PDA

View Full Version : Midway Games files Chapter 11

XnavxeMiyyep
Feb 26, 2009, 01:01 PM
FATALITY!

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=32992

GoCubsGo
Feb 26, 2009, 01:03 PM
What? "FATALITY" Seriously, Chapter 11 is just a re-org. It's not like a 7 where it's a full liquidation worthy of a response such as "FATALITY".

It sucks, the end is probably near but I wouldn't jump to saying it's a "FATALITY" just yet.

I mean it says it in the first sentence ...
Midway Games on Thursday filed for bankruptcy protection in an effort to restructure debt as its new owners consider the company’s next move.

P-Worm
Feb 26, 2009, 01:13 PM
What? "FATALITY" Seriously, Chapter 11 is just a re-org. It's not like a 7 where it's a full liquidation worthy of a response such as "FATALITY".

It sucks, the end is probably near but I wouldn't jump to saying it's a "FATALITY" just yet.

I mean it says it in the first sentence ...

It was a joke referring to the fact that Midway makes Mortal Kombat - the game that made 'Fatality' a popular term.

And yes, the joke was awesome.

P-Worm

GoCubsGo
Feb 26, 2009, 01:15 PM
:o I totally missed that!

/professional jessica leaves.

Dagless
Feb 26, 2009, 03:46 PM
Meh, they were relevant years back with Mortal Kombat but that series really fell apart. Lacked the hidden depth of Street Fighter but still ultra fun.

jzuena
Feb 26, 2009, 04:00 PM
Meh, they were relevant years back with Mortal Kombat but that series really fell apart. Lacked the hidden depth of Street Fighter but still ultra fun.

Mortal Kombat isn't the only big game Midway made. Their's is a huge list of old school video and pinball games. They were the US distributor of Space Invaders, Pac Man, and Ms. Pac Man. They own the Defender series, Galaxian, Galaga, Gauntlet, the Joust series, the Spy Hunter series and others that I remember as a kid. They also own the software division from Atari as well as some of their own games for the Atari 2600.

I don't know what they've done lately (I don't even remember any new pinball machines with the Williams name in a long time), other than release different Greatest Hits compilations for Xbox and Playstation. Maybe this means someone else will get the rights to produce more of said Greatest Hits games, since it doesn't look like they are making anything new.

Dagless
Feb 26, 2009, 05:11 PM
I know what they've done, I'm a dev myself. Just the only game of theirs I've enjoyed was Mortal Kombat 1-3 (Amiga+Mega Drive versions. Even though the Amiga one was the visually closest to the arcade originals but lacked control).

Abstract
Feb 26, 2009, 05:14 PM
Mortal Kombat isn't the only big game Midway made. Their's is a huge list of old school video and pinball games. They were the US distributor of Space Invaders, Pac Man, and Ms. Pac Man. They own the Defender series, Galaxian, Galaga, Gauntlet, the Joust series, the Spy Hunter series and others that I remember as a kid.

But those are the games places still charge only $0.25 for. To make it today, you need to make games that can bring in $1 per play. :o

Mr. lax
Feb 26, 2009, 08:02 PM

This is extremely true

velocityg4
Feb 27, 2009, 08:36 AM
For me the biggest failing in the Mortal Combat series was when they switched from using actors to CGI. That was what drew me to the game, people getting a Fatality. Once it was CGI it did not stand out from Tekken, Soul Calibur, or the many other 2D animated and 3D fighter games.

I had Mortal Combat 1-3 but was irritated at the loss of the actors, I never tried the others.

barkmonster
Feb 28, 2009, 09:04 AM
Finish Him!

jzuena
Feb 28, 2009, 05:42 PM
But those are the games places still charge only $0.25 for. To make it today, you need to make games that can bring in $1 per play. :o

I've seen some places try to push it to 50 or more for some of these... of course, the machines sat lonely because of it :cool:

.Andy
Feb 28, 2009, 07:02 PM
For me the biggest failing in the Mortal Combat series was when they switched from using actors to CGI. That was what drew me to the game, people getting a Fatality
They had to change to CGI because they ran out of actors.

ravenvii
Feb 28, 2009, 08:34 PM
For me the biggest failing in the Mortal Combat series was when they switched from using actors to CGI. That was what drew me to the game, people getting a Fatality. Once it was CGI it did not stand out from Tekken, Soul Calibur, or the many other 2D animated and 3D fighter games.

I had Mortal Combat 1-3 but was irritated at the loss of the actors, I never tried the others.

100% agreed. But it's not the real actors-to-CGI that killed the series, it's going from 2D to 3D that did it. Mortal Kombat didn't make the 3D jump well.

They had to change to CGI because they ran out of actors.

Ha-ha.

apsterling
Mar 4, 2009, 10:35 PM
They did San Francisco Rush. That game was a great racer.
And Toasty wasthe best fatality.

.Andy
Mar 4, 2009, 11:20 PM
They did San Francisco Rush. That game was a great racer.
It sure was awesome. I remember this game totally taking me by surprise and playing it hours on end.