PDA

View Full Version : App Store reviews from non-owners disappeared

mstream2008
Feb 25, 2009, 09:56 PM
Back in the old days everyone could write a review. So many left a comment (often meaningless, silly question or whatever else) without purchasing/downloading an app.
Today I've just noticed the number of reviews for my game has dropped, browsing through them I noticed that it is the reviews from non-owners that disappeared.
Has anyone else noticed such a change?

Doctor Q
Feb 26, 2009, 11:05 AM
See App Store Changes in Reviews and Listings (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/09/29/app-store-changes-in-reviews-and-listings/).

JWBlue
Feb 26, 2009, 12:01 PM
See App Store Changes in Reviews and Listings (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/09/29/app-store-changes-in-reviews-and-listings/).

That post was made on

Monday September 29, 2008 11:50 AM EST; Category: iPhone

What am I missing here? That was over 5 months ago.

mstream2008
Feb 26, 2009, 12:36 PM
That post was made on

Monday September 29, 2008 11:50 AM EST; Category: iPhone

What am I missing here? That was over 5 months ago.
Five months ago it was forbidden to post reviews about apps you did not own. But previous, 'non-owners' reviews (made before September 27th) still remained.

But I'm talking about REMOVAL of existing non-owner reviews. Today I've noticed that the number of reviews for many apps decreased, in some cases it is obvious that the reviews such as 'vote if I have to buy this' or 'this must be free' were removed.
It seems Apple started to remove 'fake non-owners' reviews. Has anyone noticed that too?

nottooshabby
Feb 26, 2009, 12:49 PM
Five months ago it was forbidden to post reviews about apps you did not own. But previous, 'non-owners' reviews (made before September 27th) still remained.

But I'm talking about REMOVAL of existing non-owner reviews. Today I've noticed that the number of reviews for many apps decreased, in some cases it is obvious that the reviews such as 'vote if I have to buy this' or 'this must be free' were removed.
It seems Apple started to remove 'fake non-owners' reviews. Has anyone noticed that too?

Yup, I noticed this too. A couple of my reviews disappeared, one being just a commentary and not even a review, so I'm glad to see it's gone!

JWBlue
Feb 26, 2009, 01:09 PM

Yes, noticed that a few days ago with my apps as well. Over 20 reviews removed. Ridiculous.

I was wondering why Doctor Q posted a link that seem to have no relevance to your OP.

firewood
Feb 26, 2009, 01:24 PM
Yes. Apple appears to have cleaned out a whole bunch of old bad reviews from the U.S. store. The ones saying that apps should be 99c or free.

Did anyone lose a good review from an actual customer?

Doctor Q
Feb 26, 2009, 06:39 PM
This is indeed a new change by Apple. See Apple Removes Old Non-Customer Reviews from App Store (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/02/26/apple-removes-old-non-customer-reviews-from-app-store/).