Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple released iPhoto 4.0.1 today in your Software Update:

iPhoto 4.0.1 includes many organizational and stability enhancements. Performance has also been increased throughout the application, giving you faster importing, smoother image viewing and easier Rendezvous photo sharing. This version of iPhoto also features improved thumbnail images in your photo library. To take advantage of this, your thumbnails must be upgraded, which may take a while, depending on the number of photos in your library.

iPhoto 4 was originally released with iLife '04 in January.

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
I hope this improves the speed a bit.

When I used it last it seemed a bit sluggish but of course that was on an eMac.

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
I have always had iPhoto but have never used it until iLife '04. I think it has improved enough to really be used and I like it quite a bit.

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
Downloading now, only 4 MB. I was really impressed with iPhoto 4's speed when I first got it. Glad to see they're further improving it.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
cool! can't wait until i get off work to try the new one!

whiskeybravo said:
iPhoto was neglected for so long. Glad to see that at least they are paying attention to it now that it is not free :rolleyes:

ha ha, i hear ya... i guess it's not "free" anymore, so apple can't neglect it as much...

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
When I launched iPhoto after the update it asked me to update my thumbnails, which took about a minute on my PowerBook G4 1GHz with 512MB RAM and about 150 photos.

It seems a lot faster. Good job Apple.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Bear said:
With the purchase of a new machine.
true, which is still ilife 04'. i just dont understand what his statement was suppose to mean. yes it is for 04's customers, but isnt that a given anyways, who else would it be for.

iJon

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
Easy install, but it took 29 minutes rebuilding the thumbnails on a 667 PB with 1 gig memory. Perhaps because there were almost 2,000 photos and most were from a 4 mpix digital camera - and some photos were 5 Mb each. Well worth the effort as the thumbnails are excellent.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
On my single G4 933 MHz updating the tumbnails for over 4000 pics takes about 1 hour - prepare for some waiting time after the update!

iPhoto is still working... about 15 min to go....

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Trekkie said:
I've got three words for you

GET OVER IT!

:rolleyes: to you too.

Exactly!

[sarcasm]
It's terrible that a company would charge $49 for 5 better than average applications, especially when they're good values at that price. I believe Apple should start giving away everything--for free.
[/sarcasm]

I'm glad Apple is cotinuing to work on this highly-subsidised application and make it better than ever. It's one more reason that owning a Macintosh makes live easier, or at least, more enjoyable.

njthree

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
kenaustus said:
Easy install, but it took 29 minutes rebuilding the thumbnails on a 667 PB with 1 gig memory. Perhaps because there were almost 2,000 photos and most were from a 4 mpix digital camera - and some photos were 5 Mb each. Well worth the effort as the thumbnails are excellent.

Agree ... Quick install and 8 minute thumbnail update on a 15" TiPB ... :)

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
I just joined the masses and bought a Canon Elph s400. I've been holding out for affordable Digital SLR's but think that Canon and Nikon still have a lot of margin room on their latest sub $1000 offerings. Maybe next year. (Plus Amazon has a pretty good price on this, "end of model year", camera)

I got my first real tast of iPhoto this weeked and am bit put off by the fact that it doesn't keep an "original" copy of your picture. Before now, I've used it quite a bit for organizing images from Picture-CD's but I've always got a backup of the original on both the CD from the lab and, of course, the 35mm negative. But with digital, my original file gets sucked into iPhoto and changed every time I crop it or do anything else to it. Is there a way to make a copy inside of iPhoto so I can have albums of "originals" as well as modified images?

Also the printing didn't seem to want to work with my Epson R300 and some 4x6 photo paper - it kept saying the page was too small for the print. (I'll play with it some more, but that's the kind of stuff iApps are supposed to do for you, isn't it?)

(BTW: Yes, I know I can tell iPhoto to not remove the images from my CF card and then I can copy them off to the HD and/or CD-R)

A friend showed me a Windows app that looks and feels exactly like iPhoto (from my limited exposure to it) and it does maintain a kind of "version control" type of library. Where the original is kept, along with all of the changes you make to the picture. Since CVS/RCS comes with OS X, I wonder if they could integrate it?

estevan2737

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2002
Phoenix, Arizona
I'll wait until later tonight

It's probably a good time to backup my library and I expect the thumbnail upgrade to take an hour or so based on the posts. Can anyone say what was improved in relation to the Rendevous photo sharing? I am hoping it is much much faster.

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
3128 photos... 17 minutes. 512RAM, 4200RPM HD, 1.25Ghz PB...

long enough methinks.

still waiting... but Really looking forward to it...

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
question -->

when do yall think we'll see an update to iTunes and iChat? Im particularily looking forward to these 2 updates - though this iPhoto one is nice :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.