PDA

View Full Version : What do you think apple should put in the next macbook?

ScyferDown
Feb 19, 2009, 12:18 PM
so the aluminum macbook just came out and it kicks serious @$$. it runs final cut pro 6 just fine and motion 3 works too. but what about the next macbook? heres what i think should be put in.

2.33GHz intel quad core

6gb DDR3 RAM

Nvidia geforce 9600GT

USB 3.0 and firewire 3200

even if :apple: did make a macbook with these specs im guessing it would cost around $2,700. what do you think should be put in?

Tallest Skil
Feb 19, 2009, 12:20 PM
FireWire is dead.

USB 3 won't be in anything until 2010.

Do you know that this is a new clock speed for the next bump, or are you guessing?

It won't get 6GB standard, obviously, and you can do that now.

I can't comment on the GPU because I don't know (care :p) about nVidia's next mobile chipset's integrated GPU.

PracticalMac
Feb 19, 2009, 12:58 PM
If you cannot get USB 3, then you have to have FireWire (and FW not quite dead yet).

FW 1600 and FW 3200 still not out yet. :(

Price drop too. $1099 for low end Al-book

acfusion29
Feb 19, 2009, 01:09 PM
Oh god, another one...

skorpien
Feb 19, 2009, 01:14 PM
Oh god, another one...

My thoughts exactly.

These forums are littered with useless speculation threads such as this. If you want to make a wishlist, please do so on your own blog. Otherwise use the search function and post in a thread that already exists.

clyde2801
Feb 19, 2009, 01:38 PM
Ummm....a good screen <ducks>?:D

HyperSnake
Feb 19, 2009, 01:47 PM

+1

alphaod
Feb 19, 2009, 01:47 PM

Sweet dreams…? :p

JamesGorman
Feb 19, 2009, 04:09 PM
honestly i think there pretty good right now. In my opinion the only thing would be the new 32nm intel chips, stupid me, i forgot the name of them lol, and maybe the higher end model could come with a 320gb HDD. Besdies that im not to sure what else. It dosent really matter to me anyway because i just bought my macbook and i most likely wont buy another one for 2-3 years.

lazydesi
Feb 19, 2009, 04:46 PM
only new 32nm processor, may be they will provide SSD and good screen as default for topend model

butterfly0fdoom
Feb 19, 2009, 05:01 PM
You said:

2.33GHz intel quad core

6gb DDR3 RAM

Nvidia geforce 9600GT

I say:
Not happening.

No way.

Are you kidding me?

Seriously?

jav6454
Feb 19, 2009, 05:08 PM
so the aluminum macbook just came out and it kicks serious @$$. it runs final cut pro 6 just fine and motion 3 works too. but what about the next macbook? heres what i think should be put in.

2.33GHz intel quad core

6gb DDR3 RAM

Nvidia geforce 9600GT

even if :apple: did make a macbook with these specs im guessing it would cost around $2,700. what do you think should be put in?

Not quite... Quad cores are too power consumers to say the least. For a MacBook I think the next CPU would be the P9500 2.53 GHz 6MB (or P8700 3MB L2) L2 cache the current MBPs have, they will have the pesky 4GB Ram cap is still (Apple will wait till Nehalem to add more than 4GB to MBs I beleive). and USB 2.0 will still be standard and Firewire will still be missed.

Edit - I corrected the part number of the 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo. Its actually a P9500 not a P9400 as I had before.

aluminumapple
Feb 19, 2009, 05:10 PM
lol unreasonable specs for a unreasonable sized macbook.

steve31
Feb 19, 2009, 05:37 PM
BlueRay Please...:)

JamesGorman
Feb 19, 2009, 05:47 PM
the 2.4ghz macbook already has the P8700

jav6454
Feb 19, 2009, 09:14 PM
the 2.4ghz macbook already has the P8700

Nop. P8600

JamesGorman
Feb 20, 2009, 11:35 PM
my bad..your right about the p8600, its the same one the base model MBP uses.

TuffLuffJimmy
Feb 20, 2009, 11:40 PM
FireWire is dead.

:p That made me giggle.

children
Feb 21, 2009, 09:51 AM
I would like them to rid the macbook air, then make the macbook slimmer (a thickness between current and air).

and standard cpu at 2.4ghz and a 2.66ghz option.

current one is fine..

cheesymogul
Feb 21, 2009, 11:24 AM
FW800 and a better display or they can keep their crapbook!

dmmcintyre3
Feb 21, 2009, 06:22 PM
Firewire 800 and 17 inch MacBook Pro battery technology (but still user replaceable) and aluminum macbook for $999 so I do not have to get the white one. Also Snow Leopard! I will probably wait for snow leopard before upgrading my PowerBook anyway. 8 GB ram support like the 17 inch also

mathcolo
Feb 21, 2009, 06:33 PM
I really wish Apple would put an ExpressCard slot in a MacBook. Despite the fact that mostly pro users would use this feature, those who knew what it was would be greatly benefitted.

I'd use it all the time. :)

tubbymac
Feb 21, 2009, 06:39 PM
A better screen and voice + typing detection software that reroutes all available power to send a nasty shock to the owner whenever the words firewire or bluray are detected.

Benguitar
Feb 21, 2009, 07:41 PM
FireWire, Pisses me off that they took it away from the MacBooks

I am not a huge fan of FW but my $500.00 Apogee interface runs off of FireWire and FireWire transfers data faster (better) than USB, in my opinion.

USB is thinner and sleeker but I just hope Apple does better than this "MacBook Wheel" :rolleyes:

Patriks7
Feb 21, 2009, 10:38 PM

2.33GHz intel quad core

6gb DDR3 RAM

Nvidia geforce 9600GT

The specs you listed are more like for a 17" MBP.

arthursiew
Feb 21, 2009, 10:51 PM
I doubt they will upgrade the MacBook that much. If they added Firewire and a dedicated graphics chip... they will have to redesign their motherboard which may result in a change in the chassis. They will probably change their processor to an Intel Core 2 Duo. I doubt it will be Quad Core as they will probably have a Quad Core processor as an optional upgrade on the Pro.

I would like to see backlit keyboards as a standard feature though. USB 3 won't be out until 2010 and the 6GB RAM thing seems a little off. It's probably going to stay as 2GB because the previous MBs were 1GB. They will keep it as 2GB plus Snow Leopard is coming out which isn't very heavy on specs.

marbles
Feb 21, 2009, 10:54 PM
FW and a matte screen option

acurafan
Feb 21, 2009, 11:11 PM
get rid of the 5.4k hdd line-up.
include either displayport-to-<xxx> converter FREE.
include the remote controller FREE.

extra: include option for higher-res screen.

Chase R
Feb 22, 2009, 12:59 AM
Well, here we go again...

marbles
Feb 22, 2009, 05:41 AM
Well, here we go again...

I know, I know

I at least hope someone with power @ Apple reads these boards( and others) from time to time and realizes what the heck they have actually done.

Sometimes, I think that when company's like Apple, which started small and close knit get bigger and bigger and lose touch with the loyal customers.

Happens a lot they think they have the magic formula ( and they have had for a while) and get over confidant , see black MB for extra$$ just for colour also bizzare product lines with massive gaps and desktops not updated for years, odd decisions with the included hardware for the upsell see firewire removal, no matte options etc etc , these to me are signs of them losing touch.

I think Apple are a remarkable company with some great products at best and bizzare at times making crazy decisions IMHO.

It's just it always feels to me like there is 'something missing from the companys line up somehow.

FW & matte for the win
:cool::apple: :D

Schtumple
Feb 22, 2009, 06:04 AM
FW and a matte screen option

/thread.

clyde2801
Feb 22, 2009, 06:45 AM
Sweet dreams…? :p

Yeah, I know....:(

ThomasJL
Feb 23, 2009, 04:11 AM
• Dedicated graphics. Not integrated or "discreet" graphics.

• FireWire 800

• Matte screen option

• Non-aluminum case. When literally every PC user -- even those with dirt cheap laptops -- in a room gets much better WiFi reception than an aluminum MacBook user, something needs to be changed.

dubhe
Feb 23, 2009, 04:26 AM
So basically everyone wants the MacBook to be like the MacBook Pro, presumably at a lower price. Yea, that's going to happen.

Why the desire for better graphics? I would have thought the current set up is more than enough for your average consumer, who the MacBook is aimed at.

My Air is more than fast enough for my needs so the MacBook must be fine.

EB66
Feb 23, 2009, 10:52 PM
a faster way to transfer data (aka new firewire or usb 3.0)

whatever it is i don't care but usb just doesn't cut it

michael.lauden
Feb 23, 2009, 11:00 PM
the biggest improvement they could ever put inside a macbook - to me would be...

a socketed processor.

if Apple can make the Macbook Air, they can socket the processor in a Macbook Unibody!

also the new Macbook Pro 17" battery style upgrade would be nice :)

ps - i like the glass, glossy screen - i don't think they should build up excitement for a new macbook, just for the antiglare option

m1stake
Feb 23, 2009, 11:09 PM
the biggest improvement they could ever put inside a macbook - to me would be...

a socketed processor.

Socket P isn't a socket? Lol@you. Both have chips that are soldered in, if that's what you mean.

michael.lauden
Feb 24, 2009, 12:16 AM
Socket P isn't a socket? Lol@you. Both have chips that are soldered in, if that's what you mean.

from my understanding - all processors in the current line of macbooks, and macbook pros are soldered in. therefor leaving no room to upgrade in the future.

i.e my mac mini has a socketed processor - so i can upgrade from my 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo to a 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo mobile chip when the prices go down!

however in my macbook - i can't drop in a processor, ever, unless i have access to very sophisticated machines that can de-solder a processor, and not damage the logic board.

skaertus
Feb 24, 2009, 01:23 AM
The top MacBook sells for US$ 1,599.00. At that price point, I expect to see a larger hard drive and a dedicated graphics card. Perhaps a better processor also. I know the aluminium looks good, but is the MacBook worth so much?

MacBook Pros could come with some great features to differentiate themselves such as an even better video card. C'mon, the MacBook Pro 17" sells for US$ 2,799.00, and it doesn't come with a Intel Core 2 Extreme nor a 9800-series GeForce, nor a Blu-ray drive. Apple could put a better hardware on these products.

ceezy3000
Feb 24, 2009, 01:35 AM
the 1599 macbook needs 4gb ram 320 gb hdd just like pc maufacturers, it also needs better wifi(alumnum)

NewMacbookPlz
Feb 24, 2009, 01:39 AM
the 1599 macbook needs 4gb ram 320 gb hdd just like pc maufacturers, it also needs better wifi(alumnum)

Definitely. If that were the case, I would have gone with the 2.4 in a heartbeat. Macs lag behind PC counterparts in HD space big time. (yes yes, usually its free "promo" upgrades with Dell/HP/etc, but still....)

dmmcintyre3
Feb 26, 2009, 04:56 PM
Defiantly want Snow Leopard standard on my MacBook.

Chase R
Feb 26, 2009, 05:16 PM
Defiantly want Snow Leopard standard on my MacBook.

Umm... Once Snow Leopard is out, it will be the standard on all new Macs. If you bought your MacBook before the OS update, then your outa luck lol... gonna have to buy it.

I'm guessing they will be released at or around the same time.

CarlisleUnited
Feb 26, 2009, 07:26 PM
Maybe introduce a black aluminium MacBook, would look incredible! Maybe a few more USB ports. A blu-ray option would be nice too, I know the screen wouldn't be able to match the resolution but it would save the hassle of either getting a digital copy from shady area's or buying the DVD version aswell

Hakkera
Feb 26, 2009, 08:58 PM
Haven't seen anything like this thread before....

Still, people are being woefully unrealistic. Dedicated graphics life? A higher res screen? More processing power than God? No. It won't happen, you're all dreaming. Imagine the battery life.

Apple make MBs on pure compromise. The next MB will have a slightly faster processor, slightly faster RAM. I wouldn't be suprised if:-

Intel Core 2 2.2GHZ
2GB 800MHZ
Nvidia 9600M

for the Polycarbonate model, probably something a little tastier for the unibody.

Chase R
Feb 26, 2009, 11:35 PM
Haven't seen anything like this thread before....

Still, people are being woefully unrealistic. Dedicated graphics life? A higher res screen? More processing power than God? No. It won't happen, you're all dreaming. Imagine the battery life.

Exactly... couldn't have said it any better.

Everyone here wants the next MacBook to be like the MacBook Pro in terms of specs.

The MacBook is the LOW/BOTTOM of the line for Apples notebook line.

I doubt the Aluminum MB will see much in the way of upgrades this year, maybe a slightly higher clock speed and maybe a tad bigger HDD... that's it.

Y'all are such wishful thinkers...