PDA

View Full Version : Need help with eMac NOW!!!

Sambo110
Feb 22, 2009, 12:34 AM
I accidently put the Mac folder (forget what it is called, basically the OS) into the trash, and now when I boot it it just goes to a grey screen and says weird things. Even when I put in the Mac OS X install disc and hold "c". Someone please help me. :(

RKO
Feb 22, 2009, 01:21 AM
Are you restarting the eMac with the power button when you press "C". This has to be done on startup!

Sambo110
Feb 22, 2009, 01:25 AM
I turn it on, and keep pressing eject, it opens, I put the disc in, turn it off, then back on and hold "c". Am I meant to put in disc 1 or 2? I put in 1.

JediMeister
Feb 22, 2009, 01:48 AM
It would be disc 1. When are you letting go of "C". You shouldn't let go of that key until you see the gray screen with the Apple logo and the spinning activity wheel below it. You also mentioned that you see some odd text, what does it say? That you need to restart the computer or does it look like a coding language with a black background and white text?

Sambo110
Feb 22, 2009, 01:50 AM
I never let go of "c" until the weird text comes up. It is the grey screen that says to restart your computer, but there ir also text that mentions unix and stuff, so probably coding language.

JediMeister
Feb 22, 2009, 01:36 PM
Hmm. Getting a kernel panic on startup is not a good thing...do you have a peripheral device hooked into the computer like a printer/scanner, iPod, external hard drive? If not you have some bad juju in the computer hardware itself.

Sambo110
Feb 22, 2009, 06:05 PM
I am really pissed off, cause last night I remembered that my eMac can't read DVD's anymore for some reason, so now my eMac is as good as dead :(. The things connected to my Mac are a wireless keyboard, a wired mouse, a speaker system, an iPod Touch charge cable and an ethernet cable. Is there any way to fix it with a broken DVD drive. I guess the only way is to ge tCD versions of Mac OS X.

ihabime
Feb 22, 2009, 06:43 PM
You should try it with a wired keyboard, wireless doesn't always work right for startup shortcuts on older Macs.

Also try option instead of C, that will let you pick your bootdisk from a list.

Sambo110
Feb 22, 2009, 06:54 PM
As I said, for some reason my eMac doesn't read DVD's anymore, so would that work? I will try with a wired keyboard, you never know.

Sambo110
Feb 22, 2009, 07:01 PM
THANK YOU THANK YOU. I booted from the other HDD, cause my other apple keyboard worked, and I am in! It is weird. Everything is still on my HDD, but the dock, desktop etc is how it was ages ago, and it is 10.4.10. But thanks.

EDIT: Now my iPod Touch won't sync, is there a reason for this? Will I have to format it to sync it again? Cause that would be so annoying.

BlueRevolution
Feb 22, 2009, 10:51 PM
EDIT: Now my iPod Touch won't sync, is there a reason for this? Will I have to format it to sync it again? Cause that would be so annoying.

Yes. Count your blessings.

Sambo110
Feb 23, 2009, 02:34 AM
So I have to lose absolutely everything from my iPod? Cause it's all off my Mac. All the movies, music, apps etc? That sucks. But I guess I should be thankful my Mac is working.

mknawabi
Feb 23, 2009, 02:37 AM
Use a 3rd party app to copy your music back to your HD.

Sambo110
Feb 23, 2009, 06:04 AM
My iPod won't sync to my Mac now! It opens iPhoto whenever I plug it in, and opens in iTunes in my mums iMac when I plug it in, but doesn't open in iTunes on my mac. Anyone know why?

BlueRevolution
Feb 23, 2009, 07:37 AM
Isn't that what it was doing before?

Sambo110
Feb 23, 2009, 09:27 PM
What? It wouldn't start before, now the iPod won't sync to iTunes.

Sambo110
Feb 24, 2009, 03:14 AM
Now when I click about this mac, more info is greyed out. Is this a problem? It isn't that bad, but could it mean something worse? I really think it's time to upgrade.

EDIT: I found everything from before hidden away, all my iTunes stuff etc. Copying it over now, I hope it fixes my iPod problem.

BlueRevolution
Feb 24, 2009, 09:27 AM
What? It wouldn't start before, now the iPod won't sync to iTunes.

By "before" I mean 4 posts before, when you said exactly the same thing.

Now when I click about this mac, more info is greyed out. Is this a problem? It isn't that bad, but could it mean something worse? I really think it's time to upgrade.

EDIT: I found everything from before hidden away, all my iTunes stuff etc. Copying it over now, I hope it fixes my iPod problem.

Try opening /Applications/Utilities/System Profiler.app instead of going through About This Mac. It's odd that it should be grayed out, though.