Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Teen pleads not guilty to impersonating officer

Jan 26, 1:27 PM EST
CHICAGO (AP) -- A 14-year-old boy accused of impersonating a police officer and going on patrol has pleaded not guilty.

The teenager appeared in a juvenile courtroom on Monday with his hands cuffed behind his back. A judge ordered that he be held at the juvenile center because he could pose a danger to himself.

On Saturday the teen, wearing an officer's uniform, walked into a police station and was assigned to go on patrol. He partnered with another officer for about five hours before the ruse was discovered.

Police say the boy did not have a gun, never issued any tickets and didn't drive the squad car.

The Rev. Roosevelt Watkins says the boy had lived with him for much of the past year and is fascinated by police work.

© 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
HAHAHAHAHA OMG.

Slow cops?

Or did they thought they were dealing with McLovin? (see Superbad movie if you don't get that).

Antares

macrumors 68000
The kid was a part of the Police Explorers. So, he would have learned how to behave and talk like a cop. He would have also learned a lot of the little details of what cops do on the beat.....so, it's not too far fetched that he could easily pull it off. As for looking young, it's difficult to judge without seeing how he looked in the uniform. There are many baby-faced cops in the force. One of my friends, from high school, does undercover work where he goes to various parties to busts them for drugs and underage drinking...because he looks 15 years younger than he actually is.

When I first heard about this on the news, I couldn't help but laugh. He worked a whole shift and nobody caught on. The only reason he was caught was because when they returned to the station after the shift, the sgt noticed that he wasn't wearing a gun and didn't have a badge on the outside of his vest. How did his partner not catch on at all during the shift? So much for observation skills....

rpaloalto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
Palo Alto CA.
LOL
I could see a 16 year old, maybe pulling this off. A 14 year old, you have to be kidding. Would of been even more funny if they issued him a gun:eek:

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
14-Year-Old Impersonates Cop in Chicago

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28861227/?GT1=43001

I read in the LA Times he actually aided in arresting someone. Honestly I'd let him off with no sentence. Then I'd give him an internship and early acceptance into the police training academy. Even though it's technically illegal, the kid should at least be allowed to follow his dream. :)

bobfitz14

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
i think the fact that he desires to be a cop and has been in you programs about being in the police force makes a difference. the article also said he didn't have any bad intentions really nor did he actually do anything when he had the uniform on.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
He should be allowed to follow his dream but he should also be punished just like anyone else otherwise that would give rise to brown shirts everywhere.

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
In the Times it said he was wearing a uniform and entered through an unlocked back door. I'm not sure how they didn't notice. Maybe he was really tall.

Meat growth hormones?? :D:confused:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
That kid is back...

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/...onator-stolen-car-chicago-police-charges.html

A teenager arrested earlier this year for impersonating a Chicago police officer allegedly led police on a chase in a stolen car before crashing it Friday, police said.

The 15-year-old was charged with possession of a stolen motor vehicle and ordered held in custody today by a juvenile court judge and has a May 28 court date, said Tandra Simonton, a spokeswoman for the Cook County State's Attorney's office.

In February the teen was ordered released on electronic monitoring by a juvenile court judge. Authorities believe he was still was still wearing a monitoring bracelet when was arrested again.

Nice.

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
My favorite line is: "After the crash, the teen allegedly jumped out of the car and attempted to run away. The teen grabbed a stroller and began walking with it, trying to blend in with a nearby crowd of people, police said."

He's kind of like that Craigslist bank robber. You kind of wish they got away.

rpaloalto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
Palo Alto CA.
Wow,
read the whole article, in the link above. This kid gave them a pretty good chase. He seems like a pretty bright kid. Just off on the wrong foot is all.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
The kid should just go ahead and get a SAG card and sign a lifetime contract as a recurring TV character on "America's Dumbest Criminals"

macryder

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2009
This is really embarassing. 14-year old kid impersonates a cop? Jesus Christ! He think he has the guts to face a policeman showing off his act of crime.:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.