PDA

View Full Version : Only in Japan

MongoTheGeek
Mar 26, 2004, 07:46 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=1509&u=/afp/20040325/tc_afp/japan_technology_robot_040325143741&printer=1

Not sure what to say but =where's the mounts for the PPC and the 6 pack rockets.

FriarTuck
Mar 26, 2004, 08:03 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=1509&u=/afp/20040325/tc_afp/japan_technology_robot_040325143741&printer=1

Not sure what to say but =where's the mounts for the PPC and the 6 pack rockets.

I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.

Kid Red
Mar 26, 2004, 08:17 AM
Wow.

krimson
Mar 26, 2004, 08:29 AM
soon the storylines in those robo-manga will come true...

but anyways, that's going to be really useful when the next large earthquake hits japan.

Les Kern
Mar 26, 2004, 10:03 AM
Hail Robots!

ExoticFish
Mar 26, 2004, 10:25 AM

i'm waiting for Bill Gates to get his brain transplanted into one of these so he can really start his world domination ploy.

Colonel Panik
Mar 26, 2004, 10:35 AM
i'm waiting for Bill Gates to get his brain transplanted into one of these so he can really start his world domination ploy.

You know, that's the problem with Bill Gates. We all paint him to be an evil billionaire, but he's just a pathetic man who got a few things right. What he needs is to become evil, to become half-cyborg and start holding the world at ransom, etc. I mean, he must be such a boring man. $40 billion and he doesn't even have contact lenses or a hair stylist or a clothes stylist.

We have SJ, and he, in his way, is bonkers.

poopyhead
Mar 26, 2004, 10:57 AM
You know, that's the problem with Bill Gates. We all paint him to be an evil billionaire, but he's just a pathetic man who got a few things right. What he needs is to become evil, to become half-cyborg and start holding the world at ransom, etc. I mean, he must be such a boring man. $40 billion and he doesn't even have contact lenses or a hair stylist or a clothes stylist.

We have SJ, and he, in his way, is bonkers.

yeah, but,
contact lenses and stylists are to get women
his $40 billion makes him defacto the sexiest man alive (for many but not all women) giving him powers of pursuasion I, a mere mortal, can only dream of.
an investment in contacts and a stylist would only decrease his nest egg making him infact less sexy, leading possibly, some day to sexiness lows of Trump or, god forbid, Forbes.
He has invested/stolen wisely and I have no doubt that someday if his brain is not trasplanted into a world dominating cyborg, his conciousness will be downloaded onto the internet ala Timothy Leary in order to control pirating and thereby safegaurd his MS coffers.

jsw
Mar 26, 2004, 11:15 AM
"Aliens", anyone?

Ripley: "Get away from her, you bitch!"

wdlove
Mar 26, 2004, 11:42 AM
I certainly hope that new T-52 Enryu (literally "rescue dragon") will be successful. It will be a very useful tool for disaster rescue. That is a robot that I wouldn't want to see become an independent thinker, lets just keep him/her as a friend.

jsw
Mar 26, 2004, 12:01 PM
It will be a very useful tool for disaster rescue.

Also, might I add, for carrying G5 towers. Perhaps Apple should put one of these in each store to at least help people crate their purchases out to their cars.

:)

rainman::|:|
Mar 26, 2004, 03:05 PM
Well this is completely disappointing. It doesn't even transform. If this were cooler, it would become, maybe, a prawn or a treadmill. But, if someone gave me one, i'd probably eventually find a use for it...

paul

jsw
Mar 26, 2004, 03:09 PM
You know, looking at the picture more closely, I can see all those (power? hydro?) lines getting ripped right off as it tries to "forage its way through a heap of debris". Then it's just another obstacle.

srobert
Mar 26, 2004, 03:47 PM
Boomers! Oh crap! Genom must be behind this.

OutThere
Mar 26, 2004, 03:59 PM
...That is a robot that I wouldn't want to see become an independent thinker, lets just keep him/her as a friend.

http://menzies.us/img/HAL9000.jpg

Makosuke
Mar 26, 2004, 04:37 PM
Boomers! Oh crap! Genom must be behind this.
Hah! Man, this story is so ripe for parody it's it'd be worth developing it just to see what people say. I'm still waiting for the next model to turn into a motorcycle or other equally useless piece of hardware, though.

And let's not forget that to the Japanese robots are not our evil overlords, but loved tools friendly helpers--the ever-cute Astroboy and the disturbingly this-thing-like labor robots of Patlabor (which some owners get way too into). Let's just hope they're right and Western sci-fi isn't...

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure this isn't autonomous--it seems to be more of a large mobile crane than something that operates on its own. And considering how useful giant robotic arms can be in factory work, I'm surprised nobody put two of them on a vehicle for this kind of thing sooner.

krimson
Mar 26, 2004, 04:38 PM

Kent? is that you? :rolleyes:

5300cs
Mar 26, 2004, 10:25 PM
"Go Go Rescue Dragon!" has a certain ring to it ...

bousozoku
Mar 26, 2004, 11:32 PM
I'd like to see it with the Sony Aibo programming.

"Fetch!"

Considering how many earthquakes happen yearly, this robot would be a big help. How many times have people been caught in a building collapse during a fire? Then again, it could end up like the pyromaniac, eventually. :D :eek:

aswitcher
Mar 27, 2004, 12:15 AM
Oh my God, it IS PATLABOR!!!!

G4scott
Mar 27, 2004, 01:04 AM
Does anybody else think that it's model name is a bit odd? T-52? Could this be T as in TERMINATOR? If T1, T2, and T3 were all such powerful robots, can you imagine what T-52 can do?

Besides, what's wrong with the other 25 letters of the alphabet?

bousozoku
Mar 27, 2004, 03:03 AM
Does anybody else think that it's model name is a bit odd? T-52? Could this be T as in TERMINATOR? If T1, T2, and T3 were all such powerful robots, can you imagine what T-52 can do?

Besides, what's wrong with the other 25 letters of the alphabet?

It really wasn't necessary for a Japanese company to use any letters of the Roman alphabet. Why should it matter that they chose 'T'?

adt
Mar 27, 2004, 04:54 AM
It really wasn't necessary for a Japanese company to use any letters of the Roman alphabet. Why should it matter that they chose 'T'?

Maybe 'T' is engrish for http://forums.macrumors.com/image.php?u=5515&dateline=1030823777

blue&whiteman
Mar 27, 2004, 05:19 AM
any machine built to do good is ok in my book.

MrMacMan
Mar 28, 2004, 12:53 AM
any machine built to do good is ok in my book.

Yes... But We are ALL DOOMED ANYWAY!

aswitcher -- what is 'PATLABOR'?

A few more years till the robotic revolution... damn them! :mad:

krimson
Mar 29, 2004, 08:53 AM
http://www.ehobbyland.com/VCD/VCD-Patlabor-OVA2.jpg

:)

iMook
Mar 29, 2004, 02:44 PM
Maybe 'T' is engrish for http://forums.macrumors.com/image.php?u=5515&dateline=1030823777

Your humor is lost on me. (-.-)

aswitcher
Mar 29, 2004, 03:05 PM
Yes... But We are ALL DOOMED ANYWAY!

aswitcher -- what is 'PATLABOR'?

A few more years till the robotic revolution... damn them! :mad:

Patrol Labor.

A Japanese Animation series about man pilot giant robots (like half of jap anime) and the police force who pilot similiar machines to bring down criminals using them to commit crimes, or when their AI goes rogue ;)

mvc
Mar 29, 2004, 07:10 PM
A Japanese Animation series about man pilot giant robots

Oh, the freudian significance of this sentence. Is this then the Japanese equivalent of "man who drives a big red sports car must have a small "?

:p

MrMacMan
Mar 29, 2004, 07:13 PM
Patrol Labor.

A Japanese Animation series about man pilot giant robots (like half of jap anime) and the police force who pilot similiar machines to bring down criminals using them to commit crimes, or when their AI goes rogue ;)

a ha.

Thanks, I haven't seen it or heard about it until now...

Cool.

I still like my Anime's better. :D

AngryLawnGnome
Mar 29, 2004, 08:31 PM
AHHH ROBOTS!!!!! :eek:

craigdawg
Mar 29, 2004, 10:09 PM
It will no doubt come in handy when them dang Zentraedi (http://www.robotech.com/infopedia/encyclopedia/viewterm.php?id=37) attack.

Need to mount some guns onto it (http://www.robotech.com/infopedia/mecha/viewmecha.php?id=51) first though.