PDA

View Full Version : EmotiFun! Released: Apple Relaxing Policies on Emoji Enablers?

MacRumors
Feb 11, 2009, 11:23 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/02/11/emotifun-released-apple-relaxing-policies-on-emoji-enablers/)

EmotiFun! [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=304478074&mt=8)], a free application whose sole purpose is to enable the use of Emoji for non-Japanese iPhone users, has appeared in the App Store. Emoji, emoticons and pictorial characters popular in the Japanese instant messaging culture, were introduced to Japanese customers as part of the iPhone 2.2 Firmware update (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/11/21/apple-releases-iphone-2-2-firmware/), but have required workarounds to be enabled for non-Japanese users.

Several applications released to the App Store, including Touch Dial Emoji [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=286534260&mt=8)] and Typing Genius [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=294195341&mt=8)], have included the ability to enable Emoji, but the functionality was included as part of larger applications with additional uses. Developers who attempted to release applications whose primary advertised function was to enable Emoji, such as Ars Technica's Freemoji, saw their applications rejected (http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/02/freemoji-access-emoji-for-free.ars) by Apple for their ability to modify settings outside of the applications' containers, a violation of the iPhone SDK.

Ars Technica recently interviewed (http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/02/typing-genius-defies-apple-introduces-emoji-support.ars) Gary Fung, the developer of Typing Genius, who provided his perspective on the Emoji situation and how he has risked raising the ire of Apple by advertising his application's ability to enable Emoji, even going so far as to change the application's title to Typing Genius - Get Emoji.

Apple's acceptance of EmotiFun!, which apparently has made no effort to disguise its sole ability to enable Emoji, implies a loosening of restrictions on what changes an application is permitted to make to system settings, but whether this relaxation of policies will extend to iPhone features beyond Emoji remains to be seen.

Article Link: EmotiFun! Released: Apple Relaxing Policies on Emoji Enablers? (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/02/11/emotifun-released-apple-relaxing-policies-on-emoji-enablers/)

tiggery2k3
Feb 11, 2009, 11:54 AM
May I be the first to say this really works until the next firmware comes out...

JohnH59
Feb 11, 2009, 12:03 PM
Works great, as long as you are sending to another iPhone. Unfortunately, most of my friends and family don't have iPhones.

bigmc6000
Feb 11, 2009, 12:26 PM
Works great, as long as you are sending to another iPhone. Unfortunately, most of my friends and family don't have iPhones.

It should work with e-mail as well (should)...

Scratch that - only works iPhone to iPhone e-mail or text. Eh well...

elmimmo
Feb 11, 2009, 12:30 PM
Rather useless, unless it is for private use on text that does not leave your iPod/iPhone.

There is a reason for limiting the use of emoji on mails generated from a softbank address. You are not actually embedding the icons, just entering unused character codes that softbank has reserved for use of their emoji. While the list of icons is 99% similar to that used by Docomo and AU, the tables of which character is used for what emoji are different per operator.

Applications/devices that are usually capable of displaying them, i.e swapping characters into icons (cell phones, gmail or yahoo mail on a desktop, etc) must know which table they have to use (or if they have to do the conversion at all). Sending it from a softbank e-mail address is quite a definitive hint (but you can already do so without this app).

So, sending texts with this characters-to-be-swapped-into-icons from a non-softbank address is quite useless, since the device does not know it contains emoji and hence must do the swapping (unless, that is, they read them on an iPhone/iPod, which will assume that those character codes are softbank emoji no matter where they come from; in fact the iPhone is quite lame at that it does not even use conversion tables of AU or KDDI, i.e. it only displays emoji that come from another softbank address [boooo!])

Edit: AU phones are actually not able to use conversion tables from other operators, but the operator itself is actually converting the contents of the e-mail before serving it to the phone. So if AU can do that, I guess it is Softbank who is to blame for iPhones not displaying other operators' emoji)

stevearm
Feb 11, 2009, 12:32 PM
Rather useless, unless it is for private use on text that does not leave your iPod/iPhone.

There is a reason for limiting the use of emoji on mails generated from a softbank address. You are not actually embedding the icons, just entering unused character codes that softbank has reserved for use of their emoji. While the list of icons is 99% similar to that used by Docomo and AU, the tables of which character is used for what emoji are different per operator.

Applications/devices that are usually capable of displaying them, i.e converting from one table to another (cell phones, gmail or yahoo mail on a desktop, etc) must know which table they have to use (or if they have to do the conversion at all). Sending it from a softbank e-mail address is quite a definitive hint (but you can already do so without this app).

So, sending texts with this characters-to-be-swapped-into-icons from a non-softbank address is quite useless, since no one is going to be able to read them (unless, that is, if it is an iPhone/iPod, which will assume that those unused character codes are softbank emoji no matter where they come from; in fact the iPhone is quite lame at that it does not even do the conversion for mails from AU or KDDI, i.e. it only displays emoji that come from another softbank address [boooo!])

We already knew that.

elmimmo
Feb 11, 2009, 12:40 PM
We already knew that.

Tell that to all those people complaining they could not SEND emoji from a non-softbank account. They actually cannot with this app either.

born4sky
Feb 11, 2009, 12:40 PM
Work Like a charm and it's free :)

anti-microsoft
Feb 11, 2009, 12:42 PM
The App Store isn't being run well... (although Apple should have enabled emoji from the start!)

Ams.

chr1s60
Feb 11, 2009, 12:53 PM
The App Store isn't being run well... (although Apple should have enabled emoji from the start!)

Ams.

I think the way Apple runs the App Store is continuing to get better. It seems like more and more things are starting to get approved and I believe we will eventually get to a point where there is very little that Apple will not approve. Of course Apple is not going to allow apps that mess with certain parts of the phone, but I think within the next 6 months or so we will even see Apple starting to allow things like web browsers nat based on Safari and new mail applications. These are the things iPhone users are wanting and though Apple has been holding back, eventually it will make sense for them to allow these types of applications.

As far as emoji goes, I don't think it is a big deal and that is why Apple isn't trying to keep it from being unlocked.

bigmc6000
Feb 11, 2009, 01:01 PM
Tell that to all those people complaining they could not SEND emoji from a non-softbank account. They actually cannot with this app either.

Umm, it works sending iPhone to iPhone regardless of service provider. I'm assuming you already knew that right?

elmimmo
Feb 11, 2009, 01:08 PM
Umm, it works sending iPhone to iPhone regardless of service provider. I'm assuming you already knew that right?

Well, like I wrote (and like read in your previous message), yes I knew. The use of such (in JP, which is where those icons are mainly aimed for) is questionable. In essence, it is limited to the iPhone's ecosystem.

Oman
Feb 11, 2009, 01:21 PM
I believe it is awesome that Apple allowed this App in the appstore. Think about it this way, this move by apple is a pro-iPhone owner move in that, we as iPhone users were buying APPS to do this for us even though it was not the purpose for which that particular app was created or submitted to the App store. So by allowing it to be done this way, Apple has helped the user community to save money and not have to buy apps we will never use to get a feature it was not submitted to the app store to do. The developers of those other apps may not like this app but I would be $1 richer if this app was available a couple of weeks ago. :apple:

cwedl
Feb 11, 2009, 01:39 PM
Apple should enable Emoji for all countries in the next firmware upgrade, if you think about it surely it's the same as sending :-) and the iPhone does the encoding at the other end?

slicecom
Feb 11, 2009, 01:39 PM
May I be the first to say this really works until the next firmware comes out...

It still worked for those who enabled it in 2.2 and then upgraded to 2.2.1, what makes you think the next update would be any different?

leandromp
Feb 11, 2009, 03:20 PM
the only thing i dont like about this app, is that my friends and family doesnt have an iphone, so, theyre not gonna be able to see the icons. Pointless for me, tho.

tiggery2k3
Feb 11, 2009, 04:06 PM
It still worked for those who enabled it in 2.2 and then upgraded to 2.2.1, what makes you think the next update would be any different?

Because I can remember people complaining that emoji applications got disabled when they upgraded to 2.2.1, also this one is only in version 1.0 so who knows what apple could do

slicecom
Feb 11, 2009, 04:14 PM
Because I can remember people complaining that emoji applications got disabled when they upgraded to 2.2.1, also this one is only in version 1.0 so who knows what apple could do

No, if you had emoji working on your phone in 2.2, it worked perfectly in 2.2.1, period.

The problem people were encountering was one of the apps that was commonly used to enable emoji (Frostyplace), didn't work in 2.2.1. Other emoji enabling apps like Touch Dial Emoji, never stopped working, and still work to this day.

I don't think Apple is too concerned with people enabling emoji, and they clearly didn't disable this exploit in 2.2.1 and continue to allow more and more apps that enable it onto the app store.

mrkgoo
Feb 11, 2009, 04:51 PM
Have there been any issues after people enable emoji using these kinds of apps?

j_maddison
Feb 11, 2009, 07:40 PM
I downloaded the EmotiFun app from the UK store and It didn't work. There is a review on there saying that it's a hoax and doesn't work

Could it be this app isn't available outside of the US, and has been disabled or something when it's downloaded from the UK store??

Jason

ElBerserko
Feb 11, 2009, 07:56 PM
Have there been any issues after people enable emoji using these kinds of apps?

Could have been a coincidence, but I loaded this app over the air and ran it. When I went back to sync to my computer later in the day iTunes reported my phone had 5GB of 'Other' (no music/videos/ect.) and tried to remove every app on my phone. Fantastic.

Restoring now.

mrkgoo
Feb 11, 2009, 08:05 PM
Could have been a coincidence, but I loaded this app over the air and ran it. When I went back to sync to my computer later in the day iTunes reported my phone had 5GB of 'Other' (no music/videos/ect.) and tried to remove every app on my phone. Fantastic.

Restoring now.
Probably a coincidence, but still.
Well, it's not worth the risk for me.

I'd rather buy something that has worked for a while, such as typing genius. Or just forego the emoji for now. It's not like I have any friends.

bobsentell
Feb 11, 2009, 09:52 PM
Apple's acceptance of EmotiFun!, which apparently has made no effort to disguise its sole ability to enable Emoji, implies a loosening of restrictions on what changes an application is permitted to make to system settings, but whether this relaxation of policies will extend to iPhone features beyond Emoji remains to be seen.

This could also be a way of Apple indicating it is about to release it itself. However, I've often wondered how Apple could add features to the phone without canniblizing an existing app. If apple does unlock Emoji in 3.0, it would render all the emoji apps useless.

mrkgoo
Feb 11, 2009, 10:15 PM
This could also be a way of Apple indicating it is about to release it itself. However, I've often wondered how Apple could add features to the phone without canniblizing an existing app. If apple does unlock Emoji in 3.0, it would render all the emoji apps useless.

Few of the apps released SOLE purpose is to unlock emoji. In fact, a lot of people are buying the apps because of emoji and not the primary function. It doesn't make for a good marketplace.

michael31986
Feb 11, 2009, 11:00 PM
can we delete the app after emoji is enbabled.

Andrew.s
Feb 11, 2009, 11:16 PM

Yes.

mrkgoo
Feb 11, 2009, 11:22 PM

I'm pretty sure you can. Just try it.

mrkgoo
Feb 11, 2009, 11:28 PM
I downloaded the EmotiFun app from the UK store and It didn't work. There is a review on there saying that it's a hoax and doesn't work

Could it be this app isn't available outside of the US, and has been disabled or something when it's downloaded from the UK store??

Jason

Well, looks like it has disappeared off the NZ store now.

...And the UK store. Maybe it was an exploit only available on the US iPhone? It's still there.

actionvaughn
Feb 11, 2009, 11:44 PM
I'm not sure if it's an issue with my phone specifically, but I sent four text messages to three different people today (all non-iPhone users) using the icons just for kicks, and not one of them received those messages. I know they aren't supposed to show up for anyone other than iPhone users anyway, but I think I'm shelving this regardless.

xxfftlxx
Feb 12, 2009, 12:09 AM
iTunes says its no longer available... errrrrr!

tys
Feb 12, 2009, 12:41 AM
iTunes says its no longer available... errrrrr!

Mine now says "not available in US store"
Why are Apple such pricks? What possible harm is there?

Is AT&T is planning to offer emoji on a pay-per-use basis or something?

Bonus feature for Jailbreakers: you can use "Make it Mike" and use any of the Emoji to replace the carrier icon or time in the status bar!

tys

mrkgoo
Feb 12, 2009, 01:01 AM
I'm not sure if it's an issue with my phone specifically, but I sent four text messages to three different people today (all non-iPhone users) using the icons just for kicks, and not one of them received those messages. I know they aren't supposed to show up for anyone other than iPhone users anyway, but I think I'm shelving this regardless.

Shelving it? What do you mean? You've already done what it's supposed to do. You can't reverse it. Well, I guess you can turn emoji off - but if it did something else besides just activate that - that may be irreversible.
Mine now says "not available in US store"
Why are Apple such pricks? What possible harm is there?
Well, in this thread we have at least three no gos, with a potential cause of restore, and three yes'. There seems at least some potential for harm. Who knows.

sgibson
Feb 12, 2009, 01:23 AM
Worked on both my original and 3G, UK store, no problems.

The "no work" people know that after you run the app you need to go into settings->general->keyboard->internation keyboards->Japanese and switch the keyboard on, right? The app doesn't just make the emojii keyboard appear, it just enables it as an option in settings menu.

EDIT: Looks like it's been pulled. Guess I won't delete it after all, just in case.

anti-microsoft
Feb 12, 2009, 01:24 AM
I think the way Apple runs the App Store is continuing to get better. It seems like more and more things are starting to get approved and I believe we will eventually get to a point where there is very little that Apple will not approve. Of course Apple is not going to allow apps that mess with certain parts of the phone, but I think within the next 6 months or so we will even see Apple starting to allow things like web browsers nat based on Safari and new mail applications. These are the things iPhone users are wanting and though Apple has been holding back, eventually it will make sense for them to allow these types of applications.

As far as emoji goes, I don't think it is a big deal and that is why Apple isn't trying to keep it from being unlocked.

I agree with that, what I don't agree with is the crappy stupid useless apps that Apple allows to clutter the app store.

mrkgoo
Feb 12, 2009, 01:29 AM

actionvaughn
Feb 12, 2009, 01:41 AM
Shelving it? What do you mean? You've already done what it's supposed to do. You can't reverse it. Well, I guess you can turn emoji off - but if it did something else besides just activate that - that may be irreversible.

I should've phrased this better, I'm turning it off. It was annoying enough hitting the emoti icon when I meant to get numbers/punctuation; I don't want to worry about my friends not getting my texts.

SuperMacMan
Feb 12, 2009, 02:12 AM

Jason

You have to actually head into Settings>General>Keyboard>Japanese>Emoji ON for it to work. Exit Settings and do a reboot (Hold power, slide to power off). Turn it back on, and go to SMS/Notes/Mail/etc and tap the World icon that is now at the bottom left, (it kinda squishes the 123 button). There's your Emoji.

I did this for TouchDial Emoji (which I paid for a few weeks back), and have had no problems whatsoever on my 1st Gen and 2nd Gen iPod Touch.

SuperMacMan

SuperMacMan
Feb 12, 2009, 02:14 AM
Oh, and I can't get it from the Australian store either....

Damn MacRumors and drawing attention to these things, now they're also gunna pull all the others, and break it deliberately in 2.3 or whatever comes next.... :mad::rolleyes:

mrkgoo
Feb 12, 2009, 02:44 AM
seemed to work fine on my ipod touch. my iPhone is too precious to risk at the moment though.

jsdoyle
Feb 12, 2009, 07:27 AM
I downloaded the app last night. This morning I was telling a co-worker about it.

Her search didn't find it. I went to the appstore and since that app was the last app I downloaded last night it tried to load that apps page. I received an error message saying the app was no longer available.

What gives?? Did Apple miss that one and pull it?

bigmc6000
Feb 12, 2009, 07:34 AM
I downloaded the app last night. This morning I was telling a co-worker about it.

Her search didn't find it. I went to the appstore and since that app was the last app I downloaded last night it tried to load that apps page. I received an error message saying the app was no longer available.

What gives?? Did Apple miss that one and pull it?

Awesome - it's like NetShare all over again... nice...

EDIT: I didn't have a single problem with it - worked great sending the emoji back and forth to other iPhone users.

slicecom
Feb 12, 2009, 07:42 AM
Oh, and I can't get it from the Australian store either....

Damn MacRumors and drawing attention to these things, now they're also gunna pull all the others, and break it deliberately in 2.3 or whatever comes next.... :mad::rolleyes:

You would never have heard of it if it wasn't for Macrumors drawing attention to it. :p

iAlan
Feb 12, 2009, 08:01 AM
I am in Japan so I have Emoji enabled.

What is confusing me is why did Apple approve the various apps to enable Emoji and then pull them? I am sure they knew what the apps did when approved?

Or am I missing something here...?

mrkgoo
Feb 12, 2009, 09:32 AM
I am in Japan so I have Emoji enabled.

What is confusing me is why did Apple approve the various apps to enable Emoji and then pull them? I am sure they knew what the apps did when approved?

Or am I missing something here...?

Maybe they are semi-lax - there are other apps that do this, but just not their main focus. All emotifun did was to enable emoji (well, it had some lame smiley colour match game). As Gary Fung put in his interview, many of the reviewers probably don't check the code very thoroughly for 'grey-area' dealings - they probably just have a checklist to make sure and that's that. This may have been kinda grey, or just slipped through for whatever reason. Maybe it it actually had some malicious code! Who knows.

j_maddison
Feb 12, 2009, 09:39 AM
You have to actually head into Settings>General>Keyboard>Japanese>Emoji ON for it to work. Exit Settings and do a reboot (Hold power, slide to power off). Turn it back on, and go to SMS/Notes/Mail/etc and tap the World icon that is now at the bottom left, (it kinda squishes the 123 button). There's your Emoji.

I did this for TouchDial Emoji (which I paid for a few weeks back), and have had no problems whatsoever on my 1st Gen and 2nd Gen iPod Touch.

SuperMacMan

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it

No I hadn't done that, I looked for the app to show up in settings and obviously couldn't find it. I deleted the app before reading your post, I kept it on my phone for roughly ten minutes only.

Shame it's gone now though

Jason

mrkgoo
Feb 12, 2009, 10:03 AM

No I hadn't done that, I looked for the app to show up in settings and obviously couldn't find it. I deleted the app before reading your post, I kept it on my phone for roughly ten minutes only.

Jason

Well, I guess chalk one up for not following instructions. Have you deleted it from your computer, or was it never there?

The app simply writes one line (I presume) to a preference file. This adds the the emoji keyboard option on the Japanese keyboard menu, but doesn't activate it.

j_maddison
Feb 12, 2009, 10:20 AM
Well, I guess chalk one up for not following instructions. Have you deleted it from your computer, or was it never there?

The app simply writes one line (I presume) to a preference file. This adds the the emoji keyboard option on the Japanese keyboard menu, but doesn't activate it.

Lesson learned :)

And again, thanks for the info. It's always good to learn something new

Jason

mrkgoo
Feb 12, 2009, 10:22 AM
Lesson learned :)

And again, thanks for the info. It's always good to learn something new

Jason

I think the paid apps (99c) are still out there that achieve the same thing. If you are desperate ...

j_maddison
Feb 12, 2009, 10:26 AM
I think the paid apps (99c) are still out there that achieve the same thing. If you are desperate ...

I'm not really desperate, but I do have a hot female friend who's moved to California and they'd certainly help with text flirting until she comes back ;)

Jay

mrkgoo
Feb 12, 2009, 12:07 PM
I'm not really desperate, but I do have a hot female friend who's moved to California and they'd certainly help with text flirting until she comes back ;)

Jay

99c is a bargain for Typing Genius then! You know, for impressing the ladies with your iPhone typing mad skillz.

mrkgoo
Feb 12, 2009, 02:01 PM

Jason

You know, did you actually run the app though? Because if so, it has done its deed.

mavis
Feb 12, 2009, 02:33 PM
Works fine here. I never use my SoftBank email account; all of my email is sent/received through my MobileMe account. I'm able to send emoji to other SoftBank subscribers, as well as receive.

SFStateStudent
Feb 12, 2009, 07:20 PM
Need another UPDATE to "EmotiNOTFun!" b/c it's not up and running. Did Apple "unrelax" it's policies on Emoji Enablers? :confused: :mad:

timlopez
Feb 12, 2009, 07:35 PM
Did anyone have the app actually disappear from their phone?

I didn't uninstall/delete it, but it's no longer on my phone.

I can still use Emoji, but once an iPhone update is released - I'm sure its gone for good.

mrkgoo
Feb 13, 2009, 01:07 AM
Did anyone have the app actually disappear from their phone?

I didn't uninstall/delete it, but it's no longer on my phone.

I can still use Emoji, but once an iPhone update is released - I'm sure its gone for good.

I wonder if apple used their kill switch.

macbookhamburg
Feb 13, 2009, 03:38 AM
itīs still on my phone

zoogme
Feb 13, 2009, 04:39 AM
still on both of mine. works great between my wife (Original) and i (3G) it's fun for free, i guess :confused: But, last night i tried to install on a friends iPhone and no go, i even had to copy the app out of my MPB and dropped it into my wife's Vista PC and synced itunes then it was on her phone.

daveschroeder
Feb 13, 2009, 08:00 AM
I wonder if apple used their kill switch.

Um, no, Apple is not going to use the "kill switch" for an Emoji app. :rolleyes:

The only time Apple will use this is if there is an actual malicious/dangerous application that sneaks through the approval process.

mrkgoo
Feb 13, 2009, 10:51 AM
Um, no, Apple is not going to use the "kill switch" for an Emoji app. :rolleyes:

The only time Apple will use this is if there is an actual malicious/dangerous application that sneaks through the approval process.

Well, I've been wondering if it IS malicious. There are reports of side effects, and so on, but everyone is so random and unable to communicate that it's hard to tell. I know most likely it's fine - I was just facetiously speculating.

abgould
Feb 13, 2009, 12:59 PM
There are still Emoji apps available in the app store, such as Touch Dial Emoji, so Apple might of pulled EmotiFun for entirely different reasons.

mrkgoo
Feb 13, 2009, 04:47 PM
I have noticed that if you send a text containing emoji, but the recipient doesn't have them, the text is not delivered AT ALL.

mrkgoo
Feb 13, 2009, 05:24 PM
For SMS, does the other recipient have to be enabled too? I send emoji and another iPhone 2.2 cannot receive IF I include an emoji (fine without).

I'm on T-mobile- if I send them to myself, I get them fine.

mrzippy
Feb 14, 2009, 04:32 AM
What we really need is an Emoji font for Mac and Windows desktops...

Then Emoji would not be limited to the iPhone, bet there is one somewhere on a Japanese site. I know I found a Mac QR code reader that way, eventually.

I know there is at least one Mac app that shows Emoji for Facebook, but that is an app not the OS.

Bring on an Emoji font for the desktop, thinking on it, can we not rip this out of the iPhone firmware?

dotcommie
Feb 14, 2009, 03:06 PM
How come nobody has even mentioned Spell Number?

It's still on the App Store and still free. Enable emoji with 9876543.21 and you're golden.

It seems to show on a few of my friend's non-iphone phones too.

bndoarn
Feb 14, 2009, 03:41 PM

no. once you have it, you have it for good, even if you restore (as long as you back up). before it was free in the app store i jailbroke and got it for free and since then i've restored 3 times and updated to 2.2.1 and i still have it. whenever you restore you just have to make sure you back up the device before the restore then put the back up on the device when you're done restoring.

vrflyer
Feb 15, 2009, 11:30 AM
How come nobody has even mentioned Spell Number?

It's still on the App Store and still free. Enable emoji with 9876543.21 and you're golden.

Yep, this works as well!

Be sure to follow the instructions : www.waterworld.com.hk/spell_number_easter_egg

monkeytennis
Feb 16, 2009, 10:24 AM
Out of interest, does anyone know why Apple has decided to remove this harmless and fun feature from our iPhones?!

slicecom
Feb 16, 2009, 10:29 AM
Out of interest, does anyone know why Apple has decided to remove this harmless and fun feature from our iPhones?!

Because North American cell phone companies don't support it. It's only a standard in Japan. For example, if my friend in the USA with an AT&T iPhone sends a txt message with an emoji icon in it, to my iPhone on Rogers in Canada, all I get is a bunch of jibberish, and vice versa. It only works from one iPhone to another iPhone on the same network, and that's too much to figure out for the average customer. They would have to know what network all their friends are on and what type of phone they have. Apple removed it for simplicity sake and to prevent complaints.

monkeytennis
Feb 16, 2009, 10:36 AM
Because North American cell phone companies don't support it. It's only a standard in Japan. For example, if my friend in the USA with an AT&T iPhone sends a txt message with an emoji icon in it, to my iPhone on Rogers in Canada, all I get is a bunch of jibberish, and vice versa. It only works from one iPhone to another iPhone on the same network, and that's too much to figure out for the average customer. They would have to know what network all their friends are on and what type of phone they have. Apple removed it for simplicity sake and to prevent complaints.

...to which the obvious answer is "make it optional, off by default, and with a warning to that effect on the settings page". It's not flippin rocket science and you can't break anything - if the worst that can happen is some idiot ignoring the warnings and texting his mates jibberish characters on occasion, then the world's not going to end.

yOyOYoo
Feb 16, 2009, 11:33 AM
Can I send an emoji to another iphone user who has not activated emoji and have them see those icons??

slicecom
Feb 16, 2009, 11:38 AM
...to which the obvious answer is "make it optional, off by default, and with a warning to that effect on the settings page". It's not flippin rocket science and you can't break anything - if the worst that can happen is some idiot ignoring the warnings and texting his mates jibberish characters on occasion, then the world's not going to end.

They are making it optional by continuing to allow multiple apps that enable it.

Can I send an emoji to another iphone user who has not activated emoji and have them see those icons??

Yes, any iPhone that is running 2.2 or higher will be able to see the emoji icons even if they haven't activated it on their phone.

yOyOYoo
Feb 16, 2009, 02:25 PM
What will someone who doesn't have 2.2 see when I send them an emoji?

random characters/numbers/letters?

bobsentell
Feb 16, 2009, 03:44 PM
What will someone who doesn't have 2.2 see when I send them an emoji?

random characters/numbers/letters?

Maybe what Facebook shows. When I type to Facebook with my iPhone, the Emoji font appears. When I look at it on my PC, it's just a dot.

SuperMacMan
Feb 17, 2009, 05:46 AM
You are all very silly.

If a fellow iPhone user has 2.0 or above, he or she will be able to see ANY Emoji you send, be it in an SMS, Email, Website, etc. It does not matter. Nothing to do with carriers. It's all iPhone based. It also works on the iPod Touch.

HOWEVER, if you send an Emoji to a NON-iPhone user, OR a proper computer, the other phone most likely will reject the message completely, or display garbled and weird text. The computer will display a squear with numbers in it.

I don't know why Apple doesn't allow it out of the box. Possibly because it doesn't work on computers or non-iPhones, but who knows...

SuperMacMan

monkeytennis
Feb 19, 2009, 10:06 AM
You are all very silly.

If a fellow iPhone user has 2.0 or above, he or she will be able to see ANY Emoji you send, be it in an SMS, Email, Website, etc. It does not matter. Nothing to do with carriers. It's all iPhone based. It also works on the iPod Touch.

HOWEVER, if you send an Emoji to a NON-iPhone user, OR a proper computer, the other phone most likely will reject the message completely, or display garbled and weird text. The computer will display a squear with numbers in it.

I don't know why Apple doesn't allow it out of the box. Possibly because it doesn't work on computers or non-iPhones, but who knows...

SuperMacMan

Are you absolutely sure? I tried to send emojis to my friend's AT&T iPhone in the US (I'm on O2 in the UK) and it didn't work...

mrzippy
Feb 19, 2009, 02:50 PM
Are you absolutely sure? I tried to send emojis to my friend's AT&T iPhone in the US (I'm on O2 in the UK) and it didn't work...

That is odd as they work fine o2-o2 and it's the o2 message centre that sends to the US, so it should all work fine.

1tigerlivejob
Feb 20, 2009, 02:24 PM
It actually works for me