Wrong!

"As I said in my history of the Mac Project (the one currently being serialized in CHAC), the Mac was by no means the work of one person, but the combined efforts of thousands in hundreds of companies large and small. It was not, as many accounts anachronistically relate, stolen from PARC by Steve Jobs after he saw the Alto running SmallTalk on a visit. For one thing the usual account (as in Levy's book, "Insanely Great" and others) denigrates the original and creative work done by all the Apple employees that put their hearts into the Mac. Most of the histories of the Mac were written without their authors interviewing the original team (Brian Howard, who contributed so much, is always missed), and the history of the Mac that Apple's own P/R department dispensed was based on Jobs's version. Many didn't speak with me: without knowing that I had worked out many of the key usability ideas when Jobs was still in grade school and before there was a Xerox PARC to learn from, it is perhaps understandable that people would find it necessary to invent a history that derives the Mac's genesis from the nearest similar work. The honest intellectual debt the Mac owes to the work at PARC was not a case of highway robbery"

This was taken from a very good article that can be found here:
http://mxmora.best.vwh.net/JefRaskin.html

Foocha
Dec 3, 2001, 05:53 PM
Fair point about the Dock v the Task bar - I've just checked and Microsoft introduced the task bar in '95, while the dock was introduced on the Next platform in 1988, and looked way ahead of it's time:
http://members.fortunecity.com/pcmuseum/next.htm

Thanks for pointing that one out - I'll take it off my list of things to feel bad about.

evildead
Dec 4, 2001, 12:35 PM
Has any one checked out WindowsXP? itf funny how mac like it is. I mean the icons, wiondow movement, stuff like that. It like A mac with no styal and a lack of understanding what colors should and should not go to gether.

Dont worrie Im still a loyal MacHead. I got a "dont have to register copy" of it to play with a little and to give out to my PC users friends. Then I remind them that I got it and burned it with my Mac.

Foocha
Dec 4, 2001, 12:41 PM
XP is uncannily Mac-like (OS X to be specific). They've just done it with a lot less class!

AmbitiousLemon
Dec 4, 2001, 12:50 PM
o you guys are so mean. just think back to when you were 2. the pretty colors and smooth edges of all your tonka trucks and the oversized building blocks. we are all assuming people dont have the mentality of a 2 year old. i guess windows just has a different view of its users.

evildead
Dec 4, 2001, 12:56 PM
XP is uncannily Mac-like (OS X to be specific). They've just done it with a lot less class!

MS needs to get that bald guy from "interior Motives" to come in and give them a lesson on color. I mean its like a kid got into some playdoe and used it to make An OS. Just liek you said "just done it with a lot less class!

Falleron
Dec 6, 2001, 10:30 AM
XP is a fisher price set!!