PDA

View Full Version : Salma Hayek Breast Feeds a Random African Child

és:
Feb 12, 2009, 02:27 AM
I couldn't believe my eyes. What's the deal with breastfeeding somebody else's child. I was a little freaked out by this, I have to admit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM7kKJ1NbQA

Mord
Feb 12, 2009, 02:45 AM
Have you never heard of wet nurses?

As long as the woman knows for sure that she doesn't have any transmissible diseases I don't see any problem with this.

I've never understood why some people are freaked out by human milk, it's never phased me.

és:
Feb 12, 2009, 02:52 AM
Have you never heard of wet nurses?

Sure. Ever heard of hollywood mega stars breastfeeding an African baby?

I've never understood why some people are freaked out by human milk, it's never phased me.

I'm not freaked out by human milk.

quagmire
Feb 12, 2009, 03:00 AM

Then why are you so freaked out over this?

maceleven
Feb 12, 2009, 03:09 AM
Thats one lucky boy :D

és:
Feb 12, 2009, 03:10 AM
Then why are you so freaked out over this?

Human milk and breastfeeding somebody else's child in Africa is the same thing, is it?

iBlue
Feb 12, 2009, 03:18 AM
It's certainly not something you see or hear about every day but I don't think it's overly freaky or anything.

és:
Feb 12, 2009, 03:21 AM
Bunch of libroolz!

Peterkro
Feb 12, 2009, 03:26 AM
What I think is disturbing is in the title "random African Child"

és:
Feb 12, 2009, 03:27 AM

Well, you're reading way, way too much into that.

Peterkro
Feb 12, 2009, 03:49 AM
Well, you're reading way, way too much into that.

Unless I'm misinformed the Baby was hungry and the mother had no milk so Hayek as a nursing mother stepped in to help.To me that is a reaction to a very specific set of circumstances involving specific people and in no way feeding a random African child. If you strip away all the societal ******** I think that's a very natural human reaction to the situation.

és:
Feb 12, 2009, 04:14 AM
Unless I'm misinformed the Baby was hungry and the mother had no milk so Hayek as a nursing mother

She is a nursing mother still? To the baby she had in 2007? Well, that makes a bit of a difference and reduces my freaked outness from 'little' to 'not much'.

Giving formula to many children instead of her plane fare would have been even better.

Regarding the 'random' comment. Whether you think it's right or not is one thing but you said disturbing which is insinuating something.

arkitect
Feb 12, 2009, 04:14 AM
Mexican Woman Breast Feeds a Hungry African Child.

Better?

Seriously if you ignore the celebrity "Brangelina/Madonna" angle it isn't any big deal.

Edit: I guess by the outrage the modern world would take it hard to stomach Pero and Cimon… ;)

teflon
Feb 12, 2009, 05:58 AM
I really don't find anything "freaky" about it. She was helping a starving baby. In fact, I find her actions quite commendable and honourable. If only all the Hollywood stars would spend some time helping others who are less fortunate instead of tanning and partying.

Dagless
Feb 12, 2009, 06:05 AM
Wet nurse. Nothing to see here.

Although, who is she?

Lau
Feb 12, 2009, 06:13 AM
This article (http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/feb/12/health-breastfeeding-salma-hayek) about it has a very reasonable tone to it, I thought, and pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject.

And all the time Hayek seems so unaffected, so straightforward, so clearly engaged in the situation for all the right reasons, that what could have been one of the world's most troubling clips is suddenly moving. In fact, in this fleeting video, Hayek might actually make more of a case for breastfeeding as a natural, positive function than a million health statistics ever could.

iJohnHenry
Feb 12, 2009, 06:41 AM
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g158/MouseMeat/Waittime-1.jpg

Kardashian
Feb 12, 2009, 06:43 AM

Dear Lord. So, because she's a Hollywood 'megastar' it makes her any less of a female human being, incapable of mothering a child?

So why are you freaked out by this? The child isn't going to care where the breast he's sucking on comes from. And I'm pretty sure the child and most of the people in his/her situation won't even have heard of Salma Hayek or even watched a Hollywood film - nevermind sucked on one of its superstars' body parts.

Get over it - seriously.

arkitect
Feb 12, 2009, 06:46 AM
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g158/MouseMeat/Waittime-1.jpg

I admit this went over my head.
:o
What ever does it mean…

iJohnHenry
Feb 12, 2009, 06:50 AM
It jokingly means I'm in line, and not for The Pirates of the Caribbean. ;)

EDIT: Art imitates life?? http://www.staralicious.com/category/selma-hayek/

arkitect
Feb 12, 2009, 06:58 AM

Thanks! :D

és:
Feb 12, 2009, 07:20 AM
Dear Lord. So, because she's a Hollywood 'megastar' it makes her any less of a female human being, incapable of mothering a child?

Yes. That's what I've said and implied. :rolleyes:

In fact, that comment is utterly ridiculous. Incapable of mothering a child? How pathetic.

So why are you freaked out by this?

I said that I was a little freaked out by it. As I explain in an earlier post, I didn't realise she would still be breast feeding her child that she had in 2007 and that made it a lot more understandable.

Get over it - seriously.

Get over yourself. I'm not making a big deal, just though it was a little strange. Talk about overreaction.

heehee
Feb 12, 2009, 07:55 AM
What I find strange is this... breast-feeding at 8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxv6R9fUO74).

Vogue Harper
Feb 12, 2009, 08:00 AM
LOL at the outrage in this thread...

Haha - never thought there would ever be a circumstance when I wished I was a 'Random African Child' :D The little dude went from starving one minute to a huge feast the next (and before the breastfeeding geeks jump on me, I am aware that there is no correlation between breast size and quantity of milk produced).

arkitect
Feb 12, 2009, 08:05 AM

Haha - never thought there would ever be a circumstance when I wished I was a 'Random African Child' :D

Which segues horribly into…
;):p

"Bitty… I want bitty…"

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/leftbehindchild/bitty.jpg

Keebler
Feb 12, 2009, 08:37 AM
She is a nursing mother still? To the baby she had in 2007? Well, that makes a bit of a difference and reduces my freaked outness from 'little' to 'not much'.

Giving formula to many children instead of her plane fare would have been even better.

Regarding the 'random' comment. Whether you think it's right or not is one thing but you said disturbing which is insinuating something.

some women breast feed their babies for 3 or 4 years (the latter becomes a social issue for some folks).

as for this situation, what a lucky kid - she's hot :) lol

and as for the child, good for Hayek to do this on a number of levels. As the article stated, there is a stigma amongst men in that country that a breastfeeding Mom can't have sex or the guys just won't have sex with the Moms. DUMB! Nothing like milk shooting breasts flopping around during a good romp. oops..i might have just said too much. :D On a serious note, the stigma then forces the women to not breastfeed which is the #1 source of nutrients for the baby.

In a nation where food isn't as plentiful, breastfeeding can be extremely important to a child's nutrition.

It's bad enough that in the western world, we eat like absolute gluttons and pigs (for the most part) while parts of the world suffer to eat scraps of food.

As someone else mentioned, as long as Mom doesn't have a transmissable disease, then give 'er.

If we humans would only share just a little bit more, the world would honestly be a better place.

Cheers,
Keebler

Melrose
Feb 12, 2009, 08:39 AM
It's certainly not something you see or hear about every day but I don't think it's overly freaky or anything.

+1. What's the big deal? I mean if she wasn't well known it wouldn't have even shown up in the news and no-one would have any more or less of it.. I think in a way it's actually kind of a sweet gesture.

és:
Feb 12, 2009, 08:41 AM
+1. What's the big deal

There isn't one.

alFR
Feb 12, 2009, 10:05 AM

Maybe I've been living under a rock for the last few years, but I have no idea who she is or why I should care. :confused:

oscillatewildly
Feb 12, 2009, 11:59 AM
For those freaking out, you do know that the milk you drink comes from cows, goats, sheep, buffalo ...

mgguy
Feb 12, 2009, 01:07 PM
All of a sudden I am getting a craving for breast milk.

Mousse
Feb 12, 2009, 01:34 PM
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.
-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I've gained a new respect for her now.:cool: Before, I only viewed her as a hot Hollywood starlet (that's not a good thing in my book.)

Sdashiki
Feb 12, 2009, 01:57 PM

EDIT: Art imitates life?? http://www.staralicious.com/category/selma-hayek/

“I’m like an alcoholic,” Hayek said. “It is like, I don’t care if I cry, I don’t care if I am fat, I am just going to do if for one more week, one more month, and then when I see how much good it is doing her and I can’t stop.”

Wow. So, Im sorry but Im losing a bit of "awww, wet nurse nothing to see here" mystique

question fear
Feb 12, 2009, 02:45 PM

What worries me is who would name their kid that? "Random African Child, please report to the Principal's office."

sutom
Feb 12, 2009, 03:31 PM
+1 more for not getting the freak out OP.
Bunch of libroolz!
Ah, I see.

Lord Blackadder
Feb 12, 2009, 03:33 PM
This article (http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/feb/12/health-breastfeeding-salma-hayek) about it has a very reasonable tone to it, I thought, and pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject.

I agree with it. As corny as it may sound to some, it appears totally genuine.

és:
Feb 12, 2009, 03:45 PM
Ah, I see.

I'm fairly sure that you don't ;)

sutom
Feb 12, 2009, 03:52 PM
Well from that I guess you're a conservative - would you still be freaked out if she breastfed some random american kid or whatever? Somehow it freaks you out even though most people in this thread see nothing wrong with it.

és:
Feb 12, 2009, 03:57 PM
Well from that I guess you're a conservative

I'm really, really not. Nothing could be further from the truth, as anyone who has seen the thousands of posts that I've posted in the Political forum will attest.

Would you still be freaked out if she breastfed some random american kid or whatever?

It would freak me out greatly if it was just some random American kid.

Considering that I was only 'a little' freaked to begin with and then, and if you read the thread you'd see, I changed my opinion a little when I heard that she was still breastfeeding her baby from 2007.

Somehow it freaks you out even though most people in this thread see nothing wrong with it.

A handful of people, nothing more. I would have chosen my wording much more carefully if I'd know the vast overreaction and people changing 'a little' freaked to 'why are you freaking out'.