PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Is Banned in Bill Gates, Refuses To Buy Kids Anything Apple

OnlyOneThatEver
Mar 2, 2009, 02:22 PM
lmao
http://i.gizmodo.com/5162674/iphones-and-ipods-banned-at-gates-home

GoCubsGo
Mar 2, 2009, 02:23 PM
I seriously question the validity of this, but whatever.

Tallest Skil
Mar 2, 2009, 02:25 PM
I seriously question the validity of this, but whatever.

I don't question the validity of his wife secretly admiring the iPhone, however. :D

She's having an affair with Steve and he's just laying low for six months. :rolleyes:

fireshot91
Mar 2, 2009, 02:39 PM
I'm sure that the Jobs' kids aren't allowed to have Zunes or Windows Mobile phones.

Tallest Skil
Mar 2, 2009, 02:41 PM
I'm sure that the Jobs' kids aren't allowed to have Zunes or Windows Mobile phones.

And both Steve and his kids have to hold back laughter when he tells them that they are banned from using them...

(the idea behind this being "why would we want to?")

S1XStringMayhem
Mar 2, 2009, 02:48 PM
And both Steve and his kids have to hold back laughter when he tells them that they are banned from using them...

I second that. It would be like telling your kids they can only drive the Ferrari and not the Saturn.

Small White Car
Mar 2, 2009, 02:51 PM
Well, I feel bad for Bill because in reality I'm sure he doesn't care about this. But he has to do it, because a photo of a Gates family member using an iPod would literally shave money off MS stock for the day.

I mean, we're talking billions of dollars in value based on a single photograph hitting the internet.

So really, he has no choice.

Tallest Skil
Mar 2, 2009, 02:53 PM
Well, I feel bad for Bill because in reality I'm sure he doesn't care about this. But he has to do it, because a photo of a Gates family member using an iPod would literally shave money off MS stock for the day.

I mean, we're talking billions of dollars in value based on a single photograph hitting the internet.

Ballmer, on the other hand, won't even let his kids use Google, so you KNOW that he probably only has parental security software for this purpose...

Apple.com (http://www.apple.com) and MacRumors (http://www.macrumors.com) are probably blocked, too.

But he forgot to block mammals.org (http://www.mammals.org) and pcrumors.com (http://www.pcrumors.com), so his kids get past that. :D

Macman756
Mar 2, 2009, 03:01 PM

But why would they want them? Gates actually has a problem, whereas Steve is probably saying, Sure, if you want a Zune, They are crap. LOLOLOLOL

kdarling
Mar 2, 2009, 03:20 PM
I second that. It would be like telling your kids they can only drive the Ferrari and not the Saturn.

More like between a RX300 and a Jeep.

One's a city AWD with pretty looks, and the other's a four-wheel-drive working vehicle.

winninganthem
Mar 2, 2009, 03:20 PM
Still, this stuff is pretty damn funny :p.

boonlar
Mar 2, 2009, 03:57 PM
Why would they want an ipod or an iphone with the money they have? They could buy themselves some kind of neural interface device rofl. Btw why people continue to bash Bill Gates after all the humanitarian good he has done?

heehee
Mar 2, 2009, 04:00 PM
The Vogue's article. (http://www.style.com/vogue/feature/2009/02/gates-of-heaven/)

fireshot91
Mar 2, 2009, 04:01 PM
My idea behind saying that was, They really can't use their competitions products.

Its like you owning Pizza hut, and every friday going to Domino's to eat pizza!!

branjosef
Mar 2, 2009, 04:39 PM
This is probably true. I heard steve jobs refuses to buy anything that's considered "open". He prefers closed systems. I mean he hasn't lifted his toilet seat in years. He uses a urinal. He refused to open the refrigerator because of fears that the contents inside might get compromised. Good luck trying to replace the milk in there or add a jar of pickles. The milk is fine and doesn't need to be replaced and the jar of pickles is denied because he already has a jar of olives and they both offer the same service...so why do you need pickles? You have olives..live with it.

gan6660
Mar 2, 2009, 04:49 PM

Well zunes are terrible anyway

iParis
Mar 2, 2009, 04:51 PM

I believe Gates has been caught using an iPod before the release of the Zune.

Zepol
Mar 2, 2009, 04:54 PM
hasnt he helped out apple before financially?

IJ Reilly
Mar 2, 2009, 05:01 PM

No. Anyhow, I wonder -- if the iPhone is banned in Bill Gates, if it's also banned outside of Bill Gates. I mean, I wouldn't try to eat one myself either.

kdarling
Mar 2, 2009, 05:07 PM

His Apple stores are allowed to use Windows CE mobile checkout devices, though.

zephead
Mar 2, 2009, 05:30 PM

Actually, yes. Back in '98, Gates threw $150 million Apple's way because without Apple, he would've had a near-monopoly and the Justice Department would've ran him into the ground.

Theaser
Mar 2, 2009, 05:35 PM
I don't think Apple and Microsoft are competitors in terms of manufacturing operating systems because one is open source, another is closed source. Zune was made for wireless music sharing and all that while iPod was more of a general media device (Face it, iPod isn't the best music player, it's just that its popular.). Different business structures wouldn't make them competitors. Both sides have unique traits and their computers have entirely different purposes.

t0mat0
Mar 2, 2009, 05:55 PM
1st shot of Gates Jr with Apple product will probably get widely circulated.

IJ Reilly
Mar 2, 2009, 05:59 PM
Actually, yes. Back in '98, Gates threw $150 million Apple's way because without Apple, he would've had a near-monopoly and the Justice Department would've ran him into the ground.

Actually, no -- this is a myth. Microsoft "invested" $150 million in Apple as part of the settlement of a long-running lawsuit. This is completely OT of course, but it must be said that this is one of the most persistent myths in the history of technology.

MacFly123
Mar 2, 2009, 06:04 PM

LOL!!! Did you think before honestly saying that??? Why would they want anything Microsoft lol :p

Honestly though I have wondered before, there must be SOME PCs at Apple headquarters that they use at least in their development of Windows apps etc and visa versa with Macs at Microsoft so they can copy everything lol ;) But seriously, can anyone confirm any Microsoft or PC computers or software that is used at Apple headquarters or the inverse at Microsoft???

NT1440
Mar 2, 2009, 06:06 PM
Is it surprising that the Iphone is banned in Bill Gates? Who honestly wants a competitor's device inside them?;)

rollingstart
Mar 2, 2009, 06:14 PM
But why would they want them? Gates actually has a problem, whereas Steve is probably saying, Sure, if you want a Zune, They are crap. LOLOLOLOL

Clueless Apple fanboys, keep bashing the Zune. Keep knocking something you have absolutely zero knowledge of or actual experience with :rolleyes:

NT1440
Mar 2, 2009, 06:17 PM
Clueless Apple fanboys, keep bashing the Zune. Keep knocking something you have absolutely zero knowledge of or actual experience with :rolleyes:

How do you know he's never used a Zune? I had the "pleasure" of using one for a week and hated it. Mind you this was during the whole fiasco where installing the software for it wasn't working on MANY computers.

Things have changed since then, but as Microsoft knows all too well, first impressions are everything (Vista, case in point. Nice OS (now that its been fixed up) but HORRIBLE reputation that forced them to rebrand to win7).

liquidtrend
Mar 2, 2009, 06:19 PM

clueless members making clueless comments about other peoples clueless comments.

the zune is cool. i have a 30gb and an 80gb. so ive lived throughout the entire collection of zune generations. i personally hate the zune OS and the zune software for the computer. i do, however, LOVE the subscription serves for the "all you can eat" plan.

the ipod is cool. ive had multiple generations, as well as my 16gb iphone. i love itunes on my mac and on all my pc's. i hate the fact that there is no "all you can eat" plan for itunes. but i do, however, LOVE the UI and how simple everything is.

why am i even commenting on all of this?
because i hate fan boy bashers more than fan boys.
if someone particularly doesnt like the zune for no reason whatsoever, then they are a douche.
if someone finds the need to go about calling out people and labeling them as internet stereotypes...they are bigger douches.

gan6660
Mar 2, 2009, 06:20 PM
LOL!!! Did you think before honestly saying that??? Why would they want anything Microsoft lol :p

Honestly though I have wondered before, there must be SOME PCs at Apple headquarters that they use at least in their development of Windows apps etc and visa versa with Macs at Microsoft so they can copy everything lol ;) But seriously, can anyone confirm any Microsoft or PC computers or software that is used at Apple headquarters or the inverse at Microsoft???

Why would that be Macs can run windows.

NT1440
Mar 2, 2009, 06:22 PM
Why would that be Macs can run windows.

True, but im 100% sure that as with all companies, they have some competitors products laying around to see what they have to offer.

Stuart in Oz
Mar 2, 2009, 09:26 PM
On the bright side for his kids, they don't need to do drugs, grow long hair or sleep around to rebel in their teenage years.

Simply buying an iPhone 3G should be quite enough to send Dad through the roof. :D

branjosef
Mar 2, 2009, 09:40 PM
poor kids... they already have so many strikes against them in the first place...now no apple products? whats next?

Acronym
Mar 2, 2009, 10:11 PM
I use vista be Pc's all the time I personaly like them better then macs I find the user interface to be more friendly I do however like the iPhone being as I own one.

I guess I have always prefered Pc's over macs. Besides doesn't matter which one you use they will both take over the world C being dr. Evil and apple being number 2

TheOrioles33
Mar 3, 2009, 08:51 AM
I use vista be Pc's all the time I personaly like them better then macs I find the user interface to be more friendly.

You did not just say that?! :)

Hudzilla
Mar 3, 2009, 09:00 AM
Is this really news?

I mean, it isn't surprising as someone stated earlier that it would make microsoft look like a laughing stock.

If I owned a company and my rival has product that competes with mine, I wouldn't be happy if my wife and kids used the rivals product.
It's pure common sense.

Knowlege Bomb
Mar 3, 2009, 10:13 AM
This is probably true. I heard steve jobs refuses to buy anything that's considered "open". He prefers closed systems. I mean he hasn't lifted his toilet seat in years. He uses a urinal. He refused to open the refrigerator because of fears that the contents inside might get compromised. Good luck trying to replace the milk in there or add a jar of pickles. The milk is fine and doesn't need to be replaced and the jar of pickles is denied because he already has a jar of olives and they both offer the same service...so why do you need pickles? You have olives..live with it.

:confused:

What the devil are you going on about?? :D

Edit: Olives and pickles DO NOT offer the same service. Olives are nasty. Pickles = Bliss

Rob Mclovin
Mar 3, 2009, 10:47 AM
Doesnt Bill Gates still own a very small part of Apple?

IJ Reilly
Mar 3, 2009, 10:50 AM

No. He never did.

Gix1k
Mar 3, 2009, 11:08 AM
I'm sure his kids have whatever they want.

Don't panic
Mar 3, 2009, 11:28 AM
Still, being a Microsoft child does carry unusual burdens. “There are very few things that are on the banned list in our household,” Gates tells me. “But iPods and iPhones are two things we don’t get for our kids.” Harsh, perhaps, but understandable. After all, it’s hard to walk around tethered to merchandise made by your father’s most famous competitor. Still, Gates acknowledges the inevitable lure of forbidden fruit. “Every now and then I look at my friends and say, ‘Ooh, I wouldn’t mind having that iPhone.’”

found this bit quite funny. I guess it makes sense that he has to stick to his company's products, but does strike as a bit childish.

on the other end the article is interesting and you have to give to the Gates that they are doing some fantastic charity work.
http://www.style.com/vogue/feature/2009/02/gates-of-heaven/

Ol3s
Mar 3, 2009, 11:32 AM
Wtf are u talking about. Of course Windows is better. No just kidding, it has wider support and is more used and even though i switched to mac, i am much more comfortable using microsoft word and excel than pages and numbers (however keynote is great). By the way all u brainiacs saying mac is much better, I hope you realise that u are a minority.

I like mac os x and windows equally, mac has better interface and works faster while windows has its own advantages by being more popular

iBlue
Mar 3, 2009, 11:33 AM
Interestingly he doesn't say macs are banned. I wonder what the policy is there.

I don't think it's so strange or childish. It's the least they can do to show a bit of support for teh Bill.

I can picture Steve Jobs being a hell of a lot more petty with his family and what's acceptable to him and what isn't.

slapppy
Mar 3, 2009, 11:40 AM

It's really amazing how this urban legend still exist and believed by many Windows fanatics. :p

Don't panic
Mar 3, 2009, 11:43 AM
Interestingly he doesn't say macs are banned. I wonder what the policy is there.

I don't think it's so strange or childish. It's the least they can do to show a bit of support for teh Bill.

I can picture Steve Jobs being a hell of a lot more petty with his family and what's acceptable to him and what isn't.

hehe true.
he's lucky that when he told to his family "no zunes in this house!" everybody rolled their eyes and said "du-uh"

MattG
Mar 3, 2009, 01:24 PM
Those kids should just get some of these...Bill would be none the wiser ;)

http://hideapod.com/

Antares
Mar 3, 2009, 02:02 PM

Well, (Intel) Macs can run Windows and Microsoft doesn't make PC's....

Dagless
Mar 3, 2009, 02:21 PM
That's rather odd. What are a couple of iPod sales in the grand scheme of things? Apple have probably given more away to "celebrities" and the like.

dmr727
Mar 3, 2009, 02:26 PM
Those kids should just get some of these...Bill would be none the wiser ;)

http://hideapod.com/

That. Is. AWESOME. Heh!

qrayg
Mar 3, 2009, 03:52 PM
Doesn't Apple use MS software for point of sale at their retail stores?

You're even Billy, a few iPods/Phones isn't gonna hurt.

notjustjay
Mar 3, 2009, 04:24 PM

Yes, on some kind of Windows Mobile PDA devices for POS work.

iBlue
Mar 4, 2009, 02:27 AM
Well, (Intel) Macs can run Windows and Microsoft doesn't make PC's....

Nooo, you don't say? :rolleyes:

Scarlet Fever
Mar 4, 2009, 06:07 AM

Not at the retail stores i've seen. The one I frequent uses Lightspeed.

drewsof07
Mar 4, 2009, 08:44 AM
No. He never did.

Bet he wishes he did now! Even since I started watching it in 2003, it has almost tripled in value, from ~$50 to roughly $160 per share around the holidays and following iPhone launches. Albeit its back around $88 now, but everything is down.

Old Muley
Mar 4, 2009, 09:03 AM
I'm sure his kids have whatever they want.

Yeah, when they want to listen to some particular song, they just hire the band to perform live.

ucfgrad93
Mar 4, 2009, 09:54 AM
Can't say that I'm surprised by this. Think Steve Jobs has any Microsoft products in his house?

Mintin8
Mar 4, 2009, 11:19 AM
Poor kids.

iRob213
Mar 4, 2009, 11:31 AM

Why would they want those POS's!:eek:

Airforcekid
Mar 4, 2009, 12:05 PM
They can afford that Norton and a new Zune every Apocalypse! I would make the sweetest Hackintosh if I were his kid I would have a few Macs spread out on a few my private islands.

alphaod
Mar 4, 2009, 12:08 PM
I'm sure Gates' kids have better things to play with like high end sound systems and cars. :p

Angie1313
Mar 4, 2009, 01:06 PM
I think with all their money, they couldn't car less...lol

"Excuse me, what did you say dad? I was too busy counting our money...."

Rodimus Prime
Mar 4, 2009, 01:14 PM

You're even Billy, a few iPods/Phones isn't gonna hurt.

And you do not get it.

The reason behind not getting them is for image. You just do not buy the competietors product if you are the CEO or former CEO of a company like Microsoft. You buy Microsoft products and use them.

I have to give Bill credit to stick to that one. While he may know the iPod is great. It would protray the wrong image if he or his kids were using one.

cjm3113
Mar 4, 2009, 01:35 PM
Now don't get me wrong, I am typing this on my Macbook and I love my iPhone, but Apple Fan boys make me sick to my stomach.

As far as Gates owning Apple, it would be well beyond any of our knowledge if Bill Gates personally owned stock in Apple.

mac.andy
Mar 4, 2009, 07:10 PM
Silly man. ROFL. So he's subjecting his poor children to Windows Mobile devices? Meh, whatever - but I'm surprised at Bill Gates, thought he was a bit more open minded.

Oh wow - it's not really Bill, it's his nutty wife Melinda. She's rather Hitleresque then.

Jmclark
Mar 4, 2009, 07:28 PM
What if the kids use Linux? :P

Jancy Mathin
Mar 4, 2009, 08:41 PM
This is a funny post and I enjoyed reading it. It made me laugh my stomach out when I first read it. Good work guys keep it up!

Theaser
Mar 4, 2009, 08:51 PM
True, but im 100% sure that as with all companies, they have some competitors products laying around to see what they have to offer.

Doesn't mean they will use them. I don't think Apple even looks at them as competitors. They have their own thing/targets. Mmm...Maybe I should try bringing my laptop to the Apple headquarters and see how they react.

NT1440
Mar 4, 2009, 08:53 PM
Doesn't mean they will use them. I don't think Apple even looks at them as competitors. They have their own thing/targets. Mmm...Maybe I should try bringing my laptop to the Apple headquarters and see how they react.

Tell us how the iDungeon is;)

Theaser
Mar 4, 2009, 08:58 PM
Tell us how the iDungeon is;)

Haha, and I will be in MicroDungeon if I brought a Macbook to Microsoft. I bet Microsoft have Macs to analyze and copy them, just like how they are creating Microsoft Stores.

rjohnstone
Mar 4, 2009, 09:45 PM
No... Bill never personally owned any Apple stock, but Microsoft Corp. did have $500 million invested in Apple at one point in time.

And the developers at Microsoft have many Macs laying around for software development and testing.
Remember, Microsoft is a SOFTWARE company that makes some hardware and Apple is a HARDWARE company that happens to write some software.

daihard
Mar 4, 2009, 09:47 PM

I don't think so. I mean, why would Jobs ban something that's not even half as good as his own products? :D

NT1440
Mar 4, 2009, 09:47 PM
No... Bill never personally owned any Apple stock, but Microsoft Corp. did have $500 million invested in Apple at one point in time.

And the developers at Microsoft have many Macs laying around for software development and testing.
Remember, Microsoft is a SOFTWARE company that makes some hardware and Apple is a HARDWARE company that happens to write some software.

I thought it was 150 million?:confused:

Theaser
Mar 4, 2009, 09:53 PM
I don't think so. I mean, why would Jobs ban something that's not even half as good as his own products? :D

I'm sure Jobs buy the Zunes for them to play around as kiddie toys or as paperweights.

rjohnstone
Mar 4, 2009, 10:01 PM
I thought it was 150 million?:confused:
You may be right.
I know it was a pretty obscene amount given that they were "competitors".
I know MS did it to avoid some anti-trust litigation.

-kumar-
Mar 4, 2009, 10:05 PM

hahahah im sure the jobs kids DONT WANT Zunes or Windows Mobile phones, CAUSE APPLE PWNS! lol

Acronym
Mar 4, 2009, 10:43 PM
You did not just say that?! :)

actualy I did say that and I stand by it.

IJ Reilly
Mar 4, 2009, 11:07 PM
You may be right.
I know it was a pretty obscene amount given that they were "competitors".
I know MS did it to avoid some anti-trust litigation.

No, no, no, no, no.

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1001-202143.html

http://news.cnet.com/Microsoft,-Apple-alliance-at-key-juncture/2100-1040_3-843145.html

http://www.pcworld.com/article/5156/microsoft_to_invest_in_apple_jobs_ellison_on_board.html

NT1440
Mar 4, 2009, 11:08 PM
No, no, no, no, no.

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-842879.html

bad linky:(

news.com.com :confused:

remmy
Mar 5, 2009, 12:13 PM
Wonder if they have to use a zune or they can use another competitor other than apples offering. If I had a 0.1% of there wealth I would be tempted by Archos's offerings.

RedTomato
Mar 5, 2009, 06:57 PM
That's going in my sig!

See below for great win.

mkrishnan
Mar 5, 2009, 07:01 PM
That's going in my sig!

See below for great win.

Is it worthy of the FAIL to point out that you attributed the quote to the wrong person? It was said by Melinda Gates....

NT1440
Mar 5, 2009, 07:02 PM
That's going in my sig!

See below for great win.

From what I read that quote was from Melinda Gates....

Edit: Damn you mkrishnan! >=(

RedTomato
Mar 5, 2009, 07:26 PM
Oh oops I didn't read the whole article. The full quote:

“They go to parks, have playdates and sleep-overs. Melinda is fierce about this. There will be no bubble for them; these children will not turn out to be Paris Hilton.” Still, being a Microsoft child does carry unusual burdens. “There are very few things that are on the banned list in our household,” Gates tells me. “But iPods and iPhones are two things we don’t get for our kids.” Harsh, perhaps, but understandable. After all, it’s hard to walk around tethered to merchandise made by your father’s most famous competitor. Still, Gates acknowledges the inevitable lure of forbidden fruit. “Every now and then I look at my friends and say, ‘Ooh, I wouldn’t mind having that iPhone.’

Cos of the reference to Melinda, I thought it was Bill speaking. Turns out it was her brother speaking in the first part, and Melinda speaking the second part. Wasn't clear. I'll change my sig later, it's bed time now.

Edit: Sig now changed. For bitchy win, see below: