PDA

View Full Version : FireWire MacBook is #1 , rumor new Unibody MB with FW

PracticalMac
Feb 21, 2009, 09:56 AM
According to Amazon top selling notebooks (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/pc/ref=pd_ts_pc_bcrm_pc), the white FW equipped MB is just above the Unibody MB (uMB) as Apples best selling laptop (#13 and #14 respectively, MBP is #21).

Of course the price is a major reason for the better sales, but it is easy to find dozens of posts by customer's who wanted to buy a new MB with FW, but because the new uMB did not have FW they had to choose something else, likely a FW-MB or PC notebook (which almost all but lowest end have FW).

In fact, the FW-MB is Apples #1 selling Mac, and is also on track to be the best selling single item FireWire equipped device (because it is the only consumer level OS X notebook, even though there is millions of FW devices sold every year).

Apple recently responded in a terse statement they will be "making more FireWire products", and images of the new MacMini seem to support it.

Word is Apple is scrambling to redesign the uMB with FireWire (presumably FW800) as quickly as possible. It may be offered as a high end MB.

One should ask why Apple would do a performance bump to the old white FW-MB to near the uMB speed, when it is being sold as a end of line low cost product. The performance of speed bumped FW-MB is close to uMB, and it does not make sense when a company wants to shift sales to a new model.

Tallest Skil
Feb 21, 2009, 10:03 AM
Apple recently responded in a terse statement they will be "making more FireWire products", and images of the new MacMini seem to support it.

Link?

Word is Apple is scrambling to redesign the uMB with FireWire (presumably FW800) as quickly as possible. It may be offered as a high end MB.

Proof?

OllyW
Feb 21, 2009, 10:08 AM
Link?

Proof?

Hilarious :D

iMacmatician
Feb 21, 2009, 10:21 AM
Link?

Proof?Seconded.

Apple recently responded in a terse statement they will be "making more FireWire products", and images of the new MacMini seem to support it. The Mac mini already has Firewire.

Tallest Skil
Feb 21, 2009, 10:23 AM
The Mac mini already has Firewire.

I think he means in the context of them having taken it away from the MacBook.

And OP... do you know WHY the white MacBook sells better than the aluminum ones?

BECAUSE IT STILL EXISTS. Because it is CHEAPER than the aluminum one. It really has NOTHING to do with FireWire.

I guess links to these people clamoring for FireWire are needed, too.

rdowns
Feb 21, 2009, 10:23 AM
According to Amazon top selling notebooks (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/pc/ref=pd_ts_pc_bcrm_pc), the white FW equipped MB is just above the Unibody MB (uMB) as Apples best selling laptop (#13 and #14 respectively, MBP is #21).

You are aware that Amazon is but one reseller of Apple laptops. Yes?

Of course the price is a major reason for the better sales, but it is easy to find dozens of posts by customer's who wanted to buy a new MB with FW, but because the new uMB did not have FW they had to choose something else, likely a FW-MB or PC notebook (which almost all but lowest end have FW).

Of course, Internet posts are completely representative of all users. Yes?

In fact, the FW-MB is Apples #1 selling Mac, and is also on track to be the best selling single item FireWire equipped device (because it is the only consumer level OS X notebook, even though there is millions of FW devices sold every year).

I'd say it's true because I saw it on the Internet but this seems to have been pulled out of your posterior.

ORLY?

There's that posterior thing again.

One should ask why Apple would do a performance bump to the old white FW-MB to near the uMB speed, when it is being sold as a end of line low cost product. The performance of speed bumped FW-MB is close to uMB, and it does not make sense when a company wants to shift sales to a new model.

One might, most wouldn't. :rolleyes:

Krafty
Feb 21, 2009, 10:30 AM
http://www.hjo3.net/orly/gal2/orly_white_cat.jpg

Fixed.

nick9191
Feb 21, 2009, 10:33 AM
It sells better because it costs $999 vs. $1299 for nearly identical specs.

Full stop.

Firewire 800 on the $1599 model methinks.

VSMacOne
Feb 21, 2009, 10:38 AM
of course the White MB is better selling than the Unibody MB ... IT"S BEEN OUT A FEW YEARS LONGER THAN THE UNIBODY!! lol... awesome thread. :rolleyes:

firewire on the macbook is gone. i wouldn't sacrifice any of the current ports for a FW port.

the white macbook is an interesting thing tho... i wonder if they updated that system in order to sell the remaining plastic casings, because most people would have bought the Unibody before the White MB upgrade last month. who knows?!?

DHagan4755
Feb 21, 2009, 10:49 AM
Heck if they're going to do that then Apple should also offer an optional anti glare treatment like the new 17-inch MacBook Pro as well as a better overall LCD panel than they are currently using in the unibody MacBook.

Sky Blue
Feb 21, 2009, 10:53 AM
Word is Apple is scrambling to redesign the uMB with FireWire (presumably FW800) as quickly as possible.
It may be offered as a high end MB.
[/I]

hahahahahaha

no

cheesymogul
Feb 21, 2009, 11:16 AM
I thought exact the same thing when I checked the bestseller list. Two months ago the old Whitebook was ranked number 4 behind both unibody Macbook models and the MBP 15".
Not to mention that a year ago Apple always had 5-6 models in the top ten, which is now completely dominated by netbooks!

Apple most likely lost hundred thousands of Macbook sales due to the omission of FW alone. Customers probably didn't go for the Pro upgrade as expected. To control the damage they silently updated the Whitebook.

Since money is the only language Apple understands, a fix of the FW issue is imminent.
But they will do it Apple style. FW800 only for the speedier more expensive model. Maybe they will even call it Pro, so they can charge at least 100 bucks more...

Cali3350
Feb 21, 2009, 11:31 AM
Firewire is dead, USB beat it. Apple gets this. Now you need to get it.

tubbymac
Feb 21, 2009, 11:45 AM
Instead of Firewire coming back Apple will probably remove yet another port in the next Macbook. I'll be here to swim in the ocean of fanboy tears when the next Macbook has no firewire and no ethernet port either :)

ziggyonice
Feb 21, 2009, 11:49 AM
And OP... do you know WHY the white MacBook sells better than the aluminum ones?

BECAUSE IT STILL EXISTS. Because it is CHEAPER than the aluminum one. It really has NOTHING to do with FireWire.

Exactly. I don't think the white, classic MacBook is selling any better because it has Firewire -- it's because it's $300 less than the unibody. And average customers look at price, not to mention most of them don't even know what Firewire is.

iMacmatician
Feb 21, 2009, 12:17 PM
I think he means in the context of them having taken it away from the MacBook.True, but the new Mac mini doesn't support that statement, unless he's referring to Firewire 800.

I thought exact the same thing when I checked the bestseller list. Two months ago the old Whitebook was ranked number 4 behind both unibody Macbook models and the MBP 15".

Apple most likely lost hundred thousands of Macbook sales due to the omission of FW alone. Customers probably didn't go for the Pro upgrade as expected. To control the damage they silently updated the Whitebook.Two months ago the whiteBook wasn't updated. So basically the spec bump is a big reason for the whiteBook rising in the bestseller list. And I'm not sure how much sales they actually lost, given that the whiteBook used to be below both the MacBooks in the list (and the 15" MBP…).

But they will do it Apple style. FW800 only for the speedier more expensive model. Maybe they will even call it Pro, so they can charge at least 100 bucks more...A "MacBook Pro"?

;)

otis123
Feb 21, 2009, 12:51 PM
ive never used a firewire port, ever. i dont get what the big deal is, USB killed it, and 3.0 will bury it, and pour cement over it :)

iMacmatician
Feb 21, 2009, 01:12 PM
One should ask why Apple would do a performance bump to the old white FW-MB to near the uMB speed, when it is being sold as a end of line low cost product. The performance of speed bumped FW-MB is close to uMB, and it does not make sense when a company wants to shift sales to a new model.I do have this thought though, that maybe in the spring unibody update (faster CPUs), the whiteBook will not be updated.

Tallest Skil
Feb 21, 2009, 01:13 PM
ive never used a firewire port, ever. i dont get what the big deal is, USB killed it, and 3.0 will bury it, and pour cement over it :)

FireWire 3200 is still faster than USB 3.0.

alphaod
Feb 21, 2009, 01:29 PM
Great another prediction based on nothing but imagination.

PracticalMac
Feb 21, 2009, 02:53 PM

Re-read the post.

And this web sides is called MacRUMORS, that usually means something that has a good chance to happen but, no proof.

As much as I would like to find an online posting of Apple statement about "more FW devices", it is not.

You are aware that Amazon is but one reseller of Apple laptops. Yes?

Of course, Internet posts are completely representative of all users. Yes?

One might, most wouldn't. :rolleyes:

Show me other web sites that show sales figures.
Go ahead and link.

Look at Apples web site, look at all the independent web sites, you will easily find what I said is repeated many times, "I need FW in a MB, it does not have it, so I will not get it".
It is your imagination that I am saying it represents ALL Mac users.

Oh, and if people want to see more comments, here is about 18,000 more (I am NOT saying it is honest and scientific, just it is something):
http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?MB1394

Not everything is posted on the net. Give it a couple of months and come back to this.

Edit: Yes, the speed bump would cause better sales for FW-MB. I did fail to consider the time period of information, will see if I can get something

Tallest Skil
Feb 21, 2009, 02:56 PM
Re-read the post.

I did, and I saw the same two unsubstantiated rumors that I saw the first time, sales data aside.

Schtumple
Feb 21, 2009, 03:01 PM

I do a media course and I'm thankful to have both FW400 & 800, having to plugin an adapter just to import footage would get tiresome...

polaris20
Feb 21, 2009, 03:25 PM

True, but there's a point where the average consumer doesn't give a squirt about the difference between two specs that are both already faster than they need.

iMacmatician
Feb 21, 2009, 03:34 PM
As much as I would like to find an online posting of Apple statement about "more FW devices", it is not.Really?

Look at Apples web site, look at all the independent web sites, you will easily find what I said is repeated many times, "I need FW in a MB, it does not have it, so I will not get it".
It is your imagination that I am saying it represents ALL Mac users.

Oh, and if people want to see more comments, here is about 18,000 more (I am NOT saying it is honest and scientific, just it is something):
http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?MB1394Data from online comments and forum postings are biased. And no, a larger sample size does not help.

amrk47
Feb 21, 2009, 03:39 PM
i dont believe this because Apple does not listen to the needs and wants of consumers

they just do what they want

Tallest Skil
Feb 21, 2009, 03:40 PM
i dont believe this because Apple does not listen to the needs and wants of consumers

they just do what they want

95% true.

They gave the 17" a matte option and the 2006 Mac Pro an 8800 GT.

cube
Feb 21, 2009, 03:43 PM
Consumers are not preferring the white Macbook just because it's cheaper. It's because it's BETTER and cheaper.

amrk47
Feb 21, 2009, 03:48 PM
95% true.

They gave the 17" a matte option and the 2006 Mac Pro an 8800 GT.

the drawback is that you have to get a $3000 computer to get the matte

nickXedge
Feb 21, 2009, 03:55 PM
And this web sides is called MacRUMORS, that usually means something that has a good chance to happen but, no proof.

First of all, "web sides"? Really? It's a website.

Second, yes, it's MacRumors, where there are rumors which sometimes have a good chance to happen. However, any rumor that is likely to happen is backed by some proof.

The rumors that are not backed by proof are flamed here, just as you are being. It's not a personal attack, it's just too many times people come on here and write about what they think will happen because they really want it to, perhaps they believe it, pathologically.

You can't concoct a rumor and state that the fact that you have no proof doesn't make it any less believable, that's ridiculous.

Tallest Skil
Feb 21, 2009, 03:59 PM
The rumors that are not backed by proof are flamed here, just as you are being. It's not a personal attack, it's just too many times people come on here and write about what they think will happen because they really want it to, perhaps they believe it, pathologically.

You can't concoct a rumor and state that the fact that you have no proof doesn't make it any less believable, that's ridiculous.

Dead on.

An easy way to circumvent this is to believe things that are believable. Things that might actually happen.

For example, the specs at the top of my Mac Pro and Mac Mini threads are what I believe will happen. It just so happens, that what I believe will be the specs are right in line with what we have seen in the past, and what we know will see in the future. Therefore, it is not a stretch to agree with my beliefs, as very many signs point to these specs coming true.

California
Feb 21, 2009, 06:27 PM
Is the OP saying that the white macbook 2.0 with upgraded graphics is outselling the aluminum MB?

That would make sense. The better graphics card plus firewire would have detered me from buying the 2.4 aluminum Macbook when I did.

Maybe Apple has boxed themselves into a "low end corner" with the white Macbooks? We are getting the low end Mac we want?

I'm not happy with the lack of Firewire for one reason only: Target Disk Mode.

Without Firewire, I cannot easily transfer files from one Mac to another. I cannot punch up my Macbook into my Powermac G5, for instance and this is a bummer and creates a class of non interchangable machines, which kills the point of having a good desktop plus a laptop.

fibrizo
Feb 21, 2009, 06:47 PM

Betamax had more resolution than VHS.

tubbymac
Feb 21, 2009, 06:53 PM
Betamax had more resolution than VHS.

+10 for somebody who realizes the better technology isn't always the one that wins over the consumers :)

Tallest Skil
Feb 21, 2009, 06:56 PM
+10 for somebody who realizes the better technology isn't always the one that wins over the consumers :)

Yeah, like HD DVD.:(

Major loss right there, that.

dukebound85
Feb 21, 2009, 06:58 PM

actually, wasnt bluray the better of the two in terms of potential and tech?

thats what i figured when i was researching it

tubbymac
Feb 21, 2009, 06:59 PM

Or MS-DOS over Unix.

/shudder

dukebound85
Feb 21, 2009, 07:01 PM
Without Firewire, I cannot easily transfer files from one Mac to another. I cannot punch up my Macbook into my Powermac G5, for instance and this is a bummer and creates a class of non interchangable machines, which kills the point of having a good desktop plus a laptop.

well i'll be, California finally went to intel! when did this happen:p

California
Feb 22, 2009, 06:31 AM
well i'll be, California finally went to intel! when did this happen:p
Ha ha! Thanks for remembering my PPC fetish...

Notice I'm now the proud owner of the last, fastest PPC the G5 Quad.

Sold the 12" PB a few months ago here on MR and bit the Intel bullet on Black Friday.

The lack of firewire on the Macbook is driving me nuts and I don't use it at all but need it for interviews...

Actually may sell it soon. It's faster than the PB but less handy w/out firewire. P.S. As long as I have a PPC machine somewhere, I won't panic. I really don't use the MB at all.

VSMacOne
Feb 22, 2009, 08:13 AM
Ha ha! Thanks for remembering my PPC fetish...

Notice I'm now the proud owner of the last, fastest PPC the G5 Quad.

Sold the 12" PB a few months ago here on MR and bit the Intel bullet on Black Friday.

The lack of firewire on the Macbook is driving me nuts and I don't use it at all but need it for interviews...

Actually may sell it soon. It's faster than the PB but less handy w/out firewire. P.S. As long as I have a PPC machine somewhere, I won't panic. I really don't use the MB at all.

Hmmm... So you KNEW that FW is a MUST HAVE for you, but you went ahead and bought the MacBook anyway?? Why didn't you just buy an MBP and now you wouldn't have anything to complain about...That makes zero sense.
I'm just sayin'... :rolleyes:

UltraNEO*
Feb 22, 2009, 08:32 AM

I don't see it.

Tallest Skil
Feb 22, 2009, 08:35 AM
I don't see it.

I do... :confused:

http://images.apple.com/macbookpro/overlays/images/redesigned20081014.jpg

;)

clyde2801
Feb 22, 2009, 08:37 AM
Debating whether or not firewire is the reason behind the amazon sales of the new/old whitebook or the recently updated specs is rather like arguing over whether the chicken or the egg came first, isn't it? Good for endless hours of speculation, but not much else.

<taps fingers, whistles, looks around, waits...>

Though, if I had a firewire device or two that I planned to keep using for a couple of years, I'd be jumping all over the old/new whitebook. It's basically got the same specs as the base uni-MB, more less in expensive, and much more portable and affordable than the uni MBP.

If I was just starting out on mac laptops or mac in general, I'd choose the same model because of its feature/price ratio.

To engage in further mental masturbation, I would expect whitebook sales to drop off a bit if people are buying it because of firewire. If it holds onto its ranking, then it's safe to assume it's the price and features of the model. "Honey (Mom/Dad), I know the economy stinks, but look at what we can get for a thousand bucks...."

California
Feb 22, 2009, 08:40 PM
Hmmm... So you KNEW that FW is a MUST HAVE for you, but you went ahead and bought the MacBook anyway?? Why didn't you just buy an MBP and now you wouldn't have anything to complain about...That makes zero sense.
I'm just sayin'... :rolleyes:

Actually i didn't "know" how much I'd miss firewire until I got the MacBook in my hands. For example, I did not understand that it simply does not recognize firewire ports on other devices... such as my 23" Apple Cinema Display.

Or my MacAlly hd enclosure with firewire and USB ports. When plugged into the MacBook, the firewire ports, even though they have power running to them independently, are dead when plugged into the Macbook.

That was probably naive of me but it seems the MacBooks are lacking either firmware or hard ware that makes them recognize independent Firewire.

I did not understand this until I started using it.

I don't like it that i can't even strap a target disc moded Powermac into the MacBook via USB. There is simply no Target Disc Mode on MacBooks Aluminum and I did not understand this before I owned it. I also did not know or understand that I could not daisy chain USB devices, even usb 2.0.

So it is like this good looking and nice but unused, oddball device for me. The only other machine i owned that was like this was the iMac G3 first revision. Without firewire, it sets itself up as this instantly archaic oddball Mac. Unlike the Powerbook 12" last revision which was constantly being synced with my Desktop machine so my current files were up to date.

The MBP is too much machine and too much screen size for me. Not easily carried around.

mcavjame
Feb 22, 2009, 09:03 PM

It's nice that you've never had to rescue your hard drive (or a friend's) using target mode.

Just because one person has never used FW doesn't mean you cannot fathom how its omission impacts a video editing community that relies on a FW interface for cameras, decks and audio and is not about to replace entire inventories of equipment when they are upgrading their computer.

Skeletal-dæmon
Feb 22, 2009, 09:14 PM
I don't know what I would do without my FW port on my BlackBook. I mean sure, fine, the camcorder I just bought uses USB2 only for data transfer from its internal disk, but if I'm using a university camera, or connecting to other people's Macs for work, I would be sunk without it.

I hope Apple does reconsider and add FW capabilities to the AluBook. Fortunately, if they don't, I'll be able to pay for a MacBook Pro by the time this machine is worn down.

California
Feb 22, 2009, 11:42 PM
My final thought on the lack of Firewire on the mac book is that it HAD to have been somewhat of a design constraint for Jonathan Ive.

That, plus the Apple idea of wanting a sub par notebook to make the MacBookPros seem more "pro".

I need a small Apple laptop.

Heck I even know a woman who sniffed her nose at the 14" iBook given to her FREE because of its size.

NT1440
Feb 22, 2009, 11:49 PM
Consumers are not preferring the white Macbook just because it's cheaper. It's because it's BETTER and cheaper.

are you sure you dont mean better because its cheaper?

Other than FW id say this MB is GREAT.

BluExile
Feb 23, 2009, 04:06 AM
Firewire is better than USB. If you don't need firewire though, it doesn't matter. I kind of need firewire, and I still bought the Alu Macbook for $100 more than the white macbook.

I'm taking a gamble that USB will do okay for me. I will be using a Mbox 2 (USB) for audio recording and using my external hard drive with the USB instead of firewire. USB being able to keep up the hard drive honestly scares me more than the audio interface. My camera uses SDHC cards that connect through a USB Device, so I'm cool there. If I had a firewire camera, no way I could use usb. I liked the Alu Macbook over the white one so much that I bet a long shot (USB) vs a sure thing (firewire) when it comes to data transfer.

I know people that don't use firewire could care less that the new Macbooks don't have them. I use firewire everyday and I still bought an alu. I still think it was honestly a mistake by apple to not include it. Not everybody is as dumb as me. :) They lost more $ than they have gained by not adding a 5 cent part or whatever. Just because Apple didn't include firewire doesn't mean it's dead cause "Apple said so." I'm being objective here as an Alu macbook owner. :)

Mikey B
Feb 23, 2009, 09:40 AM
Firewire is better than USB. If you don't need firewire though, it doesn't matter. I kind of need firewire, and I still bought the Alu Macbook for $100 more than the white macbook.

I'm taking a gamble that USB will do okay for me. I will be using a Mbox 2 (USB) for audio recording and using my external hard drive with the USB instead of firewire. USB being able to keep up the hard drive honestly scares me more than the audio interface. My camera uses SDHC cards that connect through a USB Device, so I'm cool there. If I had a firewire camera, no way I could use usb. I liked the Alu Macbook over the white one so much that I bet a long shot (USB) vs a sure thing (firewire) when it comes to data transfer.

I know people that don't use firewire could care less that the new Macbooks don't have them. I use firewire everyday and I still bought an alu. I still think it was honestly a mistake by apple to not include it. Not everybody is as dumb as me. :) They lost more $ than they have gained by not adding a 5 cent part or whatever. Just because Apple didn't include firewire doesn't mean it's dead cause "Apple said so." I'm being objective here as an Alu macbook owner. :)

I don't think Apple lost more money than they would have gained over the firewire issue. The vast majority of consumers could care less, USB is the standard. The MacBook is geared towards consumers, though perfectly capable as a pro machine. But, that being said, Apple's key pro users are much more likely to use a MBP or Mac Pro for their work, and FW is still going strong on them.

PracticalMac
Feb 24, 2009, 09:02 AM
First of all, "web sides"? Really? It's a website.

Second, yes, it's MacRumors, where there are rumors which sometimes have a good chance to happen. However, any rumor that is likely to happen is backed by some proof.

A mocking a spelling error is a personal attack.

I am trying to find a clear evidence (better yet, proof), but as we know, there is a lot of stuff that does not hit the cyber world.

Regardless, the uproar concerning the lack of FW on MB is very simply from all the posts in many sites.

macuser154
Feb 24, 2009, 09:18 AM
Remember that the original MacBook Pro didn't have FireWire 800, after a few revisions, they put it in. Maybe they'll do the same with the next Uni MacBook.

iMacmatician
Feb 24, 2009, 03:29 PM
I am trying to find a clear evidence (better yet, proof), but as we know, there is a lot of stuff that does not hit the cyber world.We still want evidence.

PracticalMac
Feb 24, 2009, 06:33 PM
We still want evidence.

I am looking....

But I http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/02/12/review_laptop_apple_macbook_white/page4.html put it as the best product in Apples lineup,

and yes, as I have said before, it is the price reason, but there will be some who chose it for the FW.

Boston Fan
Feb 24, 2009, 07:08 PM
It's an ever-changing list based on recent sales data. I just clicked on it and:

*Aluminum MacBook is now #11,

*White MacBook has dropped to #15

Kinda puts a big hole in the firewire theory, huh? :rolleyes:

People see what they want to see.

ShadowMind
Feb 25, 2009, 05:47 PM

The only reason I bought the white NVIDIA Macbook was because of the Firewire port.

harry454
Feb 25, 2009, 06:10 PM
yeah, they should have not got rid of firewire, as many external hard drives use them

PracticalMac
Jun 8, 2009, 06:34 PM
I still PHAIL on the proof or supporting links,

but it feels GOOD I was partially right! :D :cool: :apple::apple::apple:

cheesymogul
Jun 9, 2009, 01:04 AM

I'm very happy you were right!

The only dead thing I see, is you fools being dead wrong!!!

sushi
Jun 9, 2009, 01:09 AM
Apparently, at least from Apple's perspective, FW is not dead.

Glad to see FW800 has been added. :)

okatidubi
Jun 9, 2009, 06:40 AM

Yes you were! :D

OutSpoken
Jun 9, 2009, 06:53 AM
Reading all these prediction threads that are coming up from the dead are so funny... I see a lot of egg on many peoples faces now lol

Practical Mac was Nostradamus in this case.