[Merged] Microsoft Miscalculates Severance, Asks Laid Off Employees To Return Funds

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by macfan881, Feb 22, 2009.

1. macrumors 68020

2. macrumors regular

I like how the letter stated "apologize for any inconvenience to you".

Legally, are they allowed to do that after their severance has been determined? I don't know much about layoffs or how the packages work.

3. macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

as if that company doesn't have enough money already.

4. macrumors P6

twoodcc

my thoughts exactly

5. macrumors 65816

FX120

Rumor has it that people were overpayed by an entire years salary. They're still getting their correct severance pay, it's not like they're asking for that back, only the overpaid ammount.

Doesn't make much sense to pay people their normal salary when you're not going to have them work for you.

IMO it's perfectly reasonable to correct obvious accounting errors like this.

6. macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

It's just adding insult to injury, even if they did butter them up before injuring.

7. thread starter macrumors 68020

I hope the accounting people get fired over this too

8. macrumors 65816

FX120

Yes it sucks that this happened, but seriously would anyone expect Microsoft to just let millions of dollars be lost to an accounting error because it might look bad if they asked for it back?

9. macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Yes.

**and I bet it was a software error! and if it weren't, if it were human error, I hope whoever caused the error is fired (although knowing microsoft they were probably promoted)

10. macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

That is exactly what they should have done, and now that they made total asses of themselves, it is exactly what they ARE doing.

11. macrumors 6502

Microsofties must return severance pay

In a recent letter to some of the laid off Microsoft employees:

"An inadvertent administrative error occurred that resulted in an overpayment in severance pay by Microsoft. We ask that you repay the overpayment and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience to you."

How did they figure this out? Excel?

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds..._send_back_part_of_your_severance_2009_2.html

And now, in the most recent update to the Severance Program, Microsoft says it was an error, and the former employees can keep the overpayment.

http://www.computerworld.com/action...leBasic&articleId=9128432&intsrc=news_ts_head

12. macrumors 68000

GSPice

now what about the employees who were underpaid...

13. macrumors 601

Schtumple

Good lord, someone actually gave the go ahead to order the money back? What kind of a heart less b*stard does that...

Oh wait...

[​IMG]

14. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

openOffice/neoOffice. ;)

15. macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

16. macrumors 6502a

jbernie

So, if you fall under the group of people laid off and got paid the correct amount, how do you feel about a group of other laid off employees getting extra $$$ they weren't supposed to get, maybe feel a little short changed?

17. macrumors 65816

alexbates

I bet those are some happy people that used to work for Microsoft....

18. macrumors 68030

Winni

You can all stop the bashing, it's now official that the ex-employees can fully keep the overpaid severance packages. Everything else would have surprised me. In my experience (and not just hearsay), Microsoft is a very generous company.

19. macrumors 68020

pilotError

As long as your not from the United States...

20. macrumors 68030

if the ex-employees knew they were getting extra severance, they I hope they weren't ticked when MS wanted it back b/c it wasn't their money.

Personally, i don't care how the company is, but if folks are overpaid, they should do the right thing and acknowledge the mistake.

If they didn't know, which i would find hard to believe b/c you sign papers upon your exit so anything they received cheque wise should have spelled the difference, then it's not their fault obviously.

Of course, now MS is going to give them the extra so i guess my points are moot.

This isn't like Nortel which is absolutely screwing its recent ex-employees. Since the big N claimed bankruptcy, they're protected from paying severance. Can you imagine working in a place for 20 years and expecting a very nice severance pkg in lieu of a pension and then not getting it? Some folks will have to sell their houses etc...

Entirely a different subject, but my stomach turns when I think of that situation. Meanwhile, the ex-execs sit back and enjoy their millions...yikes!

21. macrumors G4

Actually yes they are. There is no requirement to offer severance pay at all. I'm been through a few layoffs in the aerospace industry. They basically just tell you to go home NOW. and that's it How ever in each case I was paid up until the end of the work day and got to leave early. This is how places like Raytheon and Northrup work. MS seems much nicer.

22. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

23. macrumors 6502a

jbernie

24. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Hmmm, what? Largest unfair employment practices penalty of its kind. A reminder to people (assuming they ever knew) just how "not nice" Microsoft can be to their employees. Took them something like eight years to admit they were wrong, and settle.

25. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

While Microsoft is certainly entitled to get that money back, they should have just let the overpayment stand as a goodwill gesture.