PDA

View Full Version : AT&T Again Selling $99 Refurbished iPhone 3G

Mercury7
Feb 17, 2009, 02:06 PM
apologies if everyone knew this....I was browsing the att website and found the 99.00 iphones are back. Scott

SFStateStudent
Feb 17, 2009, 02:15 PM
+1 ^^^ Yup, here's the website address:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phones/apple.jsp

manhattanboy
Feb 17, 2009, 02:18 PM
apologies if everyone knew this....I was browsing the att website and found the 99.00 iphones are back. Scott

Just to be clear, these are the refurbished iPhones... no change in the regular iPhone prices.

icecold0913
Feb 17, 2009, 02:26 PM
So I'm assuming this is the same deal as last time where this offer is only available to new customers and not to existing customers looking to upgrade and renew their contract?

Mercury7
Feb 17, 2009, 02:30 PM
I don't know the details.....but I am seriously considering this......I have been torn on whether to wait and see what is coming in June. what would yall do?

I am going month to month on alltel now.

RTiii320
Feb 17, 2009, 02:41 PM
It's been there for the last two days...

Quick question for people though... I am currently on a 2 year contract and lost my iphone 3g ..AGAIN!

The first time i bought it i got it at the $299 price, the next time i had to pay $499 the full retail price! which came to $540

Now my question is, if i add a line to my at&t contract. Purchase the iphone 16gb for $199, and there after cancel my contract... I know i will have to pay the $175 ETF (early termination fee) but that only adds up $395 so is it really easier to do that? or am i better off buying it at a full retail price??

p.s. I dont care if its a refurb, with the all likely hood of a new iphone coming out over the summer i just need one for a couple months..

SFStateStudent
Feb 17, 2009, 02:53 PM
Just to be clear, these are the refurbished iPhones... no change in the regular iPhone prices.

Yup, just refurbs; prices remain the same on new 3G iPhones...

eplchamps0304
Feb 17, 2009, 03:55 PM
It's been there for the last two days...

Quick question for people though... I am currently on a 2 year contract and lost my iphone 3g ..AGAIN!

The first time i bought it i got it at the $299 price, the next time i had to pay $499 the full retail price! which came to $540

Now my question is, if i add a line to my at&t contract. Purchase the iphone 16gb for $199, and there after cancel my contract... I know i will have to pay the $175 ETF (early termination fee) but that only adds up $395 so is it really easier to do that? or am i better off buying it at a full retail price??

p.s. I dont care if its a refurb, with the all likely hood of a new iphone coming out over the summer i just need one for a couple months..

It will cost you more than 395 to do what you mentioned above. Let's see, 199 for the phone, 35 activation fee, prorated + first months bill = 130+, and the ETF of 175.

SFStateStudent
Feb 17, 2009, 04:02 PM
It will cost you more than 395 to do what you mentioned above. Let's see, 199 for the phone, 35 activation fee, prorated + first months bill = 130+, and the ETF of 175.

Unless he/she is just looking to pay the for the iPhone and ETF plus taxes...:eek:

eplchamps0304
Feb 17, 2009, 04:15 PM
Unless he/she is just looking to pay the for the iPhone and ETF plus taxes...:eek:

How is that possible? You have to have 30 days of service to keep the phone.

RTiii320
Feb 17, 2009, 04:34 PM
How is that possible? You have to have 30 days of service to keep the phone.

So is that only the $9.99 to add a line to my family plan that already has 2 lines?

Ok, so... $199 for the iphone... adding a line to my bill $9.99 ... activation fee $35..and $175 ETF.. comes to $420

420 still beats 540 but what type of pro-rate am i looking at here?

CBR900RR
Feb 17, 2009, 04:47 PM
Is this true?

LINK (http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/904509/)

AquaX

Just a word of advice, not meant to threadcrap, but be sure you want an AT&T refurb. The refurbishment is done by AT&T, not by Apple, and AT&T doesn't have the manufacturing facilities to rebuild/remanufacture iPhones. These are simply software wiped, then tested. Furthermore, they only have a 90 day warranty, not the full year that an iPhone purchased from Apple will have.

RTiii320
Feb 17, 2009, 05:37 PM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e236/lbcsk8r303/Picture1-5.png

Interesting to note that the AT&T phones are "Independently Tested". However, they say they have a 90-Day warranty and show a link for Apple.

So I would imagine if it does mess up before the 90 days you would be able to go to Apple and get one of their Apple Refurb's.

Mercury7
Feb 17, 2009, 05:39 PM
sounds false...apple normally backs up refurbished products with original warranty

here is the text from apple.....guess the question would be if the iphones are apple certified?

Apple Certified Refurbished Products
Frequently Asked Questions:
(1) What are Apple Certified Refurbished Products?

Apple Certified Refurbished Products are pre-owned Apple products that undergo Apple's stringent refurbishment process prior to being offered for sale. These products have been returned under Apple's Return and Refund Policies. While only some units are returned due to technical issues, all units undergo Apple's stringent quality refurbishment process.

Each Apple Certified Refurbished Product:

* is fully tested (including full burn-in testing).
* is refurbished with replacement parts for any defective modules identified in testing.
* is put through a thorough cleaning process and inspection.
* is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, new boxes, etc.).
* includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system. See each products "Learn More" for more details.
* is given a new refurbished part number and serial number.
* is placed into a Final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock.

Refurbishment procedures follow the same basic technical guidelines as Apple's Finished Goods testing procedures.

(2) What should I expect when I purchase an Apple Certified Refurbished Product?

* Substantial savings
* A fully functional unit with complete documentation
* The assurance that the unit meets Apple's premiere quality standards, and that its defective components have been replaced by genuine Apple components

(3) Can I purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan for my Apple Certified Refurbished Product?

All Apple Certified Refurbished Products are covered by Apple's One-Year Limited Warranty. For extended coverage, you have the option of purchasing the AppleCare Protection Plan with your Apple Certified Refurbished Product. The AppleCare Protection Plan extends the complimentary coverage on your Apple Certified Refurbished Product to up to three years of world-class support for Mac, and up to two years of world-class support for iPod, iPhone, and Apple TV.

dave006
Feb 17, 2009, 05:41 PM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e236/lbcsk8r303/Picture1-5.png

Interesting to note that the AT&T phones are "Independently Tested". However, they say they have a 90-Day warranty and show a link for Apple.

So I would imagine if it does mess up before the 90 days you would be able to go to Apple and get one of their Apple Refurb's.Actually it says 90 days or more....

Link: http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/sharedSegments/iphone3GRefurbPopup.jsp

Normally you would get any remaining warranty based on the original activation date of the phone. Some individuals have reported that they have been able to get Apple to reset their warranty status. Your results may vary...:)

Dave

dave006
Feb 17, 2009, 05:45 PM
sounds false...apple normally backs up refurbished products with original warrantyThat is true for an Apple refurbished device.

AT&T and now Best Buy are offering "refurbished" iPhone 3Gs that have not been throught the Formal Apple refurbished process. So as I posted above your experience with getting a new 1 year warranty will vary by individual.

So individuals have reported that they even got more then 1 year total as the original purchaser had also purchased AppleCare.:)

Dave

RTiii320
Feb 17, 2009, 05:46 PM
Thanks... That helps make my decision a lot easier..

Tallest Skil
Feb 17, 2009, 05:49 PM
So is that only the $9.99 to add a line to my family plan that already has 2 lines?

Ok, so... $199 for the iphone... adding a line to my bill $9.99 ... activation fee $35..and $175 ETF.. comes to $420

420 still beats 540 but what type of pro-rate am i looking at here?

The iPhone plan is $60 because you have to have data. I'm pretty sure it's not a ten dollar extra line addition.

RTiii320
Feb 17, 2009, 05:54 PM
The iPhone plan is $60 because you have to have data. I'm pretty sure it's not a ten dollar extra line addition.

I think it might be $9.99 and then $30 for the data plan .. so your right it is more. around $450 for the phone.

dave006
Feb 17, 2009, 06:31 PM

420 still beats 540 but what type of pro-rate am i looking at here?If you are on a FamilTalk plan;

Activation: $26 (FamilyTalk add-a-line)
Add-a-line: $9.99 one month
iPhone 3G Data Plan: $30 one month

Dave

deratka
Feb 17, 2009, 08:30 PM
I bought an 8gb refurb at Best Buy 8 days ago for $149. Now I could have bought a 16gb for $199 at AT&T. Do you think there's any way to turn my 8gb into AT&T and get a 16gb refurb (paying the price difference of course), since I am still under the 30 days? It's probably just wishful thinking because I would think I'd have to return it to Best Buy if I wanted to. Thanks for the advice.

madlib
Feb 18, 2009, 09:06 AM
I bought an 8gb refurb at Best Buy 8 days ago for $149. Now I could have bought a 16gb for $199 at AT&T. Do you think there's any way to turn my 8gb into AT&T and get a 16gb refurb (paying the price difference of course), since I am still under the 30 days? It's probably just wishful thinking because I would think I'd have to return it to Best Buy if I wanted to. Thanks for the advice.

pretty sure you could best buy has a 30 day price guarantee

RTiii320
Feb 18, 2009, 01:08 PM
so if i were to buy one of these phones is it an online order only or can i pick one of these up inside the stores???

Rayfire
Feb 18, 2009, 02:07 PM
so if i were to buy one of these phones is it an online order only or can i pick one of these up inside the stores???

Online only, tried that before (during December '08) and they said it was only online.

RTiii320
Feb 18, 2009, 02:17 PM
Online only, tried that before (during December '08) and they said it was only online.

does it ship to your house , or do they make u go to the store to pick it up and activate it?

Rayfire
Feb 18, 2009, 02:22 PM
does it ship to your house , or do they make u go to the store to pick it up and activate it?

Shipped to your house. (mine came from Fedex)

RTiii320
Feb 18, 2009, 02:25 PM
Shipped to your house. (mine came from Fedex)

sorry to bother but from the time you ordered how long did it take to arrive? and is there anyway to do an overnight shipping?

thanks a lot

Rayfire
Feb 18, 2009, 02:31 PM
sorry to bother but from the time you ordered how long did it take to arrive? and is there anyway to do an overnight shipping?

thanks a lot

Before it took 3 days. Right now, just by looking at AT&T's check out page, it says 2 day priority shipping is free. Never saw any overnight shipping.

MacRumors
Feb 18, 2009, 04:33 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/02/18/atandt-again-selling-99-refurbished-iphone-3g/)

AT&T is again offering refurbished iPhone 3Gs (http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phones/cell-phones.jsp?fearefurbished=refurbished&allTypes=on&feapaytype=standard&startFilter=false&manapple=apple) at $99 for the 8 GB model and $199 for the 16 GB models, a $100 discount from the non-refurbished price and a $50 discount from their standard refurbished price. All sales require a two-year contract.

According to AT&T's site, refurbished iPhones may come with minor cosmetic issues.Refurbished phones are previously owned devices that have been unused or lightly used and returned during the 30-day trial period. Each refurbished phone is independently quality tested and loaded with the latest software to meet current factory standards. Some refurbished iPhone 3G devices will have minor scratches.
AT&T briefly offered refurbished 8 GB iPhone 3Gs for $99 in late December (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/12/26/atandt-begins-selling-99-refurbished-iphone/).

Article Link: AT&T Again Selling $99 Refurbished iPhone 3G (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/02/18/atandt-again-selling-99-refurbished-iphone-3g/)

ejrizo
Feb 18, 2009, 05:24 PM
too bad my Girlfriend just bought her brand new one a week ago

RTiii320
Feb 18, 2009, 05:43 PM
Before it took 3 days. Right now, just by looking at AT&T's check out page, it says 2 day priority shipping is free. Never saw any overnight shipping.

alright so i ordered a 16gb white for $199, how did yours look? did it look like a new one as the Apple refurb's often are? Also does it comes with any accessories? I already have the charger from my old one but I wouldn't mind a fresh set of headphones.

Hopefully by friday with the 2 day shipping:rolleyes:

jasonforisrael
Feb 18, 2009, 06:01 PM
Do you get the headphones and all of that jazz with the refurb?

jasonforisrael
Feb 18, 2009, 06:03 PM
Also is there a way to pay for the phone with a seperate billing address than what is listed to pay the monthly bill? I'm on a family plan with my mother and brother but I want to pay for the iPhone refurb myself with my debit card.

EDIT: Also can anyone speak for sure as to whether these are tested by Apple or AT&T? I honestly don't think I want to risk getting one if it is tested by AT&T. I'm still an original iPhone user looking to possibly upgrade.

dave006
Feb 18, 2009, 06:04 PM
Yes you get the normal AT&T iPhone 3G box with all the normal accessories.

Dave

dave006
Feb 18, 2009, 06:08 PM

thanks a lot

FedEx 2nd Day Delivery ($0.00)
FedEx Next Day Delivery ($14.95)

Dave

Rayfire
Feb 18, 2009, 06:46 PM
alright so i ordered a 16gb white for $199, how did yours look? did it look like a new one as the Apple refurb's often are? Also does it comes with any accessories? I already have the charger from my old one but I wouldn't mind a fresh set of headphones.

Hopefully by friday with the 2 day shipping:rolleyes:

My refurb looked fine, and there were no scratches present :D I guess the previous owner didn't really bother to use it often.

I think Apple does the testing on the refurbs, not AT&T. Haven't seen a single bit of a problem on the refurb.

happydude
Feb 18, 2009, 07:01 PM
i bet my old one is being sold somewhere in an at&t store. i've turned in one cracked white iphone. my 2nd one . . . cracked. yes, the lawsuit has merit . . .

dave006
Feb 18, 2009, 07:38 PM
My refurb looked fine, and there were no scratches present :D I guess the previous owner didn't really bother to use it often.

I think Apple does the testing on the refurbs, not AT&T. Haven't seen a single bit of a problem on the refurb.Just to clear up any confusion. They AT&T refurbished and the Best Buy refurbished iPhone 3Gs have not been throught the Apple refurbishement process.

Dave

icecold0913
Feb 18, 2009, 07:46 PM
Just double checked in case anyone was wondering (like me) if you can upgrade to a refurb as an existing AT&T customer, and according to the website you can if your previous contract is up. Last time they offered refurbs it was only for new customers signing a new contract, and existing customers didn't even have the option of purchasing a refurb.

So, this is pretty awesome if you're already with AT&T, upgrade eligible, and haven't gotten an iPhone yet because of the price.

RTiii320
Feb 18, 2009, 08:38 PM
FedEx 2nd Day Delivery ($0.00)
FedEx Next Day Delivery ($14.95)

Dave

Are you kidding me ! I looked everywhere to change the delivery option.... Fingers crossed for Friday

RTiii320
Feb 18, 2009, 08:48 PM
delete.sorry

Eduardo1971
Feb 18, 2009, 10:40 PM
Are you allow to purchase AppleCare on the refurbished iPhones?

lazyrighteye
Feb 19, 2009, 12:10 AM
I don't know the details.....but I am seriously considering this......I have been torn on whether to wait and see what is coming in June. what would yall do?

I am going month to month on alltel now.

As both a gen 1 iPhone user and now a 3G user - I'd wait.
Chill on your mo. to mo. and wait for the next revision.
I think you'll be kicking yourself if you give in now.
Seriously, what's a few more months in the bigger picture?

bytethese
Feb 19, 2009, 08:09 AM
Refurbished Phones and Devices
Refurbished phones are previously owned devices that have been unused or lightly used and returned during the 30-day trial period. Each refurbished phone is independently quality tested and loaded with the latest software to meet current factory standards. Some refurbished iPhone 3G devices will have minor scratches.

re·fur·bish (r-fūrbsh)
tr.v. re·fur·bished, re·fur·bish·ing, re·fur·bish·es
To make clean, bright, or fresh again; renovate.

If it has scratches, how is this making it "fresh again"? Simply updating the software and wiping off the device would be akin to buying a used car that had it's engine checked but left scratches all over the doors. What gives?

RTiii320
Feb 19, 2009, 09:34 AM
I think it says "light" scratches if any... Also if they were to put a new screen and back casing on to eliminate the "scratches" then wouldn't that make it more of a "new" product?

Also like another poster mentioned, will I be allowed to buy Apple Care for this?

Benster
Feb 19, 2009, 09:36 AM
I just ordered an 8GB for my wife and upgrading my 16GB 2G for a 16GB 3G. Will post back feedback in a few days on how they look cosmetic-wise and if there were any issues.

-Benster

Heinekev
Feb 19, 2009, 09:53 AM
Just ordered an 8gb refurb to upgrade my first gen EDGE iPhone. It served me well. Upgrade process was really easy.

Here's hoping it's good cosmetically! Wish I saw where I could do next day shipping. I did the free fedex 2day, damned!

vivithemage
Feb 19, 2009, 10:23 AM
hrmmm, I am a new customer, wonder if I should hop on this...70$ a month is a lot, but I will just pay the ETF of 175 and get out and use my TMobile plan. Do the applecare warranties work for these?

or would it be best to wait until they release new phones?

bytethese
Feb 19, 2009, 10:32 AM
hrmmm, I am a new customer, wonder if I should hop on this...70$ a month is a lot, but I will just pay the ETF of 175 and get out and use my TMobile plan. Do the applecare warranties work for these?

or would it be best to wait until they release new phones?

Not as a new customer I wouldn't. These iPhones will come with 2.2.1 firmware, which you cannot unlock and use on T-Mobile...

vivithemage
Feb 19, 2009, 10:34 AM
I would keep the ATT plan for a few months probably, just to play with 3G...i am out of contract with TMobile, so not a big deal.

I am just curious if I should just wait for what's released this summer...whatever it is, is it worth the wait/risk? This is a pretty good deal..200$ for refurb + cashback...

I just want to make sure i'll keep my phone IF I cancel my plan...if I cancel after 30 days, I will pay 175 + first month, correct?

so 100 + 36 for activation + 175 ETF + 70 for first month.

so about 380...I would be able to keep my phone, yes? :D

optophobia
Feb 19, 2009, 01:49 PM

ships to your house

RTiii320
Feb 19, 2009, 02:15 PM
so about 380...I would be able to keep my phone, yes? :D

Yes for an 8GB not 16GB...

I just checked the shipment of mine and it is UPS shipping, coming from Dallas Texas and I am in Long Beach CA.. The tracker said "In Transit" , I will also comment on the appearance of it

pliskin
Feb 19, 2009, 06:47 PM
i ordered one too, for the hell of it; my 1st gen is shot and I was planning on buying whatever comes around the bend (this June hopefully) anyways. I'll post up when it arrives on Monday.

xerenthar
Feb 20, 2009, 08:33 AM
broke my iPhone 3G, apple wanted me to buy one for 500.

can i get a 199 16gb?

bytethese
Feb 20, 2009, 08:39 AM
broke my iPhone 3G, apple wanted me to buy one for 500.

can i get a 199 16gb?

Nope, for the same reason you can't get a new 16GB for $299. I'm guessing the refurb will cost you about $299-$399.

RTiii320
Feb 20, 2009, 11:59 AM
Nope, for the same reason you can't get a new 16GB for $299. I'm guessing the refurb will cost you about $299-$399.

You actually can't pay full retail for the refurb's it is only available to people that are adding a line or else if they are eligible for an upgrade..

rjflyn
Feb 20, 2009, 01:02 PM
Just curious, I ordered a couple phones via the premier store yesterday morning for the wife and myself. The order status page has been stuck on processing since shortly after. How long generally after does it take to ship. They did post phone numbers about 3 hours in to the process for what its worth.

R

RTiii320
Feb 20, 2009, 01:20 PM
I ordered mine on wednesday and it was not until the mid-day thursday did it come up with tracking numbers.. It started off in Dallas and now is in Kentucky, all on its way to California :confused:.. I was hoping for a shipment today but now it looks like Mondays the day

Benster
Feb 20, 2009, 01:34 PM
Just curious, I ordered a couple phones via the premier store yesterday morning for the wife and myself. The order status page has been stuck on processing since shortly after. How long generally after does it take to ship. They did post phone numbers about 3 hours in to the process for what its worth.

R

I'm in EXACTLY the same boat at the moment. Mine are not new service, both are existing upgrades. FWIW, I did get two emails about by new IPhone service from AT&T so something is moving along.

-Benster

Skystar
Feb 20, 2009, 03:35 PM

R

I ordered mine yesterday morning (added a line), I got the tracking info this morning, and mine has also just left Kentucky to California for Monday Feb. 23rd delivery. This morning I also got the new phone number and info emails.

RTiii320
Feb 20, 2009, 04:02 PM
I ordered mine yesterday morning (added a line), I got the tracking info this morning, and mine has also just left Kentucky to California for Monday Feb. 23rd delivery. This morning I also got the new phone number and info emails.

Man that upsets me, I ordered mine a day before yours so you would think it would come a day before... but no not till monday

rjflyn
Feb 20, 2009, 04:29 PM
Well my order went in around 9 AM yesterday as of now 5:30 its still showing processing. so its probably going to be at least Monday if not later. My confirmation email says 2-5 days for it to go out :( . The have taken my money from my bank account though so I dont know what that means.

CST
Feb 20, 2009, 06:09 PM
Can you pick these up at the Apple Store when you buy them from ATT? I know you can if you buy them straight from Apple.

Skystar
Feb 20, 2009, 06:54 PM
Can you pick these up at the Apple Store when you buy them from ATT? I know you can if you buy them straight from Apple.

Nope, these are strictly AT&T's refurbs.

rjflyn
Feb 20, 2009, 07:35 PM
just got an update email this evening. They must be selling a ton of these because based on the times on the I have on the emails I have gotten and the tracking information from FedEX there is about a 27 delay in notification of shipping and when they actually picked up the package or that was the case for me.

RTiii320
Feb 20, 2009, 09:31 PM
All on it's way to Long Beach
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e236/lbcsk8r303/Picture1-6.png

Rayfire
Feb 20, 2009, 10:30 PM
The White 16GB and Black 16GB iPhone Refurbished are both out of stock.
Guess a lot of people really snagged this deal.

twoodcc
Feb 21, 2009, 10:09 AM
glad to see it. get more iphones out there. it seems i see a lot of people with iphones everywhere i go.

macster84
Feb 21, 2009, 12:09 PM
Its interesting that the ATT website says the refurbs are "unused or lightly used and returns." My local store didn't have any iphones on display. Could ATT be selling those display models in advance of new ones this summer? Seems a bit early. Lets see, 6 kiosks of iPhones x assume 1,000 ATT stores = 6,000 phones available for sale, plus actual customer returns?

SFStateStudent
Feb 21, 2009, 01:00 PM
All on it's way to Long Beach

That's quite a trip since the 19th; anywhere near Signal Hill? My brother is in that area...

Heinekev
Feb 21, 2009, 01:26 PM
I ordered mine on wednesday and it was not until the mid-day thursday did it come up with tracking numbers.. It started off in Dallas and now is in Kentucky, all on its way to California :confused:.. I was hoping for a shipment today but now it looks like Mondays the day

If it's in Kentucky, it's at the eastern UPS hub here in Louisville. It'll fly out overnight.

RTiii320
Feb 21, 2009, 02:38 PM
Its interesting that the ATT website says the refurbs are "unused or lightly used and returns." My local store didn't have any iphones on display. Could ATT be selling those display models in advance of new ones this summer? Seems a bit early. Lets see, 6 kiosks of iPhones x assume 1,000 ATT stores = 6,000 phones available for sale, plus actual customer returns?

No I just went and paid my bill at the AT&T store and they had all there displays still up, like you said it's still too early to be preparing for a new model... Which is at least 4-6 (maybe even longer) months away...

That's quite a trip since the 19th; anywhere near Signal Hill? My brother is in that area...

Yeah no more than 10 minutes from there, I am near the Long Beach Town Center if that rings a bell, 605 and Carson street? And your right, It is quite a trip on its way west..

Waythos
Feb 23, 2009, 11:10 AM
Noted today, 23 Feb 09, that BestBuy is offering new $99 IPhones. ($199 w/$100 mail in rebate). Good news all around.

Waythos

Benster
Feb 23, 2009, 11:33 AM
My 8GB 3G and 16GB 3G are here. They both look completely flawless and activated seamlessly through automated activation service.

Unless they fall apart in the next 24 hours, I could not be more pleased. Both were upgrades to existing contracts, the 8GB replaced a RAZR and the 16GB replaced my 16GB Gen 1 IPhone.

-Benster

RTiii320
Feb 23, 2009, 12:08 PM
My 8GB 3G and 16GB 3G are here. They both look completely flawless and activated seamlessly through automated activation service.

Unless they fall apart in the next 24 hours, I could not be more pleased. Both were upgrades to existing contracts, the 8GB replaced a RAZR and the 16GB replaced my 16GB Gen 1 IPhone.

-Benster

did it come in a at&t refurb box? or did it come in the original box ?

Noted today, 23 Feb 09, that BestBuy is offering new $99 IPhones. ($199 w/$100 mail in rebate). Good news all around.

Waythos

Great to see that they are offering iphones cheaper as well, the only flaw is that you would have had to been a BestBuy Reward Zone customer prior to the 21st of the month to receive this discount. The new sign-ups are not being offered this, but i agree with you if i had the reward zone i would of purchased one, $199 for a BRAND NEW iphone, is by FAR the best deal out right now..

I am at college about 3 miles from home, so I am hoping that they don't deliver when i am gone, Does anyone know if this requires a signature or will they leave it on my porch? Thankfully I am not worried about anyone stealing it from my porch so i hope they just drop it off for me.... heres my status

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e236/lbcsk8r303/Picture1-7.png

Benster
Feb 23, 2009, 12:24 PM
did it come in a at&t refurb box? or did it come in the original box ?

They came in an AT&T Box. Labeled "Certified Refurbished Equipment".

The 8GB has a label that says it was printed 10/22/2008 and the label says that it has a blemish (which I can't find.)

The 16GB has a label that says it was printed 02/11/2009. I can't find any issues with that phone either.

RTiii320
Feb 23, 2009, 02:11 PM

The 8GB has a label that says it was printed 10/22/2008 and the label says that it has a blemish (which I can't find.)

The 16GB has a label that says it was printed 02/11/2009. I can't find any issues with that phone either.

Glad to hear that your phones were in good condition, it is also reassuring that AT&T has offered a label saying whether it has any blemishes or not. Very cool of them, Congrats on the phones... I lost mine so since i just got home i have been anxiously awaiting for the UPS truck to get here!

pliskin
Feb 23, 2009, 02:52 PM

Agreed. My date is 12/1/08. The caseback had some sticker residue on it which at first looked to be scratches, but after a quick wipe the phone appears new. No dead pixels either.

Heinekev
Feb 23, 2009, 05:31 PM
So what is the correct process if you are upgrading from a first gen iPhone to a refurbed 3g? I just ran it through iTunes, updated it, and now it's saying awaiting activation.

Do I need to do anything with my old phone?

Benster
Feb 23, 2009, 06:45 PM
So what is the correct process if you are upgrading from a first gen iPhone to a refurbed 3g? I just ran it through iTunes, updated it, and now it's saying awaiting activation.

In the box, there was a sheet of paper with a phone number to call to activate the phone. As soon as I called that phone number and finished the process, my old phone stopped working. 5 minutes later I restarted the new phone and it worked fine. I then plugged it into the Mac to get the latest software (the 8 GB actually had 2.0.2 on it) and then synced all my files and stuff to it.

I did goof an restored my new 16 GB from the old backup of the 16GB 2G phone which caused me to lose 3G (I must have had Edge only software on the backup.) I reset the phone back to default software, did just s sync the second time and all was fine.

Noob error on my part there.

-Benster

EB66
Feb 23, 2009, 06:46 PM

I would imagine you would have to contact att someway or bring it to the store... don't have experience with this so i could be wrong though

EB66
Feb 23, 2009, 06:48 PM
In the box, there was a sheet of paper with a phone number to call to activate the phone. As soon as I called that phone and finished the process, my old phone stopped working. 5 minutes later I restarted the new phone and it work fine. I think plugged it into the Mac to get the latest software (the 8 GB actually had 2.0.2 on it) and then synced all my files and stuff to it.

I did goof an restored my new 16 GB from the old backup of the 16GB 2G phone which caused me to lose 3G (I must have had Edge only software on the backup.) I reset the phone back to default software, did just s sync the second time and all was fine.

Noob error on my part there.

-Benster

well i was a little bit right i guess

RTiii320
Feb 23, 2009, 06:59 PM
Just got my white one and indeed it looks very "fresh". No problems so far, ill post pics shortly if any are interested in what the at&t refurb box looks like

Rayfire
Feb 24, 2009, 01:44 AM
Just got my white one and indeed it looks very "fresh". No problems so far, ill post pics shortly if any are interested in what the at&t refurb box looks like

Glad to hear that, after that long journey towards West :p

RTiii320
Feb 24, 2009, 08:46 AM
Glad to hear that, after that long journey towards West :p

:( too good to be true, So the phone looks perfect, works perfect, except the bottom row of applications will not work. On any page of the apps. the bottom 4 applications will not open. I tried a full restore, anyone have any ideas? I am happy with the quality of it so i am hoping i will not have to try and get another.. If so would I still take it back to Apple as normal?

Here's a couple quick pics if anyones wonder what the box looks like..
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e236/lbcsk8r303/CIMG0712.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e236/lbcsk8r303/CIMG0714.jpg

Benster
Feb 24, 2009, 09:40 AM
:( too good to be true, So the phone looks perfect, works perfect, except the bottom row of applications will not work. On any page of the apps. the bottom 4 applications will not open.

That is very strange ... the "slide to unlock" over the same section of the screen works, but when there are buttons there it does not seem to work.

Unfortunately it looks like an issues that has been noted before:
http://www.intomobile.com/2007/08/10/analyst-apple-iphone-screen-problems-may-get-worse-the-dreaded-dead-strip.html/comment-page-5/#comments

Sorry to hear that you are having an issue. So far, 24 hours and 2 good phones here.

Maybe AT&T will honor that warranty.

-Benster

markthegreat
Feb 24, 2009, 09:52 AM
I have had bad experiences in the past with refurbhttp://www.pppcm.com/66l750.jpgished items lasting just long enough for the 30/60/90 day warranty to lapse. I would want the option to purchase an extended warranty.http://www.pppcm.com/66l748.jpghttp://www.pppcm.com/66l751.jpg

EB66
Feb 24, 2009, 01:16 PM
man i really wish i could have gotten the $99 deal then i wouldn't feel like i am carrying around a piece of jewelry everywhere i go

Skystar
Feb 24, 2009, 05:15 PM
I ordered a 8GB 3G for my brother, it came in yesterday. It was in perfect condition, no scratches (even on the chrome bezel), touchscreen is fine, no dead pixels. I turned it on, hooked it up to iTunes, and it activated on its own (new line).

BTW, it came with firmware 2.2 and modem firmare 02.28.00 for those of you curious.

Not a bad deal! :cool:

RTiii320
Feb 24, 2009, 09:45 PM
Had a great trip to Apple right now. If you've been following this thread you would know that I received one of these AT&T refurb'd iPhones. When I began using it I noticed that the bottom row did not work, after restores did not help today i decided to take it to the Apple store.

Now my girlfriend cracked her screen last week, though the phone still function it had a huge crack along the front of the screen. So I decided it wouldn't hurt to take her phone with me and see if there was anyway Apple felt nice enough to replace it for me.. The Genius I met with immediately switched out my phone with the dead spot but also switched out my girlfriends cracked phone as well.

Could not be happier right now! It shows how being polite can help, these guys didn't have to help me with my gf's cracked phone but were nice enough to do it..

So now I have an Apple Refurb instead of an AT&T Refurb... I don't know if it's better, but I feel better having got it from them!

RumorHasIt....
Feb 24, 2009, 10:43 PM
Currently, I have the 1st gen iphone. However, I would like to upgrade to one of the refurbished 3g models. My question is this, if a new one comes out in the summer and I have since upgraded to the 3g model, can I still get the new one at the upgrade price (2 upgrades in less than a year on discount)?

RTiii320
Feb 25, 2009, 09:34 AM
Currently, I have the 1st gen iphone. However, I would like to upgrade to one of the refurbished 3g models. My question is this, if a new one comes out in the summer and I have since upgraded to the 3g model, can I still get the new one at the upgrade price (2 upgrades in less than a year on discount)?

The AT&T sell of refurb's are actually sold out so you can't take advantage of this. However you would not be able to upgrade again if another iPhone does in fact come out this summer.. If you have a first gen I would suggest waiting till then to use your upgrade.. Hope that helps

Benster
Feb 25, 2009, 10:39 AM
http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phones/cell-phones.jsp?fearefurbished=refurbished&allTypes=on&feapaytype=standard&startFilter=false&manapple=apple

Unless I'm misreading this link, it looks like they have restocked on the refurbs. At least the "Out of Stock" image is not there on the 16GBs anymore.

-Benster

desiringGod
Feb 25, 2009, 12:04 PM
I order my wife one yesterday and it will be here tomorrow.

I can't renew mine until August, so I will have to keep using this stupid Palm Treo that my work bought me until then.

RTiii320
Feb 25, 2009, 12:52 PM
Glad to hear that they have restocked

RumorHasIt....
Feb 25, 2009, 05:24 PM
The AT&T sell of refurb's are actually sold out so you can't take advantage of this. However you would not be able to upgrade again if another iPhone does in fact come out this summer.. If you have a first gen I would suggest waiting till then to use your upgrade.. Hope that helps

Thanks for the info. Since the 2nd day they were offered (June 30, 2007), I have had the 1st gen. However, I am concerned about the battery and the volume. Both seem to be less than they used to be. But, if it makes it so that I can't get the new one this summer, with a discount, I will wait.

On second thought, are you sure? Many people who bought the 1st gen, were able to upgrade to the 3g version with the discount, regardless of when purchased? Also, many that bought the 3g version first plan on upgrading when it comes out. I can't see millions of current customers paying full price?

RTiii320
Feb 26, 2009, 11:46 AM
On second thought, are you sure? Many people who bought the 1st gen, were able to upgrade to the 3g version with the discount, regardless of when purchased? Also, many that bought the 3g version first plan on upgrading when it comes out. I can't see millions of current customers paying full price?

Well if you got the first gen when it came out then you will remember paying around $400-$500 which was the FULL price.. The 3g's are at a subsidized price, which is why they are $199 or $299.. The others that plan on getting the next version will have to pay full price.. A quick look in the iPhone forum and you will see a few threads about iPhone owners realizing they cannot get another ipone this summer(if it comes out then) at the same subsidized price. So yes, I am sure.:)

RumorHasIt....
Feb 26, 2009, 05:52 PM
Well if you got the first gen when it came out then you will remember paying around $400-$500 which was the FULL price.. The 3g's are at a subsidized price, which is why they are $199 or $299.. The others that plan on getting the next version will have to pay full price.. A quick look in the iPhone forum and you will see a few threads about iPhone owners realizing they cannot get another ipone this summer(if it comes out then) at the same subsidized price. So yes, I am sure.:)

You are correct. I did pay full price. My bad. Oh well, I'll just have to wait. Thanks for the reply.

kalda01
Feb 28, 2009, 02:38 AM

If they ship the phone to your house, does it come activated ?

kalda01
Feb 28, 2009, 03:04 AM
If they ship the phone to your house, does it come activated ?

If the refurbished phone has problems, will an Apple store replace the it or only AT&T ?

infamous
Mar 1, 2009, 03:20 PM
My girlfriend and her brother got the refurbished ones online. We then went to the att store to find out that they're only covered for 90days and she told us apple wouldn't help if anything went wrong. an hour or so later we found out my friend had a reward zone so we went to get a new one from bestbuy for the discounted price and she tried to cancel the order but was told "its already in transit" so the only thing they suggested was refuse delivery but her brother is going to get one of the refurbished ones because bestbuy only let us get 1 for the discounted price. I think I'm just going to unlock the one she was suppose to get then ebay it, instead of sending it back.

RobertD63
Mar 1, 2009, 10:16 PM
Okay guys im still a little confused. I just ordered one on the referbs. Now my question is whats it going cost to me to UPGRADE my phone? Am i going to be paying this "ETF"? I dont mind the activation but if there is ETF I will send it right back to them.

Rayfire
Mar 2, 2009, 12:44 AM
Okay guys im still a little confused. I just ordered one on the referbs. Now my question is whats it going cost to me to UPGRADE my phone? Am i going to be paying this "ETF"? I dont mind the activation but if there is ETF I will send it right back to them.

Hmm, I'm a little confused, you ordered the refurb iPhone 3G with AT&T then you're asking what's the cost of it to get "upgraded" --> upgrade to what? If you're asking with the new iPhone released in a couple of months, we don't know as there are no official announcements yet. You will probably extend your contract if you're gonna get that soon to be released iPhone.

RobertD63
Mar 2, 2009, 04:48 AM
Sorry Im talking about an upgrade from my crappy LG flip phone.

Rayfire
Mar 2, 2009, 12:31 PM
Sorry Im talking about an upgrade from my crappy LG flip phone.

The Early Termination Fee only applies when you're gonna cancel your service with AT&T within your contract period. You won't be paying any ETF if you just bought the iPhone, unless you want to leave AT&T within that period of 2 years as said in the contract.

MK25toLife
Mar 2, 2009, 01:38 PM
I was interested in purchasing one as a hold over until the new iPhones got released but I realized that once a new iPhone gets released I will not be able to purchase it at the discounted rate b/c I will have already been locked into a plan. AT&T said you are locked into a plan for 21 of the 24 months until you can change phones and get a discount.

Can someone confirm this?

iPhoneNYC
Mar 5, 2009, 03:06 PM
So I'm assuming this is the same deal as last time where this offer is only available to new customers and not to existing customers looking to upgrade and renew their contract?

Yes, the website says: "*2 yr contract-New service price
Limit one device per household."

pkagel
Mar 7, 2009, 09:48 AM
Maybe but my GF got one from them for 99$ and she's been with AT&T for years.

Yes, the website says: "*2 yr contract-New service price
Limit one device per household."

RobertD63
Mar 7, 2009, 10:03 AM
Well guys I'm happy I got my phone and it's flawless

saturnino3
Mar 7, 2009, 10:51 AM
Got mine (16GB White) last week and it was flawless!

When I entered the serial # in Apple's warranty support site, it tells me the warranty is good until October 2010(!). :cool:

tavoss
Mar 7, 2009, 07:30 PM
8gigs are now sold out, which makes me mad, because I was about to buy one today!!

jdstoddard
Mar 11, 2009, 09:15 AM
Just ordered a 16gb black yesterday to replace my soon to be ebayed God awful BB Storm.

diemos
Mar 11, 2009, 10:27 AM
Who actually refurbishes these phones? I heard that Apple never actually refurbishes them, but just give you a new one, so how does this work? Are these just USED phones?

IgnatiusTheKing
Mar 11, 2009, 12:45 PM
Who actually refurbishes these phones? I heard that Apple never actually refurbishes them, but just give you a new one, so how does this work? Are these just USED phones?

They don't give you a new one if you have a problem and take it to the Apple Store. They give you a refurbished one in a plain white box. They look and act like new, but they are not "new" nor are they "used" since they've gone to a factory where they get a complete overhaul and QA testing.

juswest
Mar 13, 2009, 04:31 AM
Bought a refurb a week or so ago .Been happy with itever since.Had one minor issue and apple gladly helped .You can still purchase Applecare, so it's a good dealfor 100 bucks.

jdstoddard
Mar 14, 2009, 06:48 AM
Got my phone yesterday in an AT&T box. Actually came with an extra set of headphones (nice!!!).

My issue is with the home button however. Sometimes it seems unresponsive. I posted this in another thread where others were having the same issue, but no one can pin it down as to whether or not its hardware or software that causes it. :confused:

Thinking about taking it to the Apple store to see what they say.

OneMike
Mar 14, 2009, 07:21 AM
Got my phone yesterday in an AT&T box. Actually came with an extra set of headphones (nice!!!).

My issue is with the home button however. Sometimes it seems unresponsive. I posted this in another thread where others were having the same issue, but no one can pin it down as to whether or not its hardware or software that causes it. :confused:

Thinking about taking it to the Apple store to see what they say.

Whether hardware or software I do have that same problem at times on my first gen

David the Gnome
Mar 14, 2009, 08:46 PM
Just to clarify a few things in this thread; the phones AT&T sells as "refurbished" are just pre-owned phones that were returned to AT&T. They may have been returned because they were faulty or because the owner just didn't like it. If you buy one you get whatever is left of the previous owner's 1-year warranty (365 days from the day it was activated and the timer keeps running even when AT&T gets the phone back). They are still eligible for the regular AppleCare service, and you can add the AppleCare Protection Plan anytime before the 1-year hardware warranty expires.

The refurbishment process that Apple uses for its phones is different from their computers and other products. When Apple takes a phone back on warranty it is disassembled into parts and any faulty parts which fail inspection are scrapped and recycled. The remaining quality parts are separated into bins and used to build new re-serialized iPhones. These rebuilt phones are then thoroughly tested and inspected before being certified as refurbished.

I have known people to get "refurbished" (or pre-owned as Apple calls them) iPhones from AT&T and have them come out of the box needing a restore or hardware repair. This is not a huge issue since Apple will still stand behind those products and warranty them the same as any other iPhone. If you get a faulty "refurbished" iPhone from AT&T Apple will replace it the same as they would a brand new phone. It is something potential customers need to be aware of, however.

weberda
Mar 17, 2009, 11:37 AM
Just to clarify a few things in this thread; the phones AT&T sells as "refurbished" are just pre-owned phones that were returned to AT&T. They may have been returned because they were faulty or because the owner just didn't like it. If you buy one you get whatever is left of the previous owner's 1-year warranty (365 days from the day it was activated and the timer keeps running even when AT&T gets the phone back). They are still eligible for the regular AppleCare service, and you can add the AppleCare Protection Plan anytime before the 1-year hardware warranty expires.

The refurbishment process that Apple uses for its phones is different from their computers and other products. When Apple takes a phone back on warranty it is disassembled into parts and any faulty parts which fail inspection are scrapped and recycled. The remaining quality parts are separated into bins and used to build new re-serialized iPhones. These rebuilt phones are then thoroughly tested and inspected before being certified as refurbished.

I have known people to get "refurbished" (or pre-owned as Apple calls them) iPhones from AT&T and have them come out of the box needing a restore or hardware repair. This is not a huge issue since Apple will still stand behind those products and warranty them the same as any other iPhone. If you get a faulty "refurbished" iPhone from AT&T Apple will replace it the same as they would a brand new phone. It is something potential customers need to be aware of, however.

I purchased an 8gig phone through my corporate account the week before last. The phone took 6 business days to arrive, but seemed to be in good condition. I was replacing my Blackberry 8820.

After a few days the ringer stopped working. The headphone jack was jammed and the phone thought that headphones were plugged in.

I went to the local Apple Store and explained the problem. They explained the warranty details just as the last poster describes. They replaced the phone with an Apple refurb and now i am happy. Great customer support from Apple. My bosses Blackberry lost a key on the keyboard after a few months and RIM wouldn't cover it. They wanted $200 to fix it. He ended up getting a Bold instead. I wish that more companies would learn how to handle customers like Apple does. The world would be a much happier place!!

Devyn
Mar 17, 2009, 01:07 PM
Wuh... Buh... I DIDN'T know!

abercrombie
Mar 21, 2009, 02:16 PM
i've had my iPod Touch for 3.5 months and it's like having a powerful computer at my disposal anywhere i go. i didn't want to pay monthy carrier fees, thus the Touch but over these months, i've realized that i must have live internet everywhere i go, not just in wifi hot spots. i bit the bullet on 3/19 and ordered the 16GB refurbished iPhone online for $199. i'm crossing my fingers i don't get a defective refurb. :apple:

Benster
Mar 27, 2009, 04:04 PM
After about 40 days of getting 2 3G Refurbs, the 8GB is working just fine. No issues. The 16GB developed a "stuck pixel" on Wednesday. I tried to reset it using the "flashing app" but that did not work.

Took it my local Apple store (note: make an appointment on-line and reserve a time. I would have had to wait 1-2 hours as a walk-in) and they swapped it out no questions asked.

It was interesting that the warranty date they had on file must have been the original sale date of the phone (9/08/2008) so I was still in my 1 year. If you bought an AT&T refurb, I'd suggest getting an Apple Care warranty sooner rather than later.

Just FYI. The Apple replacement phone is working just fine!

-Benster

abercrombie
Mar 28, 2009, 12:24 PM
i've had my iPod Touch for 3.5 months and it's like having a powerful computer at my disposal anywhere i go. i didn't want to pay monthy carrier fees, thus the Touch but over these months, i've realized that i must have live internet everywhere i go, not just in wifi hot spots. i bit the bullet on 3/19 and ordered the 16GB refurbished iPhone online for $199. i'm crossing my fingers i don't get a defective refurb. :apple:

just wanted to add my refurb was shipped 3/23 and i received my phone Wed 3/25. the phone came pre-activated so no pre-activation process necessary. the condition was perfect with no physical defects or hairline scratches. no stuck pixels on the screen. i jailbroke it that same night, the OS seems stable and i can surf using it as a wireless modem (PDAnet). i'm happy with the device.

TQ305
Mar 31, 2009, 05:37 PM
hmm i may get a refurb instead.
do you think i could get a refurb, and cancel within 3 days because of bad service then keep the phone? at&t doesnt get the greatest reception where im at anyway.

churchrd
Apr 1, 2009, 11:49 PM
WOOOHOOOOO!

My 8gig refurb arrived today in pristine condition.

I'm like a kid in a candy store tonight.

It only took me a year to convince my wife to let me get one:) Now she wants one too!!

iPhoneNYC
Apr 9, 2009, 04:47 AM
The 3G iPhone is approaching the end of it's cycle. I wouldn't advise getting caught up in a new contract to buy one.

ataboc
Apr 18, 2009, 01:52 PM
The 3G iPhone is approaching the end of it's cycle. I wouldn't advise getting caught up in a new contract to buy one.

what would the upgraded phone be??

i think they'll run the current phone for quite some time.

chaostrick
Apr 20, 2009, 03:12 PM
I was thinking about waiting until this summer to get the next one, but now that the 16gb is only $150, I went ahead and got it.
On the flip side, it appears that ATT is really trying to get rid of back stock. (for the upcoming release of the new iphone??)

ataboc
Apr 24, 2009, 02:39 AM
I was thinking about waiting until this summer to get the next one, but now that the 16gb is only $150, I went ahead and got it.
On the flip side, it appears that ATT is really trying to get rid of back stock. (for the upcoming release of the new iphone??)

i hope so. i'm waiting

gkarris
Apr 24, 2009, 01:23 PM
Well, people wanted the "Under $100 iPhone"....

It'll be as elusive as the "Under $500 Mac" (the Mini, refurbished or close-out).

I think Apple leaves space below its product line to move refurbished and out-of -date equipment at better prices.

Fine with me (I buy refurbished Apple stuff all the time). Apple equipment lasts a lot longer and doesn't get outdated as quickly anyways... :)

(My friend's still using a blue G3 tower he got 5 years ago for $200... :eek:)