PDA

View Full Version : How much do you guys make? (for ppl who do iPhone dev as part of their job desc.)

fenrus110
Mar 6, 2009, 12:30 PM
Hope this isn't off topic, but I'm just curious as to what type of salary power I would have. And I am referring to full time salaried work as an employee. So you will likely have other skills and do other stuff besides iPhone.

I was originally hired 1.5 yrs ago fresh out of school as a Flex/Java/ColdFusion/DB developer (I would say I'm fairly proficient at those things). But anyways, eventually I was the one he picked to throw into iPhone development so I have been learning and developing as I have been going along. Aside from doing graphics, I would say I have a pretty good grasp of the sdk with published apps that are in use.

I'm still on entry level pay so which is why I am curious about this, as I think it is time for a raise and/or to move on.

ethana
Mar 6, 2009, 01:50 PM
It is my strong opinion that if you are a full-time iPhone dev working for someone else, you should be making at least $100k/year.

The reason I say that is because if you worked from home as an iPhone Dev developing apps on your own and publishing them to the App Store, and you worked 40 hours a week at it, you could easily make more than $100k/year.

It's one of the reasons I don't develop for others and I work from home. It's more beneficial to me personally right now to create apps on my own for money rather than give a big cut of that to my employer.

The app store is new, fresh, and a lot of people are making money. It's not going to be this way forever. Take advantage of that while you can. Or ask for a massive raise at work. If they don't pay you, go somewhere else that will. iPhone devs are in HIGH demand.

Ethan