Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Cha-Ching, an upcoming iPhone version of the popular money management software for Mac.

Just like the Mac version, Cha-Ching mobile allows you to create multiple account and manage your budget, schedule payments, and add payees. Probably the most amazing feature is the ability to sync all of the data from the Mac version of Cha-Ching wirelessly to your iPhone/iPod touch.

The iPhone version of Cha-Ching also takes advantage of the platform's location tracking features to allow users to tag payees based on their location. Finally, Cha-Ching provides a simple way to add notes to transactions in order to assist in budgeting and record-keeping.

Cha-Ching will be available soon from the App Store at a price of $2.99.

Article Link: Cha-Ching Coming Soon to iPhone

GottaLoveApple4

macrumors member
May 11, 2008
Looks very well done

I will definitely have to try this application out when it comes out. It looks very well done and my current balance application is very basic and does not cover this many accounts. Can't wait!

CTYankee

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
These guys are so slow and unreliable I would never trust them with software to manage my finances. Look at how long they took to deliver on their promises with CC v2 (and broke many along the way). Sorry, but these guys are not worth it. Moneywell is a much better app, much faster development, much better customer service.

Buyer beware with Midnight Apps and Cha-Ching!!

http://www.macheist.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7176

http://midnightapps.com/community/comments.php?DiscussionID=421&page=1#Item_0

http://midnightapps.com/community/comments.php?DiscussionID=404&page=1#Item_0

http://midnightapps.com/community/comments.php?DiscussionID=259&page=4

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Forget Cha-Ching, use Mint

I was a big fan of Cha-Ching until I discovered Mint (http://www.mint.com) and in the past couple of months they released an iPhone app as well sealing the deal even more. It's great not to have to download and import my statements. Mint does it automatically and it ties in to all my other financial institutions as well (loans, 401k, and now mortgages and your car appraisal). So sorry Midnight App guys, Mint definitely has the upper hand here.

macrockbuddy

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2008
?

How much for the mac software? I tried to download from Apple Downloads but directs me to a bogus site. @ downloads.com it says $40 license fee, is that right?

Any feed back on whether u like the software would b great 2!

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
Agreed, CTYankee!

What are these guys doing? 2.0 has been in beta forever and a day, despite promises that it would ship a long time ago. And now they're releasing an iPhone app? Shouldn't they make good on the promise of 2.0 first???

I've made a promise to myself to get off Quicken and am currently testing iBank and MoneyWell. I had high hopes for Cha-Ching back when it was first released, but it's always been a disappointment. The 2.0 debacle has excluded it from any further consideration. I also checked out Money (too simple) and MoneyDance (good, but I hate Java apps).

I really like MoneyWell, but I'm not sure the whole money flow concept is going to work for me (independent contractor, fluctuating income). iBank is slowly winning me over. Now that I've gotten the hang of it, I find it to be a very capable Quicken alternative.

I'm going to check out Mint, though. That looks great!

CTYankee

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
How much for the mac software? I tried to download from Apple Downloads but directs me to a bogus site. @ downloads.com it says $40 license fee, is that right?

Any feed back on whether u like the software would b great 2!

$40 is about right. However look at Mint or Moneywell. I like Moneywell. I have not used Mint, but do know a few who switched to MW and like it better (and the pricing model). iBank is good too, but just too much eye candy and lack some key features (budgeting in a useful way). Bug fixes were also slow coming.

Cha-Ching is one of the worst apps for support and development. They seem to always be chasing the next thing vs finishing the ones they have not completed. When they were promising us v2 we saw a website refresh, iPhone app and lots of talk about future stuff. Yet did not get CC v2 finished during any of this and just made lots of (lame) excuses.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I ended up with Cha-ching as part of one of those big shareware bundles, and I had significant issues with it when I put in some finances for testing--the features that involved sorting/filtering transactions by date just plain didn't work, with several transactions just plain not showing up when they should have.

That, plus one corrupt entry I generated, pointed to me to a poorly implemented internal database. Regardless of cause, though, that was version 1.2.2 (current non-beta is 1.2.3) a little over a year ago. I liked everything else about the app, so were those problems to get fixed I'd actually use it, but a year without an easy-to-expose and rather severe bug getting fixed seems pretty bad.

I would be very, very skeptical of an iPhone app doing its job until I see proof that the desktop one is repaired.

This is, after all, not a trivial task--if I'm going to go to the trouble of inputting every transaction I make into software, I would very much like to be able to say "How much did I spend on food in January?" and have it accurately tell me the answer. Which as of 1.2.2, Cha-ching didn't.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Cha-Ching is a fantastic Mac application. I'm always on top of their betas; thought I'd reiterate to the nay-sayers...it IS BETA.

The iPhone App looks gorgeous and I will absolutely benefit from the location awareness.

CTYankee

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
Cha-Ching is a fantastic Mac application. I'm always on top of their betas; thought I'd reiterate to the nay-sayers...it IS BETA.

As the other poster mentioned, even the final version has issues.

Yes the current version of 2.0 is beta, but a beta is no excuse misleading your customers so you can cash in on a bundle (as Juan did...see their forms). They admit a beta of 2.0 was required for them to participate in MH II, and they were a long way off from delivering on that and mislead John/Phil and the users when they claimed days and weeks away when in reality it took 6 months.

Buggy software, slow developers, and people who frankly I don't trust. Buyer beware.

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005

You're kidding, right? The perpetual beta? The endless empty promises. I got my Cha-Ching license as part of a bundle, otherwise I'd be reporting these guys to the BBB and raising a stink. They've never delivered. Just one lame excuse after another.

With so many GOOD finance apps available for the Mac, apps that are actually SUPPORTED, apps where, when the developer makes a promise, he actually STICKS to it, why would anyone waste his time on Cha-Ching? What does it possibly offer that the better supported alternatives don't?

dannbohn

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2008
The midnightapps team is pretty small. I think there are only 2 of them. The stable version of cha-ching is great, I've been using it for well over a year. Yes, the 2.0 has been in beta for awhile, but it is BETA and they have hit a few snags in development. You can find all this information on their blog/forums. They aren't about to release a sub par application to appease the naysayers. I commend them for that.

The team puts together great software, I have used competing software and nothing looks as good, works as well, and looks as promising as cha-ching. I have faith that the team will release a great app, and I will gladly support them.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I was a big fan of Cha-Ching until I discovered Mint (http://www.mint.com) and in the past couple of months they released an iPhone app as well sealing the deal even more. It's great not to have to download and import my statements. Mint does it automatically and it ties in to all my other financial institutions as well (loans, 401k, and now mortgages and your car appraisal). So sorry Midnight App guys, Mint definitely has the upper hand here.

I really don't want to tie some third party software developer in to all of my financial institutions. Call me paranoid, but how do I know what they're going to do with that information, or who has access to it?

Nope, I'll stick with iXpenseit. I may have to enter information manually, but it's powerful, easy to use, and doesn't require divulging sensitive financial information to third parties I know very little about.

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
I really don't want to tie some third party software developer in to all of my financial institutions. Call me paranoid, but how do I know what they're going to do with that information, or who has access to it?

Nope, I'll stick with iXpenseit. I may have to enter information manually, but it's powerful, easy to use, and doesn't require divulging sensitive financial information to third parties I know very little about.
I kind of agree with you on this subject.

I dont want an application that pulls my actual balance and shows it to me.

BankofAmerica.com can do that for me.

I want an app to track my CURRENT balance, with all outstanding checks and online bill pay stuff.

Basically, a check register that can sync with the computer.

I use Quicken now on my PC and nothing on the iPhone.

Oh heck. Why can't Quicken just make something that will sync with the iPhone. :D

carrjar

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2007
Columbus, OH
Mint.com, Moneywell, Pocketmoney, Cha-ching

Mint.com makes me nervous. I don't like the idea of giving up my bank user ID and password. Moneywell seems to be ok. I'm trying both that and Cha-ching beta 2. Right now I track my spending with PocketMoney. A great iPhone app. And I type everything else into a budget "template" in Numbers. I'd love to be able to track my expenses manually from my iPhone, and sync that info to my MacBook. Cha-ching looks like the closest to that...unless Moneywell delivers their iPhone app soon as well.

chewbaccapits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
Torrance, Californizzel
I just received a letter FROM my bank explaining some BS story that my account along with thousands of other accounts may have been compromised...This is my bank telling me this, how can a third party really assure one that the same wouldn't happen? I'll tell you how..They cannot. BTW, I'm not sure what banks and credit card companies are doing to secure our info because this has happen to me at least 3 times in the past 4 years (various credit cards and banks-can't remember which)...WTF! Are they storing personal info on an frack'en commodore? Mint is pretty sweet and it is free but at the expense of my personal info and activity, it just doesn't seem worth to me...:apple:

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
For those using MoneyWell, does it only get your transactions from your bank online, or can it act as a simple check register?

Does it work on a PC, or is it Apple only?

I can't seem to find either answer on their web site.

CTYankee

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
For those using MoneyWell, does it only get your transactions from your bank online, or can it act as a simple check register?

Does it work on a PC, or is it Apple only?

I can't seem to find either answer on their web site.

You can use Moneywell completely manual if you like ie...enter every transaction yourself. It also imports files you download from the internet AND 'direct connect' like feature that imports directly into Moneywell w/o having to go on line (limited to banks that support this and provided you have access to this...most charge for it).

It can be as simple as a manual check register, or it can keep track of every transaction you make with one click (provided all your accounts have DC access). Very flexible and scalable for individuals.

Mac only and developed and supported by the most impressive independent development team...of one (so much for the excuse of ChaChing taking so long because they are 'just' 2 guys).

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC

They use the same service that your banks, credit cards and other major institutions use. Check it, Mint is even listed. http://yodlee.com/customerspartners_cu.shtml

Also if you haven't already, read Mint's privacy info and watch the video.
http://www.mint.com/privacy/

I didn't sign up for Mint right away until I did my own digging after a good couple of weeks.

We ask for your online banking user name and passwords, but we do not see or store that information.

That means no one at Mint, and no potential hackers of Mint.com, can access your banking credentials.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.