PDA

View Full Version : Best iPhone book for experienced Cocoa devs?

mduser63
Feb 22, 2009, 01:46 PM
After a long period with no free time to work on it, I'm finally wanting to get started with iPhone programming. I'm fairly experienced with Cocoa programming on the Mac (I have a shipping shareware app that has been on sale for some time) so I definitely don't need a book that goes through the basics of Objective-C. My favorite books for Cocoa on the Mac are/were the standard Cocoa Progamming for Mac OS X by Aaron Hillegass and Progamming in Objective-C by Stephen Kochan. What do people think are the best books for learning Cocoa Touch programming? Something like Hillegass' book (which basically assumes Objective-C proficiency) but for iPhone development would be perfect.

Pronoun
Feb 22, 2009, 01:51 PM
I have heard this one recommended:
Beginning iPhone Development: Exploring the iPhone SDK
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1430216263

Gary

caveman_uk
Feb 23, 2009, 02:36 AM
I found I actually learnt quite a lot from the Apple sample codes and various stuff on the internet. Of the iPhone books I have the one that has been most useful to me is the (often slated) Erica Sadun book. It's NOT a book to learn Cocoa touch with - it is however a very useful collection of tips and code snippets.

ghayenga
Feb 23, 2009, 10:19 PM
I found I actually learnt quite a lot from the Apple sample codes and various stuff on the internet. Of the iPhone books I have the one that has been most useful to me is the (often slated) Erica Sadun book. It's NOT a book to learn Cocoa touch with - it is however a very useful collection of tips and code snippets.

If you already know Cocoa then Erica Sadun's iPhone Developers Cookbook is probably the way to go.