Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
sorry to bother but from the time you ordered how long did it take to arrive? and is there anyway to do an overnight shipping?

thanks a lot

Before it took 3 days. Right now, just by looking at AT&T's check out page, it says 2 day priority shipping is free. Never saw any overnight shipping.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
AT&T Again Selling $99 Refurbished iPhone 3G

AT&T is again offering refurbished iPhone 3Gs at $99 for the 8 GB model and $199 for the 16 GB models, a $100 discount from the non-refurbished price and a $50 discount from their standard refurbished price. All sales require a two-year contract.

According to AT&T's site, refurbished iPhones may come with minor cosmetic issues.
Refurbished phones are previously owned devices that have been unused or lightly used and returned during the 30-day trial period. Each refurbished phone is independently quality tested and loaded with the latest software to meet current factory standards. Some refurbished iPhone 3G devices will have minor scratches.
AT&T briefly offered refurbished 8 GB iPhone 3Gs for $99 in late December.

Article Link: AT&T Again Selling $99 Refurbished iPhone 3G

RTiii320

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Before it took 3 days. Right now, just by looking at AT&T's check out page, it says 2 day priority shipping is free. Never saw any overnight shipping.

alright so i ordered a 16gb white for $199, how did yours look? did it look like a new one as the Apple refurb's often are? Also does it comes with any accessories? I already have the charger from my old one but I wouldn't mind a fresh set of headphones.

Hopefully by friday with the 2 day shipping:rolleyes:

jasonforisrael

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2008
Also is there a way to pay for the phone with a seperate billing address than what is listed to pay the monthly bill? I'm on a family plan with my mother and brother but I want to pay for the iPhone refurb myself with my debit card.

EDIT: Also can anyone speak for sure as to whether these are tested by Apple or AT&T? I honestly don't think I want to risk getting one if it is tested by AT&T. I'm still an original iPhone user looking to possibly upgrade.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
alright so i ordered a 16gb white for $199, how did yours look? did it look like a new one as the Apple refurb's often are? Also does it comes with any accessories? I already have the charger from my old one but I wouldn't mind a fresh set of headphones.

Hopefully by friday with the 2 day shipping:rolleyes:

My refurb looked fine, and there were no scratches present :D I guess the previous owner didn't really bother to use it often.

I think Apple does the testing on the refurbs, not AT&T. Haven't seen a single bit of a problem on the refurb.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
My refurb looked fine, and there were no scratches present :D I guess the previous owner didn't really bother to use it often.

I think Apple does the testing on the refurbs, not AT&T. Haven't seen a single bit of a problem on the refurb.
Just to clear up any confusion. They AT&T refurbished and the Best Buy refurbished iPhone 3Gs have not been throught the Apple refurbishement process.

Dave

icecold0913

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2008
NOLA
Just double checked in case anyone was wondering (like me) if you can upgrade to a refurb as an existing AT&T customer, and according to the website you can if your previous contract is up. Last time they offered refurbs it was only for new customers signing a new contract, and existing customers didn't even have the option of purchasing a refurb.

So, this is pretty awesome if you're already with AT&T, upgrade eligible, and haven't gotten an iPhone yet because of the price.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
I don't know the details.....but I am seriously considering this......I have been torn on whether to wait and see what is coming in June. what would yall do?

I am going month to month on alltel now.

As both a gen 1 iPhone user and now a 3G user - I'd wait.
Chill on your mo. to mo. and wait for the next revision.
I think you'll be kicking yourself if you give in now.
Seriously, what's a few more months in the bigger picture?

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Refurbished Phones and Devices
Refurbished phones are previously owned devices that have been unused or lightly used and returned during the 30-day trial period. Each refurbished phone is independently quality tested and loaded with the latest software to meet current factory standards. Some refurbished iPhone 3G devices will have minor scratches.

re·fur·bish (r-fûrbsh)
tr.v. re·fur·bished, re·fur·bish·ing, re·fur·bish·es
To make clean, bright, or fresh again; renovate.

If it has scratches, how is this making it "fresh again"? Simply updating the software and wiping off the device would be akin to buying a used car that had it's engine checked but left scratches all over the doors. What gives?

RTiii320

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I think it says "light" scratches if any... Also if they were to put a new screen and back casing on to eliminate the "scratches" then wouldn't that make it more of a "new" product?

Also like another poster mentioned, will I be allowed to buy Apple Care for this?

Benster

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2009
Huntersville, NC
In for 2

I just ordered an 8GB for my wife and upgrading my 16GB 2G for a 16GB 3G. Will post back feedback in a few days on how they look cosmetic-wise and if there were any issues.

-Benster

Heinekev

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2007
Just ordered an 8gb refurb to upgrade my first gen EDGE iPhone. It served me well. Upgrade process was really easy.

Here's hoping it's good cosmetically! Wish I saw where I could do next day shipping. I did the free fedex 2day, damned!

vivithemage

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
hrmmm, I am a new customer, wonder if I should hop on this...70$ a month is a lot, but I will just pay the ETF of 175 and get out and use my TMobile plan. Do the applecare warranties work for these?

or would it be best to wait until they release new phones?

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
hrmmm, I am a new customer, wonder if I should hop on this...70$ a month is a lot, but I will just pay the ETF of 175 and get out and use my TMobile plan. Do the applecare warranties work for these?

or would it be best to wait until they release new phones?

Not as a new customer I wouldn't. These iPhones will come with 2.2.1 firmware, which you cannot unlock and use on T-Mobile...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.