PDA

View Full Version : Man Making Millions Selling Real Estate - on the Moon

Sun Baked
Mar 29, 2004, 09:32 PM
Nice to see the old inexpensive undeveloped properties back on the market, cheap.Man making millions selling real estate - on the moon (http://www.azcentral.com/business/articles/0329moonsale-ON.html#)

Deborah Hastings
Associated Press
Mar. 29, 2004 08:15 AM

GARDNERVILLE, Nev. - On U.S. Highway 395, which cuts straight through this little town, Dennis Hope sells undeveloped land for the bargain price of $19.99 an acre. There are spacious lots near grand locales: The Sea of Tranquility. The Sea of Serenity.

Not a neighbor in sight, all the way to the horizon.

Granted, there is no air and no water. The daytime high: 225 degrees. The nighttime low: minus-245 degrees.

Behold the moon, Hope's real estate boon. Millions have already purchased prime parcels. They have nicely framed certificates to prove it...

[delete to end]

Doctor Q
Mar 29, 2004, 09:48 PM
How many parcels have McDonalds and Starbucks purchased so far?

I don't need land on the moon, thank you. I want a piece of Loihi (http://volcano.und.nodak.edu/vwdocs/volc_images/north_america/hawaii/loihi.html)!

wdlove
Mar 29, 2004, 10:00 PM
Buying land on the moon should be better than having a star named after you. At least the property would be closer. Who knows you might actually be able to visit sometime in the future

coopdog
Mar 29, 2004, 10:20 PM
It is just a scam. All you are buying is a offical looking plaque. :rolleyes: Some are pretty expensive. Or the people that think it would be cool to buy a ton of land like 10-100 land plots for $20 a pop. And it costs the guy hosing, shipping, and .10 for some peice of paper and a frame from china.

MongoTheGeek
Mar 30, 2004, 07:41 AM
It all depends on who sets up the first colony there and how they handle "his" parcels. It could be that the claims will be declared abandoned. It could be that who ever makes the moon base, buys the land from him and legitimizes the claims. If not there will be a long intricate court battle.

javabear90
Mar 30, 2004, 09:13 AM
nice... very nice........
gemme 10,000 ;)

ExoticFish
Mar 30, 2004, 09:27 AM
i bought the Brooklyn Bridge a while back, got a good price on it too.

billyboy
Mar 30, 2004, 10:13 AM
i bought the Brooklyn Bridge a while back, got a good price on it too. Sure it was the right Brooklyn Bridge? You're not the guy who took London Bridge to Havisu City are you?

Opteron
Mar 31, 2004, 01:32 AM
For $20US an acre I'd be in.

crenz
Mar 31, 2004, 07:15 AM
There was a thread recently about people who complained against the US making use of "their" land on the moon :).

Mr. Anderson
Mar 31, 2004, 08:32 AM
There was a thread recently about people who complained against the US making use of "their" land on the moon :).

You have a link to that? That's just great :D

As a novelty, having a framed 'Deed' to land on the moon would be fun. But by the time you can actually get there, you won't be alive.

And I don't think these deeds will hold up in court - when it comes down to that.

I remember when we were sending Pathfinder (I think) there was a bit of ruckus from a religious group claiming that Mars was theirs and that the US hadn't asked their permission to land the rover on their property.....:D

D

jxyama
Mar 31, 2004, 08:48 AM
isn't there some sort of an international agreement that the outer space and objects in it cannot be claimed as any country's domain, much like antarctica?

jsw
Mar 31, 2004, 10:27 AM
This is fundamentally the same as services that name a star after you.

Few people expect it to be worth anything, and those who do are likely to lose money to simple scams their entire lives.

Sedulous
Mar 31, 2004, 11:18 AM
There is/was another guy from Australia doing the same a few years ago. Even if these guys don't know what they are doing is invalid it seems fairly presumptuous. In fact, didn't the world agree that the moon has no "owner"?

MongoTheGeek
Mar 31, 2004, 11:54 AM
isn't there some sort of an international agreement that the outer space and objects in it cannot be claimed as any country's domain, much like antarctica?

Right. No country can claim it. At least none of the signatories to the treaty. The guy uses the treaty as proof that individuals can claim it. Sort of applying the logic of the 10th amendment. All powers not reserved for the federal government or not forbidden to the states are given to the states and people.

MrMacMan
Mar 31, 2004, 11:31 PM
Excuse me.

The Sovereign Right of MrMacMan gives him full control over the mood, and therefore the tides!

If you do not give me $100 a day for the next infinite amount of years you -- will -- be -- DOOMED!

mwhaha.

Sun Baked
Apr 1, 2004, 12:08 PM
Excuse me.

The Sovereign Right of MrMacMan gives him full control over the mood, and therefore the tides!

If you do not give me $100 a day for the next infinite amount of years you -- will -- be -- DOOMED!

mwhaha.I think I'll buy me a mood ring for $1.00 or grab one of those stress cards for free at the next local expo, and call Mr. Moody's attempt to gain control of the world's mood, a failure in my corner of it.

Unless Mr. Moody is going to control when women are "in the mood" -- in that case he may destroy us all. :eek: