PDA

View Full Version : noob question regarding gcc/xcode

Ploki
Mar 6, 2009, 12:24 PM
i started to fool around the whole unix system and got some source codes and i cant build them.
i opened up XcodeTools with pacifist and installed only gcc4.0.pkg, because i didnt want to install the whole 3gig package.
did i **** up here because apparently the things commands wasnt integrated with the shell?
or do i have to manually specify whatever that is.
is there anyway not to install xcode tools and have make it work?

the sources im trying to compile have a makefile with a switch so its really REALLY easy.

i know its a dumb question but i cant get my way around on it.. thanks.

autorelease
Mar 6, 2009, 01:10 PM
i started to fool around the whole unix system and got some source codes and i cant build them.
i opened up XcodeTools with pacifist and installed only gcc4.0.pkg, because i didnt want to install the whole 3gig package.
did i **** up here because apparently the things commands wasnt integrated with the shell?
or do i have to manually specify whatever that is.
is there anyway not to install xcode tools and have make it work?

the sources im trying to compile have a makefile with a switch so its really REALLY easy.

i know its a dumb question but i cant get my way around on it.. thanks.

You probably didn't install make, binutils, autotools, or any of the other utilities required to compile programs.

Documentation probably takes up 2/3 of the developer tools package. If you install everything but the documentation you should be fine.

Ploki
Mar 6, 2009, 04:45 PM
yeah i didnt. :S

nah, the developer tools essentials are like 2,5gigs. :S
and are not uncheckable.
so i would only install UNIX Development Support.
i dont need al that, i just want to fool around in the shell.

i guess i can remove it later form the Developer directory.

thx anyway

lee1210
Mar 6, 2009, 05:20 PM
I don't like to argue that resources are cheap, but as far as i can tell the smallest stock drive possible in your machines is 250GB... so 1% doesn't seem terrible to me. Obviously you want to use your storage for storing your things, but i wouldn't think the burden should be huge. You can always download and install the individual items you need, but it will be a big hassle.

-Lee

Ploki
Mar 7, 2009, 02:20 AM
yeah im installing it now anyway.
the problems is(was) i only have 3 (8 now) gigs left atm. :)

so now its back to 5 gigs. :D

mason.kramer
Mar 7, 2009, 09:30 AM
You need the stuff in the package. The developer install contains lots of libraries that don't ship standard.

Also, your computer's performance should be suffering as a result of having an overstuff HDD.