Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harrishimo

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
hey guys, just asking for a bit of help really, only had my macbook for a day and when im generally web browsing etc, using istat pro im noticing quite high temps for the different components;

HD macintosh HD : 33
CPU A : 78
Enclosure base : 31
Enclosure base 2 : 31
Enclosure base 3 : 29
Heatsink A : 71
Heatsink B : 61
Northbridge 1 : 53

*all numbers are the temps, im just a bit worried cos i know of the damage that it can do to a computer

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated :D

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
those numbers are FINE! they seriously are. dont worry.

keep the back of the MB away from say a blanket, always give it some air.

have you been watching some youtube? that will always get it running a tad hot.

its fine!

JG271

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
UK
Ah - those do look a bit high! What have you been doing on it, and for how long?

My last-gen white macbook is about -25° less than the CPU and heatsink temps you posted.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Ah - those do look a bit high! What have you been doing on it, and for how long?

My last-gen white macbook is about -25° less than the CPU and heatsink temps you posted.

i wouldnt say they are high, we have no idea where he is using it (bed, desk, outside temperature) or what apps he is using..

daisun

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2009
What's your fan speed? I've only seen my cpu that high while having several apps open ie. photoshop, fusion, safari, messenger etc.

You should check what processes are running in the background. Maybe there's something running which isn't suppose to.

You could also try smcFanControl (dont have link, but google will find it) its a program which lets you change the minimum speed at which the fans will spin. By default they are set at min 2000rpm.

JG271

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
UK
i wouldnt say they are high, we have no idea where he is using it (bed, desk, outside temperature) or what apps he is using..

Yeah which is why I asked what he was doing - but the way the questions was worded led me to think that he hadn't had it on for long.

OP: Anything flash related, such as youtube will get up your temps.

harrishimo

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
thanks for the quick replies

i had it on a pillow on my knee so i think it might not have had enough air

all i had running was safari, finder and i tunes

ive now got smcfancontrol and ive set the min fan speed to 2200 RPM and it seems to be keeping it below 70

should i tryn to keep it on tables and the like?

thanks

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
thanks for the quick replies

i had it on a pillow on my knee so i think it might not have had enough air

all i had running was safari, finder and i tunes

ive now got smcfancontrol and ive set the min fan speed to 2200 RPM and it seems to be keeping it below 70

should i tryn to keep it on tables and the like?

thanks

oh the pillow explains it, it cuts off circulation. the only vent is at the back.

yes try to keep it on tables, or use a book instead of a pillow :) 78° isnt that hot, we have all had hotter :) SMCFanControl is very useful and will save you a few months lifetime in the longrun :)

goodluck with your new MB!

harrishimo

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
thanks a lot, last thing ill ask though...

ive now got it on my table and the fan is on a min speed of 2000RPM

according to smcfancontrol its at 75 degrees, is that about right, it wont harm the computer will it?

thanks very much for bein so understandin btw :D

dylanbrown

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
London
HD macintosh HD : 33
CPU A : 78
Enclosure base : 31
Enclosure base 2 : 31
Enclosure base 3 : 29
Heatsink A : 71
Heatsink B : 61
Northbridge 1 : 53

No need to worry! I've had my MacBook for over 1year, and at times, the CPU A temp has reached above 90! I think it is safe to say that some Apple products do run a little bit hot. (My Time Capsule gives out a nice heat too!)

harrishimo

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
good to hear, im just casually working on it now and its dropped to below 50 degrees and the fans only at 2000rpm

i think i just panicked, dont want anything to happen to my new child, hahaha

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
good to hear, im just casually working on it now and its dropped to below 50 degrees and the fans only at 2000rpm

i think i just panicked, dont want anything to happen to my new child, hahaha

haha, in regards to your other question it wont damage it at all. my original MBP sits around those temperatures 24/7!! so just be lucky your CPU is actually produced with thermal thoughts and can actually stay cool! haha

the computer has a built in hardware shutdown, if it gets to hot it will turn off with no warning, but you will never get it that high. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.