Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
I just thought I'd post my thoughts on the progress Apple is making in the everyday computer world.

I just went to CompUSA today where I live to look for a job, and being that I worked at a different one before it's kind of a backup. I went back to the Apple section like I usually do to spend a few minutes of utter agony/bliss all by myself. Except this time it was different...

I wasn't by myself.

There were more people in the tiny little corner alotted to Macs than in any other section of the store. These were everyday people coming to look at what Apple has to offer. The Apple rep there was being quite helpful to his potential customers but not pestering them. It was amazing to see these people, quite obviously not Mac users, basically drooling over the computers' total package (looks, power, OS, etc).

This is Steve Jobs' vision I truly believe and I cannot wait to see where Apple is in the hearts and minds of Middle-America (current target audience) in 1-2 years time.

Its a great time to be a Mac user.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Wow. That is really cool. I am really hoping that this campaign works...

I wonder whether Apple Japan will make a Japanese version of these commercials... if they would it will be a translated version, not a whole new one with Japanese people talking...

irmongoose

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by irmongoose
I wonder whether Apple Japan will make a Japanese version of these commercials... if they would it will be a translated version, not a whole new one with Japanese people talking...

That would be excellent. But translated? You really think so? That doesn't sound too good to me. I'm sure Apple wouldn't have any trouble finding Japanese consumers that switched to Macintosh. The whole idea of having them translate the U.S. ads seems a little insincere and ineffective. I'd think the Japanese would be more responsive hearing from their own people. But then again, that's just my opinion. I have very little knowledge of such things! :p

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
go Apple!...does anyone have specific numbers for Apple's market share in Australia and Japan? and how do u feel irmongoose...Japan lost to Turkey..

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Originally posted by Hemingray

The whole idea of having them translate the U.S. ads seems a little insincere and ineffective.

It's been done regularly in spain, france and germany (that i know of), so why not in japan as well? Bit of a shame though, to stoop that low. It's not like those ads are expensive to create ;)

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I havn't seen the adds on British T.V yet, but then Apple never have marketed very heavily over here :(
Does anyone know if they're going to be playing the new adds in the UK?

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Dou you know...

People still thinking the new iMac is just a monitor not an entire computer.

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Originally posted by mymemory
Dou you know...

$1399 for a 15" LCD? No wonder some people think apple is expensive :p

People like that are just idiots thought. Would you spend $1k+, without first looking at alternatives, and finding out what you were buying?

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Originally posted by mymemory
Dou you know...

Ick! No way! I guess that shows how little Apple concentrates on some other countries... its a shame...

Oh as for the Switch ads... Apple Japan has NEVER, and I say NEVER done its own commercial. All the ads have been Japanese translations... but you see, almost all of the recent Apple ads have had no or very few words, so it works out well. But, as for the Switch ads, the talking is the main part, so I even doubt whether they will make a Switch ad or not. I have seen no sign of it anywhere on the Apple page (ie the iCards tab is still there).

Re mmmdreg: The World cup? All I can say is that I am not happy, but I think Japan did well. Oh, and why don't you look in the World Cup thread?

irmongoose

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by verbose101
I havn't seen the adds on British T.V yet, but then Apple never have marketed very heavily over here :(
Does anyone know if they're going to be playing the new adds in the UK?

That's true........ but we've had the iBook, iMac, iMac G4, iTunes on TV but that's really it, and they're normally not on primetime....... Ch4 has them on alot......

Thing is in London.... Macs really seem to be ubiquitous... go into cafe bar and you'll likely see someone with a mac.... walk around Soho, Noho, Shoreditch and the streets can be littered with Mac boxes waiting to be put in the dustbin trucks every morning...... (because of the densily populated design and post companies) so in London getting or viewing a mac isn't that hard... unlike the rest of the cities around the UK)

Whenever I travel up the West Coast mainline on Virgin Trains..... to visit family..... there're normally more than a few mac users in 1st class....... infact only the other week I was talking to some 40+ year old suits discussing the merits etc of my TiBook.......

They do have quite a few adverts in the broadsheets at weekends though which is a good move...... but they really do need a Applestore in London..... something alittle better than what we have on New Oxford Street and Tottenham Court Road..... although Micro Anvika do have a solid display of Mac goodies... and the staff are okay...... but it would certainly be nice to see more mac adverts on british TV......

Looking is one thing, buying is another. Lets hope some of those people were convinced to buy macs. I remember when I went to CompUSA to get my iMac and yes someone had just got a dual 800 with 17in flat panel display. It feels good not to be alone. When I can drive I want to work their so I can set people straight! Keep us updated on if you see people buying macs!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.