Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeeJay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
i bought an ibook 700mhz one and a half year ago.
3 months of used i made a mistake (locked the system board by set the network as a startup disk, and it required a password to startup the system that nobody or apple dealers in indonesia knows) which they had to replace with the new board and they did.

everything went great until 2 days ago, my ibook screen acting weird, it suddenly screw up, showing lines in different colors and then its goes dark. i tried to restart but same thing happened again. so i bring it to the place where i bought, and they said it most likely to be the vga card problem.

this is really scare me off, i dont have any warranty left and its just one and half years old. they said if vga card is the problem, they had to replace the whole motherboard/logicboard......again?

They havent call me back about my ibook yet, and im still waiting if its the vga card or else which cause the problem. Does anyone know how bad it is?

DeeJay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
wow thanks alot people. i didnt know what to to without your infomation, with this prove im sure they wont cheat me this time. :)

nargot

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
Australia
DeeJay said:
wow thanks alot people. i didnt know what to to without your infomation, with this prove im sure they wont cheat me this time. :)
if they try to screw you over (i'm sure they will try) just point them to the apple ibook g3 logic board replacement page!

DeeJay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
yes, they tried.
I went to the store in the morning and asked about my ibook, they said its the logic board, and i have to replace with the new one. and it cost about $800. Luckly i print out the apple ibook g3 logic board replacement page and show it to them, suddenly one of the sales representative said they had a customer before who have the same problem. she took my print out and bring it to her supervisor and yes they will replace it.

damn, they almost had me though.

by the way how do i know if they will replace the logicboard with the newest ibook logicboard? what if they replace it wit the same model? is there a serial number or something that i can check with?

and should i keep the ibook?

visor

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
in bed
DeeJay said:
by the way how do i know if they will replace the logicboard with the newest ibook logicboard? what if they replace it wit the same model? is there a serial number or something that i can check with?

and should i keep the ibook?

It will not be the same version of the board. Chances are that the new one has considerably faster graphics. and will turn the fan on more often.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.