PDA

View Full Version : iPhone UK Sales Reach 1 Million Mark

MacRumors
Feb 26, 2009, 01:26 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/02/26/iphone-uk-sales-reach-1-million-mark/)

As part of an earnings release (http://www.o2.com/media/press_releases/press_release_14368.asp) covering the fourth quarter of 2008, Telefónica Europe announced that their O2 subsidiary in the UK has now sold over one million iPhones since the launch of the original iPhone in November 2007 (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/09/european-iphone-launches-germany-uk/).

O2 pointed to the iPhone as one of the key components driving its performance, which was significantly better than the overall UK wireless market in all main financial and operating metrics. In particular, O2 highlighted the growth of its prepay segment, driven in part by the addition of prepaid iPhone offerings late in the quarter.

Article Link: iPhone UK Sales Reach 1 Million Mark (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/02/26/iphone-uk-sales-reach-1-million-mark/)

big_malk
Feb 26, 2009, 02:00 PM
Anyone know what the figures are for the whole UK mobile market to get some perspective on that?
I had a wee Google for it but couldn't find anything.

First post :)

yetanotherdave
Feb 26, 2009, 02:01 PM
To put it in some perspective, there are 60m people in the UK http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uk one iPhone sold for every 60 people in the UK. That's pretty incredible market penetration - especially when hampered by O2's lousy coverage compared to the like of Vodafone.

talkingfuture
Feb 26, 2009, 02:11 PM
To put it in some perspective, there are 60m people in the UK http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uk one iPhone sold for every 60 people in the UK. That's pretty incredible market penetration - especially when hampered by O2's lousy coverage compared to the like of Vodafone.

I was just thinking that as I read the article, 1 in 60 is astonishing. I'm getting more tempted to buy one every day.

elppa
Feb 26, 2009, 03:04 PM
1.6% of the UK population.

Not too bad.

Reminded me of when other operators bad mouthed O2 and Matthew Key for signing the Apple deal:

One rival even claimed O2 had struck a ''madly money- losing" deal. When I ask Key, a former accountant and finance director of O2 UK, about that comment, he snorts, pauses, and deadpans: ''It's sour grapes. We don't sign bad deals."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/markets/2818759/Matthew-Key-opens-door-to-iPhone-in-the-UK.html)

OllyW
Feb 26, 2009, 03:12 PM
Anyone know what the figures are for the whole UK mobile market to get some perspective on that?

Does this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_mobile_phones_in_use) help?

In 2007, the UK had a 116% market saturation, 70 million mobile phones from a population of 61 million.

elppa
Feb 26, 2009, 03:41 PM
Does this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_mobile_phones_in_use) help?

In 2007, the UK had a 116% market saturation, 70 million mobile phones from a population of 61 million.

Amazingly, that figure is beaten by three countries: Germany, Italy and Russia.

kdarling
Feb 26, 2009, 03:49 PM
We have to factor in that the sales number counts the original model as well.

In the US, at least, quite a few of the 3G sales were to original owners. In other words, quite a lot of sales were to the same person.

So the percentage by population is less, perhaps much less, than figured above... though still respectable.

sjo
Feb 26, 2009, 03:52 PM

to give you some reference point, nokia n95 was introduced in uk in march 2007, and passed 1m mark on november 2007. so that's about 8-9 months, vs iphone 16 months.

MATTHEWLONG
Feb 26, 2009, 04:04 PM
If only O2 wasnt such a bad network. What percentage were 3g?. Does 2g really count, I was always waiting for 3g.

elppa
Feb 26, 2009, 04:14 PM

In the US, at least, quite a few of the 3G sales were to original owners. In other words, quite a lot of sales were to the same person.

So the percentage by population is less, perhaps much less, than figured above... though still respectable.

Particularly as I was calculating it based on a population of 60, not 70 million (which is probably more accurate).

Having said that many 3G upgraders may have passed their phones on and O2 and Apple were actively encouraging this, so the amount sold may be fairly close to the amount in use.

Neerazan
Feb 26, 2009, 04:24 PM

I have a 1st gen iPhone that a friend gave me when he upgraded to the 3G model last summer. It is unlikely that many people put their old iPhones in a desk drawer when they upgraded, and O2 offer a pay as you go sim-only pack for such a circumstance.

There are as of now over 1 million iPhones that have been sold in the UK, and apart from a few broken ones, I would expect almost every single one to be in service as of now.

UK phone suppliers have been moving away from a 12 month renewal cycle to an 18 or 24 month cycle over the past two years to help offset the subsidies they are having to increase on handsets, so the iPhone in the UK has another 3 months to go before it has been available for what is now 1 whole contract cycle (18 months).

Many of those 70 million phones that are said to be 'in use' are cheap and cheerful pay as you go emergency-only phones for kids or older people, many more are business mobiles provided by companies with little or no choice for the end user.

Put in this context, the depth of penetration of the iPhone in the UK is phenomenal. I have many friends who are Mac sceptics who have now got iPhones, and without exception they all agree that it is the single best tech purchase they have ever made...

...and they are telling their friends. The word of mouth on this product is unlike anything I have ever seen in the tech world, it literally sells itself.

MacToddB
Feb 26, 2009, 06:01 PM

And when you consider 11 million are under 16 and 11 million are "of pensionable age" (including 3 million over 80), not to be too ageist, but that's probably about 1 in 50 (or maybe 1 in 40) cellphone buyers choosing an iPhone.

"The number of people of state pensionable age - over 65 for men and over 60 for women - rose by 1.9% last year to 11.58 million. They account for 19% of the population, overtaking the 11.5 million children under the age of 16."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/aug/22/population.socialtrends

happydude
Feb 26, 2009, 06:24 PM

planned obsolescence in its purest form. keep people buying the same product over and over . . . and none better at it than apple!

megfilmworks
Feb 26, 2009, 06:35 PM
planned obsolescence in its purest form. keep people buying the same product over and over . . . and none better at it than apple!If it was the "same product" then it would not be obsolete!:confused:

macinfojunkie
Feb 26, 2009, 06:59 PM
to give you some reference point, nokia n95 was introduced in uk in march 1997, and passed 1m mark on november 1997. so that's about 8-9 months, vs iphone 16 months.

A hell of a lot of early adopters for that Nokia. :)

bigandy
Feb 26, 2009, 07:07 PM
That's a hell of a lot of early adopters for the Nokia. :)

I was just thinking that. Who were all these people that got N95s ten years before general release.... :rolleyes:

Willis
Feb 26, 2009, 09:35 PM
when you consider that there has been 10 million iPhones sold worldwide, 1 million in the UK alone is a huge number

MacToddB
Feb 26, 2009, 09:58 PM
when you consider that there has been 10 million iPhones sold worldwide, 1 million in the UK alone is a huge number

Not to take away from the UK sales, but keep in mind that Apple hit 10 million in late 2008, and had a run rate of 7 million in 3 months. And that was before the holiday season.

Actually, according to their statement, they sold 6.1 million 1st gens, and 6.9 million 3G's by the end of September, 2008. So that's 13 million, again before the holiday shopping season.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008/10/21results.html

johnsmclean
Feb 27, 2009, 01:06 AM
I have a 1st gen iPhone that a friend gave me when he upgraded to the 3G model last summer. It is unlikely that many people put their old iPhones in a desk drawer when they upgraded, and O2 offer a pay as you go sim-only pack for such a circumstance.

There are as of now over 1 million iPhones that have been sold in the UK, and apart from a few broken ones, I would expect almost every single one to be in service as of now.

UK phone suppliers have been moving away from a 12 month renewal cycle to an 18 or 24 month cycle over the past two years to help offset the subsidies they are having to increase on handsets, so the iPhone in the UK has another 3 months to go before it has been available for what is now 1 whole contract cycle (18 months).

Many of those 70 million phones that are said to be 'in use' are cheap and cheerful pay as you go emergency-only phones for kids or older people, many more are business mobiles provided by companies with little or no choice for the end user.

Put in this context, the depth of penetration of the iPhone in the UK is phenomenal. I have many friends who are Mac sceptics who have now got iPhones, and without exception they all agree that it is the single best tech purchase they have ever made...

...and they are telling their friends. The word of mouth on this product is unlike anything I have ever seen in the tech world, it literally sells itself.

Many of my students have them, about a third of my colleagues have them. Not that surprising since youngish and tech savvy. But interestingly in my boy's football team two of the dad's have them, a welder and a truck driver. These are guys that don't use Macs and would never buy a Blueberry or similar so it is attractive to a range of people.

The welder and truck driver love their iPhones but don't know why you can't forward text messages !

Malcster
Feb 27, 2009, 04:22 AM
to give you some reference point, nokia n95 was introduced in uk in march 2007, and passed 1m mark on november 2007. so that's about 8-9 months, vs iphone 16 months.

The N95 was free on most contracts though, the original iPhone was £279 (500ish dollars) That would make most people (apart from apple nutjobs like me) think twice ;)

robbieduncan
Feb 27, 2009, 04:35 AM
Amazingly, that figure is beaten by three countries: Germany, Italy and Russia.

I know a few people here in the UK with 2 or even 3 active phones/SIMs...

redgaz26
Feb 27, 2009, 04:51 AM
I remember that cold November day when I waited in line for four hours!!!
now everyone has one:rolleyes:

godaz
Feb 27, 2009, 05:02 AM
I remember that cold November day when I waited in line for four hours!!!
now everyone has one:rolleyes:

haha, i feel the same although Im prepared to wait in line for the new one still :rolleyes:

wolfie37
Feb 27, 2009, 05:09 AM

Where do you get your information from, O2's coverage is excellent, it's the reason why I have stuck with them whilst colleagues on Orange, Vodafone and other networks struggle for consistent service across the country.

abrooks
Feb 27, 2009, 07:15 AM
Where do you get your information from, O2's coverage is excellent, it's the reason why I have stuck with them whilst colleagues on Orange, Vodafone and other networks struggle for consistent service across the country.

I'll second that.

Schtumple
Feb 27, 2009, 07:23 AM

Also means 1 out of every 60 people has an iPhone, I'm sure there's bigger statistics for other Nokia phones, but if you think that this is Apples 1st and 2nd phone, EVER, it's a pretty good statistic.

Chicane-UK
Feb 27, 2009, 07:43 AM
I'm not surprised the number is as high as it is. Looking at it from a very narrow point of view - I have an iPhone, i've personally (successfully) plugged the iPhone to 3 friends who've each bought one. I know another 5 or 6 people with iPhone's and know of another couple planning to buy one in the very near future. And that's just in an immediate circle of friends and co-workers.

If they got to the point where the iPhone was free on contract with O2 I reckon their market penetration would go through the roof.

DoubleU
Feb 27, 2009, 07:51 AM
I'll second that.

My girlfriend got my old 1st Gen iphone when we moved to Newcastle because the reception was better than what she was getting with her Orange phone. She hadn't been interested in it before because it was "too technical" and it had been lying in its box for a couple of months. Now she trawls the App Store for free games all the time and she recommends the iPhone to everyone.

gathart
Feb 27, 2009, 08:46 AM
If only O2 wasnt such a bad network. What percentage were 3g?. Does 2g really count, I was always waiting for 3g.

Bad network? Compaired to other networks O2 gives methe best local coverage.

Willis
Feb 27, 2009, 09:31 AM
That's pretty incredible market penetration - especially when hampered by O2's lousy coverage compared to the like of Vodafone.

Ever used 3 Mobile? Ironically, it uses 02's network, but the signal is simply appalling. In my house, I get a better 02 signal than I ever did with 3 Mobile

armhol
Feb 27, 2009, 09:34 AM
It is unlikely that many people put their old iPhones in a desk drawer when they upgraded, and O2 offer a pay as you go sim-only pack for such a circumstance.

This sounds like just what i need. Can you tell me more details? Does it include a data plan?

daneoni
Feb 27, 2009, 10:12 AM
Only because they offered a PAYG option and the added 3G HSDPA

elppa
Feb 27, 2009, 04:42 PM

Whilst that statistic that clearly indicates the N95 is 2x more successful and popular than the iPhone in the UK I don't think that tells the whole story. I also don't think it gives an accurate indicator of how well Apple and Nokia respectively are positioned to take advantage of the expanding smart phone market in the future.

Nokia established its name for mobile phones decades before Apple entered the market and have huge market share in all of Europe, no less so than in the UK.

For Apple to reach the 1m with their first two revisions of iPhone and establish a new platform in 16 months is impressive. Throw in iPod touch sales (not an iPhone, but still the OS X mobile wifi platform) and those 1m N95s in 16 don't look so good after all.

yetanotherdave
Feb 27, 2009, 06:51 PM

Personal experience. Wherever we go (Bristol area mainly) I am either on a very weak signal or out of service, where my wife's phone on vodafone always has at least 4 bars of 3g. Inside buildings like shops seems to be especially bad compared to Vodafone.

According to O2's map, I am in a good 3g area, I have a GPRS only connection.

wolfie37
Feb 28, 2009, 07:02 AM
Personal experience. Wherever we go (Bristol area mainly) I am either on a very weak signal or out of service, where my wife's phone on vodafone always has at least 4 bars of 3g. Inside buildings like shops seems to be especially bad compared to Vodafone.

According to O2's map, I am in a good 3g area, I have a GPRS only connection.

OK so seems to be a local issue where you are, I just know from travelling around the country I find that my O2 coverage is better than anyone with Vodafone and especially Orange.

OllyW
Feb 28, 2009, 07:07 AM
If they got to the point where the iPhone was free on contract with O2 I reckon their market penetration would go through the roof.

It already is free on the £45+ contracts. :confused:

cb31
Feb 28, 2009, 07:22 AM
Imagine how many they would sell if they dropped the rapacious monthly charges.

barkmonster
Feb 28, 2009, 07:39 AM
The N95 was free on most contracts though, the original iPhone was £279 (500ish dollars) That would make most people (apart from apple nutjobs like me) think twice ;)

The average person who still wants to exchange videos with friends via bluetooth, set anything they want as a ring tone, send the odd multimedia message while having access to their email and a mobile web brower wouldn't touch an iPhone with all it's feature restrictions and DRM if they had the choice of the N95, N96 etc...

I'm on a Nokia 6800 still and even though I love my mac and I love my iPod, my next phone will definitely be something from the N9* series of Nokia phones, not an iPhone. Unless there's an iPhone 3 at some stage that corrects all the short-comings of the platform. A lot of people in the UK that are too used to the functionality that smart phone's have offered for over 5 years now are going to be choosing something from Nokia or Sony

Prenvo
Mar 1, 2009, 01:29 PM

Their 3G coverage is really awful where I am (in London) - it'll be full bars one minute and then I'll walk about 100 metres and it'll just drop or revert to GPRS (no EDGE in between). Needless to say cellular isn't *awesome* for streaming radio for me!

I was with 3 with my mobile and mobile broadband for years before getting my iPhone and they had pretty much constant 3G wherever I went :(

I love Wi-Fi.

johnnyjibbs
Mar 2, 2009, 03:44 AM

Yes, but in the UK the original did not come out until end of November 2007 remember, 5 months later than the US, and a mere 7 months or so before the new version. It was also so much more expensive (£269/£329 instead of free) that not many people bought it. Most UK iPhone sales will have been 3G models.

matty2345
Mar 2, 2009, 04:24 AM
Ever used 3 Mobile? Ironically, it uses 02's network, but the signal is simply appalling. In my house, I get a better 02 signal than I ever did with 3 Mobile

3 actually use the Orange network, they used to use O2, but not anymore :)

Neerazan
Mar 2, 2009, 05:42 AM
This sounds like just what i need. Can you tell me more details? Does it include a data plan?

You can pick up a pay as you go sim from any O2 store as far as I know... All you can eat data is £10 a month, and since I'm still in contract on my other phone, that's all I use it for at present.

In answer to the varied complaints about mobile network coverage from various UK providers, the issue is no longer the area of coverage so much as the bandwidth available. This means you can be stood pretty much on top of one of their masts and still get dropped calls because of the number of phones attempting to use that mast. This said, the more rural bits of the UK I visit tend to have crappy 3G!

The Phazer
Mar 2, 2009, 07:59 AM
Objectively according to Ofcom O2's 3G coverage is the weakest by coverage of the population of any of the mobile networks, though there isn't a great deal in it to be frank.

The amount of network errors I have on Edge with my O2 iPhone is somewhat depressing, and I'd find it hard to believe anyone else would be as bad.

Phazer

twoodcc
Mar 2, 2009, 12:20 PM
glad to see that the iphone has hit 1 million in the UK. hopefully it'll take less time to get to 2 million

Trishul
Mar 3, 2009, 07:22 AM

just to give you another option... i sold my old iphone for £230 in december on eBay, in essence i pretty much got paid to upgrade to the 3G!! :)

susanspy
Mar 3, 2009, 09:46 AM
hello all i thnik so iphone is going to be the phone of the future infact i would rather say it has become the phone of the futre already the 3 to 4 million mark quite easily.

cheers!!!!!!!!!!!:)

keyword tools (http://www.keywordspy.com.au)~search keywords (http://www.keywordspy.ca)
Keyword Tracking Tool (http://www.keywordspy.co.in)~overture tool (http://www.keywordspy.it)

Peruvian
Mar 3, 2009, 12:05 PM
Just out of curiousity, how any units have blackberry sold compared to the iphone?

ethical
Mar 4, 2009, 02:50 PM
1 millions in the UK is a pretty big number! as said, 1 in every 60 people.... but that includes babies, toddlers, the very old... so reallly i'd say its more like 1/45 phone users. That's pretty impressive if you ask me, considering apple dont have a long chain of phones.

mrtrilby
Mar 5, 2009, 12:08 PM
Regarding coverage, I agree that O2's 3G coverage is pretty unimpressive. However, for the basic stuff, like just making a phone call, they seem one of the best. My wife's company recently ported en-masse over from O2 to Vodafone. They're now porting people back to O2, such has been the volume of complaints about Vodafone's service. On a regular 120 mile journey using major roads, her Vodafone would lose signal entirely several times. We don't lose O2 service once over that entire journey.

northy014
Mar 5, 2009, 01:09 PM
Also means 1 out of every 60 people has an iPhone, I'm sure there's bigger statistics for other Nokia phones, but if you think that this is Apples 1st and 2nd phone, EVER, it's a pretty good statistic.

Also, many people, like the very young and the elderly are less likely to have advanced mobile phones, so the figure is perhaps even better.

BergerFan
Mar 7, 2009, 05:07 AM
1 millions in the UK is a pretty big number! as said, 1 in every 60 people.... but that includes babies, toddlers, the very old... so reallly i'd say its more like 1/45 phone users. That's pretty impressive if you ask me, considering apple dont have a long chain of phones.Exactly. Apple only sells one model at any one time, unlike the other companies, who sell a myriad of phones at any one time. I'm sure that's another reason for success - one phone, a simple choice for the consumer.