Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ezekel

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2004
Royal Oak
I like how the letter stated "apologize for any inconvenience to you".

Legally, are they allowed to do that after their severance has been determined? I don't know much about layoffs or how the packages work.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
Rumor has it that people were overpayed by an entire years salary. They're still getting their correct severance pay, it's not like they're asking for that back, only the overpaid ammount.

Doesn't make much sense to pay people their normal salary when you're not going to have them work for you.

IMO it's perfectly reasonable to correct obvious accounting errors like this.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Rumor has it that people were overpayed by an entire years salary. They're still getting their correct severance pay, it's not like they're asking for that back, only the overpaid ammount.

Doesn't make much sense to pay people their normal salary when you're not going to have them work for you.

IMO it's perfectly reasonable to correct obvious accounting errors like this.

It's just adding insult to injury, even if they did butter them up before injuring.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
It's just adding insult to injury, even if they did butter them up before injuring.

Yes it sucks that this happened, but seriously would anyone expect Microsoft to just let millions of dollars be lost to an accounting error because it might look bad if they asked for it back?

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Yes it sucks that this happened, but seriously would anyone expect Microsoft to just let millions of dollars be lost to an accounting error because it might look bad if they asked for it back?
Yes.

**and I bet it was a software error! and if it weren't, if it were human error, I hope whoever caused the error is fired (although knowing microsoft they were probably promoted)

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN

That is exactly what they should have done, and now that they made total asses of themselves, it is exactly what they ARE doing.

ski2moro

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
Microsofties must return severance pay

In a recent letter to some of the laid off Microsoft employees:

"An inadvertent administrative error occurred that resulted in an overpayment in severance pay by Microsoft. We ask that you repay the overpayment and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience to you."

How did they figure this out? Excel?

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds..._send_back_part_of_your_severance_2009_2.html

And now, in the most recent update to the Severance Program, Microsoft says it was an error, and the former employees can keep the overpayment.

http://www.computerworld.com/action...leBasic&articleId=9128432&intsrc=news_ts_head

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Good lord, someone actually gave the go ahead to order the money back? What kind of a heart less b*stard does that...

Oh wait...

steve_ballmer-2.jpg

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
So, if you fall under the group of people laid off and got paid the correct amount, how do you feel about a group of other laid off employees getting extra $$$ they weren't supposed to get, maybe feel a little short changed?

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
You can all stop the bashing, it's now official that the ex-employees can fully keep the overpaid severance packages. Everything else would have surprised me. In my experience (and not just hearsay), Microsoft is a very generous company.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
if the ex-employees knew they were getting extra severance, they I hope they weren't ticked when MS wanted it back b/c it wasn't their money.

Personally, i don't care how the company is, but if folks are overpaid, they should do the right thing and acknowledge the mistake.

If they didn't know, which i would find hard to believe b/c you sign papers upon your exit so anything they received cheque wise should have spelled the difference, then it's not their fault obviously.

Of course, now MS is going to give them the extra so i guess my points are moot.

This isn't like Nortel which is absolutely screwing its recent ex-employees. Since the big N claimed bankruptcy, they're protected from paying severance. Can you imagine working in a place for 20 years and expecting a very nice severance pkg in lieu of a pension and then not getting it? Some folks will have to sell their houses etc...

Entirely a different subject, but my stomach turns when I think of that situation. Meanwhile, the ex-execs sit back and enjoy their millions...yikes!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
...Microsoft is a very generous company.

Actually yes they are. There is no requirement to offer severance pay at all. I'm been through a few layoffs in the aerospace industry. They basically just tell you to go home NOW. and that's it How ever in each case I was paid up until the end of the work day and got to leave early. This is how places like Raytheon and Northrup work. MS seems much nicer.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville

Hmmm, what? Largest unfair employment practices penalty of its kind. A reminder to people (assuming they ever knew) just how "not nice" Microsoft can be to their employees. Took them something like eight years to admit they were wrong, and settle.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
While Microsoft is certainly entitled to get that money back, they should have just let the overpayment stand as a goodwill gesture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.