PDA

View Full Version : [Merged] Microsoft Miscalculates Severance, Asks Laid Off Employees To Return Funds

macfan881
Feb 22, 2009, 03:47 PM
i just read this article http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-10169119-75.html?tag=newsLatestHeadlinesArea.0 the other day on cnet and i cant.. actaully can coming from MS but still firing people and asking for money back after being fired. to me MS should have fired the accounting team but oh well again this does not surprise me from ms what do you guys think about this?

ezekel
Feb 22, 2009, 04:23 PM
I like how the letter stated "apologize for any inconvenience to you".

Legally, are they allowed to do that after their severance has been determined? I don't know much about layoffs or how the packages work.

TuffLuffJimmy
Feb 22, 2009, 04:26 PM
as if that company doesn't have enough money already.

twoodcc
Feb 23, 2009, 12:08 AM
as if that company doesn't have enough money already.

my thoughts exactly

FX120
Feb 23, 2009, 02:49 PM
Rumor has it that people were overpayed by an entire years salary. They're still getting their correct severance pay, it's not like they're asking for that back, only the overpaid ammount.

Doesn't make much sense to pay people their normal salary when you're not going to have them work for you.

IMO it's perfectly reasonable to correct obvious accounting errors like this.

TuffLuffJimmy
Feb 23, 2009, 04:42 PM
Rumor has it that people were overpayed by an entire years salary. They're still getting their correct severance pay, it's not like they're asking for that back, only the overpaid ammount.

Doesn't make much sense to pay people their normal salary when you're not going to have them work for you.

IMO it's perfectly reasonable to correct obvious accounting errors like this.

It's just adding insult to injury, even if they did butter them up before injuring.

macfan881
Feb 23, 2009, 06:31 PM
I hope the accounting people get fired over this too

FX120
Feb 23, 2009, 06:33 PM
It's just adding insult to injury, even if they did butter them up before injuring.

Yes it sucks that this happened, but seriously would anyone expect Microsoft to just let millions of dollars be lost to an accounting error because it might look bad if they asked for it back?

TuffLuffJimmy
Feb 23, 2009, 06:35 PM
Yes it sucks that this happened, but seriously would anyone expect Microsoft to just let millions of dollars be lost to an accounting error because it might look bad if they asked for it back?
Yes.

**and I bet it was a software error! and if it weren't, if it were human error, I hope whoever caused the error is fired (although knowing microsoft they were probably promoted)

IndyGopher
Feb 23, 2009, 06:51 PM

That is exactly what they should have done, and now that they made total asses of themselves, it is exactly what they ARE doing.

ski2moro
Feb 23, 2009, 07:46 PM
In a recent letter to some of the laid off Microsoft employees:

"An inadvertent administrative error occurred that resulted in an overpayment in severance pay by Microsoft. We ask that you repay the overpayment and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience to you."

How did they figure this out? Excel?

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/siliconalley/big-tech/microsoft_to_the_laid_off_please_send_back_part_of_your_severance_2009_2.html

And now, in the most recent update to the Severance Program, Microsoft says it was an error, and the former employees can keep the overpayment.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9128432&intsrc=news_ts_head

GSPice
Feb 23, 2009, 07:48 PM
now what about the employees who were underpaid...

Schtumple
Feb 23, 2009, 07:52 PM
Good lord, someone actually gave the go ahead to order the money back? What kind of a heart less b*stard does that...

Oh wait...

http://therawfeed.com/pix/steve_ballmer-2.jpg

iJohnHenry
Feb 23, 2009, 08:01 PM
How did they figure this out? Excel?

openOffice/neoOffice. ;)

runplaysleeprun
Feb 23, 2009, 08:05 PM
I think they're getting it all now...

http://i.gizmodo.com/5159128/microsoft-firees-can-keep-all-their-severance-pay

jbernie
Feb 23, 2009, 10:27 PM
So, if you fall under the group of people laid off and got paid the correct amount, how do you feel about a group of other laid off employees getting extra $$$ they weren't supposed to get, maybe feel a little short changed?

alexbates
Feb 23, 2009, 10:30 PM
I bet those are some happy people that used to work for Microsoft....

Winni
Feb 24, 2009, 05:29 AM
You can all stop the bashing, it's now official that the ex-employees can fully keep the overpaid severance packages. Everything else would have surprised me. In my experience (and not just hearsay), Microsoft is a very generous company.

pilotError
Feb 24, 2009, 07:35 AM
In my experience (and not just hearsay), Microsoft is a very generous company.

As long as your not from the United States...

Keebler
Feb 24, 2009, 10:28 AM
if the ex-employees knew they were getting extra severance, they I hope they weren't ticked when MS wanted it back b/c it wasn't their money.

Personally, i don't care how the company is, but if folks are overpaid, they should do the right thing and acknowledge the mistake.

If they didn't know, which i would find hard to believe b/c you sign papers upon your exit so anything they received cheque wise should have spelled the difference, then it's not their fault obviously.

Of course, now MS is going to give them the extra so i guess my points are moot.

This isn't like Nortel which is absolutely screwing its recent ex-employees. Since the big N claimed bankruptcy, they're protected from paying severance. Can you imagine working in a place for 20 years and expecting a very nice severance pkg in lieu of a pension and then not getting it? Some folks will have to sell their houses etc...

Entirely a different subject, but my stomach turns when I think of that situation. Meanwhile, the ex-execs sit back and enjoy their millions...yikes!

ChrisA
Feb 24, 2009, 05:53 PM
...Microsoft is a very generous company.

Actually yes they are. There is no requirement to offer severance pay at all. I'm been through a few layoffs in the aerospace industry. They basically just tell you to go home NOW. and that's it How ever in each case I was paid up until the end of the work day and got to leave early. This is how places like Raytheon and Northrup work. MS seems much nicer.

IJ Reilly
Feb 24, 2009, 06:07 PM
Actually yes they are.

Except when they are not.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E02EED8133FF930A25751C1A9669C8B63

jbernie
Feb 24, 2009, 06:41 PM
Except when they are not.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E02EED8133FF930A25751C1A9669C8B63

By STEVEN GREENHOUSE
Published: December 13, 2000

hmmm.

IJ Reilly
Feb 24, 2009, 07:11 PM
hmmm.

Hmmm, what? Largest unfair employment practices penalty of its kind. A reminder to people (assuming they ever knew) just how "not nice" Microsoft can be to their employees. Took them something like eight years to admit they were wrong, and settle.

ucfgrad93
Feb 24, 2009, 10:18 PM
While Microsoft is certainly entitled to get that money back, they should have just let the overpayment stand as a goodwill gesture.

Thomas Veil
Feb 24, 2009, 11:13 PM
From what I hear, they did. I read an article early today that said the employees would be allowed to keep the overage.

I don't remember where I read that article, but I had to laugh, because the first three comments below it were:

They should've told the people to keep the money in the first place.

No, Microsoft shouldn't have even gotten themselves into that situation at all.

Gee, it sure would be nice if there were, you know, some sort of spreadsheet application that could prevent this kind of thing from happening.

:D

william sire
Feb 25, 2009, 04:33 AM
Let me see... I no longer have a job and you are going to ask me to give back the only money I have left. Not going to happen.

gkarris
Feb 25, 2009, 02:59 PM
Per Michael Dell's suggestion and as an Apple Shareholder, I'm waiting for Apple to give me my money back... :eek:

Actually, I'd prefer Michael Dell to give me money back for buying a couple of their worthless machines, and Bill Gates give me money back for the part of a laptop I just purchased with Vista (or give me Windows 7 as a FREE upgrade).