PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair may charge for toilet use

rdowns
Feb 27, 2009, 06:32 AM
Talk about dumping on your customers.

Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090227/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_ryanair_toilet;_ylt=AgOpU.INXnM1FIMm16ln3Pqs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTFmbmEwYXViBHBvcwMyMDQEc2VjA2FjY 29yZGlvbl9vZGRfbmV3cwRzbGsDcnlhbmFpcm1heWNo)

LONDON (Reuters) Irish carrier Ryanair, Europe's largest budget airline, might start charging passengers for using the toilet while flying, chief executive Michael O'Leary said on Friday.

"One thing we have looked at in the past and are looking at again is the possibility of maybe putting a coin slot on the toilet door so that people might actually have to spend a pound to spend a penny in future," he told BBC television.

He said this would not inconvenience passengers travelling without cash. "I don't think there is anybody in history that has got on board a Ryanair aircraft with less than a pound."

O'Leary has a reputation as a cost cutter, expanding Ryanair by offering low headline fares and charging extra for items such as additional luggage.

Last week, Ryanair announced it was to shut all check-in desks at airports and have passengers check in online instead.

"We're all about finding ways of raising discretionary revenue so we can keep lowering the cost of air travel," he said.

dalvin200
Feb 27, 2009, 06:35 AM
what if you have no change?

what about babies?

this is the most stupidest idea i have ever heard!!

next they'll be charging to breathe... or is that included in the price already? ;)

edesignuk
Feb 27, 2009, 06:38 AM
Ryanair may wind up with poop in the aisles.

xUKHCx
Feb 27, 2009, 06:49 AM
"I don't think there is anybody in history that has got on board a Ryanair aircraft with less than a pound."

I have. :o

my wind

Farting will still be free :D

What in case of emergency when fumbling around for a 1 is the last thing on your mind.

I would imagine those slots on the door would get jammed with toilet paper pretty quick and people would just hold the door open for others.

There is only so far you can push people before someone snaps.

The last time I flew with ryanair my free flights cost me 30. I had to pay 5 so I could pay :eek:

I hate Ryanair although not as much as I hate Monarch.

petemwah
Feb 27, 2009, 06:53 AM
absolutely disgusting idea, i for one would never fly with them again if they started charging me for going to the loo. what next?! having to pay for a lifejacket in an emergency???

greedy bastards!

robbieduncan
Feb 27, 2009, 06:55 AM
I actually saw the interview as it was broadcast. I don't think it was an entirely serious comment, although when called on it by the BBC interviewers he did try and defend the idea by pointing out that you need 20p to have a piss at Liverpool Street station.

To be honest the whole interview was a farce as the BBC had, not for the first time, it's facts very wrong. They started off giving him a hard time for moving to ban hold luggage. Which is not what they are doing at all: you can still put bags in the hold, but you cannot check-in at the airport.

yoyo5280
Feb 27, 2009, 07:01 AM
Hmm...somehow I imagine the little coin slot-locked door not stopping changless people from doing their business.

Just more publicly in barf bags...get money from toilet on one flight, loose it buying extra bags.

talkingfuture
Feb 27, 2009, 07:03 AM
I don't know what the service is like, but I have never heard anything about Ryanair that would make me want to fly with them.

Arran
Feb 27, 2009, 08:04 AM
...Farting will still be free :D ...

Yeah, but only because the cheapskates need combustible gas to power the engines :D

Abstract
Feb 27, 2009, 09:45 AM
The flight attendants should get a bonus for what they need to clean up off my seat.

notjustjay
Feb 27, 2009, 10:34 AM
They still provide free barf bags, right?

Problem solved.

Osarkon
Feb 27, 2009, 10:59 AM
They still provide free barf bags, right?

Problem solved.

Just wait, there'll be a charge of 1.50 for them next to stop customers using this alternative.

oscillatewildly
Feb 27, 2009, 11:06 AM
It's cheap advertising through news channels.

alFR
Feb 27, 2009, 12:01 PM
Which is not what they are doing at all: you can still put bags in the hold, but you cannot check-in at the airport.

Isn't checking your bags in kind of an essential prerequisite to getting them in the hold? :confused: All other airlines I've flown with don't let you check in online if you have hold baggage (presumably for security) so how exactly will Ryanair manage it?

Mind you, doesn't matter to me: after a few things I've heard about them recently I'd not fly with them again if you paid me.

woolyback
Feb 27, 2009, 03:20 PM
Isn't checking your bags in kind of an essential prerequisite to getting them in the hold? :confused: All other airlines I've flown with don't let you check in online if you have hold baggage (presumably for security) so how exactly will Ryanair manage it?

I've flown with a few airlines that use an automated system (a touch screen system in the airport) that prints out the bag tag, you attach it to your bag and dump it at a dedicated bag drop desk.

Easy, and actually a lot better than queuing behind some of the numpties I get stuck behind :rolleyes:

NT1440
Feb 27, 2009, 03:23 PM
A lawsuit waiting to happen if there ever was one.

Theres no way this will work. You can't really keep people from using bathrooms.

Unspeaked
Feb 27, 2009, 03:26 PM
It's all about the wording.

They're not keeping anyone from going, just from doing it in the toilet.

Big difference (for all the passengers, I must say).

Osarkon
Feb 27, 2009, 03:29 PM
A lawsuit waiting to happen if there ever was one.

Theres no way this will work. You can't really keep people from using bathrooms.

Well they're not really, they're just charging. I suppose the same could be said about charging for public toilets?

Or would it fall under a different category because you're in a confined space up in the air with no alternative?

NT1440
Feb 27, 2009, 03:33 PM
Well they're not really, they're just charging. I suppose the same could be said about charging for public toilets?

Or would it fall under a different category because you're in a confined space up in the air with no alternative?

That would be it.

aethelbert
Feb 27, 2009, 03:45 PM
Not surprising. Question is, how long until Mr. O'Leary pulls a charge for leaving through an emergency exit out of his magic hat?

alexlovesmacs
Feb 27, 2009, 10:17 PM
haha this soon will happen to all airlines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSJwzYiB_Pc

Abstract
Feb 28, 2009, 12:08 AM
"[Abstract], did you eat a lot of peanuts and corn before you got on the airplane?"

"Um......uhhhh.........yes."

djellison
Feb 28, 2009, 06:12 AM
I don't know what the service is like, but I have never heard anything about Ryanair that would make me want to fly with them.

I gave Ryanair 20. They flew me from East Midlands Airport (which is very local) to Dublin (where I wanted to go) on time. I had a row of three seats to myself both ways. I was able to walk straight through to security, and off the plane straight out the airport. The plane was clean, on time, comfortable.

For 20 - I don't know what more people could ask for. I think their current level of charging is just about justified- you take more, you pay more. Simple. I would balk at a quid for a visit to the bog however. That would make me look elsewhere, just on principle. It would be annoying - as other airlines aren't quite as cheap or convenient for the flights I make.

Dagless
Feb 28, 2009, 09:50 AM
http://s2.b3ta.com/host/creative/38688/1235740297/card.jpg

Thanks b3ta.

yg17
Feb 28, 2009, 10:54 AM

Mind you, doesn't matter to me: after a few things I've heard about them recently I'd not fly with them again if you paid me.

With every airline I've flown, you can still check in online, but when you get to the airport, you have to use an automated kiosks or check-in person to tag your baggage and take it.

Since you still have to do that with online checkin, there's no real advantage to checking in online if you have checked baggage, except for Southwest Airlines, where the people who check in earliest get to board earliest and get a better selection of seats. But OLCI is great if you just have carryon, as you can print your boarding pass at home and head straight to security when you arrive at the airport.

mkrishnan
Feb 28, 2009, 10:59 AM
I gave Ryanair 20. They flew me from East Midlands Airport (which is very local) to Dublin (where I wanted to go) on time. I had a row of three seats to myself both ways.

It would seem that the pair of empty seats in your row would be worth ... a good forty trips to the loo.