PDA

View Full Version : DELL Using MAC OSX!!!!!!!!!!!!!

goodwill
Mar 23, 2004, 01:30 PM
Is it me, or am I oblivious to something- I saw earlier in the week about stock pictures being for sale and I'm aware windows has a desktop that uses a similar background to apple, however, this genuinely looks like apple to me. thoughts?

goodwill
Mar 23, 2004, 01:32 PM
ok, so they aren't, but id hate windows even more if they did

wdlove
Mar 23, 2004, 01:56 PM
They always say that emulation is the sincerest form of flattery. Dell would go out of business if they didn't. We just need to make sure that they don't cross the line.

briankonar
Mar 23, 2004, 03:03 PM
They always say that emulation is the sincerest form of flattery. Dell would go out of business if they didn't. We just need to make sure that they don't cross the line.
are emulation and imitation the same thing? sorry to nitpick :eek: .

Savage Henry
Mar 23, 2004, 03:08 PM
Dell Copies Apple

Further news tonight:

A stunned Vatican crowd discover the Pope is Catholic and has been for some time now.

Man bitten by dog tells us "well I never heard of no dog biting no man..."

Engagebot
Mar 23, 2004, 03:42 PM
Dell Copies Apple

Further news tonight:

A stunned Vatican crowd discover the Pope is Catholic and has been for some time now.

i have to say, that was an awesome post. bravo.

Spock
Mar 23, 2004, 04:07 PM
The Windows Logo was made on a Mac.

Capt Underpants
Mar 23, 2004, 04:13 PM
HAHA! That's hilarious.....

takao
Mar 23, 2004, 04:17 PM
hm red hat uses _exactly_ the same background as apple uses so they are ripping of too
mandrake has some blue one liek those dells too
btw:most desktop backgrounds are blue ;)

black for me all the way ;-)

MatMistake
Mar 23, 2004, 05:00 PM
btw:most desktop backgrounds are blue ;)

black for me all the way ;-)

:confused: I just read that and forgot what colour my desktop was, and as I'm stuck using wndows its not constantly there peaking out between all the various ap windows
mines that nice flat shade of blue thats defualt on windows (once you remove the horrid defualt picture thay put there). I used to have it really dark gray, but changed it for some reason

the macs I use at collage have a really dull flat gray background, and thay are still using os9 :(
apart from one, where the colour on the moniter is so off its all pink :eek:

Daveman Deluxe
Mar 23, 2004, 05:06 PM
:the macs I use at collage have a really dull flat gray background, and thay are still using os9

Are they specifically for graphic design? Good designers set their desktop backgrounds to middle gray so that color perception is not skewed.

MatMistake
Mar 23, 2004, 05:19 PM
Are they specifically for graphic design? Good designers set their desktop backgrounds to middle gray so that color perception is not skewed.

yes, thay are for graphics, but its not a middle gray, and it has some hidiously coloured writing on it, something along the lines of 'these computers are for educational use only, playing games will result in strict displenary action' and somethina about not eating or drinking in the room

the macs are all set up by the IT staff who reside on the other side of the collage, and probably only ever see the macs once a year, thay wouldn't know a thing about grapics design. The teachers have no imput in to how the macs are set up. one teacher tryed to get them to run a program to try and get atleast semi-decent colour matching on the (cheep horrid LCD) moniters, and thay refused as the virus scanner thay had thought it was a virus.

a while ago we did this one day project where we had to make a short film, in the end it became a two day project as it took so long to get the IT guys to give students permission to use imovie :rolleyes:

that was an enjoyable little rant....

takao
Mar 23, 2004, 05:42 PM
:confused: I just read that and forgot what colour my desktop was, and as I'm stuck using wndows its not constantly there peaking out between all the various ap windows

well im windows user too (yeah i know but this computer runs and i can't buy mac just because i like one now i'll have to wait till this one gets too slow/old)
i actually only look at my desktop when i start up some programs or other applications (i don't use the start menu really) most of the time i use my icons in the quicklaunch bar (10 icons)
in linux i look more often at my background (somebody knows the "KDE Kraftwurm" ? you can get it at http://www.rsise.anu.edu.au/~fergus/wallpaper/kde/) when im using transparent konsole etc.
but in windows i use msot of the time full screen ..in only have a 1024x786 crt sadly enough ..

nuclearwinter
Mar 23, 2004, 07:59 PM
the macs I use at collage have a really dull flat gray background, and thay are still using os9 :(
apart from one, where the colour on the moniter is so off its all pink :eek:

You are in COLLEGE, not COLLAGE. I can't believe people in college can still spell basic words incorrectly. :confused:

nuclearwinter
Mar 23, 2004, 08:02 PM
well im windows user too (yeah i know but this computer runs and i can't buy mac just because i like one now i'll have to wait till this one gets too slow/old)
i actually only look at my desktop when i start up some programs or other applications (i don't use the start menu really) most of the time i use my icons in the quicklaunch bar (10 icons)
in linux i look more often at my background (somebody knows the "KDE Kraftwurm" ? you can get it at http://www.rsise.anu.edu.au/~fergus/wallpaper/kde/) when im using transparent konsole etc.
but in windows i use msot of the time full screen ..in only have a 1024x786 crt sadly enough ..

HOLY FREAKIN' STREAM OF THOUGHT!!!! What the H are you trying to say?

blueflame
Mar 23, 2004, 10:28 PM
HOLY FREAKIN' STREAM OF THOUGHT!!!! What the H are you trying to say?

holy rusted metal batman!

seems like the influx of user-friendiness has converged into the secter of writing. I am sorry for you, you poor windows user you. switch to a Apple, your grammer will improve dramatically, and your stress level will drop.
;-)
AK

AngryLawnGnome
Mar 24, 2004, 01:12 AM
So was the Macrumors logo, and a picture of two birds attacking each other (don't worry about it.)

JFreak
Mar 24, 2004, 01:54 AM
macs are set up by the IT staff who probably only ever see the macs once a year

you're right - they see macs once a year just to check that they are ok. they see windows pc's daily just to fix them ;)

thatwendigo
Mar 24, 2004, 02:13 AM
you're right - they see macs once a year just to check that they are ok. they see windows pc's daily just to fix them ;)

IT Guy: "Yep, looks like that G4 is still on..." *looks down at beeper* "Oh, lovely..."

:D

billyboy
Mar 24, 2004, 06:05 AM
are emulation and imitation the same thing? sorry to nitpick :eek: .

emulate is to duplicate so as to imitate, and probably the same in reverse!

Wash!!
Mar 24, 2004, 07:47 AM

I consider myself a good designer and I don't use the middle gray color I think is boring and uncreative here a pict of my desktop...

Krizoitz
Mar 24, 2004, 09:26 AM
You are in COLLEGE, not COLLAGE. I can't believe people in college can still spell basic words incorrectly. :confused:

becuse lord nos konw one on this bored evar misspellz anything write?

I'm about to graduate and I misspell or misstype all the time. If I am writing a term paper I'll go back and proof read, but for the internet unless I'm trying to make some sort of salient argument that I want taken very seriously (usually the politcal forum, yes I know lost cause but I'm an optimist) then i watch my spelling. Otherwise, meh.

yoman
Mar 24, 2004, 10:48 AM
I consider myself a good designer and I don't use the middle gray color I think is boring and uncreative here a pict of my desktop...

I like your dock. Quite a few icons you got tucked away in there. :)

Wash!!
Mar 24, 2004, 11:05 AM
I like your dock. Quite a few icons you got tucked away in there. :)

I use a lot of applications at the same time :D long live os X

jsw
Mar 24, 2004, 12:39 PM
I use a lot of applications at the same time :D long live os X

I'm sure you probably know this already - I can't quite make out enough detail to tell for certain on your desktop picture - but you could always put a number of those application icons into a folder, then drag the folder onto the dock (right side) and right-click (or control-click for you purists out there) to get at them. That might reduce your dock size, if you care.

Also, and similarly, dragging your Applications folder (and, for many, the Utilities folder within Applications) to your dock lets you have quick and easy access to all your applications, again by right/control clicking.

Again, odds are that you and everyone reading this already knew that, but it's a nice tip (read elsewhere a long time ago) that might help those who don't already know.

A bit off-topic, perhap....

Wash!!
Mar 24, 2004, 01:05 PM
I'm sure you probably know this already - I can't quite make out enough detail to tell for certain on your desktop picture - but you could always put a number of those application icons into a folder, then drag the folder onto the dock (right side) and right-click (or control-click for you purists out there) to get at them. That might reduce your dock size, if you care.

Also, and similarly, dragging your Applications folder (and, for many, the Utilities folder within Applications) to your dock lets you have quick and easy access to all your applications, again by right/control clicking.

Again, odds are that you and everyone reading this already knew that, but it's a nice tip (read elsewhere a long time ago) that might help those who don't already know.

A bit off-topic, perhap.... :cool:

jsw
Mar 24, 2004, 01:21 PM
:cool:

No prob.

See "Mac OS X Panther Killer Tips" by Scott Kelby (see here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735713936) ). You'll know most of it, but those few things you didn't know make the book worth it. Or at least worth browsing at the bookstore. ;)

MatMistake
Mar 24, 2004, 02:05 PM

I am deeply sorry, I apoligise for my dyslexia and the appaling lazyness I display in failing to run everything I type through a spell check.

gekko513
Mar 24, 2004, 05:57 PM
Actually I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip!! (I got my first Mac in January :D )

But now I have another problem ... What am I going to use the second screen for now that I don't need a Finder window with the Applications folder there? ;)

jsw
Mar 24, 2004, 06:50 PM
Actually I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip!! (I got my first Mac in January :D )

But now I have another problem ... What am I going to use the second screen for now that I don't need a Finder window with the Applications folder there? ;)

Looks like you'll need to buy a new G5 to use that monitor...

;)

Nermal
Mar 24, 2004, 08:20 PM
Yes, it's true, Dell have used System 7 :rolleyes:

In 1998 we bought a Dell, and it came with a service and support brochure, with screenshots of their support website. These screenshots were taken with Internet Explorer, on System 7.

hulugu
Mar 24, 2004, 10:28 PM

You do realize that while everything is your sentence is spelled correctly, the actual structure of the sentence is a mess. Try instead: I can't believe college students cannot spell basic words correctly.

A message from your friendly neighborhood grammar nazi.

Personally, I wish everyone who posted would just hit Cmd : but oh well.

However, Mat understands grammar: I am deeply sorry, I apoligise for my dyslexia and the appaling lazyness I display in failing to run everything I type through a spell check. but his spelling remains flawed at best.
:D

whocares
Mar 24, 2004, 10:47 PM
I am deeply sorry, I apoligise for my dyslexia and the appaling lazyness I display in failing to run everything I type through a spell check.

I think you should be banned for your disrespect for other members! :eek: :eek: :p :p :p

hulugu
Mar 25, 2004, 01:25 AM
I think you should be banned for your disrespect for other members! :eek: :eek: :p :p :p

Hey whocares, where are you in France? I'm going to Europe in the summer and I want to know where I should go.

studebakerhwk13
Mar 25, 2004, 02:52 PM

I'm a designer (some people say I am good) and I like it when my colors get skewed, so I have an Alien vs Predator screen on one machine and Spiderman 2 on my primary color correction monitor.

BTW, you guys have me in tears laughing at this thread. My coworkers keep asking me what I am chuckling about when I guess I should be getting some work done. Oh, research, I tell 'em.

bennetsaysargh
Mar 25, 2004, 04:46 PM
Dell Copies Apple

Further news tonight:

wait a minute, how did you know they were going to say on the 5 o'clock news?
;)

imitation is coping, emulation is getting the feel of it.

Crikey
Mar 26, 2004, 01:02 AM
I saw a Gateway ad in PC Magazine once where a smiling twentysomething was sitting cross-legged on the floor with a TiBook in his lap. It was unmistakably an Apple. Gateway had just come out with a bronzy metallic finish notebook in emulation of Apple's, but the one pictured was the real deal.

Pretty funny.

Crikey

Colonel Panik
Mar 26, 2004, 10:41 AM

Jeez, give the guy a break. Perhaps he really is part of a collage, you know, stuck on a wall together with coloured triangular bits of paper, and perhaps he's hung in the computer department.

What I can't believe is how many people write 'then' when they should write 'than'. That really gets on my tits.

jsw
Mar 26, 2004, 11:33 AM
Jeez, give the guy a break. Perhaps he really is part of a collage, you know, stuck on a wall together with coloured triangular bits of paper, and perhaps he's hung in the computer department.

You mgiht be right. However, based on the following:

the macs are all set up by the IT staff who reside on the other side of the collage...

it is likely a rather large piece of art.

:)

MatMistake: just messing with you. No offense intended.

Wash!!
Mar 26, 2004, 11:42 AM
You mgiht be right. However, based on the following:

it is likely a rather large piece of art.

:)

MatMistake: just messing with you. No offense intended.

I'm going to start writing my replies in Spanish...no maybe Japanese, no wait I know Klingon... Pat nak chack!!!

takao
Mar 26, 2004, 11:45 AM
I'm going to start writing my replies in Spanish...no maybe Japanese, no wait I know Klingon... Pat nak chack!!!

LOL that saved my day haha

MatMistake
Mar 27, 2004, 05:50 AM

hahaha
I'm not a big fan of collage, this (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/alsadler/Mat/art/) is the kind of art stuff I do :D

(apoligies to any dial-up users who click that link)

blue&whiteman
Mar 27, 2004, 07:30 AM
Dell Copies Apple

many companies do. apple is the company hardcore pc users/makers love to hate. I would say that alienware is the only pc company that comes close to apple in style.

iMook
Mar 31, 2004, 08:52 PM
many companies do. apple is the company hardcore pc users/makers love to hate. I would say that alienware is the only pc company that comes close to apple in style.

Alienware? I'd have to disagree with you on that one. Alienware may have a "unique" sense of style, but its motif is too over-the-top. Apple's is simple, elegant, and rather minimalist, especially the new aluminum scheme. I'd say that Voodoo or Falcon Northwest come closest to Apple's styling.

P.S. - Spelling is a big pet peeve of mine. Seriously, I just don't understand the difficulty in typing the correct sequence of keys, when you've only got a total of about 40-50 to contend with. Then again, I think not having punctuation or decent grammar is just idiotic, but that's me.

Mac-Xpert
Apr 1, 2004, 03:32 AM
P.S. - Spelling is a big pet peeve of mine. Seriously, I just don't understand the difficulty in typing the correct sequence of keys, when you've only got a total of about 40-50 to contend with. Then again, I think not having punctuation or decent grammar is just idiotic, but that's me.

Maybe you like to consider that some of the people on this board (like me) don't speak English natively. Although some might make language mistakes out of sloppiness, calling them idiots is going a bit far. You might like to try communicating with other people in a for you not native language yourself to see what I mean. Maybe you like to try my native language sometime (Dutch):

Dan zul je zien dat het nog niet meevalt om alle woorden correct te spellen!
;)

MatMistake
Apr 1, 2004, 01:04 PM
P.S. - Spelling is a big pet peeve of mine. Seriously, I just don't understand the difficulty in typing the correct sequence of keys, when you've only got a total of about 40-50 to contend with.

people who can not cope with mine or others incorrect spelling is a pet peeve of mine...
I don't understand the difficulty of reading a word that has one, maby 2, letters misplaced or incorrect. Infact studys have shown that if you get the first and last letters of a word right, you can put the rest of the letters in that word in a totally random order and it is still understandable.

I think its an awful attuide to look down on people who have difficulty with spelling. learning difficultys such as dyslexia often go hand in hand with creativity and intelligence. Shakespeare couldn't spell at all, Warhol was an awful writer, and in my art class the percentage of people with dyslexia jumps from a few % in the normal population to around 50%!

oh, and a standard keybord has 101 keys :)